• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

Teknoman said:
Take your time, figure out patterns, buy the best equipment for the time being, stock up on items.

Yea I guess I just dont like failing, and I hate switching chars. I also dont buy items or upgrade EQ cuz I like to save money for end game. For example, I have like 60k, but I only just bought the 2k weapons (I was using the starter weapons until then) 10k for a weapon seems too much for me right now.

Oh yea one quick questions, do quest turn ins give you any XP? I have been saving my turn ins just in case to give my final party the XP.

Aeana

RoodyPooUS said:
Yea I guess I just dont like failing, and I hate switching chars. I also dont buy items or upgrade EQ cuz I like to save money for end game. For example, I have like 60k, but I am still using the 2k weapons, 10k for a weapon seems too much for me.

Oh yea one quick questions, do quest turn ins give you any XP? I have been saving my turn ins just in case to give my final party the XP.
Don't save your money like that. Each new weapon teaches a skill, and you're going to need those skills to be successful.

Teknoman

RoodyPooUS said:
Yea I guess I just dont like failing, and I hate switching chars. I also dont buy items or upgrade EQ cuz I like to save money for end game. For example, I have like 60k, but I only just bought the 2k weapons (I was using the starter weapons until then) 10k for a weapon seems too much for me right now.

They give you money and items.

You dont really seem to have to change characters for some boss weakness...at least at my point in the game. Either way, this is old school style. Upgrading is essential at all times.

Damn just started in nightmare difficulty, and I hate when you enter to fight with a boss, you cant enter the options screen and cant select "retry" to go back to a stone monument and farm a little more if the fight is too hard :S I need to get used to save always at the stones

Paznos

Finally got my LE copy from Amazon but still trying to finish up Peace Walker before starting this but not sure if I can wait any longer :lol

I assume the extra items / better chance for rares can be equipped on any party member and it will work for everyone? How about for the quicker skill learning items, etc.

RoodyPooUS said:
I assume the extra items / better chance for rares can be equipped on any party member and it will work for everyone? How about for the quicker skill learning items, etc.

The accessories that improve rare item drops, more money, etc. like the Bandit's Glove, do not stack. Apparently, only the character that makes the final blow with said accessories gets the bonus for the respective accessory. So, say you equip Adol with the Bandit's Glove, you are better off controlling him and making the final blow to get the bonus.

Well, I am in the final dungeon and the first boss encounter there destroyed me. I have only 2 sidequests left to do and I am not even close to being able to craft the best weapons and armor for each character. I have level 52 characters on Nightmare with 34 hours. So awesome.

Aeana said:
Don't save your money like that. Each new weapon teaches a skill, and you're going to need those skills to be successful.

Do you just have to fill the move exp meter once to permanently have that skill equip-able for all weapons?

jaundicejuice said:
Do you just have to fill the move exp meter once to permanently have that skill equip-able for all weapons?

Yea you just need to get it to level 1 then u can equip for any weapon. I think though if you use a weapon with that skill, you get xp twice as fast.

Gazel Ministry said:
The accessories that improve rare item drops, more money, etc. like the Bandit's Glove, do not stack. Apparently, only the character that makes the final blow with said accessories gets the bonus for the respective accessory. So, say you equip Adol with the Bandit's Glove, you are better off controlling him and making the final blow to get the bonus.

Well, I am in the final dungeon and the first boss encounter there destroyed me. I have only 2 sidequests left to do and I am not even close to being able to craft the best weapons and armor for each character. I have level 52 characters on Nightmare with 34 hours. So awesome.

Damn that sucks, I wasted a lot of money then.

Bleh, just got randomly spoiled for a huge plot point for this game. I'm not even going to be playing this for a while but I know I won't forget it. It's totally ingrained now. >_<

My copy arrived yesterday morning and I put in just over 3 hours. I'm really impressed so far. First Ys game and so the combat, especially given that I have been playing quite a few traditional RPGs this year, seemed far too fast at first but I've since got used to it and am really liking the fact that it is so fast.

The bosses are a lot of fun to fight too, probably my favourite part of the game so far as well as the music.

andymcc

Banned
FrostuTheNinja said:
That's always how it seemed to me. Taito released the game and Falcom swooped in to mend many broken hearts. You're completely right though, Mask of the Sun and Lost City of Sand were a complete mess and I'm really surprised they made it to retail. I haven't played either one in about 4 years, but I seem to remember the button response time for attacks was total garbage.
:Sigh:

i bought them all in a bargin bin at sofmap in japan and still have yet to open them. :lol

i have finally been able to put time into this and i gotta say, the music from the second temple is really awesome and totally stuck in my head. falcom are the best at this shit.

Is there any reason to use the new party members you get for a specific town? They disappear once you beat that mission so it seems a waste to use them instead...

This game seems meaty. I'm 20+ hours into it and I'm guessing there is at least another couple.

I'm still pissed about the seventh because almost everything else is complete :(

Finished the game on Nightmare. LV62 characters, best equipment for every character, all quests completed, 40 solid hours! So awesome! Ending was nice and the credits track was great. The game had such a good feel to it from beginning to end. Definitely one of my favorite Ys games (of the three I've played) and one of the most enjoyable experiences so far this year. I absolutely CANNOT WAIT to get OiF this November. :D

Salaadin

andymcc said:
if you've never played it before... you're in for a treat. it's my favorite game in the series.
Seconded. OiF is pretty fantastic from start to finish. Then again, every Ys game is so I'm not sure what I mean here :lol

Oyashiro

Hey guys, I'm stuck again. I just got back to the first town after beating the second boss (the big bug thing). I went to the castle and tried to talk to the King but he was busy and I get kicked out of the room when I try to go in. What do I do? I tried going around, talking to people, etc.

I'm a college student who has a lot of downtime between classes. I've been searching for a game to play once I finish The World Ends With You. I just want to know how Ys 7 is for short play spans (i.e. 30-45 minutes)?
Also, is the story a huge part of Ys 7 or is it well-liked simply for its music and gameplay?

john tv

Attackthebase said:
I'm a college student who has a lot of downtime between classes. I've been searching for a game to play once I finish The World Ends With You. I just want to know how Ys 7 is for short play spans (i.e. 30-45 minutes)?
Also, is the story a huge part of Ys 7 or is it well-liked simply for its music and gameplay?
Thought Parish's review summed things up nicely: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181111

andymcc said:
if you've never played it before... you're in for a treat. it's my favorite game in the series.

Yeah, I have never played Oath before and I have heard sooo many great things about it. My first Ys game was AoN on PS2. I then downloaded the virtual console turbo graphix Ys Book I & II ports and LOVED them! I also picked up Legacy of Ys on DS and played through the original again, but I didn't think much of the DS port compared to the TG versions I played.

eXistor

I'm really liking it so far, but I can't rememebr Ys I+II and Napishtim (the only ones I've played before this) having this much downtime. I hate the story and sterotyical characters and the localization is pretty crummy as well, I just want to slay monsters and get new junk. This emphasis on story is really dragging the game down unnecessarily. When it gets going though, it's a blast.

Volcynika

Hrm, not sure what to go for next. (Very late game spoilers, so probably only people that beat it so far)

I attempted the fire dragon and he beat me pretty bad where I only took out about a third of his health. I'm not sure how difficult the wind dragon would be, but the earth dragon was a pushover aside from his second phase being a bit annoying. Not sure whether to level up some or not.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Volcynika said:
Hrm, not sure what to go for next. (Very late game spoilers, so probably only people that beat it so far)

I attempted the fire dragon and he beat me pretty bad where I only took out about a third of his health. I'm not sure how difficult the wind dragon would be, but the earth dragon was a pushover aside from his second phase being a bit annoying. Not sure whether to level up some or not.

What level are you and who are your party members? Did you give them the best equipment? Also I suggest using the square button a lot and switching characters when your main character's HP is low (or the character you're using).

I believe the Wind Dragon is the easiest among all the dragons. Second easiest probably the Fire Dragon. The hardest was the Earth Dragon.

Volcynika

ULTROS! said:
What level are you and who are your party members? Did you give them the best equipment? Also I suggest using the square button a lot and switching characters when your main character's HP is low (or the character you're using).

I believe the Wind Dragon is the easiest among all the dragons. Second easiest probably the Fire Dragon. The hardest was the Earth Dragon.

My party right now (I'm on Nightmare difficulty by the way) is

Adol at level 43
Dogi at 43
Sigroon at 43

I got the equipment I could synth up and purchase at Kylos so I'm unsure if there was any better equipment, I checked Shannoa and Segram and didn't see anything that improved my stats.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm in the cave after meeting Aisha. The boss is tough...I can't flash guard. the bosses have so much HP...

Volcynika

Y2Kev said:
I'm in the cave after meeting Aisha. The boss is tough...I can't flash guard. the bosses have so much HP...

Tactics I used for this boss:
I played the keep-away game with Aisha on that boss. If you get her far enough away to where she can still hit him., he'll focus on the other party members closest to him and you sometimes don't even have to move when he attacks them. Then just wail on him with skills when he stuns himself.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Volcynika said:
My party right now (I'm on Nightmare difficulty by the way) is

Adol at level 43
Dogi at 43
Sigroon at 43

I got the equipment I could synth up and purchase at Kylos so I'm unsure if there was any better equipment, I checked Shannoa and Segram and didn't see anything that improved my stats.

Hmm... I was able to beat the boss at 39 but on normal mode.

I do remember moving left and right constantly when attacking him. Sorry, I don't think I can remember what tactic I used to kill this boss. :/

Volcynika

ULTROS! said:
Hmm... I was able to beat the boss at 39 but on normal mode.

I do remember moving left and right constantly when attacking him. Sorry, I don't think I can remember what tactic I used to kill this boss. :/

Hm, that's fine. I'll just
attempt the wind dragon next time I pick it up, should give me at least one level boost.

Volcynika

As a reference to what Ultros and I discussed earlier, I made progress

Just beat the wind dragon. Now I've gotta figure out the best tactics for the fire one...

Volcynika said:
As a reference to what Ultros and I discussed earlier, I made progress

Just beat the wind dragon. Now I've gotta figure out the best tactics for the fire one...

On that note, what's the best order to go in there? I just reached the point where I could choose between the 3 Sanctums last night.

ULTROS!

Freyjadour said:
On that note, what's the best order to go in there? I just reached the point where I could choose between the 3 Sanctums last night.

If you want the easiest, go for the Wind Dragon. Hardest is the Earth Dragon. Although I do advice you take down the Earth Dragon first.

Volcynika

Freyjadour said:

I found the wind dragon to be somewhat difficult (trying to win on my first try probably made it that way), but the earth dragon to me was easy peasy for most of the fight, his attacks are incredibly easy to dodge. Fire dragon seems pretty rough though. To level up enough, I just basically went through all the sanctums and activated the warp point before the dragons, and got the best equipment I could in Kylos. Then went to fight the other two dragons I hadn't beaten.

I'm really glad that despite my backlog I decided to purchase Ys 7. I'm on my way to collecting the third seal and it's been such an incredibly enjoyable game thus far. Ys 7 is such a refreshing change of pace after 80 hours with DQ IX. It's just nice to play a game this fast. Out of everything this game does well, that's what stands out the most for me, I just love the speed.

I haven't played a PSP game this much since Dissidia, and it's not because I lacked good games to play. Definitely can't wait for Oath in Felghana and Books 1 & 2.

Volcynika

Even more progress! Again, super late game spoilers.

Beat the flame dragon handily when I got used to his attacks. It wasn't too bad that time!

And a question for verrrrry late game stuff:

Is it worth to take the effort to beat Scias in the throne room at Altago? He does an assload of damage to me and while I could probably beat him, it would just take a bit of time considering I have to play a bit defensively so I don't get hurt.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Volcynika said:
Is it worth to take the effort to beat Scias in the throne room at Altago? He does an assload of damage to me and while I could probably beat him, it would just take a bit of time considering I have to play a bit defensively so I don't get hurt.

I never did, but considering beating
Geis
yielding all of nothing, I assume no.

I'm right at the end of the game, and I really really hate the last boss. The game really punishes people who use the same three characters the entire game.

Volcynika

thetrin said:
I never did, but considering beating
Geis
yielding all of nothing, I assume no.

I'm right at the end of the game, and I really really hate the last boss. The game really punishes people who use the same three characters the entire game.

Yeah, I'll just go through it.

And to your second thing: Nooooooooooooooooooooo. What's the point of having choice if something like that happens. :/

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Volcynika said:
Yeah, I'll just go through it.

And to your second thing: Nooooooooooooooooooooo. What's the point of having choice if something like that happens. :/

Last boss spoiler:
the game forces you into specific groups for each of the last boss' phases, with Adol fighting the final phase on his own. To be honest, I'd rather skip the first two phases and just do the last boss with Adol alone.

Volcynika

thetrin said:
Last boss spoiler:
the game forces you into specific groups for each of the last boss' phases, with Adol fighting the final phase on his own. To be honest, I'd rather skip the first two phases and just do the last boss with Adol alone.

Is there a point of no return in this game?

Salaadin

Volcynika said:

There is but its so far at the end that it doesnt really matter. If you dont mind spoilers, Ill tell you:

There are three enemies right at the very end. After you kill the first enemy, you can return to town and buy new equips, etc. Once you enter the big door to fight enemy #2, you cant return at all. Youll beat 2 and go right into the fight with 3. Your teammates wills ay something along the lines of "maybe we should make sure we have everything we need before we go in that door"

duckroll

Volcynika said:

There is no "point of no return" in the sense that there is no point in the game where you will be allowed to save but not allowed to return to previous areas. Obviously once you enter the final boss area, there is no more return, but you can always load a previous save.

thetrin

Salaadin said:
There is but its so far at the end that it doesnt really matter. If you dont mind spoilers, Ill tell you:

There are three enemies right at the very end. After you kill the first enemy, you can return to town and buy new equips, etc. Once you enter the big door to fight enemy #2, you cant return at all. Youll beat 2 and go right into the fight with 3. Your teammates wills ay something along the lines of "maybe we should make sure we have everything we need before we go in that door"

To clarify what you said,
the three phases you have to fight are all fight #3. Fight #1 and #2 are pretty easy and go by rather quickly.

RuGalz

Finally grabbed the game and put some hours into it. Loving it so far. I really don't have a lot of patience for RPGs any more, so while it looks a bit silly, I love how fast you can travel using evade. :lol Perfect game to chill with on my patio on this beautiful Sunday afternoon.

thetrin

RuGalz said:
Finally grabbed the game and put some hours into it. Loving it so far. I really don't have a lot of patience for RPGs any more, so while it looks a bit silly, I love how fast you can travel using evade. :lol Perfect game to chill with on my patio on this beautiful Sunday afternoon.

That travel becomes even faster once you get the warp ability. :D

Top Bottom