• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mine is being prepared. Very pumped. :D

Grimmy

Banned
I never get games on Day 1 anymore. The last game I pre-ordered was Wizardry 8 in 2001. But with Ys 7, I went into EB Games and bought my copy in advance :) I hope it gets in tomorrow!

Edgeward

LE was shipped today!

rodgersftw.gif

Still preparing shipping, I are sad. Ever so sad.

I'll be prepping my PSP to play this, guess I'll need to get prometheus, whatever that is, internets don't fail me now.

Anyone know how big the PSN version is?
I'm passing on the LE so I might get the PSN version, but I only have ~850 MB free on my duo

Volcynika

_dementia said:
Anyone know how big the PSN version is?
I'm passing on the LE so I might get the PSN version, but I only have ~850 MB free on my duo

XSEED said 700-800 MB in a comment on PS blog I think.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The store probably won't update for another 8 or so hours.

My copy of the LE was just delivered!
I quickly popped in the UMD to test it, and the game loads on CFW 5.50 Gen-D3 (patched with Prometheus v4)!
Now the ISO is ripping. 745 MBs.

Rifling through the art book. Very nice stuff.
Loosely split into thirds, each dedicated to either Ys Seven, Oath, and I&II Chronicles!
I actually started from the back, so seeing the Ys I & II artwork actually made me a little emotional. While the games have only gotten better since then, I still hold that I & II had the best cast of characters and overall mythology. I can't believe we're getting these games here in the West!

Gameplay impressions/updates in a bit! Dragon Quest IX is now officially on the back-burner... and incomplete!

zurra

my LE shipped! probably won't get here until next week, but it's going on the backburner until i finish DQ9 anyway. :(

Enk

makes good threads.
Mejilan said:
I quickly popped in the UMD to test it, and the game loads on CFW 5.50 Gen-D3 (patched with Prometheus v4)!
Now the ISO is ripping. 745 MBs.

Great to hear! I managed to ugrade my PSP to Prometheus v4 last night without much hassle. Can't wait to finally get my hands on this today! :D

Mejilan

Blargh. Game's pretty ugly. I see fuzzy white squares everywhere. Dithering, is it?
Opening scene complete with kick ass music is done. Just got to the first town.
Still, a wall joke almost from the get-go. Can't complain about that.

Purists might be annoyed by some of the localization decisions.
Romn. Promalock...

Hoooo boy. I hope there's an option to tweak the speed of the text scroll. It's slow to a truly amazing extent.

Mejilan

"Europan" sword, yet Adol the Red hails from "Europe."
Yep, the fan boys will be seething! Hahahaha.

Pro-tip: Circle speeds up the text scroll speed. There's no setting for instant, alas.

SYNTAX182

Wait, can I play this on my PS3 via DL through PSN? Sounds jawesome. Just got PS3 so I'm kind of lost on how this PSN DLs work. If so, hells yeah!

SYNTAX182 said:
Wait, can I play this on my PS3 via DL through PSN? Sounds jawesome. Just got PS3 so I'm kind of lost on how this PSN DLs work. If so, hells yeah!
Uh, no. This is a PSP game, which means it's not playable on a PS3. Only PSOne Classics and minis are playable on both PS3 and PSP.

SYNTAX182

hosannainexcelsis said:
Uh, no. This is a PSP game, which means it's not playable on a PS3. Only PSOne Classics and minis are playable on both PS3 and PSP.

Oh man, that sucks. Was so excited, I love me some Ys. Sad face.

Trevelyan

Banned
SYNTAX182 said:

No, you can't. It's only for PSP.

Mejilan

Real adventurers don't walk, jog, sprint, or run.
They dash! They roll! They frolic!

Seriously. You know Falcom knows ARPGs when they make moving around even the towns fast and fun! :D
Well, I suppose that doesn't really have anything to do with ARPGs after all. But fun is fun!

Mejilan

I'm still stuck exploring the first town. It's HUUUUUGE.
Well, by Ys standards.
Technically I could exit and go around killing random shit in the fields for a bit, but I want to finish exploring everything and talking to everyone before I move on.

Unflagging 30 FPS already means that it's better than the PSP version of Ys VI was, though!

Mejilan

Oh my. I get the feeling that quite contrary to other Ys games, loot whores are going to LOOOOOOVE this one!

Aeana

Mejilan said:
Oh my. I get the feeling that quite contrary to other Ys games, loot whores are going to LOOOOOOVE this one!
There is a lot of loot to collect, which you can use to synthesize items and equipment.

Mejilan

Tailzo said:
^Plenty of loot everywhere I take it?

The first shops have a surprisingly robust lineup of goodies to purchase, across all categories. And the equipment is only tuned to Adol and Dogi, so I know that range will explode once other members join the party.

And yeah, the synthesis system.

And what seems like a FFIX-style skill learning system.

Tailzo

Mejilan said:
The first shops have a surprisingly robust lineup of goodies to purchase, across all categories. And the equipment is only tuned to Adol and Dogi, so I know that range will explode once other members join the party.

And yeah, the synthesis system.

And what seems like a FFIX-style skill learning system.
Sounds like tons of fun. Also, I loved the skill learning in FFIX. You're not making the wait easier for me :)

Mejilan

Tailzo said:
Sounds like tons of fun. Also, I loved the skill learning in FFIX. You're not making the wait easier for me :)

Well, skills are tied to weapons (but not any other equipment, it seems), and can level up.
I'm assuming that if you level them enough, you can keep them even if you swap your weapons out. I think I read about it some time ago. At least I hope that's how it works!

Aeana

Skill learning is sort of like FF9, but a bit different. You learn skills from weapons, but the skills have levels. Once a skill reaches level 1, it's learned permanently, but leveling it up beyond that makes it more powerful. It levels as you use it no matter what weapon is equipped, but if you keep the weapon that teaches that skill equipped, it earns twice as much experience. So there's an incentive to use older weapons for faster skill leveling.

Tailzo

Aeana said:
Skill learning is sort of like FF9, but a bit different. You learn skills from weapons, but the skills have levels. Once a skill reaches level 1, it's learned permanently, but leveling it up beyond that makes it more powerful. It levels as you use it no matter what weapon is equipped, but if you keep the weapon that teaches that skill equipped, it earns twice as much experience. So there's an incentive to use older weapons for faster skill leveling.
Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to explain all this :)

Mejilan

Ahhh, there's nothing quite like a new Ys game.
When you step out onto the field for the first time, hear whatever kick-ass new tunes they composed for exploring the outdoors, and just bashing baddies for that first half hour or so before you move on to the inevitable shrine, cave, or castle.

:D

Oh my. Something I never knew Ys combat needed.
Bashing the corpses of dead monsters for MORE loot!!
And limited grass cutting!
And party members that look for loot and harvest points for you!

Edit - And thanks for clearing that up Aeana. It's FFIX enough for me!

Top Bottom