• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

best girl

Adol x Feena OTP

Man, it's hard to choose.

Lilia is endearing. Out of all the girls, it sincerely feels like she's the one who is still waiting earnestly for Adol, even as Adol keeps choosing his favourite waifu "Adventure."

Adol & Feena definitely has that OTP feel to it, despite their limited interaction. ( good ol' pre-Ys 7 Falcom storytelling ) Then again, part of the appeal is the whole 'star-crossed lovers' feel to it.

If only Alternative Saga Elena is canon, then it wouldn't had been so hard...

I'm not sure if this was just a vita crash or a game crash.

While fighting in the ancient burrow for the first battle after entering I used an " L" button move. This caused the sound to stop, the buttons became unresponsive and the vita would not go to sleep . I eventually had to enter the recovery menu to restart my Vita.

Is this a one off vita crash or a known issue at that point?

My Vita has once or twice failed to respond to a few buttons after coming from sleep mode. Like, all the buttons to the left wouldn't work for several seconds.Happened with both Vita and PS1 games.

My Vita has once or twice failed to respond to a few buttons after coming from sleep mode. Like, all the buttons to the left wouldn't work for several seconds.Happened with both Vita and PS1 games.

This one was a little different, I had been playing for about 15 minutes and had just started a cutscenes battle. Literally as soon Adol's "L" button move finished, I lost control of my characters and could not do anything else, even after the poison killed the last enemy it still did not do anything.

The only solution was the vita recovery menu

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This game looks really nice. Question: Can I play it on the big screen tv if I buy one of those new VITA TV gimmicks?

I thought everybody knew at this point that Adol only has eyes for Dogi!

-Tom

Seriously did they READ the intro to OiF? Dear lord. Of course, with some of the dialogue choices available in this game, I think Adol is actually more an omnisexual douchebag, and I think I like him that way.

I also want to state that this game was robbed of GoTY by Gamespot, Zelda won, and this game is better than it in just about every possible way. Not that I dislike Zelda, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but after all the talk about how it had the fastest combat ever, and how it was just speedy and amazing I realized that not enough people played Ys to see what REAL action-adventure combat is like.

Finally beat the game. A bunch of cute girls only to not choose any one of them.

You call yourself a man, Adol!?

Adol is constantly doing this. Every girl he meets is totally wet for him and he might as well just give them a crotch kick the way he ignores them. But that's what makes him hilariously badass.

Finished the game and I want to tackle the rest of my backlog, but this game is too goooood. I'm going in for another playthrough. =(

-NeoTB1-

I just started playing this today. This is my first Ys game. So far I LOVE it. Controls are good and combat is swift and satisfying.

Would you guys recommend this to someone who has only played an Ys game sparingly, can't even remember which one it was. I love JRPG's though, but I hear Ys does things a bit differently.

So what's the consensus on the difficulty on this? Is normal too easy overall or should I choose a higher one to get the most out of it? I am only up to the part where you have to explore the flooded ruins upstream with the new party member with a spear. So far it hasn't been too challenging, but I am not too far in anyway so restarting wouldn't be an issue.

Aeana was right about it being different than either of the other Ys IVs. Like, why even use it as a base if it is going to be such a big departure. I think I prefer some of the Dawn of Ys music arrangements too. Having a lot of fun though and the story has me really interested in discovering what's going on. The amnesia thing has been done many times before, but here it seems done rather well. Quite personal.

So what's the consensus on the difficulty on this?
Normal is very easy if you have any capability with these sorts of games. I kept around 10 bitter potions on hand and never got below five in the worst fight. Didn't die once in maybe 22hrs of play.

Still fun though, it becomes about the meta-game/aesthetic of maximum damage over shortest time via combos, etc.

Normal is very easy if you have any capability with these sorts of games. I kept around 10 bitter potions on hand and never got below five in the worst fight. Didn't die once in maybe 22hrs of play.

Still fun though, it becomes about the meta-game/aesthetic of maximum damage over shortest time via combos, etc.

Thanks, looks like I'm gonna restart before I get any more invested. I love a good challenge and higher difficulty on Oath in Felghana and others was very satisfying.

Dio

Banned
Thanks, looks like I'm gonna restart before I get any more invested. I love a good challenge and higher difficulty on Oath in Felghana and others was very satisfying.
Yeah, I played through it on Nightmare and was thoroughly entertained. Sometimes it was a bit easy but still.

pa22word

thid game is easier on nightmare than OiF was on normal fyi

stilllove ity though p[rob my goty 2013 @_@

ban25

I also want to state that this game was robbed of GoTY by Gamespot, Zelda won, and this game is better than it in just about every possible way. Not that I dislike Zelda, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but after all the talk about how it had the fastest combat ever, and how it was just speedy and amazing I realized that not enough people played Ys to see what REAL action-adventure combat is like.

Damn right! I have both and this is GOTY hands down. Currently on my nightmare playthrough with 70% trophy completion and going for the platinum.

I just picked this up today.

Anything I should keep in mind as I'm playing?

I see that apparently nightmare is the way to go. I just got out of the
mine
in the beginning so I don't have any issues with starting over.

I'm mostly concerned about obscure things that are easy to miss that I won't realize till I'm near the end of the game.

friz898

Ok, map is at 90.6%

Can you tell me about how many hours I have left?

I'm at: I have done:

Right Mask of Moon, Just beat Tamer a second time. Done all sidequests except for Super Weapon one up to now. I'm thinking, Left mask dungeon, then final dungeon. I'm thinking one final "session" of about 2-4 hours is left.

Thanks, I want to plan accordingly for my next purchase. Since I don't get much gaming time, I have to plan my Christmas Military Vacation (block leave) just right, and still balance the kid and wife.

Tohsaka

I just picked this up today.

Anything I should keep in mind as I'm playing?

I see that apparently nightmare is the way to go. I just got out of the
mine
in the beginning so I don't have any issues with starting over.

I'm mostly concerned about obscure things that are easy to miss that I won't realize till I'm near the end of the game.

If you care about getting the platinum trophy, there are several trophies that are easily missable, so I'd recommend checking out the trophy guide. Don't worry about starting on Nightmare, since two playthroughs are required if you want every item anyway.

I live in Brazil.. Does anyone know the cheapest way to get the Silver Anniversary Edition? Play-asia is selling them for 70, and it's been 2 months and my MGR copy hasn't arrived... At least shipping is free.

I'm playing Ys 7 right now and am completely addicted to the series already.

If you care about getting the platinum trophy, there are several trophies that are easily missable, so I'd recommend checking out the trophy guide. Don't worry about starting on Nightmare, since two playthroughs are required if you want every item anyway.

Trophies aren't something that I'm really concerned with. I was thinking more along the lines of sidequests and things like that.

I enjoy challenge so if playing on normal is generally considered to be an easy experience then I think it might be better for me to switch to Nightmare if that provides a challenge that the series is traditionally known for ( I haven't played any of the previous games).

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Random question about Y's in general....do any of the games' battle systems allow you to execute combos? Does this one have it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got to start. Back in town after the first boss now. Might have to tinker with the controls, the default settings feel a bit wonky to me. Might swap character switch and dodge and see how that works.

I don't understand the purpose of the AI option. Evasive seems to do nothing but run away from enemies and dodge? Using that I basically solo'd the first dungeon, but the weapon triangle thing that made its return from Seven (and sort of Napishtim) is blaaah.

And while I'm complaining, Flash Move is annoying, I don't want to use it but did it like four times against the first boss.

But yeah, it feels like a modified Ys Seven so far. Not my ideal Ys, but it should be a fun romp nonetheless.

So a few hours in and I'm surprised at how many different paths there are.

I'm always worried about accidentally triggering the next story scene and possibly missing out on some unexplored areas that I was planning on getting to but so far I haven't been cut off from any areas yet so it hasn't been too much of a problem.

I've taken to saving before entering an area that might trigger a story scene just so I can go back if it puts you somewhere where you can't backtrack.

Overall I'm liking the gameplay a lot. I'm getting the hang of the Flash Guard/Move which have proven to be useful for defeating larger enemies faster. Switching between characters feels pretty fluid and they provide decent support when you're not currently controlling them.

I also appreciate that when your AI members use skills, it counts towards the amount needed to level up that skill.

Mr.Jeff

69:45 hours on the clock and my Nightmare run with no healing items/enhancements or party member deaths during boss fights has finished.

Bit of a mixed bag of a game really. The fast combat's still there but I really don't like the increased reliance on Flash Dodging/Guarding. Too many boss attacks seemed reliant on using them as opposed to moving out the way.

Despite the neat idea of regaining memories, the plot's pretty short and boring. There's very little sense of threat and character motivations can be paper thin at times. The less said about the ending the better.

Exploring is a lot of fun though despite the glitchy map and it really does feel like a vast expansive land.

Music was a bit up and down too.

Overall: a good game but a bit lacking in places. I hope they improve the combat system for the next one and perhaps cut down on the party members.

Edit: Also, while new weaponry provides a significant boost, it never felt like gaining a few extra levels ever offered any tangible reward?

friz898

I just finished the game at 29 hours. I'm not the kind of guy to platinum games, but it's a great game.

I enjoyed it. First game I've beaten since Fire Emblem in March or whenever it came out. Games don't really hold me anymore, but this one did! Ys showed me that I'm just as into (good) games as I was when Ys SEVEN was out on my PSP.

I'm done here folks. Been a pleasure in the OT.

XSEED folk, thank you very much for bringing it over. I've been depressed at the amount of 3DS and Vita RPGS not to come over lately. Dont even get me started on Type-0 from PSP.

Adol is constantly doing this. Every girl he meets is totally wet for him and he might as well just give them a crotch kick the way he ignores them. But that's what makes him hilariously badass.

Finished the game and I want to tackle the rest of my backlog, but this game is too goooood. I'm going in for another playthrough. =(

him and ryo from shenmue. they just dont give a shit.

Tain

Is Napishtim (PC) similar, difficulty-wise, to Oath? I loved Oath on Hard mode, but I kinda wish I played Origin on Nightmare instead because Origin Hard seemed a bit easier than Oath Hard.

Maybe I'll just jump into Nightmare for VI, but am I right in guessing that the difficulties in VI line up with those in Oath?

I apologize for getting a little off-topic but I figured it wasn't worth a new thread.

Solune

Random question about Y's in general....do any of the games' battle systems allow you to execute combos? Does this one have it?

I hate to be that guy but it's just Ys, there is no " ' " in between the Y and the s.

To answer your question yes, this game features "combos" although they are more like aerial juggles but you cancel attacks into special moves and you can mix and match skills.

jb1234

Is Napishtim (PC) similar, difficulty-wise, to Oath? I loved Oath on Hard mode, but I kinda wish I played Origin on Nightmare instead because Origin Hard seemed a bit easier than Oath Hard.

Maybe I'll just jump into Nightmare for VI, but am I right in guessing that the difficulties in VI line up with those in Oath?

I apologize for getting a little off-topic but I figured it wasn't worth a new thread.

No, Naptishtim is a lot easier than Oath. Try a higher difficulty if you want a challenge because the default isn't one (for the most part).

Top Bottom