• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube: "Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube". Bad news

winjer

Gold Member
For people having trouble with youtube buffering and pausing, try changing the Windows CongestionProvider Protocol to BBR2.

To see what protocol is being used currently, open PowerShell and run this command.

Get-NetTCPSetting | Select SettingName, CongestionProvider

Most people will have it as "Cubic"

To change to BRB2, use these commands with an elevated privileges (admin) in powershell:
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Internet CongestionProvider=bbr2
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Datacenter CongestionProvider=bbr2
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Compat CongestionProvider=bbr2
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=DatacenterCustom CongestionProvider=bbr2
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=InternetCustom CongestionProvider=bbr2

If, for any reason, you need to go to the previous settings, use this:
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Internet CongestionProvider=CUBIC
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Datacenter CongestionProvider=CUBIC
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Compat CongestionProvider=NewReno
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=DatacenterCustom CongestionProvider=CUBIC
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=InternetCustom CongestionProvider=CUBIC

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Bad news. Youtube is now going after third party apps that block ads.

We’re strengthening our enforcement on third-party apps that violate YouTube’s Terms of Service, specifically ad-blocking apps.

Viewers who are using these third-party apps may experience buffering issues or see the error “The following content is not available on this app” when trying to watch a video. We want to emphasize that our terms don’t allow third-party apps to turn off ads because that prevents the creator from being rewarded for viewership, and Ads on YouTube help support creators and let billions of people around the world use the streaming service. We also understand that some people prefer an entirely ad-free experience, which is why we offer YouTube Premium.

We only allow third-party apps to use our API when they follow our API Services Terms of Service, and when we find an app that violates these terms, we will take appropriate action to protect our platform, creators, and viewers.

• Rob, TeamYouTube

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've been using firefox + ublock origin and safari + adguard for safari and it's smooth sailing except sometimes on safari I have to reload to get video to run.

But I'm also on Europe and maybe that's shielding me of some of the worst anti adblock tech? I can't know.

Spyxos

Gold Member
How does that get determined? Does YouTube decide or the creator?
I can't remember where exactly I heard this, but a youtuber said that youtube suggests an extremely large number of adverts every few minutes. But the youtuber can adjust it afterwards. Most people probably don't do it.

winjer

Gold Member

Viewing content without being forced to watch ads is becoming painstakingly difficult, unless you have subscribed to YouTube Premium. At first, the video-uploading and streaming platform was throttling the performance of the clips, making it difficult for viewers to watch their content of choice.

However, it was not deemed impossible because those who possessed faster bandwidth could make things work. Unfortunately, that is no longer an option either because YouTube is skipping videos right to the end if you have an adblocker installed and enabled. It appears that the only option available for users is to watch ads if they want to avoid paying for the service.

Google is at it, again.
Fortunately, I still don't have this issue, while using Ublock origin.

Spyxos

Gold Member

Google is at it, again.
Fortunately, I still don't have this issue, while using Ublock origin.
I haven't got that yet either, but if it really does come. I won't watch youtube anymore.

Doczu

Still nothing on Brave and YT revanced on my phone. Gotta say those two are the most consistent working options for many

Cyberpunkd

Listen, I understand that they have to make money but throwing 3 ads before a video starts and 2-3 others in the middle of the video is not the answer since it renders the whole experience insufferable.

I literally can't watch YT on my LG TV 'cause of that.
Spoiler: they want you to buy premium.

LordCBH

Breakdown of YouTube experience:
Click video
30-90 seconds of ads, 50% chance they are skippable
Watch two minutes of video
30/90 seconds of ads. 50% chance they’re skippable
Watch 4 minutes of video
90 seconds of ads, skippsble after 30 seconds
60 second unskippable ad
Watch final 30 seconds of video

I wish Google would just go bankrupt man.

I wonder how the ad algorithm works sometimes… I once watched a video with 2 ads before it started, then again after like 3 minutes and then the rest of the video (30 min) was ad free… Really strange…

Spyxos

Gold Member
Breakdown of YouTube experience:
Click video
30-90 seconds of ads, 50% chance they are skippable
30/90 seconds of ads. 50% chance they’re skippable
Watch 4 minutes of video
90 seconds of ads, skippsble after 30 seconds
60 second unskippable ad
Watch final 30 seconds of video

I wish Google would just go bankrupt man.
You forgot about the Youtubers who advertise at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the video on top of that. This platform is completely overloaded.

LordCBH

You forgot about the Youtubers who advertise at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the video on top of that. This platform is completely overloaded.

How’s I forget

Insert:
Hot arrow button 9 times to skip sponsor spot
Immediately get 90 seconds of ads

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Works a treat

Spyxos

Gold Member

Works a treat
Thanks I will try it out

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Works a treat
Thanks I will try it out
It works, but for me at least there's still a delay at the beginning of the video where it kind of blacks out for 5 or so seconds. You can see in the background an image of what the ad would had been. Then you press Skip to watch the video. But way better than needing to watch a full ad.

Last edited:
They don't want people to buy just YouTube, they want people to buy into the whole ecosystem, YouTube Music etc, it's also why you cannot turn off YouTube Shorts despite them being shite. It's a very anti-consumer policy where the only way to avoid adverts is to pay for extras you don't need or use.

Holy, this is the dead of youtube as we know it. Imagine forcing ads. This is the end of YT. Where are the regulators:?

Last edited:

Renoir

I saw something the other day talking about the app will track your eyes to see if you are watching the ad. If not it will start over.
Personally I stopped using youtube on my pc. I have smarttube installed on my shield, and new pipe on my phone.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Same with the exception of pausing a video in a tab and coming back hours later when the browser needs to refresh to continue playback and then I'll be served an ad.

Ehh that's tolerable.

I just bought premium.

Me don't liky being targeted and manipulated in my own residence.

I take that evil shit personal lol.

Top Bottom