• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

Reveirg

The soundtrack in this one comes on really heavy later on, and overtakes Seven in my opinion. Some amazing tracks in the second half after a lot of repeated tunes in the first.

Glad to hear that. So far some of the field area themes are pretty good (though nothing amazing), but the village themes are quite bland (and especially annoying in one case).

Enjoying the game, but for some reason the way the character controls feels kinda floaty and slightly awkward. Somehow it doesn't seem as tight as Seven. Walking around in houses in town is where it is most noticeable. I am sure I will get used to it though.

NeededSleep

Worst in game opening ever..

All just because of that horrible cat walking animation. Holy shit it looked like something out of a silent hill game monster animation.

But the OST and combat brought me back down to happiness pretty quickly after.

Jiraiza

Man, I've been grinding off of this huge ogre when you first encounter it in the Forest of Dawn on nightmare mode. It's kinda funny.

Getting some good Flash Guard and Flash Move practice though.

jdkluv

ibhprESmoopbNk.gif

iyJ1ot2CqPLQk.gif

dat Ys action

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
"We had to remove Dogi to incorporate Adol's amnesia."

Well, Dogi... amnesia plotline... I know which I'd rather have.

I fully intend to play as if flash move/guard don't exist. I never even attempted to flash guard in Seven, the whole concept seems not-Ys to me.

pa22word

I'm not reading that link because spoilers and such, but I'm probably around 30-40% through the game atm and I think it might be because
I think the guy might be playing Adol and taking advantage of the fact he lost his memories to later further his own agenda, and he might be involved with his memory loss to begin with.

Obviously don't confirm or deny any of that, but I'm probably overthinking it because it is Ys after all so the story going for that grand of a twist is probably out of the reach for the game's intended plot, but still it would be awesome :D

pa22word

I need some real talk: which is better, this or Ys Seven

Despite the technical issues (shaky framerate and seemingly really low internal rendering res), I like this game more because of the added defensive options this time around. Flash guard is basically a parry which can ascend you to godlike levels of offensive rebound on foes and flash dodge basically turns you into max payne with a sword. The both of them combined removes a lot of the combat barriers that would otherwise exist to keep you out of places, and it allows for a more skillful playstyle due to the ways it allows you to basically ignore your defense stats. Now with this in mind, depending on how hardset you are on being an RPG fan that may disappoint you and move you back towards 7's camp because it moves the series further into "action game with stats" territory vs a trueblood RPG, but for me personally I like the added mechanics. There are still problems though that a high defense stat helps alleviate, like wonky hit detection and the fact that the screen gets waaaaay to busy sometimes to meaningfully see an attack coming, so it kinda balances it out in a way, even if unintentional.

depward

Welp. Despite not loving Ys 7 (played 3 hours and dropped it for some reason). Not like Ark of Napishtim. But liking Oath of Felghana... I picked this up. Should be here next week.

I always really like the IDEA of Ys, but as you'll see above, it usually doesn't stick.

I do have a tendency to support platforms (like the PSP and now Vita) that don't get as much love as I think they ought to, so I guess part of the reason why I purchased was to support the platform (and XSEED).

We'll see how it goes!

Is ys seven a good lead up to this haven't played a ys game since ark on psp and missed out on a couple apparently and they are on sale I think on psn for real cheap. Worth it?

Is ys seven a good lead up to this haven't played a ys game since ark on psp and missed out on a couple apparently and they are on sale I think on psn for real cheap. Worth it?

Seven is the most similar to this one so it would give you a good idea about whether or not you'd enjoy this. I think it's a pretty good game too, so go for it!

teiresias

I haven't flash guarded on purpose yet - though I've done it accidentally about two times. Granted I only just finished the mines at the very beginning. I also felt I was doing absolutely no damage to the boss in the mines and it took forever (relative to the time I think a first boss should take anyway) to beat him. The charge for your Extra also seems to take forever to charge, but perhaps that's only because I only have the one skill so far - do later skills help charge it faster or do stats affect that?

One thing is this game may force me to get a grip for my Vita, my hand is already cramping after only this one hour of play.

All of the Ys games on PSP are both amazing an unique. Chronicles is a remake of Ys 1 and 2, with gorgeous sprite graphics, and expanded, classic bump based gameplay. I love them to death but some consider the game a bit archaic. I think the updates modernized them quite a bit, but these are still based on versions that came out in 2000, so there is that.

Oath in Felghana is the best Ys game ever made, probably the best Action RPG ever made. Unlike Ark, which has the same engine, it was actually ported to PSP by Falcom and plays and looks pretty much perfect. It's much faster than Ark, with much better level designs. Also has THE best soundtrack in series history. And that is saying something.

Ys Seven, which is closest to Celceta in gameplay, mixes Ys action with a party based JRPG, and it works really, really well. The world is much bigger than any other Ys game, (save Celceta) and the story is more involved too. The different party members really change up the gameplay, but at its core it still FEELS like Ys, which is damned impressive for such a massive change from what had until then been a single character action RPG series.

So if you want one that is close to Memories of Celceta, Seven is probably your best bet. But the other games on PSN are well, well worth it. Buy all three!!

RangerBAD

"We had to remove Dogi to incorporate Adol's amnesia."

Well, Dogi... amnesia plotline... I know which I'd rather have.

I fully intend to play as if flash move/guard don't exist. I never even attempted to flash guard in Seven, the whole concept seems not-Ys to me.

Having party members isn't very Ys-esque either. If you can manage that though, it would be awesome.

Crumbtiny

So as someone looking to get into the series is this new game a good place to start? I have Chronicles on the Vita and while it is fun, like an above post mentioned it does feel a bit dated (though I do love me some sprites).

As far as the more modern entries (on Vita), there's Oath, 7, and then this one? Any one of these games rise about the others? Or are they all pretty enjoyable?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So as someone looking to get into the series is this new game a good place to start? I have Chronicles on the Vita and while it is fun, like an above post mentioned it does feel a bit dated (though I do love me some sprites).

As far as the more modern entries (on Vita), there's Oath, 7, and then this one? Any one of these games rise about the others? Or are they all pretty enjoyable?

I don't have my copy of Celceta yet but Seven and Oath are both very enjoyable (and very different). Oath has platforming elements and is more challenging while Seven has more standard RPG features (a party, more equipment, crafting and item drops) and is what Celceta was built off of.

Also, if you haven't gotten to Ys II yet you should keep at it, around the very beginning of the game you get offensive magic that adds quite a bit of depth (especially to boss battles, which I feel are the weakest part of Ys I).

Oath has the best combat and bosses imo. It also doesn't overstay it's welcome and has a shorter quest than Seven. I like Seven, but I found Oath to be a much more satisfying experience gameplay-wise. The best action RPG I have ever played.

Crumbtiny

I don't have my copy of Celceta yet but Seven and Oath are both very enjoyable (and very different). Oath has platforming elements and is more challenging while Seven has more standard RPG features (a party, more equipment, crafting and item drops) and is what Celceta was built off of.

Also, if you haven't gotten to Ys II yet you should keep at it, around the very beginning of the game you get offensive magic that adds quite a bit of depth (especially to boss battles, which I feel are the weakest part of Ys I).

Thanks to both of you for the input. I'm leaning towards 7 with its RPG trappings. Then I looked on PSN and both games are on sale for $7.49 so I figured, why not both :)

Now if I can just get PSN to cooperate...

antibolo

Banned
Weird Ys question for you Ys veterans in the thread: are the TG16/PCE Ys games still worth playing now? I have recently acquired a RGB and region modded PC Engine Duo-R and am currently building my game collection, and I know the Ys games on that system were highly regarded but I'm wondering if they still hold up well today.

Eusis

Weird Ys question for you Ys veterans in the thread: are the TG16/PCE Ys games still worth playing now? I have recently acquired a RGB and region modded PC Engine Duo-R and am currently building my game collection, and I know the Ys games on that system were highly regarded but I'm wondering if they still hold up well today.
Depends I guess, Ys I & II can be kind of obtuse at times, and the combat is very simple to say the least (it is literally ramming into everything) but they go by fast and the music's still fantastic, though being Redbook audio it wasn't like it'd age the same as most 8-bit/16-bit audio would. But you've grabbed that system, so you may as well play them.

Ys Book 1&2 is probably still my favorite incarnation of those two games after all these years. The CD soundtrack in it hasn't been rivaled in any of the later remixes. Gameplay and overall balance is great. When you hear the intro music/cinema on a good sound setup it is pure bliss.

Ys III is kinda clunky, and besides the music I would actually prefer just about any other version but that one. The music is great though, but the choppy scrolling and hit detection hurt it.

Ys IV is probably one of the most impressive games on the PCE SCD. Right up there with Dracula X in showing what the system could do.

Teknoman

I'll say yes. I & II CD release still has the best dual intro, best version of "Theme of Adol", and although they dont really hold up that well graphically (the smaller enemies anyway) they are still fun to blast through.

You'll probably get lost in Darm's Tower though.

I need to get Ys IV translation set up at some point...

EDIT: On a side note, snag Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer if you can. Its a classic turn based fighter with cheesy voice acting, but its still enjoyable (or at least the small bit i've played before committing to it). Battle system is pretty fast, and its another with an excellent intro: [B]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rkXUK8Yn8g[/B]

Okay, anyone wanna give me some starting pointers in terms of what the hell to do with all these items and upgrading and blacksmiths and stuff? I mean why would I be putting points into weapons when I'm just going to find/buy a new one? Are these ingredients all important to hoard and save?

On top of that stuff, how exactly do you learn new skills, is it random?

kubricks

That would be like playing SF3rd strike without parrying. Yes it is doable but you would be missing a lot of fun.
I do think OiF's precision jumping makes boss battle more epic (
Chester in inferno FFFFUUUUU
), but Ys7 system has it own merit.

Worst in game opening ever..

All just because of that horrible cat walking animation. Holy shit it looked like something out of a silent hill game monster animation.

But the OST and combat brought me back down to happiness pretty quickly after.

That is a cat? Really? XD
At least I am in battle quicker than Ys7...

Everyone may already know this but the game has pinch-to-zoom on the front touchscreen to control the in-game camera.
No I did not!!!! Thanks you just make the game even more enjoyable!

zroid

Banned
still twiddling my thumbs waiting for this to ship :mad:

though in fairness, I still need to get through the last few stages of Mario, and play through Zelda and Tearaway before starting Ys. Can barely contain my excitement, though! Amazing year's end for the consoles nobody gives a shit about (aka Wii U and Vita).

Yuterald

Christ, took me 4 and a half hours to reach the first dungeon. Playing this game at the same time as Zelda: A Link Between Worlds probably isn't helping in the pacing department. That took way too long! Hope this place is cool!

EDIT: Okay, this place is really cool. Wrap around central, got my first Artifact and all's good right now.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Just got my copy. Guess it was sitting in my front porch for an hour or so lol. It was expected to come here Monday. The one day I don't check my mail right away. The LE is gorgeous. Have some minor creases on the outside box, but I'm fine with them. Glad that Amazon shipped it in a box.

kick51

Banned
Despite the technical issues (shaky framerate and seemingly really low internal rendering res), I like this game more because of the added defensive options this time around. Flash guard is basically a parry which can ascend you to godlike levels of offensive rebound on foes and flash dodge basically turns you into max payne with a sword. The both of them combined removes a lot of the combat barriers that would otherwise exist to keep you out of places, and it allows for a more skillful playstyle due to the ways it allows you to basically ignore your defense stats. Now with this in mind, depending on how hardset you are on being an RPG fan that may disappoint you and move you back towards 7's camp because it moves the series further into "action game with stats" territory vs a trueblood RPG, but for me personally I like the added mechanics. There are still problems though that a high defense stat helps alleviate, like wonky hit detection and the fact that the screen gets waaaaay to busy sometimes to meaningfully see an attack coming, so it kinda balances it out in a way, even if unintentional.

Celceta sounds more up my alley. I'm a sucker for mechanics like that! sold.

Levyne

Banned
Put a ton of hours into this today. I feel I am nearing the "end" but I will almost certainly replay this at least once.

Reveirg

I really like the game so far, really fun gameplay!

But am I the only one finding the art direction and music inferior to Ys Seven and Oath in Felghana? Not sure what it is but something seems off...

Might just be I've had too much Ys in one year, I only discovered the series a few months ago and already went through all the localized games! XD

Just a little follow-up, it definitely gets better from (midway spoilers):
The tower dungeon
and onwards.

Better music, better environments, story actually gets interesting and various systems open up. Really liking this game!!

I have no idea what the etiquette is for posting stuff about the game so I am just going to spoiler this to be sure. But it's a tip to get a certain trophy easily.

Getting a Flash Guard 50 times is a trophy. I don't play using Guard too much so I didn't automatically get it while playing. Later on when you have already visited Selray, the village on the river, return there to see the updated quests available. One is for weapon testing. I did the first one for the flame sword and for the second weapon test I chose the knives for Karna. The knives you get will inflict the Heavy status on just about every hit. You are tasked with defeating 5 of the crocodile looking things which are just north of the village. These crocodiles are extremely easy to flash guard when they are inflicted with the Heavy status. They telegraph their moves so much that it's easy enough to get all 50 Flash Guards in one fight. The same could be done for the Flash Move trophy as well.

Hope this helps someone who maybe doesn't use guard too much like me.

I'm close to three hours in on nightmare and I'm loving it. The first boss was quite a challenge and took a little bit of level grinding to finally beat him. Now I'm in the Forrest and about 8% done with map working on quests.

I think it will be a while before I play Zelda ALBW.

Top Bottom