• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

See, I didn't care for the Taito remake because they removed the lawnmower-style combat and floaty jumping. ;) That's what made Ys 3 fun -- it played unlike any other game, and was so fast-paced and weird and awkward that it was just an amazingly charming novelty.

The Taito remake is far too... ordinary. There's nothing unique about the combat system, and Adol is just so SLOW now... it just doesn't feel like Ys to me anymore.

-Tom

I enjoyed the fact that they added a "combo" to Adol's attack animation, or if you wanted you could've done vanilla single stroke attacks from the option menu. But yeah, it shook up a few things that were standard across the myriad ports it received over the years, not at all surprising to see dislike for it.

The voice acting and arrangements are pretty ho hum, though. :)

Kensuke

Dude. It's amazing. Seriously. I know I work for the company that published it, but let me tell you, if that weren't the case, I would be FREAKING OUT over it right now. The box is huge and beautiful, the book is awesome and really stylized, the CDs add up to four hours of fantastic music, the map is gorgeous and detailed, and the compass is a nice novelty. It's far and away the best LE we've ever released for anything, and one of the best LEs I've ever seen for any game in the U.S. to date. You absolutely won't be disappointed if you pick it up.

Very convincing sales pitch. ;)

There won't be any DLC right? I'm ordering from Europe, which would make DLC incompatible with my Vita.

Eusis

I loved Ys 3 as a kid, but yeah, if that's your first impression of the series as a whole, you're definitely not seeing what it's all about.

-Tom
Oh, I liked it - even though I mainly rented it because I was hyped up for "Zelda III" and this had a cover that made me think of Zelda at the time and was numbered III - but it's definitely not a game that will leave the best first impression. Not quite like Ys V I imagine though, Ys III is something distinct and only a few games like Zelda II are similar, while Ys V just looked like a generic, forgettable 16-bit RPG.

Aeana

As I expected, this game does NOT work with the Vita TV. It needs that 1.02 patch the JP version got. Not surprised, but completely disappointed, especially after wyrdwad claimed it would.

Dio

Banned
Agreed! :)
Can't wait to get it! Off topic question for Tom, I heard back when TiTS SC was announced that xseed was considering doing a special physical release of some sort, Have there been any updates on this?

I can tell you right now that since it was a 2-UMD game in Japan, it's near impossible we'll get that version. I'm hoping like hell that a PC physical copy will be available though.

Eusis

I can tell you right now that since it was a 2-UMD game in Japan, it's near impossible we'll get that version. I'm hoping like hell that a PC physical copy will be available though.
Well, the cases seemingly exist here or have come here if some Capcom UMD collections are any indication. The problem is what retailer will buy and sell new PSP games at this point? And XSEED's online store warehouse is their own offices, so the best bet probably is a physical PC release. Selling a physical PC game to retailers will be a bitch too I'm sure, but it's probably not as hard to deal with as a PSP game. But as chances are barely higher at best I wouldn't be getting hopes up.

As I expected, this game does NOT work with the Vita TV. It needs that 1.02 patch the JP version got. Not surprised, but completely disappointed, especially after wyrdwad claimed it would.

Bummer. Here's hoping it's patched down the road. Anywho, to the forest! :D

Is there a reason that this would not be possible? (I mean besides the psp being pretty well dead and gone in NA.)The psp version is edit: announced to become available digitally on the japanese psn now as well. I would love to see the pc version have a release, but I think this is almost less likely. I imagine either would surely be a very limited release.

Ken

Uh-oh. After which game failed to live up to your expectations?

If it was Ys Seven, Celceta might not change your mind, since it is based on the same game engine. I'd suggest second-chancing it with Oath in Felghana instead.

If it was any other game, though... then do carry on. ;)

-Tom

Ys Seven. I didn't really find the characters or dialogue interesting enough to hold my attention, but at the same time I don't think I gave it enough of a chance so I'm going to try again with Celceta and go in more open-minded about it.

It was my first Ys game but I can't remember what my expectations were going in.

Are there any missable quests or such in this? I want to just immerse myself in it without worrying if I'm missing stuff. It's not a deal breaker, I'm buying it regardless, but I would like to know if I need to look up anything before I start wreaking havoc. =)

Dude. It's amazing. Seriously. I know I work for the company that published it, but let me tell you, if that weren't the case, I would be FREAKING OUT over it right now. The box is huge and beautiful, the book is awesome and really stylized, the CDs add up to four hours of fantastic music, the map is gorgeous and detailed, and the compass is a nice novelty. It's far and away the best LE we've ever released for anything, and one of the best LEs I've ever seen for any game in the U.S. to date. You absolutely won't be disappointed if you pick it up.

-Tom

The Three CD Soundtrack from all over the series is unheard of in limited editions. We have gotten "best of" single discs of a series/single games, and whole soundtracks of games before but this is a first.

I also really like the strategy/art book. Ever since Doublejump went under there has been a lack of really nice strategy guides and this is very welcome (piggyback is close for mainstream stuff but they hardly touch smaller studios)

Flarin

Per a Sony source to IGN: "Support as mentioned in the post is applicable to territories where Vita TV is available." Perhaps that Japanese version works and the NA release does not?

That quote was specific to Killzone: Mercenaries, but I imagine it would extend to other titles as well.

Blue-kun

Man, put in an hour just now into the game. Started on Nightmare, going to play without healing items because gotta add to the challenge. Had a great time with the first boss already, died a bunch but finally managed to bring him down. So far I'm enjoying how they seem to have tinkered with the Flash Guard, the impression I got is that it isn't not nearly as broken, seeing as it feels a lot less "cancellable" than before. Seven no matter what you were doing it felt as if it overwrote any other command, here I feel that I gotta time my attacks because I can't just guard if I'm in the middle of a sword thurst.

Also, the AI also seems to be a bit more prone to getting damaged. They won't die, but it's definitely not the godtier dodging they had in Seven while not being controlled by us. That's cool.

Anyway, just waiting for the Vita to charge and going to jump right back into it!

Not at launch, no -- the patch wasn't ready in time to be applied before mastering. The game should theoretically still be Vita TV compatible as-is, however (the touchscreen emulation via L3 and R3 will suffice for the touch puzzles), but I can't confirm that with any certainty just yet.

Obviously, though, we will be looking into applying the patch in the future -- and if Vita TV is announced for release in the west, I'm sure that'll light a fire under our butts to get it done quicker. ;)

I wouldn't really call that a claim.

Levyne

Banned
It always surprises me how many people play these games on Nightmare. I'm just gonna start on normal, lol. Nightmare later, maybe.

Dio

Banned
It always surprises me how many people play these games on Nightmare. I'm just gonna start on normal, lol. Nightmare later, maybe.
Playing OiF on Inferno was pretty fun. Nightmare isn't too bad in Origin, I played through all three routes on Nightmare without ever trying lower difficulties.

Blue-kun

It's an acquired taste, though it also has to do with how Seven definitely felt a lot easier than Oath/Origin due to the party system and flash guarding, haha. Still, these are incredibly fun games in whatever difficulty one plays on, so it's all fine.

The only game(s) in the series where I refuse to play Nightmare is Chronicles and other versions of I/II. There's some nasty stuff there, to the point where it goes a little bit beyond what I'd call "fair", lol.

Moofers

None. Unless you count iTunes/Amazon MP3 OST purchases, then most of them.

There was a specific trailer for this. One of the games had some add-on you could get that made the OST all metal or something. It was even named something like "heavy metal Ys" or whatever.

Dio

Banned
It's an acquired taste, though it also has to do with how Seven definitely felt a lot easier than Oath/Origin due to the party system and flash guarding, haha. Still, these are incredibly fun games in whatever difficulty one plays on, so it's all fine.

The only game(s) in the series where I refuse to play Nightmare is Chronicles and other versions of I/II. There's some nasty stuff there, to the point where it goes a little bit beyond what I'd call "fair", lol.

I dunno, Ys II in Chronicles on Nightmare isn't so bad. Magic breaks the game hard enough so it wasn't ball-busting to finish a playthrough. I still haven't tried I on Nightmare though.

Mr.Jeff

It's a step up in difficulty for sure but it's not really impossible as such.

I've just finished going through the series from Origin to Seven on Nightmare and while I died a lot, most of the time it was just a learning curve of knowing how to avoid attacks. The mechanics are mostly the same, they're just less lenient if you get hit by an attack.

Felghana was the most satisfying to beat though.

Edit: Although the final Boss of Ys I is a complete bastard who I never want to see again.

BOTEC

Crap. Vita TV is now 1 - 3 for happiness. I'm starting to think up ways to return my unit.

Eusis

There was a specific trailer for this. One of the games had some add-on you could get that made the OST all metal or something. It was even named something like "heavy metal Ys" or whatever.
It was probably the Ys I & II Chronicles one advertising the soundtrack the game had and maybe the physical LE that included a music CD. In which case, well, iTunes, Amazon, and straight up importing can get you the entire OST package and then some.

EDIT: Although, the game does have a built in music toggle, but by default this is the soundtrack, with the soundtracks from other versions put in. And that physical version is only on PSP, on PC you'll have to make do buying the Steam game then buying these soundtracks there or where ever else.

zroid

Banned
And now the long wait for Best Buy to ship my copy. In the past I've had to wait anywhere from 2-3 weeks for my pre-ordered XSEED games to arrive. :(

Dio

Banned

Oh, it's not an addon. All copies of Chronicles allow you to set it to that, that's the modern edition of the OST. There's multiple 'versions' of the OST that are included inside the game as a 'setting'.

Hatsuu

XSEED
How talky/cutscene-y of an RPG is this? I just want combat not bogged down by the slow parts of jrpgs.

There's a fair amount of cutscenes since this has the most text of any Ys game, but press and hold the O button to fast forward through text. Made capturing footage from specific scenes mighty easy.

Shinypogs

There's a fair amount of cutscenes since this has the most text of any Ys game, but press and hold the O button to fast forward through text. Made capturing footage from specific scenes mighty easy.

Are the stories in this series notoriously deep or is all the talking just repetition of important points so you can't possibly fuck anything up? I have been craving something with a genuinely good story for a while.

Alric

Are the stories in this series notoriously deep or is all the talking just repetition of important points so you can't possibly fuck anything up? I have been craving something with a genuinely good story for a while.

Nah, it's Action gameplay / Music with some story here and there. It's not terrible but just not much. Seven had the most of all the story and I can't speak for Celceta since I haven't played it yet but I'll assume it goes the route of seven and has a bit more story than the others.

Levyne

Banned
I will definitely post impressions once I get into it. Was downloading a bunch of other shit (including Soul Sacrifice!) and now this is just about done.

Picked up a physical copy but I'm having issues as I think I should have gotten the digital version. Plus with the deal if you spend $60 you get $10 back deal. Ugh decisions

LE GET!

Ok, first off, nice LE, not sure I gree with the track list on the 3CDs, but well, Ys Music is like Doctor Who, getting people to agree on Favorites is an impossibility.

Title screen music and the intro text music is weird. Great arrangements but so damn odd hearing them as slow songs when I am used to them as upbeat tunes.

Promalock arrangement is awesome though!

people that picked it up, how does it actually look on vita vs say ys 7 on vita?

the screenshots make me feel like they look a bit too similar >.>" hope its just how shitty sony compresses pics though.

Top Bottom