• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

Aeana

Oyashiro said:
I played like 45 mins of this a couple days ago and I'm stuck at the town. Cant figure out how to get out or start a new event. Do I just need to go around and talk to everyone?
You need to talk to the girl in the square, try to leave town, and then go back to the square, IIRC.

Grimmy

Banned
Aeana said:
They did. HMH has a great localization.

It's really too bad for Ys 7 then, although admittedly I'm not that bothered by it (Ys was never about the plot/dialog anyways).

What I AM concerned about though is The Legend of Heroes: Trails of the Sky. I really hope that they have the Half-Minute Hero translation team working on it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Still going through FF5 and a few others on PSN but I have the game :lol

I want to be able to talk about this but I only played the first bit of Altago. I don't want to sound too enamored but I love the feel of it already just based on the the look and presentation.

Oyashiro

Aeana said:
You need to talk to the girl in the square, try to leave town, and then go back to the square, IIRC.
I've tried that ;/ I go back to the square but no one is there and nothing happens.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oyashiro said:
I've tried that ;/ I go back to the square but no one is there and nothing happens.

Did you get stopped and told that foreigners cannot leave the town? Once that happens, go up to the fountain near the royal palace for the next cutscene.

Oyashiro

thetrin said:
Did you get stopped and told that foreigners cannot leave the town? Once that happens, go up to the fountain near the royal palace for the next cutscene.
Yeah, I did that first part. I'll try it out, thanks!

Aeana said:
No, they were never localized.

The PSP port has very, very long loadtimes and it's much uglier than the other versions. If it's absolutely the only version you can play, go ahead I guess, but otherwise it would be worthwhile to get the PS2 version or play the PC version with the translation patch.

Off topic: I am trying to finish all the Ys games before playing 7. For 6, would you recommend playing the PC version w/ the patch or the PS2 version? I would think the PC version might run at a higher resolution and look better but the PS2 version has additional content iirc.

On topic:
Ordered 2 versions of the LE for this. Keeping one for myself and giving the other one to a huge Ys fan I know for a birthday gift.

john tv

AdawgDaFAB said:
Off topic: I am trying to finish all the Ys games before playing 7. For 6, would you recommend playing the PC version w/ the patch or the PS2 version? I would think the PC version might run at a higher resolution and look better but the PS2 version has additional content iirc.

On topic:
Ordered 2 versions of the LE for this. Keeping one for myself and giving the other one to a huge Ys fan I know for a birthday gift.

Oops, misread your post and wrote a reply thinking you were talking about Ys I&II:

The only nice thing about the PS2 versions is that your level carries over from Ys I to Ys II. Otherwise, the extra content is totally not worth the low-res trade-off. Just use a PS2 controller and play the superior PC versions and you're set. (For Ys I&II, I might even just suggest the PSP version -- it's kind of the best version overall, since it has three different sets of music.)

Regarding Ys 6, the PC version is superior to the PS2 version, but the PS2 version gets the job done at least. Steer clear of the PSP one though - it's crap. Also US voices in the PS2 one are awful, so if you play, definitely play with JP voices. (Or just play the PC version, since it's better anyway.)

Felghana is my favorite of them all, I think. So, so good. I'd probably rank the series something like this (note that I haven't played Origin yet so that's not in here):

Ys: Oath in Felghana (PC or PSP)
Ys IV: Dawn of Ys (PC Engine)
Ys I&II Eternal/Chronicles (PC or PSP)
Ys 6 (good on PC, kinda so-so on PS2, awful on PSP)
Ys IV (SFC)
Ys V (SFC)
Ys III (old version)

I'm probably forgetting stuff here and there, but generally speaking, that's how I remember it. Also, Ys I&II is up there mostly for nostalgia. Overall it's not half the game Ys 6 is, but the memories are just so good. :) (If you play it just for the music, the best music of all the versions is in the PCE/TG-16 version, BTW.)

EDIT: Fixed Mask of the Sun to Dawn of Ys

Grimmy

Banned
john tv said:
Felghana is my favorite of them all, I think. So, so good. I'd probably rank the series something like this (note that I haven't played Origin yet so that's not in here):

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (PC Engine)
Ys IV (SFC)
Ys V (SFC)
Ys III (old version)

No Ys Seven??
Haven't played Oath in Felghana yet but otherwise I'd agree with your rankings, except I would put Ys III higher than Ys on the SFC. But again, maybe it's the same with you - nostalgia can make one a bit more biased.

john tv said:
Oops, misread your post and wrote a reply thinking you were talking about Ys I&II:

The only nice thing about the PS2 versions is that your level carries over from Ys I to Ys II. Otherwise, the extra content is totally not worth the low-res trade-off. Just use a PS2 controller and play the superior PC versions and you're set. (For Ys I&II, I might even just suggest the PSP version -- it's kind of the best version overall, since it has three different sets of music.)

Regarding Ys 6, the PC version is superior to the PS2 version, but the PS2 version gets the job done at least. Steer clear of the PSP one though - it's crap. Also US voices in the PS2 one are awful, so if you play, definitely play with JP voices. (Or just play the PC version, since it's better anyway.)

Ys IV (SFC)
Ys V (SFC)
Ys III (old version)

I'm probably forgetting stuff here and there, but generally speaking, that's how I remember it. Also, Ys I&II is up there mostly for nostalgia. Overall it's not half the game Ys 6 is, but the memories are just so good. :) (If you play it just for the music, the best music of all the versions is in the PCE/TG-16 version, BTW.)

Thanks for the reply. So far I have beat:
Ys I Complete - PC w/ Translation Patch
Ys II Complete - PC w/ Translation Patch
YS IV Sun - SNES w/ Translation Patch

Next on my to do list next are V, VI and III. Thus I think I will do V w/ the menu translation later this week and then VI on PC w/ the translation patch afterwards. For IIII I been debating if I should do it on PC now with the translation patch or just wait for the US PSP release to play it for the first time. Not sure what I'll do with that one just yet.

Once I finish all of the above (unless I skip III), then I will finally get down to playing VII :lol .

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
john tv said:

Ys IV (SFC)
Ys V (SFC)
Ys III (old version)

Er wait, Mask of the Sun was on SFC. Dawn of Ys was the PCE version.

(Also, I agree. Oath in Felghana is pretty brilliant. I've only played the PC version, though)

john tv

Grimmy said:
No Ys Seven??
Haven't played Oath in Felghana yet but otherwise I'd agree with your rankings, except I would put Ys III higher than Ys on the SFC. But again, maybe it's the same with you - nostalgia can make one a bit more biased.
Ah, well I'm still playing Seven now, so I need to finish it before I can say. I love the gameplay so far, but the world is definitely less appealing than that of the earlier games (might be the janky-ass graphics). But definitely liking it overall so far.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Thanks for the reply. So far I have beat:
Ys I Complete - PC w/ Translation Patch
Ys II Complete - PC w/ Translation Patch
YS IV Sun - SNES w/ Translation Patch

Next on my to do list next are V, VI and III. Thus I think I will do V w/ the menu translation later this week and then VI on PC w/ the translation patch afterwards. For IIII I been debating if I should do it on PC now with the translation patch or just wait for the US PSP release to play it for the first time. Not sure what I'll do with that one just yet.

Once I finish all of the above (unless I skip III), then I will finally get down to playing VII :lol .
If I'm not mistaken, I think Felghana PSP will have the same text as the PC one? Or...something like that? So it might be worth waiting for that one so you can give XSEED some $$. :)

thetrin said:
Er wait, Mask of the Sun was on SFC. Dawn of Ys was the PCE version.

(Also, I agree. Oath in Felghana is pretty brilliant. I've only played the PC version, though)
Sorry, yeah - I meant Dawn of Ys. Mask of the Sun is good too, but Dawn of Ys is awesome.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Is there any difference between difficulties other than monster toughness and character strength? Are there any events that only happen in the harder settings?

Oyashiro said:

Just to make sure, you aren't thinking of the little square you meet the little girl trying to sell you a flower are you? In order to get the sequence, all you really have to do is buy the flower from the little girl, go to the big market circle area that leads to the castle and Colosseum and talk to the lady with the flower cart in the lower middle of the area. After you talk to her, leave the market. Probably just go to another room outside of the market (I went to old town) then go back and a cut scene will start.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've not been too active here since I've been pumping tons of time into DQ9 instead. But I'd like to echo that the game is as blisteringly awesome as the localization is disappointing. Still a highly recommended purchase.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Teknoman said:
If people just give up on games THAT early on these days just because of some dialog scenes...
Hey, some people are playing games to play games, not read 45 minutes of cut scenes.

I just started this last night, second play after playing the Japanese version and holy hell the beginning is PAINFUL.

The localization is very bland after coming off of Dragon Quest IX, but it's in English and more people get to play this, so it's okay in my book.

Felgahana is the real deal though, I'm really excited to see how the PSP version turned out.

I'm crossing my fingers for an Origin port as well, just so we can have all the recent games readily available in English.

LowParry

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
My biggest regret thus far is that I started the game on normal. I should have done a harder difficulty, because frankly it's just too easy.

How far you in? After the first boss on Normal, I switched up to Hard. Was well worth it.

Oyashiro

Well, I finally got past the beginning (thanks guys!) and I just finished beating the first boss. Man, you guys weren't kidding when you said that in this game, leveling up even once can make the difference between beating and not beating a boss. A HUGE difference.

When I first fought the boss, I was Lv 2 with Adol and Dogi. I sat there and pummeled that damn turtle for 7-10 mins and I think the furthest I got was 2/3 of his life before he eventually kicked my ass. I gave up and went through the field 2 more times until I reached Lv 4. This time around, he was a total cakewalk.

I have to agree with the guy above. The game is pretty easy on normal, and I kinda wish I started it on Hard. But hey, who knows - it might get more difficult later on. Either way, it's still really fun!

Good to know others have noticed the translation is a bit off. I was definitely surprised by how bland the localization seems seeing as it was handled by XSeed, but I wasn't really expecting in-depth dialog from a Y's game anyway. It's passable so far.

Otherwise the game is great. DQIX and Y's 7 in the same summer. It's beautiful. :D

LowParry

Oyashiro said:
I have to agree with the guy above. The game is pretty easy on normal, and I kinda wish I started it on Hard. But hey, who knows - it might get more difficult later on. Either way, it's still really fun!

Do you want an honest answer to that?

Salaadin

The only regular characters that I can really comment on without spoilers are Adol and Dogi. Adol doesnt utter a word and Dogi still seems like Dogi to me. Im not sure what quirks they might be lacking that didnt carry over in the translation but the two of them seem fine to me. Maybe I just dont pick up on this sort of thing too well.

duckroll

About 20 hours into the game now. Really, really solid stuff. This is definitely the longest Ys ever, and not just because of cutscenes. Tons of content, and the scope is much larger than previous games. I'm pretty impressed that even now, the weapons still offer new skills to learn. Definitely a ton of variety.

Kinda regret playing on Normal now though. There hasn't been a challenging boss or enemy for a long time now. Will have to replay some day on Nightmare. :(

Salaadin

Teknoman said:
I kinda do :lol
just fought Geis for the first time
and i'm sure I have alot more to do, but playing on normal.

It doesnt really ramp up too much in its difficulty. The big problem is that the potions are so common and cheap (especially once youre loaded with cash) that you literally always have them on you and theyre more than enough to get through any boss battle Ive had so far at about 18 hours in.

They didnt alter Oath in Felghana at all did they? One thing I loved about that game is how any health you gained had to be dropped from your enemies. If youre low on HP, well fuck you. Dont get hit so much!

LowParry

Salaadin said:
It doesnt really ramp up too much in its difficulty. The big problem is that the potions are so common and cheap (especially once youre loaded with cash) that you literally always have them on you and theyre more than enough to get through any boss battle Ive had so far at about 18 hours in.

They didnt alter Oath in Felghana at all did they? One thing I loved about that game is how any health you gained had to be dropped from your enemies. If youre low on HP, well fuck you. Dont get hit so much!

Bingo. Potions are easy to obtain and money is very easy to get if you go on your exp grinds. Plus you have items that can get you more money and rare items for synthesized items.

Tek: I've been playing on Hard while the wife's has been playing on Normal. If she can go through bosses without a single death, that tells me that Normal is too easy. :lol I've had a few problems with some bosses (which I will not spoiler) but there are some where it's like I'm playing a shmups. Roll, guard, switch, roll, roll, charge, attack. Love this game!

Teknoman

Man...in that case, I wish this game had an adjustable difficulty feature during gameplay. I guess I could save that for whenever I decide to replay VII. Just ended up going through VII on normal since the PCengine version of I&II seemed pretty challenging on default settings.

Aeana

To me, it's flash guard that kind of wrecks the balance. Any difficulty level is "easy" if you master it. Then it just comes down to variable amounts of damage and HP. I'm actually finding nightmare mode to be a bore, simply because all it means for me is that bosses take longer.

john tv said:
If I'm not mistaken, I think Felghana PSP will have the same text as the PC one? Or...something like that? So it might be worth waiting for that one so you can give XSEED some $$. :)

Yeah, when I found out that Deuce's translation would be used by XSEED that became the whole reason for my debate. Play now on PC w/ a nice gamepad in higher res or play portably in a few months w/ some added features (they added some new stuff to the PSP port didn't they?).

Either way I am planning on purchasing every Ys PSP game anyways (most likely LEs if they are as nice as the 7 one) so that was never an issue. I have just been debating if I should play the PC version of Oath now and then replay it on PSP later or just wait and only play the PSP version. I can get the PC version from my friend who collects all versions of the Ys games :lol .

thetrin

duckroll said:
About 20 hours into the game now. Really, really solid stuff. This is definitely the longest Ys ever, and not just because of cutscenes. Tons of content, and the scope is much larger than previous games. I'm pretty impressed that even now, the weapons still offer new skills to learn. Definitely a ton of variety.

Kinda regret playing on Normal now though. There hasn't been a challenging boss or enemy for a long time now. Will have to replay some day on Nightmare. :(

I don't know. I'm not having much of a challenge on Normal, but I'm still loving the game. Don't regret playing it on this difficulty.

Salaadin

I wonder what all the townspeople and enemies think of the strange red haired guy and his buddies doing tumblesets across the land...

LowParry

Salaadin said:
I wonder what all the townspeople and enemies think of the strange red haired guy and his buddies doing tumblesets across the land...

Mega 64 should do a bit like that. :D

Volcynika

Hm, I finished the second temple (
the Fire Temple
), and a quick question: Is
the guy that's going after the altars / at the castle Ernst's brother? Just a yes or no will suffice!

Grimmy

Banned
FINALLY got the game! Haven't been excited about a game in ages :) Cover art isn't as bad as I thought, but gosh they could have used another font for Ys Seven's title...

First impression - hmmm, dithering and lots of dialogue... Then the Opening Movie comes on, the music kicks in, and I'm super happy. Now I have a perfect companion for my 5-hour train ride this Thursday :D

Salaadin

Well my complaints about the difficulty are biting me in the ass right now. Time to go grind XP/items/weapons/cash/whatever else might help me :lol

thetrin

Linkzg said:
Question for others around the middle point of the game
where are all those sealed walls located? I only know of two.

I've seen two, but I forget where they are. Do you remember? I'd love a reminder.

thetrin said:
I've seen two, but I forget where they are. Do you remember? I'd love a reminder.

The two I know of are:
one is on the way to Shannoa(sp?). There is a point where you're walking south and you need to go right to reach Shannoa, but if you go left, you'll find a wall with the mark on it. The other is next to that town with all the windmills. It is southwest on that mini-map inside of a cave (if you did the earring quest, one of the earrings was in that cave).

In Fire Sanctum and boss was wrecking me so I decided to go grind for better gear. I noticed that all the towns seem to have their own unique stock of equipment. It might be wise to check out all shops before tackling the sanctums because there is a lot of equipment to choose from.

I am now LV42 on Nightmare difficulty with 23 solid hours. I decided to go try those optional field enemies that were really over powered when you first meet them and I actually beat two of them! I didn't even expect to be able to take these guys until around LV70, but 40+ on Nightmare with decent gear seems to be enough. So awesome! I was hoping I could finish this game before the 31st and it's actually looking possible because that day is going to be a BUSY DAY for me(Vanquish demo, Metroid Other M, Valkyria Chronicles II, and Ivy the Kiwi). I just went back to college too and I hope I don't start messing up my current semester because once all these Sept/Oct games roll in and I am going to become heavily distracted :lol

thetrin

Linkzg said:
The two I know of are:
one is on the way to Shannoa(sp?). There is a point where you're walking south and you need to go right to reach Shannoa, but if you go left, you'll find a wall with the mark on it. The other is next to that town with all the windmills. It is southwest on that mini-map inside of a cave (if you did the earring quest, one of the earrings was in that cave).

Too late! i already found them :lol

Gazel Ministry said:
In Fire Sanctum and boss was wrecking me so I decided to go grind for better gear. I noticed that all the towns seem to have their own unique stock of equipment. It might be wise to check out all shops before tackling the sanctums because there is a lot of equipment to choose from.

I am now LV42 on Nightmare difficulty with 23 solid hours. I decided to go try those optional field enemies that were really over powered when you first meet them and I actually beat two of them! I didn't even expect to be able to take these guys until around LV70, but 40+ on Nightmare with decent gear seems to be enough. So awesome! I was hoping I could finish this game before the 31st and it's actually looking possible because that day is going to be a BUSY DAY for me(Vanquish demo, Metroid Other M, Valkyria Chronicles II, and Ivy the Kiwi). I just went back to college too and I hope I don't start messing up my current semester because once all these Sept/Oct games roll in and I am going to become heavily distracted :lol

Yeah, I took out the first one for the Dragon Orb, which is immensely helpful. Glad I did it before taking on the first Sanctum.

LowParry

Some twists! Boss fights are much much fun with later stages. Can't wait to get the last boss. I was some epic battle!

Top Bottom