• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

I wish there was some...official way to buy the UMD and have to option to download the game in the same pack. This game is making me consider buying a PSP again, but it's situations like that which make me wonder what Sony is doing with the system.

Salaadin

patrickthehedgehog said:
I wish there was some...official way to buy the UMD and have to option to download the game in the same pack. This game is making me consider buying a PSP again, but it's situations like that which make me wonder what Sony is doing with the system.

Me too. I would love to have a digital copy of Ys seven but you cant get a digital cloth map :(

Takao

Banned
patrickthehedgehog said:

To stimulate PlayStation Store adoption, this is something they could've done. But the issue is that one could simply keep the DD game, and flip the UMD copy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aeana said:
Oath in Felghana requires a Japanese locale in order to start, unless you use the English patch which removes that requirement. I've never used Vista so I have no idea how to make that happen there, but for XP there's a program called AppLocale that will let you do it. Alternately, you can go to the region settings and set the language for non-Unicode programs to Japanese (this may work in Vista).

I used the patch, and it still wouldn't start. No idea why.

Salaadin

I think I got it working by installing the game > Falcom patch > fanmade English patch > Falcom patch again.

I might have run it under some compatibility mode too but I dont remember.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Salaadin said:
I think I got it working by installing the game > Falcom patch > fanmade English patch > Falcom patch again.

I might have run it under some compatibility mode too but I dont remember.

It's not a huge deal. I was just installing to play it for a bit.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
All ready to go with my new PSP 3000, component out cables, and a copy of the LE reserved down at the navy base I'm currently at for work. Really hyped, though I probably won't get to play much till after I beat DQ9. 2010 best year in a LONG while for gaming.

Aeana said:
Oath in Felghana requires a Japanese locale in order to start, unless you use the English patch which removes that requirement. I've never used Vista so I have no idea how to make that happen there, but for XP there's a program called AppLocale that will let you do it. Alternately, you can go to the region settings and set the language for non-Unicode programs to Japanese (this may work in Vista).

Non unicode program switch works in both vista and 7

Also: So hyped I forgot I ordered the LE and not the standard. Wooo map.

Ricker

Macstorm said:
My hands-on preview spoke for itself. I'm still enjoying this a ton... but what do I shill know?

Nice,just listened a little late to the podcast where you talked about that preview :D and was going to post it here hehe...

I like that you can save anywhere,convenient for a handheld game.

thetrin

Ricker said:
Nice,just listened a little late to the podcast where you talked about that preview :D and was going to post it here hehe...

I like that you can save anywhere,convenient for a handheld game.

You can do that in Ys games in general. It would suck if they took it out now!

LowParry

patrickthehedgehog said:

I'm buying a PSP for this game. You should to :D

Volcynika

Video Tour on the PlayStation Blog

Exclusive Tutorial on GameTrailers

And on XSeed's Facebook page they were asking about things to include with Oath in Felghana. Said a soundtrack was a given, and also put these two suggestions in a poll. They said these items may not even be included and they're still taking other ideas for bonuses as well.

Assuming that everyone has already pre-ordered their copy of Ys SEVEN Collector's Edition by now, we've started thinking about what we could do for a special edition of Ys: The Oath in Felghana. A soundtrack CD is a given, but we'd like to add another little extra with that.

We are looking at a 4" by 6" calendar or a decal for the PSP. Take a look at these mockup images and vote for which of the two you prefer, though no guarantees regardless of the voting outcome because there's still a lot of restrictions involved before we can finalize anything. This is just us thinking out loud and wanting to hear your feedback

Iflkx.jpg

MoxManiac

Calender. I'm not sticking that tacky shit on my PSP.

BTW, I started PCENGINE YS 1 and 2 book yesterday. It's my first experience with a good Ys game since my only other experiences were Wanderers from Ys III SNES (barf) and YS6 on PSP (port quality = barf) I plan to get all three upcoming PSP releases.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Port issues aside, AoN is an amazing game, even on the PSP (just bear with the loading issues).

And yeah, decals are horrible.. I hope they don't go with that. :\

MoxManiac

I might just track down a PS2 copy of 6..of course Konami fucked that one up too with the changes they made to the US version

Aeana

MoxManiac said:
I might just track down a PS2 copy of 6..of course Konami fucked that one up too with the changes they made to the US version
The changes aren't that bad, and you can revert some of them (like the movies). The extra Alma's Trials added to the PS2 version are pretty cool, too.

MoxManiac said:

I thought the PS2 version was actually a pretty good port. I actually liked the bonus dungeons since I felt it alleviated the level grinding a bit. Missed the chibi sprites, but having new armor actually show up on the character model was a nice touch. And you can restore the original intro and cutscenes via a code to get rid of the awful CG cutscenes.

Hate to say it, but I kiiiiinda like the PSP decal idea. Not sure about the art choice since Adol looks odd in that pic, but I really liked the scarf look they gave him in OiF. :)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
MoxManiac said:
There's no changes to the US version. What's new over the PC version (voices, CG intro, new levels) are present in both regions. That being said, all of the changes do nothing to the gameplay (other than adding the cool new levels) so this shouldn't even be a factor.

But yes, the PS2 version is the way to go if you're getting it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'd prefer a calendar that I'd never use to a PSP decal that I'd NEVER IN FUCKING HELL use.

Retishi

XSEED Sales
Looks like calendars are winning by a long shot. Guess everyone wants to see more artwork than just one on a decal.

mjc

You know, I do have one question.

Are the different armors and weapons shown on the characters when you equip them?

Teknoman

AgentOtaku said:
XSEED 5 Minute Walkthrough

Didn't know you could save anywhere! ...outside of Bossbattles of course

Sorry if old

Thanks for the heads up, time to watch :D

MoxManiac said:

Use the cheat passwords to change the language of the VA and the cutscenes back to the original anime. That seems to be the best way to play it.

MoxManiac said:
Calender. I'm not sticking that tacky shit on my PSP.

BTW, I started PCENGINE YS 1 and 2 book yesterday. It's my first experience with a good Ys game since my only other experiences were Wanderers from Ys III SNES (barf) and YS6 on PSP (port quality = barf) I plan to get all three upcoming PSP releases.

I was about to purchase it today...and I just need 100 more pts. Damn Nintendo for selling these in 1000 point increments. And yeah, calendar would be best.

Teknoman

Wow...just downloaded Ys I&II on the VC. The title intro of Ys 1 seems to have better VA and scene setting music than most current RPGs. Kinda seems strange to be able to play something (like Lords of Thunder) that feels rare :lol

Princess Skittles said:
There's no changes to the US version. What's new over the PC version (voices, CG intro, new levels) are present in both regions. That being said, all of the changes do nothing to the gameplay (other than adding the cool new levels) so this shouldn't even be a factor.

But yes, the PS2 version is the way to go if you're getting it.
The changes in Ys 6 when they ported it to PS2 were still made with the US in mind. The worst is how they uglified the graphics, both in-game character graphics and the large character portraits, because you can't enter a code to restore those. They tried to make them look less "anime", at a time when anime was extremely popular in the US. And that horrible, horrible low quality CG intro with bad voice acting instead of the hand-drawn anime-style intro with the great title song! The PS2 version never actually plays the game's title theme in the normal game!

Sure, the gameplay was still decent, and the story was still there, but a LOT of the Ys polish and feel was missing from the default experience, and you had to get codes off the Internet to restore some of it, and to even know that the game experience could be better.

vall03

so Im currently replaying Ys Book I & II on the VC in anticipation for this game, but Im wondering, Oath in Felghana is Ys III while Ark of Napishtim is VI. Which platforms is IV and V available? Also, from the looks of it, VI is not good? since I just recently considered buying it for the PSP...

Aeana

vall03 said:
so Im currently replaying Ys Book I & II on the VC in anticipation for this game, but Im wondering, Oath in Felghana is Ys III while Ark of Napishtim is VI. Which platforms is IV and V available? Also, from the looks of it, VI is not good? since I just recently considered buying it for the PSP...
5 is for SNES, and there are two versions of 4: one for PC Engine CD and one for SNES. As for 6, it's very good, but the PSP port is not.

vall03

Aeana said:
5 is for SNES, and there are two versions of 4: one for PC Engine CD and one for SNES. As for 6, it's very good, but the PSP port is not.
ah, I see but are they available in the US or were they never localized? Also, why is the PSP version of VI not good?

Aeana

vall03 said:
ah, I see but are they available in the US or were they never localized? Also, why is the PSP version of VI not good?
No, they were never localized.

The PSP port has very, very long loadtimes and it's much uglier than the other versions. If it's absolutely the only version you can play, go ahead I guess, but otherwise it would be worthwhile to get the PS2 version or play the PC version with the translation patch.

XSEED is the guys who said gonna localize Sora no Kiseki too right? well, I'm not a hardcore fan of Ys although I like Ys 6 on psp, don't care if it's a bad port or not since I have nothing to compare and played off memory stick so loading is not too bad.

I'm gonna buy this just t support XSEED.

how's the reception of Ys 7 in Japan? great game?

Aeana

Callibretto said:
how's the reception of Ys 7 in Japan? great game?
Well, I really liked it. I wrote a pseudo-review of it here. Most other people I know who played it really enjoyed it as well, and it has an S on mk2, although that isn't especially meaningful.

Paracelsus

Aeana, you think I would enjoy YSVII assuming I don't care much for previous installments and the fact I found VI so-so at best? I like arpgs but I need at the very least a hint of depth in the gameplay, hack and slash games I prefer to stay away from.

Aeana

Paracelsus said:
Aeana, you think I would enjoy YSVII assuming I don't care much for previous installments and the fact I found VI so-so at best? I like arpgs but I need at the very least a hint of depth in the gameplay, hack and slash games I prefer to stay away from.
Well, Ys 7 adds more depth over Ys 6 through party switching and SP management. The game is very skill-driven, and you need SP in order to use skills, which you can gain through a variety of ways, including my favorite which is a timed block maneuver. It's really fun.

If you don't like any of the other Ys games, though, I don't know whether you'd like 7 or not. It's quite a departure for the series, but it's still very much an Ys game.

is there any party AI in this? in the video all 3 characters are visible and 2 character follow the controlled characters around. do they attack too, can they get hurt by enemy attack so I have to constantly keep watch for their hp as well?

seems like useless addition if the party member do nothing, different attack type can simply be changed to real time weapon changing.

Aeana

Callibretto said:
is there any party AI in this? in the video all 3 characters are visible and 2 character follow the controlled characters around. do they attack too, can they get hurt by enemy attack so I have to constantly keep watch for their hp as well?

seems like useless addition if the party member do nothing, different attack type can simply be changed to real time weapon changing.
Party members attack on their own, yes, and they're also very good at avoiding damage in many cases. You don't really have to babysit them very much.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Aeana said:
No, they were never localized.

The PSP port has very, very long loadtimes and it's much uglier than the other versions. If it's absolutely the only version you can play, go ahead I guess, but otherwise it would be worthwhile to get the PS2 version or play the PC version with the translation patch.

The PSP version has the original artwork and no 3d Adol, plus no horrible CG movie. The load times were never an issue when I played, I actually thought people were exagerating. I preferred the PSP version myself.

THe ports of Ys 6 aren't nearly as bad as people say. Well, the PSP port plays perfectly off of a memory stick, and with the input of a simple code the PS2 one is pretty much the PC version with downgraded graphics, and polys instead of sprites. Worse case you could always import the PC one and patch it as well.

I've been pretty ambivalent about Ys 7, wasn't too sure if I wanted to buy it given that I've got Dragon Quest IX on the go still (50 hours in), I shelved SMT: Strange Journey for DQIX, I've purchased Persona 3 Portable at launch and have yet to even play it. After watching that 5 minute walkthrough though, Ys 7 just looks so damned awesome, it looks like it could be the first game since Dissidia to get my to blow the dust off of my PSP and really use it for hours on end. Plus it's going to be a limited print run...so how can I not buy it? Right?

And then Valkyria Chronicles comes out in like two weeks, fuck.

Edit: Minimal load times, the ability to save anywhere in the world map, even mid-dungeon provided you're not in a boss battle, sexy.

I just randomly got a $5 credit from Amazon for browsing their magazine selection in the past (<3 Amazon), so I think I may order this game. Unfortunately, the estimated arrival is Friday, August 20th. Anyways, this will be my first Ys game; I hope I end up enjoying the series.

Top Bottom