• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

Teknoman

B.K. said:
What am I supposed to do in Shannoa? I've talked to everyone, but I can't trigger the next scene. The eldress never comes back to her hut.

Did you save Elk from the boar titano
?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm about to get the game in a few minutes so hopefully I can get a speedy answer!

How does this game compare to Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim on the PS2? I found Ys VI ok but I stopped middle way and got tired from it (actually, I got lost).

andymcc

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I'm about to get the game in a few minutes so hopefully I can get a speedy answer!

How does this game compare to Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim on the PS2? I found Ys VI ok but I stopped middle way and got tired from it (actually, I got lost).

what did you dislike about ys vi?

New Review up from cheatcc.com

http://www.cheatcc.com/psp/rev/yssevenreview.html

*sigh*

Now I'm not one to bitch about reviews too much but part of this one just got to me:

The music, on the other hand, leaves much to be desired. The same handful of tunes play throughout the game, and even though there is a lot of dialogue, there is no real voiceover. Ys Seven is definitely that rare game that is nice to look at but is difficult to listen to.

So in an interesting reversal she praises the graphics and shits on the sound. What. The. Fuck?

Now if you don't like the music, y'know, whatever, you just have no soul. On the other hand, the same handful of tunes plays throughout the game? Are you kidding me, every major area has its own theme, a few have two of them. The music is constantly changing, what more variety does this woman want?

She gave the sound a 1.5 out of 5. I have never wanted to bitch to a website about inaccuracy in a review, but how do you mess up THAT badly?

Jerk

Banned
bishopcruz said:

*sigh*

Now I'm not one to bitch about reviews too much but part of this one just got to me:

So in an interesting reversal she praises the graphics and shits on the sound. What. The. Fuck?

Now if you don't like the music, y'know,whatever, you just have no soul. On the other hand, the same handful of tunes plays throughout the game? Are you kidding me, every major area has its own theme, a few have two of them. The music is constantly changing, what more variety does this woman want?

She gave the sound a 1.5 out of 5. I have never wanted to bitch to a website about inaccuracy in a review, but how do you mess up THAT badly?

I do so have a soul!

And perhaps the music sounded samey to her and led her to think there was a lack of variety.

It happens to me a lot with Sakuraba (or whoever is responsible for shitting out some of the 'Tales of' Music)

Jerk 2.0 said:
I do so have a soul!

Apparently not sir. It's ok, a lot of people have no souls, you need to accept it and move on :D

And perhaps the music sounded samey to her and led her to think there was a lack of variety.

It happens to me a lot with Sakuraba (or whoever is responsible for shitting out some of the 'Tales of' Music)

Comparing Ys and Tales soundtracks could be considered fighting words.

But back to your point, the music itself is pretty varied between areas, the towns all sound different, the different areas do as well, its all in the same Falcom style but the feel of the different sections of the overworld is distinct. Granted, its not on of the stronger entries in the series as far as music is concerned, but a bad Ys soundtrack is still better than the vast majority of game OSTs.

duckroll

CcrooK said:
I love this game. Though it's very different from previous Ys games. And I missing jumping. Beat the second boss. Such a great game. People need more Ys in their lives.

I don't really think it's that different at all, honestly. Take a bit of Ys6 and YsF, mix in different playable characters from Ys Origin, and you get pretty much all the mechanics of Ys7. In terms of progression and pace, it's very similar to a normal Ys game, as opposed to Ys Origin.

The skill system in Ys7 is brand new and a huge improvement to the already fast paced gameplay, but it doesn't really change anything fundamental in the game design. It simply makes the game even more fun while feeling similar. It also helps to further differentiate the different playable characters beyond just their weapon type and regular attack combo style.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
andymcc said:
what did you dislike about ys vi?

I didn't really dislike it, just got demotivated after getting lost (I was in a plains area).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
bishopcruz said:

*sigh*

Now if you don't like the music, y'know, whatever, you just have no soul. On the other hand, the same handful of tunes plays throughout the game? Are you kidding me, every major area has its own theme, a few have two of them. The music is constantly changing, what more variety does this woman want?

The review starts with the following:

It may be difficult to believe, but the Ys (pronounced YEEZ) series has been around since 1987.

I think its safe to say you can ignore this crap.

ULTROS!

Got past the first boss.

I really like the battle system. Adol and Dogi run funny.

Corto

I need an adress to send a bottle of wine to the gaffer that mentioned the flash guard earlier in the thread! :lol :lol :lol

Aeana

duckroll said:
I don't really think it's that different at all, honestly. Take a bit of Ys6 and YsF, mix in different playable characters from Ys Origin, and you get pretty much all the mechanics of Ys7. In terms of progression and pace, it's very similar to a normal Ys game, as opposed to Ys Origin.

The skill system in Ys7 is brand new and a huge improvement to the already fast paced gameplay, but it doesn't really change anything fundamental in the game design. It simply makes the game even more fun while feeling similar. It also helps to further differentiate the different playable characters beyond just their weapon type and regular attack combo style.
Ys 7 is pretty different. I would say it's as dramatic of a departure for the series as Ys 6 was. You can dissect it closely and find the roots, sure, but the skill focus (and SP management aspect) and party element change the combat in a huge way. The addition of item synthesis and loot gathering also has an effect on the feel of the game, at least for me.

It also has much more of a story focus than any other Ys game, with a lot more dialog, and the way the story plays out feels considerably different due to the cast of characters following you around all the time. The added exposition made a huge difference for me when I was playing the Japanese version, and it actually took a lot of getting used to on my part. I'm sure you can once again look at Ys Origin to see the beginning of this sort of thing, but this goes beyond even that, and since this also has Adol and Origin does not, it's almost difficult to compare the two in some ways. In earlier Ys games, stuff would happen, and much would be left up to the player to think or feel about, but that's really not true for Ys 7 at all.

All in all, the game struck me as really different - almost too different when I first started playing it. I came around to the game's uniqueness after a while, but it really is unique.

mjc

So would it be wise to switch the difficulty up to hard even if this is my first Ys? I've played about 45 minutes on normal so far and it seems a bit too easy to me.

mjc said:
So would it be wise to switch the difficulty up to hard even if this is my first Ys? I've played about 45 minutes on normal so far and it seems a bit too easy to me.

This is my first Ys and I started on Nightmare. :p

ULTROS!

I'm on normal mode and I'd say it's quite easy.

Try for hard or nightmare.

Ricker

ULTROS! said:
I'm on normal mode and I'd say it's quite easy.

Try for hard or nightmare.

Okay,I`m playing on normal and that Boss in that first small dungeon(Turtle) absolutly owned me the first time,his health meter was barely down on my second try as well so I headed back to town...of course I was level 3,with no armors or upgrade and only Dogi with me hehe...am I suppose to recruit that girl in town before this Boss or I was to eager?

Teknoman

Ricker said:
Okay,I`m playing on normal and that Boss in that first small dungeon(Turtle) absolutly owned me the first time,his health meter was barely down on my second try as well so I headed back to town...of course I was level 3,with no armors or upgrade and only Dogi with me hehe...am I suppose to recruit that girl in town before this Boss or I was to eager?

Always make sure you have the best armor, weapons, and items availible. And of course beat up everything in your way to make sure you're properly leveled.

Jerk 2.0 said:
I do so have a soul!

Maybe with Sakaruba, but I havent heard anything in Ys VII that sounds similar. Most of the themes that follow behind one another in the story even use different instruments for the most part. Sure you can predict the fast paced overworld area music, slow paced dungeon music, and mid paced town music, but other than that, no.

Received the game today. Shipment only took 4 days from the US to the Netherlands.
Just defeated the first boss. Awesome game, love the combat and challenging boss fight.

Ricker said:

I was in the same position as you, but beat him on the 2nd try. Just a matter of learning his attack patterns, timimg your attacks & dodge. There are safe spots with certain attacks like the one where rocks come out of the ground. I'd also try to build up and save power to unload everything when he's woozy or "rush" appears.

LowParry

I thought Normal was a bit easy after the first boss so I switched it up to Hard Mode. Much better for a first time play through. Nightmare I'll tackle on my second play through. :D

Melhisedek said:
For a newcomer to the series what is a good difficulty to chose?
I'm new to the series, and I chose normal. 15 hours in so far, and it has provided a decent challenge, with no frustrations. It seems to be a bit on the easy side, however.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm an old y's fan having played y's 1-3 on the tg-cd and snes(and 6 on ps2), but the combat in this game looks so chaotic and unmanageable. Every vid just looks like an explosion of lighting effects and particles and I can't make heads or tails of what is going on.

It's the only snag holding me back from purchase really. So much positive love though , so what is the word on combat? It just seems so fast and frenetic for it's own good. Do you people find it less cumbersome than it appears? With the 3 characters all jumbled together is it awkward to make out what is happening?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
duckroll said:
Not particularly. You won't know if a certain NPC has a quest until you actually talk to the NPC. Sometimes a quest isn't available immediately, and might be offered later. It's not a problem in general though, since most quests seem to be general side quests with no expiry so far. The particular quest I missed is just designed really badly and really easy to miss.

If the NPC has an actual name, chances are he or she will somehow be involved with a quest. Eventually.

I make it a point to note the locations of all named NPCs and visit them after story events to see if a quest has been triggered.

Pangya

jaundicejuice said:
Finally got my hands on a copy, I've got to say that I'm quite impressed with the Limited Edition.

I kinda thought the opposite. The packaging is nice, but I wish the cloth map was made of a little bit thicker material. The music soundtrack also doesn't have a backslip :(

Aeana

Mejilan said:
If the NPC has an actual name, chances are he or she will somehow be involved with a quest. Eventually.

I make it a point to note the locations of all named NPCs and visit them after story events to see if a quest has been triggered.
I noticed some NPCs were named, and wondered what that was all about. I didn't make the connection. Those NPCs didn't have special names in the Japanese version, as far as I can recall.

Salaadin

Brandon F said:
I'm an old y's fan having played y's 1-3 on the tg-cd and snes(and 6 on ps2), but the combat in this game looks so chaotic and unmanageable. Every vid just looks like an explosion of lighting effects and particles and I can't make heads or tails of what is going on.

It's the only snag holding me back from purchase really. So much positive love though , so what is the word on combat? It just seems so fast and frenetic for it's own good. Do you people find it less cumbersome than it appears? With the 3 characters all jumbled together is it awkward to make out what is happening?
Its crazy but its not hard to follow. Seriously, for how fast and frantic it is,i always know where I am and what I'm doing. Its really, really good too.

LowParry

Brandon F said:

It's actually really not that bad at all. Very easy to manage all around and you pick up on what's going on. Combat is great and I can't wait to get further into levels for more skills to use. You can assign for different skills. And switching between characters is easy and adds to your custom attacks.

Tailzo

Brandon F said:

Many of the vids show people rolling artound like crazy all the time. You don't have to do that. Just roll when you need to dodge. Also, I change characters when I need to change attack time, it's done with one button press. It's easier to manage than it looks.

Corto

My only experience with the series was Ys: Ark of napishtim and I found the combat a bit shallow. This one though it's just wonderful. Managing soft/hard attacks with the different members of the party, the skills, the extra skill, the flash guard, these just made me fall in love with the combat, and I'm only just now finished with the first boss battle. This game will consume me for the next weeks.

duckroll

Tailzo said:
Many of the vids show people rolling artound like crazy all the time. You don't have to do that. Just roll when you need to dodge. Also, I change characters when I need to change attack time, it's done with one button press. It's easier to manage than it looks.

You kinda have to roll/dash all the time if you want to move anywhere at a sensible pace. Who the fuck wants to walk? :lol

Tailzo

duckroll said:
You kinda have to roll/dash all the time if you want to move anywhere at a sensible pace. Who the fuck wants to walk? :lol
Ok, you're right. In towns I roll a lot, but in combat I roll to dodge.

duckroll

Tailzo said:
Ok, you're right. In towns I roll a lot, but in combat I roll to dodge.

Right, I think that's what most people do. The thing is, Ys7 is also a game which is very hard to judge from videos in terms of how it really "feels" when it plays. It's too bad there's no demo for it on PSN, but it's really the sort of game which looks confusing or way too busy in a video, but when you play it, it feels just right and you always know exactly what's going on and what you're doing.

Tailzo

duckroll said:
Right, I think that's what most people do. The thing is, Ys7 is also a game which is very hard to judge from videos in terms of how it really "feels" when it plays. It's too bad there's no demo for it on PSN, but it's really the sort of game which looks confusing or way too busy in a video, but when you play it, it feels just right and you always know exactly what's going on and what you're doing.

True. And I think that even if you see the game, but you don't play it, you can get the wrong impression. My wife saw me playing. She thought it looked really hectic and wondered why the girl was shouting all the time. After that she didn't seem all that interested in it. But she loves DQIX.

Ettie

Dreamwriter said:
Not sure what AoN is, but the next Ys game they are releasing in the US, Oath in Felghana, is VERY hack and slashy, but with jumping and a certain amount of platforming added in. And there's some looting in that one, but not nearly as much as this. It's the game coming after that, Ys I&II Chronicles, where you just run into the enemy, no attack button; it's kinda like jousting, if you hit the enemy straight on, you will get hurt, just to the side (or the back), you probably won't (depending on your level and the level of the enemy). Still fun and challenging, but quite a bit different.

AoN=Ark of Napishtim

Aeana said:
I noticed some NPCs were named, and wondered what that was all about. I didn't make the connection. Those NPCs didn't have special names in the Japanese version, as far as I can recall.
I believe Xseed had a facebook contest, and randomly selected people to be the quest givers. Pretty cool promotion, in my opinion.
Edit: Link to story.

I am really loving this game. All hail Falcom for making it and XSeed for bringing it to the US.

But damn they sure messed up the start - you end up playing for like a half hour before you get to fight one real enemy, just going around town talking to people. They shoulda had the boat drop you off a little ways from town so you had to fight a few wimpy monsters or something (or run past them if you desire), just to introduce the action to the player. I'm perfectly fine with the story and RPG elements, exploring the town and talking to people, but I'd bet a lot of people will give up on the game before getting out of the town where the action is.

Aeana

I'd think RPG players are used to that sort of thing by now. It's not uncommon for it to take 30-45 minutes before the first battle in RPGs these days with all of the cutscenes you have to sit through.

But yeah, it is a bit lengthy. You can tell the Sora no Kiseki writers were on board for this one. Thank goodness for holding circle to fast forward.

got a 3000 today and damn the screen is way nicer (even with the interlacing issues) then the slims.

i didn't play for long but it seems that you have to wonder around before events trigger? i would prefer a clearer sense of direction for a handheld game but it isn't a huge deal since you can save anywhere.

Teknoman said:
If people just give up on games THAT early on these days just because of some dialog scenes...

IMO it depends on how much time you have to spend. i mean what if i could only play for an hour a day. one of those days would be wasted watching non-interactive events unfold. that person might think that there will be more scenes like this in the game and as such feel their time would be better spent playing something else.

Teknoman said:
If people just give up on games THAT early on these days just because of some dialog scenes...
It's not just "some dialog scenes" - after the intro dialog scenes and anime intro, you have to explore a sizable town, talking to everyone in it, before you are allowed out to your first fight. That's a half hour before you get to experience any actual gameplay, and not a half hour of watching interesting cutscenes introducing characters and setting up a detailed world, but walking up to people and reading things like "It's been so hot lately...it feels like it gets hotter everyday..." Definitely not a good way to introduce new people to a game series that's all about fast-action combat and fast-paced music (though at least they do give you the title theme before that half hour of standard town music).

Again, I'm not saying it's bad to make the player explore the town and talk to people and all that and go without combat for a half hour. I'm saying the game takes way too long before introducing players to combat. I like how Oath in Felghana does it - after the intro, you get into a battle with 3 or 4 enemies, and *then* you are taken to town.

My Nightmare difficulty quest continues! I just reached the second half of the game with the Sanctums and everything and I think I can officially claim this panther force of a game as my favorite PSP game of all time. I could go on and on about why I like this so much, but most of it has been said by other players already. It's just perfect.

I can't be the only one who noticed this:

1037l0n.jpg

Note: Hardly spoilers since you meet the king in like the first 30-60 mins and his condition is made apparent immediately.

Salaadin

The bit where Adol solos a titanos to try and prove his innocence and then escapes because of a Dogi smash was awesome. I love this game so much!

Top Bottom