• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Trash is a bit much, but I'd definitely recommend the (English) PC version for warping and catastrophe mode. Warping helps a lot with the irritating backtracking - and I'm saying that as someone who doesn't mind good backtracking implementations like Metroid. Without warping probably a good third of your playtime is "wasted" on tedious and uninteresting backtracking.

The other "charms" of the game remain intact though, like dash jumping and bosses with wonky hit/hurtboxes. Definitely unrefined compared to Oath and Origin.

Psxphile

Napishtim has references and connections to past and future Ys titles so I feel it's kinda necessary to play through it at least once.

VI is trash after playing oath/origin

Obviously it's too unrefined, but I still enjoyed my time with it. The characteristic and differences of each sword was still refreshing enough for me + lore/references were too good.

I played it after OiF/Origin and I wouldn't call it trash. Far from it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Obviously it's too unrefined, but I still enjoyed my time with it. The characteristic and differences of each sword was still refreshing enough for me + lore/references were too good.

I played it after OiF/Origin and I wouldn't call it trash. Far from it.

Yup, quite the exaggeration. It's still a good game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yup, quite the exaggeration. It's still a good game.
Played the original, can't agree.

Shitty bosses, bad hit boxes which made nightmare not fun, horrible back tracking, worst last boss

I played the whole "current" series in order over a month *so no 5 snes 3/4*

I came out of that game wanting my 2 days I wasted playing it back

Young Magus

Finished VI the other day:

Not a bad game by any means but shows its age/flaws HARD thanks to it being the first ys game in this style. Still had fun and the OST was good in some areas. Also thankful for the attention to the continuity nods/references

Fuck dash jumping tho, srsly.

Gonna boot up my years old ys 7 save soonish

p.s: Why the OST cd gotta be out of print ;-;

GOG has an Ys bundle on their summer sale right now, Ys I and II, OiF, Origin, and AoN for $20.96, great deal if you don't have 'em yet.

What's the best place in Ark of Napishtim to farm Emels? I suppose the last zone, but the enemies are pretty far away from each other imo

edit: doesn't matter now I farmed it already it.

Psxphile

Just wanted to make a quick note here that apparently a fan translation of the Memories of Celceta chinese PC port was being worked on since December of last year, which I only recently discovered thanks to the Steam Ys thread in Gaming. Details here. A beta patch was released in March but the game is loaded with a lot of bugs (including game-breaking ones) that need to be smoothed out before you can say it's fully-playable. It also unlocks the framerate from 30 to 60fps so there's that. The patch creators appear to still be working on it but for now seem to be running in silent mode.

On the off-chance anyone has a copy of the PC version and wants to try the english patch and 60fps gameplay for themselves, you can get it from [REDACTED].

Cqef

But it's not a fan translation, right? Isn't it just XSeed's script extracted from the Vita version that is implemented in the Chinese PC version?

Psxphile

But it's not a fan translation, right? Isn't it just XSeed's script extracted from the Vita version that is implemented in the Chinese PC version?

Shit, is it? That's not good. Scrubbing download link for now until I can confirm.

EDIT: should have read this closer

The patch is still a beta - although everything has been translated besides the voice files which are some new VAG format.

The last known bug was that Frida's "Destruction Dance" skill title doesn't show up in skills... no idea why - probably something in the exe.

It wasn't a direct dump of XSEED dialogue, some stuff had to be changed due to the PC version not processing some files the same way and XSEED using textures with a bunch of black alignment placeholders in them that don't render the same on the PC version.

There are a few methods of getting 60fps working, this is the first one we did. There was a second, but it hasn't been tested from beginning to end so it wasn't used.

Any questions, comments, bug reports are welcome. Remember that it's a beta, some fonts won't look perfect, joyoland stripped a ton of the shader stuff out, they introduced a number of bugs that had to be fixed (they never tested the game past the halfway point it seems), and I'm sure there will be a ton of people that will start complaining about specifics, haha. Whatever, it was a fun little project - Cheers!

Not a direct copy, but it seems like they altered the existing translation to fit and used translated graphics from the VITA version. Pretty sure that's grounds for copyright infringement, though I'm actually unsure how this works. :\

Cqef

Ok, so it's XSeed's script adapted so that it can actually work, which it wouldn't if left as-is. Thanks!

Not sure if copyright infringement is really something to worry about though, even if it were the case. I really don't think XSeed will go out of their way to send a C&D to the guy in charge of the fanpatch, since the PC version is pretty much out of their reach as far as we know (because redtape due to multiple parties and multiple languages involved), so it's not like it hurts their Celceta Vita sales that much. Now, on Joyoland's side? Bleh. Do they really even remotely care about it when this PC port is a plain, simple port made just so the game is playable but nothing more, just like all their other ports from Falcom games? I really doubt it.

Psxphile

Noted. Looks like I let the excitement go to my head, guess I didn't realize at the time how an unauthorized and unlicensed english PC patch could hurt Xseed, especially seeing now how it uses most of their own work without any compensation.

I guess it'd be different if they only provided the tools to rip the necessary files from your own VITA copy and insert them... but that wasn't the case.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm in the minority but I never cared much for Mighty Obstacle. The song just comes across as "sloppy" to me, on top of not liking the samples used for the soundtrack.

Big Nikus

Noted. Looks like I let the excitement go to my head, guess I didn't realize at the time how an unauthorized and unlicensed english PC patch could hurt Xseed, especially seeing now how it uses most of their own work without any compensation.

I guess it'd be different if they only provided the tools to rip the necessary files from your own VITA copy and insert them... but that wasn't the case.

Yeah sorry, it was me who talked about this patch in the other thread, I didn't do much research, I just found out it existed.

Well, I'm a few hours in Ys II and I'm having a blast. I was considering making a LTTP about the series but I don't know, there must have been a lot of those. The thing is, I fell so much in love with Ys I & II this past week that I'm sure about the order I'm gonna play the series now. I've bought Felghana and Origin but nope, I'm saving these for last.
So I'm gonna play the original Ys III afterwards, I just don't know which version yet.
About that, thanks Tizoc and wyrdwad for the infos in this thread about the best versions. After Ys III I'll play both the older versions of Ys IV because why the hell not. I'm not in a rush. Then Ys V, Ys VI, maybe VII because I miss playing on my good old PSP, and finally Oath in Felgana and Origin. I don't know how I'll play Memories of Celceta if the PC patch is shady/shitty, but I'd like to get a Vita one day so I'll be patient.

If I didn't have to work I'd probably binge through all this in a few weeks, but it'll take longer than that XD

A-RPG is one of my favorite genres so I feel like a moron, I should have played all of this a long time ago. It's like being a fan of stylish action games and missing out on Devil May Cry, duh. Well, in this case the Steam versions of Ys I&II really helped.

I feel like I'm going down the Falcom rabbit hole, because I've also purchased Trails in the Sky to play something slower between two Ys sessions lol.

Psxphile

So I'm gonna play the original Ys III afterwards, I just don't know which version yet.
Genesis/Mega Drive version for the smoothest gameplay.
TG-CD/PC-Engine CD if you like cinematics, voice acting and redbook audio.
SNES for never.

I feel like I'm going down the Falcom rabbit hole, because I've also purchased Trails in the Sky to play something slower between two Ys sessions lol.

I remember tripping into that hole years ago, don't regret it in the slightest.

I know I'm in the minority but I never cared much for Mighty Obstacle. The song just comes across as "sloppy" to me, on top of not liking the samples used for the soundtrack.
More likely VSTs than samples since the song was sequenced. It's a very bright theme compared to what Felghana and Origin use, same going for Depth Napishtim.

Big Nikus

I've beat Ys II, I survived the Shrine of Solomon.
It was easier than Ys I, but that's not a bad thing. The finale was great, rushing to the top of the campanile as the bell rings was awesome.

Now, for Ys III:
Genesis/Mega Drive version for the smoothest gameplay.
TG-CD/PC-Engine CD if you like cinematics, voice acting and redbook audio.
SNES for never.

I've tested the three versions, but I've got controller issues with the TG-CD version. And err... I think I'm gonna go with the SNES. The translation in the Genesis version seems terrible, it's painful to read. Don't hurt me.
The PS2 version looks cool (thought the art style is meh), but yeah japanese only :(

Psxphile

I've tested the three versions, but I've got controller issues with the TG-CD version. And err... I think I'm gonna go with the SNES. The translation in the Genesis version seems terrible, it's painful to read. Don't hurt me.
The PS2 version looks cool (thought the art style is meh), but yeah japanese only :(

SNES is hard mode and not in a good way but okay.

Eila

I've beat Ys II, I survived the Shrine of Solomon.
It was easier than Ys I, but that's not a bad thing. The finale was great, rushing to the top of the campanile as the bell rings was awesome.

Now, for Ys III:

Have you played the Oath in Felghana? The story is pretty similar so you can get through even with the terrible Genesis translation. TG-16 is rough because it runs 15 fps but the audio and better translation makes up for it.
Personally I did all three 16-bit versions. The game is fairly short.

Psxphile

Have you played the Oath in Felghana? The story is pretty similar so you can get through even with the terrible Genesis translation. TG-16 is rough because it runs 15 fps but the audio and better translation makes up for it.

He wants to experience the old version of Ys III before playing the remake, so essentially going in blind.

Big Nikus

SNES is hard mode and not in a good way but okay.

Alright, I got my ass kicked in the very first mines in both versions, so I'm gonna go with the easier one lol. Lesson learned. Genesis it is.

Play them all imo

Become a Priest of Ys

I might just do that lol.
The music sounds so good in the TG-CD version... I've got to figure out how to fix my controller issues. It just goes berserk for no reason and it doesn't respond. No issues with Ys IV so that's weird (at least I know I'll be able to play Ys IV right after beating III).

I grabbed Oath in Felghana during the Steam sale, and initially I intended to start the series with it. But if it's as good as people say, I thought I would spoil myself the enjoyment of the older ones, and since I don't like to miss entries in a series, I thought "fuck it I'll play the 36 previous ones".

edit: okay, 2 level up later and one Power Ring equipped, I'm an invincible walking buzzsaw.

Tizoc

OK I got a new laptop (long story) and I ran the Ys games Setup and apparently they're not recognizing my NVidia Graphics card. The only adapter they show is Intel HD Graphics.
Is this normal? It doesn't let me choose NVidia for the graphics adapter too.

Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? Should I re-install the game?

EDIT: Ys Origin recognizes my NVidia graphics card but not Ys 1 2 and Oath @_@

Levyne

Banned
OK I got a new laptop (long story) and I ran the Ys games Setup and apparently they're not recognizing my NVidia Graphics card. The only adapter they show is Intel HD Graphics.
Is this normal? It doesn't let me choose NVidia for the graphics adapter too.

Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? Should I re-install the game?

EDIT: Ys Origin recognizes my NVidia graphics card but not Ys 1 2 and Oath @_@

Sounds like that optimus bull that plagued my laptop in the late 2000s.

Try going to Nvidia control panel, finding the ys .exe and forcing the nvidia card as the gpu you want to use. However, I know for some games this still didn't work, and you had to go into .ini edits and such (Sonic Generations)

Though I feel like intel HD would be plenty for most of these games, no?

Tizoc

This worries me because i've copied the contents of my old HDD that had Ys 1 and 2 installed in them and merely pasted them into my new D drive on the new laptop.
I did verify integrity but it still shows Intel HD graphics. I can't remember if this were the case with my old laptop. Granted yes the game runs fine but I am worried this'll affect other games >_>;;;

Oh and for anyone who is using software like Input Mapper or DS4Windows, is anyone getting this bizarre thing where even when you're NOT touching or using the controller, the character would move or the cursor would scroll uncontrollably on the menus?

Tizoc

Well looks like I fixed my controller issues :p

Back to finishing up Ys 1.
I know it isn't needed but a map would still be handy. Ys 1 is all about memorization what with dungeons being smallish, but even then having a map to consult with would make things easier.

Still not feeling the modern influences in the art direction. It's pretty, but it's not Ys to me.

Adol launches giant wind tornado and he looks absolutely bored. He looks bored in all the concept art lol

and now Dogi is a pretty boy too...

At least Dana and the other party members are pretty expressive. Watching this opening is pretty jarring after watching Ys Seven's. It feels so haphazardly thrown together. From the scene progression to the music choice.

Still can't wait to play this though! lol

Top Bottom