• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

CenZLoAWEAAkGMd.jpg

Could be a certain wall-crusher or it could be someone else!

Who goes adventuring wearing a bloody tie thing like that?
Not Adol. He's wearing a collared shirt underneath his vest, which (along with a necklace) gives the impression of sporting a cravat because the lower shirt's ruffled. Obviously he should have known better than to dress this spiffy and set off on a ship, which perhaps explains why he's used armor ever since the events of Ys VIII (please Falcom, this makes too much sense).

Also, there's a commenter on Gematsu seriously confused and disappointed at how much more story there is to experience in this game. It'd be one thing if Falcom could learn how to integrate Kiseki-like story elements with Ys game design better (ideally by not forcing you into railroaded parts of the story too often, and by focusing on NPCs/remote character support events (a la Trails 3rd) to flesh out the world). But it's another to assume that surely anyone and everyone at Falcom is capable of games development and that they all need to focus on combat, which the writers didn't sign up for. They can write a bunch of stuff for Ys if the company wants to and if they've found time and budget for that, it hardly affects the workload for the design team working on combat.

omgfloofy

Banned
Also, there's a commenter on Gematsu seriously confused and disappointed at how much more story there is to experience in this game.

I find this hilarious, regarding the commenter, because the serious actually has a pretty deep level of lore- just most of it is built on stuff that's in the background or between games, or published outside of the games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You mean Burning Gravity's comment? That's pretty reasonable and I entirely agree, more story in Ys just means more time between the fun parts. It's disappointing to see them continue to increase emphasis on the story, especially after Seven and Celceta's were so lackluster.

You mean Burning Gravity's comment? That's pretty reasonable and I entirely agree, more story in Ys just means more time between the fun parts. It's disappointing to see them continue to increase emphasis on the story, especially after Seven and Celceta's were so lackluster.

Didn't those games sell better and have more merch sold? Thats probably why :/

They sold better than Origin in Japan, which disappointed sales-wise until Steam/GOG users bought the heck out of it years later to Falcom's surprise. Seven was a new start, fitting since it marked a transition to full console development.

Falcom's gotten themselves into a rock and a hard place because there's a Gagharv-sized chasm separating the party-system and solo-Adol Ys styles. At this point the writing team's entrenched, too busy to learn new skills and retool so the games can replace all this story with an equivalent level of action. Employees help each other around the company, going by past interview comments implying Falcom's more liquid than usual, but I can't imagine every member of every department's able to switch roles/development priority on a whim.

Under their current one-game-every(-two)-year(s) production model, the company's best solution is to compromise at high enough a level of quality and content that proponents of either style can play how they wish and feel they've gotten a full game. Ultimately you run into the problem of completionists then having to master and like both Ys styles. So my favorite solution would be for Falcom to make a larger number of smaller games that let them practice diversity in style and genre, like in the PC-98 days if you think about it. After conducting a fan survey around 2006/2007 they quickly developed remakes of Brandish and Vantage Master, ported Zwei!! to PSP, then did Zwei!! II and got Kure Software Koubou to port the Trails in the Sky games to PSP. I'm confident they can get work done quick when they're not running into development pains like they've had with Ys VIII.

So was the newest one coming out this summer in Japan, cancelled on PS4?

When I search for it on amazon its just Vita. Was thinking about grabbing a vita for this game and others but just curious.

Recently I finished work on a big collection of Falcom-related Sound Canvas MIDI recordings you all should enjoy. I'm distributing these under Falcom's music sharing policy, as none of these arrangements were previously released in a doujin album (I had to scavenge them off the Internet Archive!).

2A8QOrY.jpg

Falcom Music Room Sound Canvas MIDI Collection folder link (MP3/MIDI, FLAC/MIDI, APE/MIDI, or MIDI files only).

You can find plenty of Ys arrangements from this collection on Falcom Music Channel, too, if you want to sample before downloading one of the packs. My picks:

Ice Ridge of Noltia, Solomon Shrine from Ys II
A Searing Struggle from Ys III
Lava Zone, Valley of Quicksand, Bronze District from Ys IV
Windslash Steps, Mountain Zone from Ys VI
Genesis Beyond the Beginning, Tower of the Shadow of Death, Silent Desert, Prelude to the Omen from Ys Origin
Innocent Primeval Breaker, Mother Earth Altago from Ys Seven

Please check the readme for more info, backstory, and tips on best MIDI playback.

Honestly I'd say you've screwed yourself out of playing Ys VI w/o some potential disappointment coming off of Felghana and Origin. I say follow the above recommendations, take a year off, and then try Napishtim using Catastrophe Mode.

Young Magus

Do II and Origin next.

This, do I & II + Origin

Honestly I'd say you've screwed yourself out of playing Ys VI w/o some potential disappointment coming off of Felghana and Origin. I say follow the above recommendations, take a year off, and then try Napishtim using Catastrophe Mode.

Thanks for the responses,

9 hours later and Ys II is in the books ;D will move on to Origin this week.

And I messed up when I said that I beat I on PC, I meant to say on PSP.....5 years ago

Psxphile

Yunica plays pretty much the same as Felghana/Napishtim version of Adol.
Hugo is more like a good game of SMASH T.V. except you can only shoot projectiles in the direction you're moving. I suppose it's more like Ys II Adol if the only way he could fight was to spam fireballs. A lot of fireballs.

The familiar, or the outlier? For the record, I went Yunica -> Hugo -> ?. It's all good, whatever you pick.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yunica plays like Adol in Napishtim and Felghana. Hugo is entirely different. I'd always recommend Yunica, with the possible exception of someone who has been on an Ys kick and just played Napishtim and Felghana. Since Hugo would provide a nice change of pace.

Whatever happens, do Yunica and Hugo before The Claw if you're aiming to complete the whole story. I'll recommend you play her first just to experience and decimate everything with her awesome fireball skill. Hugo's story is much superior even if he's not as likable a character—you can tell his mode of play wasn't as refined/deliberately built vs. Yunica's and Claw's (which are variations on Felghana anyway). Doing Hugo on higher difficulties vs. the other characters keeps the difficulty curve interesting between stories (and in my case means one less playthrough where I have to mash attack).

I really liked Hugo's story...that twist!!!
;_;
Indeed. He and Epona had a difficult heart-to-heart moment (spoilers of course).

Meanwhile, Yotaka at Marvelous Forums looked at recent Ys VIII scans:

Actually, the Japanese used in discussing the recent scans is more like 'Dana's world is a different civilization from that of the Winged Ones' and the scans themselves say 'Dana's civilization is one not seen before in the series'.

Others were jumping to conclusions about the Siren Island civilization being Eldeen just because they're winged, forgetting that Falcom's been pulling big twists in the games lately. I think a non-Eldeen winged-human society would be different and fits with how Altago's ancients were different too.

Indeed. He and Epona had a difficult heart-to-heart moment (spoilers of course).

Meanwhile, Yotaka at Marvelous Forums looked at recent Ys VIII scans:

Others were jumping to conclusions about the Siren Island civilization being Eldeen just because they're winged, forgetting that Falcom's been pulling big twists in the games lately. I think a non-Eldeen winged-human society would be different and fits with how Altago's ancients were different too.

Well, well. That's certainly quite interesting.

New Ys VIII NPCs revealed + details in Counter-Attack Battles and the elusive Master Kong!

Of major interest to me:

As you advance the story, the Drifting Village will be attacked by the island’s beasts. While Adol can participate in these Counter-Attack Battles, it’s also possible to leave them in the hands of the villagers. During these fights, players must protect the village walls from being torn down. Outside of Adol, the beasts also must deal with a group led by Dogi that fights in special cases.
This implies you can invest some resources into simply fortifying the walls and buffing Dogi's group so you don't have to defend the village at all if you'd rather get to the dungeon/island areas instead. Overall I think Falcom's implemented this system correctly as a sideshow rather than something every player has to worry about whether they'd like that or not.

Master Kong, meanwhile, is this game's equivalent to the superhero from Zwei!! II from whom you can learn top-tier skills. Finding and challenging him isn't cut-and-dry either, giving an incentive to check out landmarks on Siren Island. I fully expect Falcom to do a Donkey Kong crossover someday using this character.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I finally started Ys Origin (I know, I know, what was I waiting for? Well I'm playing it now!).

What in the hell is with that horrid, horrid "French" voice-over in the intro? Why? Why would they not only have a voice-over in French (which is just a rough, mediocre translation of the English text being shown), but spoken by someone who very obviously does not speak French at all?

o_O

Young Magus

Beat Origin few weeks back.

Now all thats left is VI, IV (Vita......tho I could pick up the PCE version) and VII.

........Which one next?

Psxphile

VI is fairly short so you could knock that one out quick.
Seven should follow since it's the first Ys title to give you a party and introduces other things to the formula like loot and craft systems. Conclude with Celceta.

Feel free to insert a PCE IV playthrough at any point before taking on Celceta, especially if you liked the gameplay in Ys I & II.

Top Bottom