• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK guys here's the deal. I just completed Ys Origin twice(Yunica and Hugo). Now I just started Ys I Chronicles. Am I a bad person for wanting to skip this already and move onto Ys OiF? I mean, I'm really really really R-E-A-L-L-Y turned off by this Bump Combat system. It is incredibly uncomfortable and annoying, especially after coming off Origin. Should I feel bad for wanting to skip these two ancient games and moving on to Felghana? Becuase this Bump Combat style is driving me bananas and I simply don't like it, like.....at ALL.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
OK guys here's the deal. I just completed Ys Origin twice(Yunica and Hugo). Now I just started Ys I Chronicles. Am I a bad person for wanting to skip this already and move onto Ys OiF? I mean, I'm really really really R-E-A-L-L-Y turned off by this Bump Combat system. It is incredibly uncomfortable and annoying, especially after coming off Origin. Should I feel bad for wanting to skip these two ancient games and moving on to Felghana? Becuase this Bump Combat style is driving me bananas and I simply don't like it, like.....at ALL.
Nah, you aren't wrong, it's... weird and off-putting. FWIW, I would suggest you skip I if you don't like it and go to Ys II instead. It still uses the bump combat but it's much, much improved. You might even enjoy it. Not to mention it's just a better game overall with much better bosses too. And if you still don't, well, no biggie, just move on to Ys VI and/or Oath (the best one, which I'd save for last :D).

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
K well I just went into the in-game options and changed the "movement" from 360 to 8-way. I'm using a DS4 controller and with this option it seems to work a bit better. I can actually move in a proper diagonal direction now with the analog stick. So...a little better now, but I dunno we'll see.
A few questions:

1)The silver lining in all this is that I hear Ys I is extremely short, so it shouldn't be long before I get to II, right?

2)I'm playing on normal. Should I be worried about any threatening bosses coming up that makes the bump system more frustrating than it already is?

3)Adol seems to heal himself when not moving, which is nice. Will this always be the case, or will there be times when health regen simply won't work?

jb1234

1)The silver lining in all this is that I hear Ys I is extremely short, so it shouldn't be long before I get to II, right?

2)I'm playing on normal. Should I be worried about any threatening bosses coming up that makes the bump system more frustrating than it already is?

3)Adol seems to heal himself when not moving, which is nice. Will this always be the case, or will there be times when health regen simply won't work?

1: 4-5 hours
2: The final boss will make you pull your hair out. Even on Normal, I thought he was an asshole.

Psxphile

You can't regen when you're indoors, only when outside. Even so, there are a few places even in dungeons/caves in this game where you can regen. It's pretty obvious where when you come across them.

The health regen mechanics carries over into much of the earlier Ys games until it's replaced by rest points that insta-heal and the key item "Spirit Cape" which does the same thing but works anywhere. I know Ys Origins still had it in place, but you could only do it when you were in the outer parts of the tower.

isamu

2: The final boss will make you pull your hair out. Even on Normal, I thought he was an asshole.

Yup that's what I read. Is the final boss in II just as bad? Hell, I was already annoyed/frustrated by Dalles in Origin.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yup that's what I read. Is the final boss in II just as bad? Hell, I was already annoyed/frustrated by Dalles in Origin.

No. Ys II is a better game in every regard, including the final boss (and every other boss for that matter, Ys I bosses are not good as a whole).

But of course I'd say that, Ys II is my favorite game in the series following Felghana and Origin.

Stalk

I really enjoy Ys 1&2 but I can agree with the point of view of it being hard to enjoy if you've played later installments. If you can push past the initial feeling with the bump combat I think it's a pretty solid game and Ys 2 is definitely the better of the two.

Plus the rearranged PSP soundtrack is awesome.

isamu

Holy smokes....that Bat/Dracula boss in the Mines was a PITA!

jb1234

I honestly don't remember the final boss in II, for good or bad. So that has to mean that he wasn't as rage inducing.

(But the final dungeon in II is basically a maze and frustrating as hell so maybe that makes up for it...)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't remember the final boss in II, for good or bad. So that has to mean that he wasn't as rage inducing.

(But the final dungeon in II is basically a maze and frustrating as hell so maybe that makes up for it...)

Don't listen to this man, the final dungeon in Ys II is glorious. I love Solomon Shrine.

As a refresher about the boss,
it's Darm. He starts off as a demon-form with a cloak and black wings with on top of the black pearl. Then at half health or so he turns into the black pearl alone with huge white wings. Both forms basically just move around and shoot a ton of stuff at you, and the arena is a circle with a gap in the middle where Darm can go to "reset."

It's not a particularly interesting boss. Not like Dark Fact or something, hard to forget a boss like him.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana will have two protagonists, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

Joining Adol as a protagonist is the mysterious blue-haired girl we’ve previously seen in the game’s key visual, whose name is now revealed as Dana. She appears in Adol’s dreams, and through those dreams, you’ll be able to experience Dana’s way of life. Her power and speed exceeds even that of the veteran hero Adol.

Dana’s story, which Adol will see in his dreams, will affect his very adventure itself. Also, Dana seems to recognize Adol, and Adol’s actions will considerably affect Dana’s story.
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ys-viii-has-dual-protagonists

Psxphile

Ys8_Jan282016_04.jpg

So I was looking at this screenshot and I was wondering, "what does this remind me of?". After racking my brain for a bit I realized what this scene was missing was a little mutant Pikkard hanging off Adol's shoulder.

A Pikkard-chu, if you will.

isamu

FINALLY beat Dark Fact on Normal! Only took me like a zillion tries. Good little game I enjoyed it. Playing Ys II now.

Questions:

1)About Dark Fact....what is his relationship to Hugo and Toal? I'm assuming they're at least distantly related?

2)How much longer is Ys II over Ys I? Or are they pretty much the same length?

3)Which one has the harder bosses?

4)I'm playing the steam version of I&II, and in some screenshots I see on the Steam store page, it shows the game being played without the beige border frame with the two goddesses around the screen. It's basically just the action screen taking up the entire screen. How do I enable this view? I'm playing Ys II now.

1)About Dark Fact....what is his relationship to Hugo and Toal? I'm assuming they're at least distantly related?

Dark's the son of Hugo's descendants who harbored the responsibility of keeping all Cleria on Esteria sealed away. Chronicles's manual specifies exactly why he went demonic: Dark's parents were killed in the line of duty by disgruntled miners from Minea who access to Zepik Mines' Cleria veins, so of course he has an emotional breakdown letting out the essence inside all Fact descendants
The implied difference between Fact lines on Esteria on Ys is that, on the island, Toal's progeny can turn demon without losing their sense of good and fealty to the old kingdom, much like how he was able to redeem himself as a demon (unlike Hugo).

II's longer because of the last two dungeons, but not hugely so.

Ys I just because Vagullion and Dark Fact are tough to figure out either on your first run or in successive difficulties.

4)I'm playing the steam version of I&II, and in some screenshots I see on the Steam store page, it shows the game being played without the beige border frame with the two goddesses around the screen. It's basically just the action screen taking up the entire screen. How do I enable this view? I'm playing Ys II now.
You need to chose the Complete option in the config, not Chronicles, to enable that fram.e

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Unless something changed in an update, Complete (with the border) actually has a larger FOV than Chronicles (no border). This was due to Chronicles mode showing the same FOV as the PSP version.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
According to my Steam stats, Ys I took me 9 hours and Ys II took me 11 hours.

That said I believe I am much slower than the average player.

I struggled more in Ys I simply because of motherfucking Dark Fact (retried Vagullion repeatedly too). I played on Normal in both games though, maybe one is harder than the other on Nightmare or something.

isamu

Thanks for the replies guys. Quick question....

Where does the game store its save files(Steam version)? Would like to make back ups of my local save files but can't find them. Tried looking in My Documents folder but nothing.

jb1234

Thanks for the replies guys. Quick question....

Where does the game store its save files(Steam version)? Would like to make back ups of my local save files but can't find them. Tried looking in My Documents folder but nothing.

C:\users\username\Saved Games\FALCOM\YS12C\YS1 and YS2 respectively.

isamu

C:\users\username\Saved Games\FALCOM\YS12C\YS1 and YS2 respectively.

interesting, because I looked in those exact same folders and they are empty! Do you have files in those folders? Weird.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
interesting, because I looked in those exact same folders and they are empty! Do you have files in those folders? Weird.

That's where offline save files go. If you have Steam Cloud enabled they are in the Steam folder. For some reason mine appear to be gone (thanks, Steam).

Should be Steam\userdata\[numbers]\223810\

Ys II's ID is 223870, so you may have both. Don't know what the folder structure from there is since my saves are gone.

isamu

That's where offline save files go. If you have Steam Cloud enabled they are in the Steam folder. For some reason mine appear to be gone (thanks, Steam).

Should be Steam\userdata\[numbers]\223810\

Ys II's ID is 223870, so you may have both. Don't know what the folder structure from there is since my saves are gone.

Thank you good and kind sir!

Psxphile

Ys VIII Dual protagonist thread was updated w/ more info, art and screenshots from Gematsu, in case you all missed it yesterday. This time the focus is on "La Llorona" herself, Dana.

Dana (age unknown)
Weapon: Half-Moon Swords | Attack Attribute: Slash
“Fiery red hair…. Who was that person, I wonder?”

A mysterious, blue-haired girl who appears in Adol’s dreams. Contrary to her lovely appearance, her actions are often bold and imaginative, and can even surprise those around her.

She has never seen the Eresia continent, and seems to live in an area that possesses a very advanced civilization. Players will experience the life of this girl through Adol’s dreams, but…

Dana uses two, highly curved, crescent moon swords, and twists her body while quickly slashing and delivering one attack after the next. With her agile speed, the slashes brought forth by her rotational power exceeds even the offensive ability of Adol.

Damn. Can't say she's actually a baddie after looking into those baby blues. Not by choice, anyway.

Seda

I don't love the design but I don't hate it. More curious what they do with her, both in narrative and game structure.

Let's see if she's written better than her design (which isn't bad but suffers when taken out of the promo illustrator's hands). The implication's that, if you use her sword and Flash techniques well enough, no one could event touch her exposed skin while she's in spinning-top mode. I definitely agree that Falcom's character design, for a long time, has played to sexualized gender imbalance, starting with Drasle Family—and it'll take a Herculean effort to convince both its developers and their home fanbase (even the old fans!) to embrace a subversion of the norm.

I think Laxia's attire is weirder. Maybe she's just wearing casual summer wear on the day of the shipwreck.

Clive

Can't have a Japanese console game in 2016 without a waifu focus. Hasn't the Ys series had poor sales compared to other recent Falcom games such as Trails of Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu? Can't blame Falcom for trying.

As long as that good ol' Ys combat, boss fighting and music is there, so will I. Not a big fan of the character design personally either though but we'll see how it feels when I actually play it.

I really get frustrated when folks assume, just because Kiseki is king and Tokyo Xanadu's performed 3x as well as expected, that Ys surely must be selling awful or under par according to Falcom. Celceta's done better in Japan than in Western territories, and definitely has sold more than Ys Origin before it reached Steam/GOG. They stuck with Seven's design for the Ys IV remake half because of sales rebound vs. the PC games from before, half because Falcom isn't as likely to jump around making different types of games too hastily. The company's busier than ever but only ~50 employees like usual, and their coffers must be up to bursting with Kiseki money at this point. This leads me to believe they're not putting Dana expressly for waifu purposes, though cuteness is a pre-req for all Falcom heroines (and Adol).

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana will launch for PS Vita on July 21 in Japan, and for PlayStation 4 in 2017, the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation reveals. Both versions were previously given a “summer 2016” release window.

According to Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo, while the PS Vita version is being released first, development on the PlayStation 4 version is progressing side by side with the PS Vita version.

The magazine also reveals two new characters: a 12 year-old girl named Ricotta (voiced by Nozomi Yamamoto) who uses a whip-mace, and a 24 year-old man named Hummel (voiced by KENN) who uses a bayonet.
Ricotta is a girl who lived on The Isle of Seiren before Adol was shipwrecked and washed ashore, and knows the traits of the Ancients very well. She is waiting for the return of her father, who went out to explore the island, but… According to Toshihiro Kondo, she knows the island in detail and is the bright mood maker of the group. She joins the party to find her father.

Hummel is a holed up courier on The Isle of Seire who has pride in his work, but still kept the requested goods adrift. He possess the latest weapon, known as a gun. According to Toshihiro Kondo, although those at the underside of society shouldn’t interact with the general public, he joins Adol for a certain purpose. Guns are rare in this world, and up until now, it appears Adol hasn’t seen one.
Additionally, voice actors for previously announced characters are also revealed:

Adol (voiced by Yuki Kaji)
Laxia (voiced by Natsumi Takamori)
Sahad (voiced by Hidenobu Kiuchi)
Dana (voiced by Saori Onishi)
http://gematsu.com/2016/03/ys-viii-...-japan-playstation-4-2017#FUHYusMGXDsPSAUc.99

Guns in Ys!!! :eek:

Hummels is obviously the second Pierce type character for the game too.

More importantly, PS4 delayed to 2017 and Vita releases this year -- 21st July 2016

Psxphile

Shame about that delay. Just goes to show how much of a priority the VITA is for Falcom in Japan. Hopefully when it comes stateside both versions will be available from the get-go.

Psxphile

Random rant time: Does it bug anyone else that Ark of Napishtim introduces us to Ladoc and his pirate gang midway through the game only for the game to ignore everyone but Ladoc and Terra?

Besides One-Eyed Ladoc and his daughter Terra, there was also these scurvy sea-dogs who, for reasons of their own, joined up with the old man and now follow Ladoc for good or ill:

Y0zKlWd.jpg
Bj2yXsQ.jpg
wMagHWp.jpg
JAl057R.jpg
e9nALsO.jpg

MwUqhMC.jpg
UksNXbI.jpg
eaIld6V.jpg
RVZEO6i.jpg
nXujzjb.jpg
ct5kbzP.jpg

(from left to right: Camara, Guen, Jedo, Mikhail, Nies and Nero)

I thought the crew of the Tres Mares were way more interesting than what was happening on Canaan, and I really hope we get to see them again somewhere down the road. Or perhaps, if VI is ever remade, they could expand their roles so that they aren't just introduced only to be forgotten later.

There's a lot of potential for Ladoc's crew to have more of a say in the VI remake, but it's not like they were originally more interesting than investigating Eldeen ruins in the first place. Falcom's been placing undue import on playing a party of lead characters rather than returning to VI/Felghana's unique NPC areas, though, so I'm absolutely in favor of this and taking a break from party-system Ys.

And they also need to bring that artist back for something, though he/she can't do more than one expression for most characters. That seems a recurring problem for anyone working on Falcom games not called Enami, or whoever did the portraits for Sora no Kiseki.

Alright, so after playing I & II Chronicles last year I finally tracked down a copy of Oath so now have the entire modern set of games (other than Origin because of a lack of PC).

I assume it's recommended to play release order:

I & II Chronicles
Ark of Napishtim
Oath in Felghana
Seven
Memories of Celceta

over numerical order:

I & II Chronicles
Oath in Felghana (3)
Memories of Celceta (4)
Ark of Napishtim (6)
Seven

?

Also I hope Ys 5 gets a remake after 8 comes out.

isamu

FINALLY completed the second game! I want to thank all of you for your encouragement to stick with this game. They were actually pretty darn good and I have no regrets playing both of them. And you're right...Ys II is indeed the better game(dat Solomon Shrine doe).

Anyway I'm really excited to start the next game in the series. I've read that Ark of Nepatism is typically considered the next game in line if I'm going from worse to best. Is this true? Should I play Ark or OiF next? I've already made the mistake of playing Origins first and man did that ever spoil me lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
FINALLY completed the second game! I want to thank all of you for your encouragement to stick with this game. They were actually pretty darn good and I have no regrets playing both of them. And you're right...Ys II is indeed the better game(dat Solomon Shrine doe).

Anyway I'm really excited to start the next game in the series. I've read that Ark of Nepatism is typically considered the next game in line if I'm going from worse to best. Is this true? Should I play Ark or OiF next? I've already made the mistake of playing Origins first and man did that ever spoil me lol.

Ark. Ark isn't a bad game, but you can definitely feel the jump in refinement when you go to Oath, even if you've already finished Origins. And make sure to choose Catastrophe mode or whatever it's called so the game isn't too easy.

isamu

Ark. Ark isn't a bad game, but you can definitely feel the jump in refinement when you go to Oath, even if you've already finished Origins. And make sure to choose Catastrophe mode or whatever it's called so the game isn't too easy.

OK thanks. I typically suck at ARPGs though so I think I'll go with whatever they call normal mode lol. If it's *TOO* easy then I'll try Catastrophe or whatever.

Rhapsody

Banned
I hate ark so much xD Almost all the bosses suck
So disappointing that there was like... 1 3D fight lol

And yeah, so many of them were easy and uninteresting
OK thanks. I typically suck at ARPGs though so I think I'll go with whatever they call normal mode lol. If it's *TOO* easy then I'll try Catastrophe or whatever.

Catasrophe is the new added mode on the Steam version. Basically you choose your difficulty like any usual Ys, and then you get to choose if you want Catastrophe or not. It basically makes it so items that heal you on the field after beating monsters get used right away instead of being sent to your inventory iirc. So you can choose normal mode Catastrophe.

But then again, even if you don't choose Catastophe, you can choose to just not use the healing item anyways.

Top Bottom