• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

Volcynika

ULTROS! said:
Just remember to take you time in the 3rd part. Also one of your characters should try equipping an anti-freeze accessory (like Dogi). Also flash guard would definitely help. :p

Yeah I got hit by that freeze attack on the first phase more than I'd like...I didn't know! I had no idea what accessories to equip going in :lol

Grimmy

Banned
Strange. Playing on hard now and the first few bosses were really tough. Suddenly, I get to the Fire dungeon and the bosses suddenly become easy! Inversely, I was kinda so-so on the game until I get to the Fire dungeon and the Wind Tower. The Wind Tower especially is a blast.

Volcynika

Beat it! End game spoilers ahoy

Adol was like 72 so the last boss didn't do much damage :lol (I got him there due to maxing out Pentagram). Cool fight though! Also, I accidentally hit the start button after Tia disappeared in the scene so I have no idea what I missed in the rest of the scenes post that. Can someone give it to me in a nutshell?

Very fun game though, I think I finished at around 26/27 hours.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Volcynika said:
Beat it! End game spoilers ahoy

Adol was like 72 so the last boss didn't do much damage :lol (I got him there due to maxing out Pentagram). Cool fight though! Also, I accidentally hit the start button after Tia disappeared in the scene so I have no idea what I missed in the rest of the scenes post that. Can someone give it to me in a nutshell?

Very fun game though, I think I finished at around 26/27 hours.

They all vow to maintain the balance themselves, and let Altago grow by prospering together. The End.

You didn't miss much.

done with the WT. that damn bird gave me serious trouble, i was practically naked and had nothing left and two more monsters were on the screen with one man down.

the temple before was great, the best so far.

Quick question for those who have finished the game or are near the end -
In in the Well of Souls, at the crystal puzzle. I know I have to open the eastern barrier to progress but can anyone give a step by step quide of which crystals to light up? Thanks!

Lain

Finally got my copy of the game Monday and been playing it since, this game is so damn good.
Love the music, love the gameplay, love love love the character's designs and art (<3 Tia).
I'm playing on normal and finding the battles with the bosses challenging but fun, although constantly rolling around is tough!

On my way to the third shrine I was thinking that I'm loving this game so much that I'm scared I won't like the next PSP Ys games as much simply because this one is already spoiling me too much.

Salaadin

Lain said:
On my way to the third shrine I was thinking that I'm loving this game so much that I'm scared I won't like the next PSP Ys games as much simply because this one is already spoiling me too much.

Dont worry about that. Ys 7 is great but Oath In Felghana is sooo much better. Its as close as you can get to perfection in an action RPG.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aeana said:
Persona 2's line is "let's positive thinking," so probably not.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were any multiple game references in this game:

Wolf Akela said:
I can't be the only one who noticed this:

1037l0n.jpg

Note: Hardly spoilers since you meet the king in like the first 30-60 mins and his condition is made apparent immediately.

Got to the final boss
after Tia
and unfortunately I think I'm gonna have to shelve this for a while. I just don't have the time for a battle which it looks like could take hours.
Scias
was long enough!

Other than that though, I loved the game. Battle system and music were excellent. Still really excited to the other Ys stuff that is coming out of Japan :)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ULTROS! said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there were any multiple game references in this game:
It's kind of funny (or sad) that the translation is so lifeless/poor but they still felt the need to desperately force extremely tired memes in it.

It really shows the priorities of the localization team.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Got to the final boss
after Tia
and unfortunately I think I'm gonna have to shelve this for a while. I just don't have the time for a battle which it looks like could take hours.
Scias
was long enough!

Other than that though, I loved the game. Battle system and music were excellent. Still really excited to the other Ys stuff that is coming out of Japan :)

Are you on the hardest mode and what level? Even by a single level up would make a big difference.

Salaadin

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Got to the final boss
after Tia
Scias
was long enough!

At level 60, the final boss didnt take me too long. You have to keep your gauges full and go crazy whenever you get a chance. Charge every attack before you make it and then use your best abilities on him. When his weak point is exposed, use your mega skill (I cant remember what theyre called, the one with the yellow bar).

The first form takes the longest because you have to work around those tentacles before getting to actually damage the boss itself.

finished the WT. i have so many skills by now i don't know which to level and use, all seem effective.

is there a maximum level for skills?

Lain

Salaadin said:
Dont worry about that. Ys 7 is great but Oath In Felghana is sooo much better. Its as close as you can get to perfection in an action RPG.

That's promising.

I found the Gavel of Souls, but I'm not quite sure of what to make of its description. It says it grows stronger with each kills, but I don't see it. Is it just cool text to give flavor to the item?

jmdajr

pretty much NEVER play the PSP, but I want this game.

I highly enjoyed Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, last one I played

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Lain said:
That's promising.

I found the Gavel of Souls, but I'm not quite sure of what to make of its description. It says it grows stronger with each kills, but I don't see it. Is it just cool text to give flavor to the item?
It'll get +1 on all stats every so often, not sure of an exact number but possibly every 100 kills or something.

jmdajr said:
pretty much NEVER play the PSP, but I want this game.

I highly enjoyed Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, last one I played

get it, now! it's so damn fast and a blast to play, been a while since i've had this much fun with a game.

Paznos

Just finished the fire temple and then got the scarlet crystal? Loving the game so far, love the combat so much.

Vorador

Banned
Around 20 hours in...

The Fire Sanctum was a real pain to get around with the lava floors and spikes. In comparison the Wind Sanctum is being a breeze to navigate trough. Plus is really beautiful :D

Imo Ys Seven is one of the better action rpg of this gen, if not the best.

Ricker

Paznos said:
Just finished the fire temple and then got the scarlet crystal? Loving the game so far, love the combat so much.

I`m heading in to get that crystal now....I hope
Tia doesn`t get in the way too much

Lain said:
That's promising.

Yeah, the second I got that accessory I put it on Adol and kept it on him for the entire game. When I was done the Gavel of Souls had a +22 in all stat categories. It's definitely an interesting accessory, not the greatest though. I believe every 200 enemy kills adds 1 new permanent stat to the accessory. Go to an old dungeon/field, put that on, and slash away if you want to max it out! :lol

i must say....
the gladiator fight with adol was damn awesome. almost naked with just one potion, i had to master the parry on nightmare or he would eat me every time. so far my favorite fight.

also beat the earth sanctum. the sanctum itself was great, but i had problems figuring out the second phase of the dragon boss. is there a way to completely dodge or parry his dashes? i died a few times to this bullshit even though i've played otherwise perfectly.

Ferga

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Got to the final boss
after Tia
Scias
was long enough!

Really? come on lol

Just farm for the best equipment and train til like level 60-65

Scias
took me 15minutes :\

Ferga said:
Really? come on lol

Just farm for the best equipment and train til like level 60-65

Well that's what I plan on doing eventually. It's just that Valkyia Chronicles 2 is calling me and Birth By Sleep will be with me soon and I can't wait any longer to play them :p

Ferga

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Well that's what I plan on doing eventually. It's just that Valkyia Chronicles 2 is calling me and Birth By Sleep will be with me soon and I can't wait any longer to play them :p
:lol i know how you feel

halfway through valkyria chronicles 2 and i have birth by sleep right in front of me

too many good games!

Bebpo

Banned
Just beat this.

Omggggggggggggggggggggggg
such
a
great
GAME

omggggggggggggggg

I don't even have any issues with the localization. It was simple and dry like a 16-bit rpg. Felt nostalgic and fitting since Ys is an old-school franchise anyways.

No problems with cutscenes, just tap*tap*tap and they take like 1 min to read and there aren't many. Story wasn't even that bad. Was serviceable to get you from one dungeon to another.

Pacing was fine by me. I know a lot of people feel it's too long for a Ys game. I don't feel that way at all. In fact I wanted MORE dungeons (even though I'm plenty satisfied with the number we got). I skipped all the sidequests and npc chatter and just blew from one dungeon to the next to the next and it was basically 16 hours of non-stop action with a few cutscenes spattered throughout. Felt great and the dungeons were really fun. Especially the last half of them which looked gorgeous and had more complex designs.

My only actual complaint is that after the first few bosses and until the last couple the game is too easy. Dungeons are never a threat ever, which I'm fine with. But the bosses in the middle are not really fearsome. Early on I was just guarding everything and for the final boss I was just guarding everything, but in the middle it seemed like why bother, just roll out of the way of most stuff and if you get hit here and there it's no big deal. I was also kind of glad it was like this because I felt a few of the boss designs were too chaotic and between 3 characters & 8 tentacles or other stuff it was hard to keep track of what was going on >_< But, there were some great bosses (the final part of the last boss is such a well designed fight. I got there with no items and after a few tries of learning the patterns I barely won and it felt great) and even the less than great ones were fun. But the dungeons were always a blast and it was real fun from start to finish. Didn't have to grind at all for anything, which was real nice. I tended to keep Geis with his xp up in the party so that probably helped. Finished it at lvl.61.

Music, as always for Ys, was absolutely stellar. Game controlled pretty darn well even on the PSP.

For Ys Eight, I'd like to see them ditch the party system because I think it'll let them balance it a little tighter towards Adol's stats and skills and make for a better, but still fair challenge. In the meantime I think I'll pick up Oath and replay it since it's been a few years since I played it on pc and supporting the series in the US seems like the right thing to do. Will also give Ys I&II another shot, though I've never been able to get into Ys I.

But yeah, darn good game. Would give it around a B+ solely because of the lack of balance in the middle, but otherwise everything else is fantastic. In fact, Ys' Seven was so enjoyable that I'm gonna take a chance on Zero no Kiseki because I'm curious to see what kind of traditional turn-based rpg Falcom can turn out, since they've been putting out such high quality work with Ys lately.

Bebpo

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
cool, nice writeup! which level of difficulty were you playing?

I play most games on normal. I'm a normal skilled gamer so it usually works for me :)

Aeana said:
Cool; glad you liked it, Bebpo.

And also cool about Zero no Kiseki. Now the party can be bigger than just me. (New screenshots todayyy)

Screens look kind of eh, but I liked the trailer! Since I've never played any of the Legend of Heroes games, it's tough for me to imagine how a turn-based Falcom game will play. The only Falcom games I've played are a few Ys games, Gurumin, and Xanadu Next.

Bebpo said:
I play almost most games on normal. I'm a normal skilled gamer so it usually works for me :)

that's cool, i was just curious because you didn't mention it. dungeons aren't a real threat on nightmare either, but you can die if you don't pay attention, especially when fire is involved. bosses on the other hand can be very brutal and i already got slapped around by some.

Finally finished it at around 26 hours. The last boss pulled a
remember how you used Adol the entire game? well, now use your B and C team! had to go back and grind a bit. The best is when I finally got to Adol and fucking destroyed him. Felt good, man.

Awesome game. Hearing that Oath is better has me excited for November. That and the lack of a party. The party in Ys 7 is better than most games, but I still don't like it. Too much compulsion about keeping up the right gear for several characters and whatnot. Hope that the next new game is just Adol.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Linkzg said:
Finally finished it at around 26 hours. The last boss pulled a
remember how you used Adol the entire game? well, now use your B and C team! had to go back and grind a bit. The best is when I finally got to Adol and fucking destroyed him. Felt good, man.

Awesome game. Hearing that Oath is better has me excited for November. That and the lack of a party. The party in Ys 7 is better than most games, but I still don't like it. Too much compulsion about keeping up the right gear for several characters and whatnot. Hope that the next new game is just Adol.

I agree with pretty much everything in this post. You'll love Oath. :)

General question about my progress: I just made it to
Kylos (the mountain village with all the windmills)
, how far am I into the game?

heh, not enjoying thwe game? if you don't do sidequest, you can add that up to 50%. it really depends on how you play and which difficulty setting you've chosen. hard to give exact numbers for that.

No, it's not that. I am enjoying Ys 7, it's just that I'm starting to amass a semi-ridiculous backlog of handheld games and it would be nice to put a dent in it.

Top Bottom