• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

Okay, anyone wanna give me some starting pointers in terms of what the hell to do with all these items and upgrading and blacksmiths and stuff? I mean why would I be putting points into weapons when I'm just going to find/buy a new one? Are these ingredients all important to hoard and save?

On top of that stuff, how exactly do you learn new skills, is it random?

anyone got anything on this?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I do not like anything in this game except for the combat and anything related to combat. Everything else is just average/uninteresting.

I do not like anything in this game except for the combat and anything related to combat. Everything else is just average/uninteresting.

thats pretty much ys in a nutshell... + great soundtrack.

i guess same with tales... and pretty much every jrpg franchise these days :(

Yuterald

anyone got anything on this?

You know, I've been playing on Nightmare and haven't upgraded a single piece of equipment yet. There's definitely an incentive to use materials and enhance equipment as they introduce poison quite early and it's really annoying, hah! I've also noticed that a lot of the chests/harvest points around the early parts of the game drop/provide the gem/ore needed to increase your poison resistance. So, as I said, they definitely want you to make use of the enhancements, IF you're having trouble though. I've just completed the first major dungeon/boss without the use of equipment enhancing and while it's been somewhat challenging (playing on Nightmare, remember) it's still doable if you get your Flash Guard/Move down. Right now, I've just been running the game with base equipment and until I arrive at a point where I NEED to enhance my stuff, I'm not touching that shit!

My concern, as you mentioned, is that new equipment might be right around the corner (and it usually is) so I don't want to waste materials on low level gear, if I can tough it out, that is. I'd also like to know if there's a way to remove materials from equipment (which I somehow doubt). I've got a ton of questions about that whole system too. Like, what's the max stat you can take each resistance/bonus/whatever to on equipment? I've seen that REALLY expensive material/item that adds a +9 to all parameters, so is that the max?

With that said, the game finally clicked and I'm cool with it now. I didn't really care for how long it took to get to a real dungeon, but when it did, it became Ys again for me. The first major dungeon was really cool. Loved the puzzles there and the artifact usage. That place was very tightly designed, cohesive and didn't overstay its welcome. It's what I'm always looking for when it comes to dungeons. I can't wait to see the rest of the game now!

Levyne

Banned
I like the weapon and armor upgrading system in theory, however, it seems like by the time you are able to designate what sorts of upgrades you want on whomever's equipment, you can buy something new that clearly outclasses it. Maybe this is a less of a problem on a harder difficulty when you have to take things a little slower.

And yeah, the game is a LOT more talk-y than I expected. Surprised at how much text I have to click through. I'm not offended by the characters and story though, which I all I care for in any JRPG. It's a high enough bar for most of them to meet.

I know that sounds defensive, maybe, "oh the story isn't terrible so that's good!". But even if the story/plot/characters were brilliant it wouldn't shift much my opinion of the game much. Such things just have very little weight for me, either way.

jengo

You can roll your customized equipment into a newly purchased item (with a presumably higher base stat). I don't think ALL the points carry over, but I guess that's how you're supposed to determine the risk/reward of your equipment management.

I'm playing on hard and after the 3rd or so boss I found having a party with varying status ailments (one with freeze, one with paralyze, etc boosted) helps.

kayos90

Don't like the music? Please exit the thread!

Music is average. It reminds me of old school JRPG actually. Suddenly stirs up the nostalgia but nothing to outstanding. Granted I'm not far into the game so I haven't heard too many tunes.

Levyne

Banned
You can roll your customized equipment into a newly purchased item (with a presumably higher base stat). I don't think ALL the points carry over, but I guess that's how you're supposed to determine the risk/reward of your equipment management.

I'm playing on hard and after the 3rd or so boss I found having a party with varying status ailments (one with freeze, one with paralyze, etc boosted) helps.

Yeah, you can but it seems like such a small percentage of points and it seems more cost effective just to start from gems or beast materials again. I mean, maybe it's not,but just seems easier to simply use your gems or ingots or beast material of choice.

Edit: I agree on the status-ailment part. Very useful relative to pure stat upgrades.

Music is average. It reminds me of old school JRPG actually. Suddenly stirs up the nostalgia but nothing to outstanding. Granted I'm not far into the game so I haven't heard too many tunes.

It does get better in some of the later areas but I liked Origin and Oaths soundtracks way more. I'm about 60-80% through.

teiresias

I'm about 3 hours in and seem completely lost - or at least I'm completely uncertain I'm going in the right direction, can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track?

I've finished the mine and started exploring the forest (I've finished all the quests on the board so far - only 4 of them), but I've still not found my way to the river or the big tree as indicated by what I will assume is the main quest line.

I've found the first camp-site in the forest and have worked my way a bit East and picked up some memories, and also gone west until I've gotten to the "Forest Maze" or labyrinth - where there appears to be a drawbridge just before the labyrinth that MAY take me to the big tree, but I'm not sure. Am I supposed to be going through this labyrinth right now? There are also larger versions of enemies in certain areas that I can't defeat because they do tons of damage at this point.

Am I going in the right direction AT ALL? There was one area just to the west of the campsite that looks like it would go directly to the big tree, but I'd need to knock down a tree stump and apparently am supposed to come at it from the other direction - presumably to make a return shortcut, but can't approach it from that direction.

I'm just feeling a whole hell of alot more aimless now than I ever remember feeling in Ys 7, so I'm completely unsure I'm even going to the right places (or am just overlooking obvious paths).

Levyne

Banned
Yes, you can make it through the "lost woods" of sorts. There is something to notice that tells you which way to go to get through.

Edit: And yeah, there are some early enemies that are best to avoid until later.

It's actually below average. =(

It's okay. I'm sure you're above average on the inside.

So how about learning new skills, is that random or is there some way to trigger it? I've got one new skill for Adol so far and nothing for Duran

I have no idea what the etiquette is for posting stuff about the game so I am just going to spoiler this to be sure. But it's a tip to get a certain trophy easily.

Getting a Flash Guard 50 times is a trophy. I don't play using Guard too much so I didn't automatically get it while playing. Later on when you have already visited Selray, the village on the river, return there to see the updated quests available. One is for weapon testing. I did the first one for the flame sword and for the second weapon test I chose the knives for Karna. The knives you get will inflict the Heavy status on just about every hit. You are tasked with defeating 5 of the crocodile looking things which are just north of the village. These crocodiles are extremely easy to flash guard when they are inflicted with the Heavy status. They telegraph their moves so much that it's easy enough to get all 50 Flash Guards in one fight. The same could be done for the Flash Move trophy as well.

Hope this helps someone who maybe doesn't use guard too much like me.

Got that one pretty easy, still haven't gotten the flash move one yet though.

Have you done the third part of that quest yet? I have no idea where to find the monsters to kill for it.

Volcynika

I'm about 3 hours in and seem completely lost - or at least I'm completely uncertain I'm going in the right direction, can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track?

I've finished the mine and started exploring the forest (I've finished all the quests on the board so far - only 4 of them), but I've still not found my way to the river or the big tree as indicated by what I will assume is the main quest line.

I've found the first camp-site in the forest and have worked my way a bit East and picked up some memories, and also gone west until I've gotten to the "Forest Maze" or labyrinth - where there appears to be a drawbridge just before the labyrinth that MAY take me to the big tree, but I'm not sure. Am I supposed to be going through this labyrinth right now? There are also larger versions of enemies in certain areas that I can't defeat because they do tons of damage at this point.

Am I going in the right direction AT ALL? There was one area just to the west of the campsite that looks like it would go directly to the big tree, but I'd need to knock down a tree stump and apparently am supposed to come at it from the other direction - presumably to make a return shortcut, but can't approach it from that direction.

I'm just feeling a whole hell of alot more aimless now than I ever remember feeling in Ys 7, so I'm completely unsure I'm even going to the right places (or am just overlooking obvious paths).

Yeah, go through the labyrinth.

Yuterald

I'd like to know about the skill learning too. I think I remember reading/seeing somewhere that you have a chance of learning a new skill when defeating "large" enemies. It's definitely random. I fought this giant toad dude in the first dungeon and learned a skill for Ozma but I would end up dying somewhere ahead of their location. Upon reloading my game I would pass the same toad guys, kill 'em, and I didn't learn the skill. So, yeah, not sure what's going on. Game's got sort of a SaGa Frontier-like "glim" nonsense skill learning thing going on. Not sure I like it! Would have rather for them to have kept the Ys 7 skill system. It was fine. =/

Levyne

Banned
Got that one pretty easy, still haven't gotten the flash move one yet though.

Have you done the third part of that quest yet? I have no idea where to find the monsters to kill for it.

The third weapon one? I think I know which one that is but haven't done it yet because they are still a bit hard to kill for me.

Very minor spoilers below
It's a monster in the poison forest that you traverse with Frieda and that crushing whatever artifact. Second part when you start meeting the sting ray and big blob fish type enemies. Sorry, I'm terrible with names, haha. There's a couple tall purple stationary poison spewing enemy flower things.

The third weapon one? I think I know which one that is but haven't done it yet because they are still a bit hard to kill for me.

Very minor spoilers below
It's a monster in the poison forest that you traverse with Frieda and that crushing whatever artifact. Second part when you start meeting the sting ray and big blob fish type enemies. Sorry, I'm terrible with names, haha. There's a couple tall purple stationary poison spewing enemy flower things.

Odd, they aren't in my monster list. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Blue-kun

Loving it! Got up to the
Tower of Providence
part and so far it's doing a hell of a good job of reminding me why Seven ended up being my favourite game in the series. Party system and incredibly fast-paced combat were huge pluses for me, and Celceta so far builds on it and makes it even better. It's even faster and I love how they handled the skills. They might not be as many as they were back in Seven, but most of them are useful enough that you're not using a single one most of the time. Especially since you can do some great combos to keep the ball rolling.

Got around 16 hours clocked and I'm playing on Nightmare without healing items, and so far the game seems pretty accessible. The random enemies are more challenging than Seven's, but the bosses haven't quite gave me any issues yet. It's a good challenge, and not really EASY, as seen by some awful deaths at the hands of getting mobbed by beasts, but it still doesn't get to that level of difficulty present in YsF/YsO.

The one thing that seems to be a step down from Seven, at least so far, is the actual story. I guess some people will like it much better this way, considering after the first 30 minutes the game barely has any cutscenes and the ones that exist are short, but I actually thought Seven's plot was pretty decent. However, the last 2-3 hours had some good reveals, and although a bit obvious what they're trying to do here, it doesn't make it any less exciting/cool. For old timers it's also neat how you see a lot of little references to situations and places that Adol will visit later on in his life, but that you're already aware of since you played those games.

Anyhow, Vita is charging for now, but I wanna get back to it asap.

I'd like to know about the skill learning too. I think I remember reading/seeing somewhere that you have a chance of learning a new skill when defeating "large" enemies. It's definitely random. I fought this giant toad dude in the first dungeon and learned a skill for Ozma but I would end up dying somewhere ahead of their location. Upon reloading my game I would pass the same toad guys, kill 'em, and I didn't learn the skill. So, yeah, not sure what's going on. Game's got sort of a SaGa Frontier-like "glim" nonsense skill learning thing going on. Not sure I like it! Would have rather for them to have kept the Ys 7 skill system. It was fine. =/

From what I gather, it is indeed random, though your characters also need to be a certain level in order for there to be a chance of the skill being learnt. From what the game says, and my own experiences, anyway, it just seems as if there's a bigger chance of getting them when you're fighting off harder monsters such as those 'boss' ones around the forest and what not.

I liked Seven's system, too, but this way you're actually using the skills to learn more, which also works. Plus, right from the get-go you do have good skills, so it isn't like on Seven where you were constantly getting new ones but after a while Adol would stick to Sword Dance because it was that much better than the rest. YMMV, of course!

Yuterald

Loving it! Got up to the
Tower of Providence
part and so far it's doing a hell of a good job of reminding me why Seven ended up being my favourite game in the series. Party system and incredibly fast-paced combat were huge pluses for me, and Celceta so far builds on it and makes it even better. It's even faster and I love how they handled the skills. They might not be as many as they were back in Seven, but most of them are useful enough that you're not using a single one most of the time. Especially since you can do some great combos to keep the ball rolling.

Got around 16 hours clocked and I'm playing on Nightmare without healing items, and so far the game seems pretty accessible. The random enemies are more challenging than Seven's, but the bosses haven't quite gave me any issues yet. It's a good challenge, and not really EASY, as seen by some awful deaths at the hands of getting mobbed by beasts, but it still doesn't get to that level of difficulty present in YsF/YsO.

The one thing that seems to be a step down from Seven, at least so far, is the actual story. I guess some people will like it much better this way, considering after the first 30 minutes the game barely has any cutscenes and the ones that exist are short, but I actually thought Seven's plot was pretty decent. However, the last 2-3 hours had some good reveals, and although a bit obvious what they're trying to do here, it doesn't make it any less exciting/cool. For old timers it's also neat how you see a lot of little references to situations and places that Adol will visit later on in his life, but that you're already aware of since you played those games.

Anyhow, Vita is charging for now, but I wanna get back to it asap.

From what I gather, it is indeed random, though your characters also need to be a certain level in order for there to be a chance of the skill being learnt. From what the game says, and my own experiences, anyway, it just seems as if there's a bigger chance of getting them when you're fighting off harder monsters such as those 'boss' ones around the forest and what not.

I liked Seven's system, too, but this way you're actually using the skills to learn more, which also works. Plus, right from the get-go you do have good skills, so it isn't like on Seven where you were constantly getting new ones but after a while Adol would stick to Sword Dance because it was that much better than the rest. YMMV, of course!

Yeah, is this the first time that an Ys game allows you to just access your regular item stash during boss battles? I don't recall Ys 7 allowing you to do that, I can't remember? Felghana locked you out of your main menu too, right? I think having the ability to spam healing items during boss battles alleviates a lot of the potential frustration or tension with bosses (unless you're not using items to make it harder/more rewarding for yourself). Still, I thought something was off when I could pop into my item menu during major battles.

Yeah, the skill system works and there doesn't seem like there's anything really wrong with it, it's just a preference thing for me. I hate random ability/skill acquisition in games. It's just so not exciting feeling, but that's just me. Actually, one thing I dislike about the equipment in this game as opposed to the other games is how customizable they are (which most would most likely disagree with). One thing I love about Ys games (and most Zelda-like games) is how special and unique feeling equipment is. I want these games to remain RPG-lite. Opening a chest and obtaining Scale Armor+3 or whatever turns me off, generally. Sure, it's WAY more interesting to have equipment like this and it works in loot games like Diablo and such, but I kind of don't want to see that style make its way into games like Ys. Again, that's just a small comment/rant of mine that doesn't really make me like this game any less.

Oh, on a side note, is this game using Gurumin's sound effect bank? All the emoticon/menu sounds sound exactly like the ones from Gurumin. I can't be imagining this, lol!

Blue-kun

Yeah, is this the first time that an Ys game allows you to just access your regular item stash during boss battles? I don't recall Ys 7 allowing you to do that, I can't remember? Felghana locked you out of your main menu too, right? I think having the ability to spam healing items during boss battles alleviates a lot of the potential frustration or tension with bosses (unless you're not using items to make it harder/more rewarding for yourself). Still, I thought something was off when I could pop into my item menu during major battles.

Seven actually allowed you to use potions during boss battles, too. I'd say so far that was definitely more helpful there than here, because some of the bosses could be reaaaally hard without the items, haha. The difference between the two games regarding this particular feature is that Seven actually had a limit of how many potions you could carry. I think that, on Nightmare, you could only have 3 of each ones that restored HP, and only one of each item that actually revived fallen members. Celceta dropped that and if you so wish, you can walk around with 99 potions and feel like a champ, lol.

As for the rest, I kinda see where you're getting from, but that little equipment wonder hasn't stopped working for me here. Quite the contrary. I was surprised they still put the effort into making each weapon look unique, so I'm always curious to see what I'm getting next. It was a thing on Seven, too, but with how undetailed the graphics were it didn't go that much good. Here, though, I can zoom in and check how cool Adol's swords all look, so I'm enjoying that quite a bit. Takes me back to the Felghana times, where a new set meant a new sprite to look at :V

Alright sorry this is a selfish post, but I scooped up the silver edition without ever playing a Ys game, and my only action RPG experience was Final Fantasy Crisis Core.

What do I need to know? And I do like RPGs.

wilflare

anyone got more shots of the Silver Edition (like unboxing, etc)
I may end up having to sell mine (still sealed... and waiting for Amazon) when I buy my digital copy

Blue-kun

Alright sorry this is a selfish post, but I scooped up the silver edition without ever playing a Ys game, and my only action RPG experience was Final Fantasy Crisis Core.

What do I need to know? And I do like RPGs.

Not sure in what sense you mean this, but basically story-wise there's not much you need to know. The game has some references here and there about other titles in the series, but they're more for the hardcore fans than anything else, really. Other than that, the plot is pretty much standalone and you'll enjoy it just fine.

As for other random info, it's an A-RPG, the main character is Adol Christin, redheaded swordsman who stars almost all other Ys games. Action's fast paced, you'll make use of a dodge button to roll around and kick the crap out of enemies. Music is amazing. Expect lots and lots of exploration, the "world map" in this one is pretty huge and you'll be automatically filling a map of it as you advance through the game... and I don't know what else to say. If you need any more specific info, feel free to ask.

Yuterald

Seven actually allowed you to use potions during boss battles, too. I'd say so far that was definitely more helpful there than here, because some of the bosses could be reaaaally hard without the items, haha. The difference between the two games regarding this particular feature is that Seven actually had a limit of how many potions you could carry. I think that, on Nightmare, you could only have 3 of each ones that restored HP, and only one of each item that actually revived fallen members. Celceta dropped that and if you so wish, you can walk around with 99 potions and feel like a champ, lol.

As for the rest, I kinda see where you're getting from, but that little equipment wonder hasn't stopped working for me here. Quite the contrary. I was surprised they still put the effort into making each weapon look unique, so I'm always curious to see what I'm getting next. It was a thing on Seven, too, but with how undetailed the graphics were it didn't go that much good. Here, though, I can zoom in and check how cool Adol's swords all look, so I'm enjoying that quite a bit. Takes me back to the Felghana times, where a new set meant a new sprite to look at :V

Yeah, I do recall now Ys 7 limiting you on Nightmare. Weird that they've allowed full access to your item stock on the highest difficulty in this one. For me, the equipment stuff is split between liking what what they usually do and disliking what they've done to it. Since there's still dedicated slots for your armor in your inventory, it's relatively special feeling when you find a new piece. But at the same time, the +1 enhancement stuff and the fact that you can alter their parameters make it feel not so exciting when you find new gear. It's definitely a mixed bag for me, it's right in the middle or what I like and dislike about equipment in RPGs. Oh, and I too loved the sprite changes in Felghana!

can someone help me make sense of Ys series chronology and what's available on the Vita? (and the PSN Store)

Ys Origin (the prequel game) PSP
Ys I and II PSP
Ys Oath (remake of Ys III) PSP
Ys Celceta (remake of Ys IV) Vita

Ys Five ???
Ys Six ???

Ys Seven PSP

okay found this
http://www.giantbomb.com/ys/3025-112/games/

Chronologically (I've also added Adol's age during each game to the right):

Ys Origin (PC Only) N/A
Ys Chronicles (1 + 2) (PSP / PC, available on Vita) 17
Ys Celceta (yes, even though it is 4, it happens chronologically before 3) (PSV) 18
Ys Oath (yes, even thought it is 3, it happens chronologically after 4) (PSP / PC, available on Vita) 19
Ys Kefin (5) (SNES) 20
Ys Napishtim (6) (PC, bad ports on other systems like PSP and PS2, not available on Vita in NA) 23
Ys Seven (PSP, available on Vita) 23

Finalow

kayos you play Tales games
index.php

wilflare

Chronologically (I've also added Adol's age during each game to the right):

Ys Origin (PC Only) N/A
Ys Chronicles (1 + 2) (PSP / PC, available on Vita) 17
Ys Celceta (yes, even though it is 4, it happens chronologically before 3) (PSV) 18
Ys Oath (yes, even thought it is 3, it happens chronologically after 4) (PSP / PC, available on Vita) 19
Ys Kefin (5) (SNES) 20
Ys Napishtim (6) (PC, bad ports on other systems like PSP and PS2, not available on Vita in NA) 23
Ys Seven (PSP, available on Vita) 23

thanks! really hope they bring the other games to PSP (Origins, Kefin) and fix Napishtim for a Vita release or something

XSEED, do something

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
After a couple hours, my only complaint is the really dodgy framerate. I don't know how this isn't running at least at constant 30 at the lower resolution...

linkboy

thanks! really hope they bring the other games to PSP (Origins, Kefin) and fix Napishtim for a Vita release or something

XSEED, do something

Origins is possible, it got a re-release on Steam (worth it too, btw), however, XSEED won't do anything for the Vita unless FALCOM does it first.

As for Kefin, don't expect anything until a remake is done. However, an English translation patch was just (finally) released).

And Konami holds the publishing rights for Napishtim, so the balls in their court (however, the PSP version of Napishtim is grade A 100% dogshit).

Psxphile

And Konami holds the publishing rights for Napishtim, so the balls in their court (however, the PSP version of Napishtim is grade A 100% dogshit).

That's just for the PS2 and PSP version, though... right? PC version should be in the clear for Xseed.

Sitrus

That's just for the PS2 and PSP version, though... right? PC version should be in the clear for Xseed.

Though they will probably have to redo the game so fix all the bugs and translate everything again since the current translation probably is Konami's.

Psxphile

Though they will probably have to redo the game so fix all the bugs and translate everything again since the current translation probably is Konami's.

PC version has an unofficial fan translation. And as we saw with Felghana, Chronicles and Origins, Xseed is not opposed to optioning a fan translator's work. As a matter of fact, Deuce (who's responsible for those translations) has admitted in an interview to have 95% of Napishtim already translated before he backed off the project.

I've heard about the Ys games, and the fact that they're on Steam (I think?) makes them very appealing to me. I know absolutely nothing about these games though. What other RPG franchise is this similar to? Just looking for something to reference.

Eusis

Origins is possible, it got a re-release on Steam (worth it too, btw), however, XSEED won't do anything for the Vita unless FALCOM does it first.

As for Kefin, don't expect anything until a remake is done. However, an English translation patch was just (finally) released).

Yeah, basically Falcom needs to do a Vita port themselves (screw doing PSP over again at this point, get some 60 FPS native resolution goodness if possible) as otherwise the best option is Konami working with Falcom to get it on PSN. And contrasting it with Oath in Felghana shows just how much better it is when Falcom does it themselves.

Still, as noted there's PC, and hopefully XSEED can do something there in the near future. After Trails in the Sky (FC) anyway.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard about the Ys games, and the fact that they're on Steam (I think?) makes them very appealing to me. I know absolutely nothing about these games though. What other RPG franchise is this similar to? Just looking for something to reference.

It depends on the game, since the Ys games aren't always all that similar to themselves. The most consistent element of the series is probably the awesome music.

I can't think of any popular RPGs that are quite like Ys. Most of the games are more action and less RPG, but Seven and Celceta balance it out a bit more.

Ys Origin has a demo you can try, and Oath in Felghana plays similarly to Yunica's playstyle in Origin. Felghana has a field/overworld between dungeons with sidequests, while Origin is more dungeon crawler-like and is just dungeon after dungeon with story elements throughout.

Chronicles is entirely different, using the bump system where you run into enemies to deal damage. Hitting from the front causes you to take damage so you have to run into them at angles or from the side. They're pretty fast paced and fun, but not modern enough for some.

Seven and Celceta aren't on PC in any relevant form (or at all in Celceta's case). But they add party members, more special attacks, and more items/equipment and crafting. They're also longer and more story heavy.

There are other games, notably Ark of Napishtim which runs on the same engine as Oath and Origin, but the PC version isn't in English (yet? XSEED will probably do it eventually). Konami ported the game to PS2 and PSP, but couldn't help but make some unnecessary changes in the otherwise decent PS2 version and the PSP port is bad from a technical standpoint (framerate problems and long loading times), but can be salvaged with CFW (CPU speed up and run it from the memory stick). The PSP version is also not on PSN.

Picked this up digitally Friday night. As a complete aside, I'm surprised that I've subconsciously been veering myself towards buying digitally whenever possible, especially when it's cheaper. This wasn't really the case here, but it did count towards the $60 for this weekend and I really wanted to support XSEED with all my moniez, so there's that.

Anyway, I played up until the first boss fight. I'm playing on hard, never having played an Ys game before. Man, that thing was tough for me. I don't know about you guys, but I was doing crap damage and having to constantly dodge. Needless to say, this game really shined for me at that moment; after dying a few times, I started prioritizing doing really overt dodges over dealing damage.

Also, thanks to you guys, I made it a point to wear headphones, even though I was just taking the game for a spin. The music is A+ work, I especially love the title screen music and the boss fight music.

This game is goddamn awesome, no regrets.

kayos90

kayos you play Tales games

This is very true but unlike Tales games the game's story is particularly boring. Like... really boring.

EDIT: Also, dagger girl OP. I can attack and move? Wat.

EDIT2: Just got to Primeval Lands. Loved some of the interior designs. Reminded me of Golden Sun a bit. This game is definitely a nostalgia play for me but I don't find it particularly special. The weird glow/visuals, lackluster narrative, and okay OST is sort of hard to ignore. The game has pretty great combat though. I also love the character design, save Ozma cuz he looks like crap.

Top Bottom