• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube Premium is getting a big price hike internationally

Spyxos

Gold Member
youtube-premium-alt-ap24-hero.jpg

• YouTube is increasing subscription prices outside the US, affecting both individual and family plans.
  • The price hike differs per region with some seeing changes between 30% to 50%.
  • If you're impacted, it makes YouTube Premium more expensive than Spotify Premium and Apple Music.

Several users on Reddit (2) report receiving an email over the weekend informing them of a significant increase in their YouTube subscription fee. In some cases, the hike is as much as 50%. The higher prices will go into effect in November. The higher subscription fee applies to both individual and family YouTube Premium plans. In Ireland, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Italy, YouTube's Family plan will cost €26 from November, up from €18 — an increase of €8. The individual plan is also getting expensive by €2 to €14 in these countries.

In Switzerland, the Family subscription cost is rising to 34 CHF from the current 24 CHF. The individual plan is also getting more expensive at 18 CHF, up by 2 CHF. Similarly, in Sweden, the YouTube Family subscription fee will increase from 179 SEK to 279 SEK. While most of the Reddit reports are from European users, Google is also jacking up YouTube Premium prices in the Middle East, Singapore, Thailand, and Indonesia. YouTube already hiked its subscription prices in India by 15-20% in late August.

Do note that if you pay for YouTube Subscription through the iOS App Store, you might see an even higher price bump from the November billing cycle.

Trogdor1123

How is Rumble by comparison? I don’t want the political stuff, just interesting ideas. Stuff like the backrooms (or paranormal stuff), science, real estate, and stuff that is insightful on history and the bible are my main stays.

LordCBH

How is Rumble by comparison? I don’t want the political stuff, just interesting ideas. Stuff like the backrooms (or paranormal stuff), science, real estate, and stuff that is insightful on history and the bible are my main stays.

It’s pretty good. And for mobile they don’t lock background playing behind a stupid premium sub. Seriously, fuck YouTube for that. Fuck google for blocking an OS feature like background playing.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
One of the few services I pay for. I also use it for YT music but this shit has got to stop. The ads are ridiculous

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Android:

Android (Music):

Android (TV):

Browsers:

Everything on your network:

If you have an iOS device and you're worried about this price hike then... well...
se7en GIF by IFC

Android:

Android (Music):

Android (TV):

Browsers:

Everything on your network:

If you have an iOS device and you're worried about this price hike then... well...
se7en GIF by IFC
Season 11 Friends GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Laptop1991

What a surprise!, not paying and never will, YT will just keep on doing it over time anyway.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I still pay $8/mo from back when I first got Google Music in like 2013 or something. The deal then was that the people who signed up during this early period would “never” have a price increase for the life of their subscription.

Shockingly, Google has not only continued to honor that, but has shifted to YouTube Music/Premium as the service, and I continue to be grandfathered in.

It’s honestly been incredible. I think I’ve seen fewer than like 20 YouTube ads in my life.

PSYGN

I still pay $8/mo from back when I first got Google Music in like 2013 or something. The deal then was that the people who signed up during this early period would “never” have a price increase for the life of their subscription.

Shockingly, Google has not only continued to honor that, but has shifted to YouTube Music/Premium as the service, and I continue to be grandfathered in.

It’s honestly been incredible. I think I’ve seen fewer than like 20 YouTube ads in my life.
Oof, I work for YouTube. Gonna bring this up, sorry it wasn't our intention to honor this.

ZehDon

Looks like they plan to continue to increase annually, then.

I used to pay for YouTube premium. Back when, it felt worthwhile at a few bucks a month. Now it costs more or less the same as any other streaming service. Google got greedy, and the only innovation they have left is how to wring more money out of their dwindling paying customers.

I'll continue to use Brave and enjoy ad free YouTube.

Cyberpunkd

TBH I tried Googling some walkthrough for Like a Dragon business management game:

Youtube: Talks about his channel for 2 minutes, doesn't have chapter breaks, switches to random shots each 10-15 seconds
Written guide: Clear and with good layout, all information is well organized. I can search for something that I want.

YouTube music is shit (as is all the streaming music). Guess the decision to cut on services is turning out to be better than anticipated.

Top Bottom