• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

AwRy108

So, I'll be starting this over the weekend. I've seen a lot of discussion around which difficult to start on, and it looks like "Hard" has been deemed the best way to play. Anyone have more thoughts on this?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
AwRy108 said:
So, I'll be starting this over the weekend. I've seen a lot of discussion around which difficult to start on, and it looks like "Hard" has been deemed the best way to play. Anyone have more thoughts on this?
The difficulties are fairly true to their names, I would suggest picking one based on your experience with action/hack-and-slash games.

Princess Skittles said:
The difficulties are fairly true to their names, I would suggest picking one based on your experience with action/hack-and-slash games.

Unless the part I just beat was a fluke, you definitely starting getting a feel of how things are supposed to be played an get easier.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Volcynika said:
So are those early game titano quests supposed to be done later or are they even approachable early on in the game? I've seen a couple of them but wasn't sure whether to fight or not. :lol

I just beat them all when I hit 45. The first reward is a dragon orb that lets you regen health in dungeons. The other two are level 3 EXTRA skills for two characters, which they won't even use anyway until later in the game, so it's not worth doing it early on.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does it matter if you win or lose the solo fight with Adol
against Geis
?

You can lose that fight? I thought
Geis
was kind of a pussy.

Salaadin said:
Pancreatic cancer.

WHAT?! Shit, I had no idea Satoshi Kon died. :(

thetrin said:
I just beat them all when I hit 45. The first reward is a dragon orb that lets you regen health in dungeons. The other two are level 3 EXTRA skills for two characters, which they won't even use anyway until later in the game, so it's not worth doing it early on.

You can lose that fight? I thought
Geis
was kind of a pussy.

I did because I didn't want to use any items so I let him hit me until I was dead thinking there would be a retry but obviously there wasn't. :lol So I guess it doesn't matter then?

Paznos

Finally, my order that I placed last Wednesday from Amazon shipped a week later! :| should be getting it tomorrow.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I did because I didn't want to use any items so I let him hit me until I was dead thinking there would be a retry but obviously there wasn't. :lol So I guess it doesn't matter then?

He comments a few times in the game if you beat him that he was testing you, so I guess it's just different dialogue?

Well, I discovered enemy #101. The people over at Gamefaqs were correct. This is a unique enemy during the Sea Sanctum boss fight. If you take a certain amount of time during the bosses second phase, it will submerge the battle area in water and the boss will cast out these orbs at you from the holes in the wall. He will also dash out with a chomping attack during this phase. Well, if you let him submerge the area a second time, these shell like enemies will spawn from the holes in the wall where the orbs fly out of. This enemy is absolutely unique to the bestiary and is very much missable. So, from what I have noticed, there may be 3 missable monster entries. If you are a perfectionist, keep these in mind.

The main bosses at the three following areas summon unique enemies:
Earth Shrine
Wind Precinct
Sea Sanctum

I am pretty sure those are the only potential missable entries. You only need to kill one of each enemy during their respective battles to fill out their entire stat page. I know for a fact that the Wind Precinct and Sea Sanctum bosses have unique enemies, but I am not sure if the ones found during the first Earth Shrine were unique. I do remember the boss summoning two monsters during that battle, I just didn't check to see if they were unique or not.

AwRy108

Princess Skittles said:

So there's no major difficulty spikes that would make me regret my decision later? I'm quite experienced at this genre, so would probably start on "Hard".

robot

You know a game is good when you take bathroom breaks at work just to play it. Having an awesome time with it, around 8 1/2 hours in. Combat is a ton of fun.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Welcome to Ys games Gazel. Most of 'em have a number of obscure missables. And not just baddies!

I would just go with Nightmare. The first boss was hard for me because I did not have a grasp of Flash Guarding or the basic combat mechanics in general. The game is balanced so well though that the right level, item stock, and gear will make any boss manageable. I consider myself a pretty good action gamer too and I finished Napishtim on Nightmare as well so I jumped right into it in Ys 7. I get the feeling that there isn't too much of a difference between Hard and Nightmare, especially since the item stock limit is the same. I believe on Hard and Nightmare you can only hold 3 of each restorative item and 1 of revival items/full party heals.

This sounds brutal, but if you are a pretty competent player and sit with the game for a few hours everything just starts to click. Some games I would normally regret starting off on the hardest (like any SMT game for that matter), but with Ys 7, I never looked back! :D

Mejilan said:
Welcome to Ys games Gazel. Most of 'em have a number of obscure missables. And not just baddies!

Yeah, I usually hate when games have shit that gets cut off, but when it's this good I can get over it. I know that pretty much all the quests are missable to a point as well, but AT LEAST, the game warns you before the half way point to finish up any remaining quests. I like to think of Ys 7 is an example of an organized mess :lol

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
AwRy108 said:
So there's no major difficulty spikes that would make me regret my decision later? I'm quite experienced at this genre, so would probably start on "Hard".
I think some bosses may surprise you but nothing a few retires (and maybe a little leveling) won't get you past.

Princess Skittles said:
I think some bosses may surprise you but nothing a few retires (and maybe a little leveling) won't get you past.

Plus it kind of reminds me of Bayonetta in the sense that a lot of the time the bosses feel overwhelming the first time around but once you get the pattern it becomes a lot more manageable.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Plus it kind of reminds me of Bayonetta in the sense that a lot of the time the bosses feel overwhelming the first time around but once you get the pattern it becomes a lot more manageable.
Definitely. The bosses are the best part of the modern Ys games.

thefil

This thread is huge. I'd barely heard of Ys before Seven and seeing the activity here makes it hard to resist, especially as my PC is packed up for the weekend...

Volcynika

Question: (don't look unless you're at least at Kylos)
Is it beneficial to beat Geis? I didn't know his attacks so I got beaten pretty handily but I was still allowed to continue on after losing. Not sure if I want to worry about beating him.

Aeana

Princess Skittles said:
Definitely. The bosses are the best part of the modern Ys games.
Bosses are a major attraction for me throughout the entire series. Ys 2, especially, has some really great bosses. Velagunder (first boss), especially, blew my mind at the time. A shooter boss in an RPG was pretty novel (still kind of is).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
After completing this game, I plan on booting up Ys VI once more.

Anyone played Ys Origins? I wish it was localized in some way (PC/PSN whatever).

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
After completing this game, I plan on booting up Ys VI once more.

Anyone played Ys Origins? I wish it was localized in some way (PC/PSN whatever).
Ys Origin is one of my favorites. (Probably #2 after Ys 2.)
A fan translation is in the works, I believe... no idea when it'll be available, though.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ULTROS! said:
I've played and beaten it about twelve times, no joke. :lol

A fan translation was (pretty much) finished, but could not be released.

I'm willing to bet that Origin will show up on the PSP pending how well the Felghana port works out for Falcom.

Aeana

Princess Skittles said:
I've played and beaten it about twelve times, no joke. :lol

A fan translation was (pretty much) finished, but could not be released.

I'm willing to bet that Origin will show up on the PSP pending how well the Felghana port works out for Falcom.
It's still coming according to the site: http://www.figlidigaucci.eu/

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope that fan translation patch comes out soon though. Also is Ys Origins a good introduction to the series?

Still, I wouldn't mind a PSN/Steam release of Ys Origins! :D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ULTROS! said:
I hope that fan translation patch comes out soon though. Also is Ys Origins a good introduction to the series?
It's probably as good as any other game in the series but I'd REALLY suggest playing any version of Ys I & II before Origin.

Even though I won't be able to get my PSP until October, I went ahead and picked up my LE copy today. This game looks so amazing and I can't wait to finally play it. Has anyone listened to the soundtrack CD yet?

Volcynika

robut said:
Help with finding the second cave bypass, got to the desert one but need to find the second to get to Kylos.

Before the Byway cave (the one that leads to the desert) backtrack to a split in the path with a stone monument that tells you to go west.

ULTROS!

Melhisedek said:
What other Ys games are available in English? Fan translations and all

Out now:
Legacy of Ys (Ys I and II) - NDS
Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim - PSP/PS2
Ys Seven - PSP

Coming soon:
Ys Chronicles (Ys I and II) - PSP
Ys III: Oath in Felghana - PSP

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I've been lucky to sink in some hours into this game.

Damn this is good. My progression seems it shouldn't drag on too long (8 hours in now) and I've not gotten tired of the combat. Story is typical JRPG and I don't mind it. Localization seems fine to me, if dry.

Only gripe:
The opening part where you have to enter the center, try to leave, come back, etc. is HORRIBLE. WHAT THE HELL.

duckroll

ULTROS! said:
Out now:
Ys Seven - PSP

Coming soon:

Ys Book I&II is also available on the Wii Virtual Console.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Melhisedek said:
What other Ys games are available in English? Fan translations and all

MS-DOS:
Ys 1 (I think???)

Master System:
Ys 1

Turbo CD:
Ys Book 1 and 2
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (fan translated, a completely different game than Mask of the Sun)

SNES:
Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (fan translated, a completely different game than Dawn of Ys)

Genesis:

Virtual Console:
Ys Book 1 and 2

PS2:
Ys 6: The Ark of Napishtim

PSP:
Ys 6: The Ark of Napishtim
Ys 7
Ys 1 and 2 Eternal and Oath in Felghana official English translations are forthcoming

NDS:
Legacy of Ys 1 and 2

PC:
Ys 1 and 2 Eternal (fan translated)
Ys Oath in Felghana (fan translated)
Ys 6: The Ark of Napishtim (fan translated)

The main ones I'm waiting on:
Ys 5 (SNES)
Ys Origin (PC)

And I think a Ys RTS spinoff came out in Europe, correct me if I'm wrong?

Volcynika

Where can I get monster scales? Description just said from a monster that evolved to defend itself.

Also, any tips for the boss after Kylos?
The wind temple dragon thing.

fushi

Man, desert stages are always so boring.

Is it so that certain quests become unobtainable after a certain point? I haven't got the first two quests for some reason and I've spoken to pretty much everyone I've met up until this point.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
fushi said:
Man, desert stages are always so boring.

Is it so that certain quests become unobtainable after a certain point? I haven't got the first two quests for some reason and I've spoken to pretty much everyone I've met up until this point.

I don't agree, I even go back to the desert just for the amazing music.

ULTROS! said:
Out now:
Ys Seven - PSP

Coming soon:

Stay the fuck away from the DS version, I know Dreamwriter will come in and type up some insane defence for these remakes, but they are terrible. It wasn't done by Falcom, the games look low budget for a DS game, just ugly, ugly plain art with some weird tinkering to the core combat mechanic. They added button presses where none were needed. Buy Ys Books 1 & 2 on Virtual Console it's like 10$ and has aged incredibly well or wait for their re-release on the PSP. Don't buy the DS version, just don't.

jaundicejuice said:
They look low budget for a DS game, just ugly, ugly plain art with some weird tinkering to the core combat mechanic. They added button presses where none were needed Buy Ys Books 1 & 2 on Virtual Console it's like 10$ and has aged incredibly well or wait for their re-release on the PSP. Don't buy the DS version, just don't.

It was a bit of a mess, wasn't it?

It gets no love, but the Taito revision of Ys 3 might be my favorite entry in the series. It came out right before Oath in Felghana was announced. Really great art, solid/responsive controls, enhanced combat... I guess the only thing that's missing are the PCE-CD arrangements but these are still pretty wonderful. It can also be blown through in about 3 hours. Good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y_Q2vn-SyM&feature=related

Aeana

Ehh. Taito's Ys 3 certainly isn't as bad as their remakes of 4 or 5, but I still didn't like it very much. It is at least better than some of the other versions of Ys 3, I guess.

I always like to joke that Oath in Felghana was announced as a response to Taito's remake. "Here's how you do it properly!" I just wish they'd do the same for 4.

Volcynika

Urg. Still stuck on the boss post-Kylos (
Wind dragon thing
) Only thing I've learned from losing twice is
I need accessories that prevent petrification, and I need to hold R and hit the L button like a beast when I get caught in that whirlwind that does lots of damage

D:

Teknoman

RoodyPooUS said:
I must suck at this game cuz I am playing on normal and even then I die on the boss 1-2 times first.

Take your time, figure out patterns, buy the best equipment for the time being, stock up on items.

Aeana said:
I always like to joke that Oath in Felghana was announced as a response to Taito's remake. "Here's how you do it properly!" I just wish they'd do the same for 4.

That's always how it seemed to me. Taito released the game and Falcom swooped in to mend many broken hearts. You're completely right though, Mask of the Sun and Lost City of Sand were a complete mess and I'm really surprised they made it to retail. I haven't played either one in about 4 years, but I seem to remember the button response time for attacks was total garbage.

As for Falcom remaking 4, I'd love to see it, but I'd also love to see a domestic version of Origin. Guess the fan translation will have to work for now.

:Sigh:

Top Bottom