• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is Napishtim (PC) similar, difficulty-wise, to Oath? I loved Oath on Hard mode, but I kinda wish I played Origin on Nightmare instead because Origin Hard seemed a bit easier than Oath Hard.

Maybe I'll just jump into Nightmare for VI, but am I right in guessing that the difficulties in VI line up with those in Oath?

I apologize for getting a little off-topic but I figured it wasn't worth a new thread.

Ys community thread would have been a good place for this, if it existed... maybe somebody should get on that.

I'm not sure it's as hard as Oath, maybe a tad more difficult than Origin though? Despite the similarities it's a bit different, for example the healing items. I've only played it once and it wasn't a good playthrough to judge the difficulty since I somehow managed to skip two(!) armor upgrades which made things way more difficult than intended for a while.

Tain

ack, it looks like there's no difficulty selection. But on YouTube there seem to be Nightmare mode videos. Does that mean I have to beat it first (or worse, beat it twice)?

gotta hunt for a save or something

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
ack, it looks like there's no difficulty selection. But on YouTube there seem to be Nightmare mode videos. Does that mean I have to beat it first (or worse, beat it twice)?

gotta hunt for a save or something

Can't imagine how you missed the option, it's right when you start...

And I have to say, playing this game in nightmare is some of the most satisfying gaming I've done all year. Really loving it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
That boss in the
tower, the first part of the Guardian of the Storms (or whatever it was called)
was brutal, at least on Nightmare. So many different things to watch out for at the same time and I was always dead with two hits. I've defeated him now, but it took me quite a few tries and I have to admit and had to use several potions.
But I leveled up quite a bit after the fight, so maybe I was just underleveled at that point.

vall03

Would like to ask, you can still get the Nightmare trophy by reloading a save right? I saved twice actually, and turned one file to easy.

For some reason, I was really afraid of Nightmare, but the first boss wasn't really a big threat. I'm afraid of that one boss in the tower though.

ajim

Should I finish persona 4 golden before starting this? I really want to open it and start, but don't want to get too distracted from p4g - as I have for months now with other games!

ajim

Should I finish persona 4 golden before starting this? I really want to open it and start, but don't want to get too distracted from p4g - as I have for months now with other games!

Just wondering if anyone knows, is there any differences between Ys I and II Chronicles+ on steam and on PSN?

The Steam version is higher resolution and higher framerate. IIRC the PSP version is also zoomed in so you see less on screen. The content is not meaningfully different though.

nikos

Decided to pick this up the other day after reading this thread and getting some impressions online. I had never played a Ys game before this, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.

Well, I played today and ended up logging eight hours on it. Pretty sure it's the longest I've consecutively played the Vita for. The game is really great. I never felt lost and the tutorials do a good job of explaining game's mechanics. It's pretty much pick up and play. The combat is very enjoyable and the story is pretty engaging so far.

If this game interests you in the slightest, and/or you're on the fence about picking it up, just do it. You don't need any prior Ys experience to enjoy it. I jokingly told myself to finish it by Christmas, thinking I might log a few hours by then, but if I turn it on tomorrow I might actually get close because it's hard to put down.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Just started the game, and I'm loving it.... But holy hell is that frame rate bad. This is the ugliest game I've seen in years.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Fought the third or fourth boss...
the giant bee thing
. Was it just me, or did that fight take forever? I'm playing on hard, so maybe that has something to do with it. But I'm not a huge fan of unnecessarily long boss fights. might drop down to normal if it continues like that, even though I think hard is pretty much the ideal challenge level.

Just a quick impression from me since my wife bought me a Vita for this game.

It's very similar to Ys Seven, the good parts (battles) are fantastic (and even better here), but the bad parts (towns, story) are awful (and even worse here).

I actually got douche chills when Adol says "Was I a swordsman?" Yeeeuuuuuuuch.

I will need to find a good second Vita game to follow this up with, it's sort of strange having this great new system and having such a blurry, ugly game as my first impression. Outside of being lower resolution, I'm almost convinced that Ys Seven looked better, if just for the brightness/crispness versus this drab and blurry mess.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finished the game today. I feel a bit disappointed. It's a good game, it really is, but that's not the expectation I have from an Ys game.

First the good things: I really like all the characters, the art (even for the random NPCs) and the writing. Choosing mean remarks often leads to some funny commentary, I greatly enjoyed doing that in almost every possible situation, which is why it's great that choosing them doesn't affect the game in any way, it's just a little bit of fun on the side. I even enjoyed the main story, I thought the parts about
Eldeel carefully selecting who to bestow inventions on
was interesting and the ending was kinda funny in how
it heavily reminded me of a certain book
. Amnesia is never a good plot point, though, stop using that, Japan! I also didn't play any of the Ys 4 games, so I don't now and don't care how close the story is to those.

I was a bit disappointed with the music, it's still good, but it's just not as good as in earlier games. Combat is good, adding the Flash Dodge was a good idea, since I usually like to dodge more than to guard, but it's also a bit overpowered, maybe if they reduce the slowdown time, it would be better. I also didn't quite like the weapon and armor upgrading system. Mostly because you have no way to get back the resources you put into weapons, they don't even sell for more if you tempered with them. And as you get new weapons quite frequently, it's rarely really worth it to invest. It gets you some neat bonuses, though. Healing armor is quite useful for your idiotic party members who tend to get hit by everything within a hundred mile radius. That way, they can at least participate in battle again after a few seconds.

As for the stuff I really didn't like: My main gripe is the inventory. In earlier games the amount you can hold of one item was pretty limited (and even significantly reduced when playing on higher difficulties, at least in Seven). Celceta doesn't seem to have this kind of restrictions, you can easily buy 50 units of one healing item and spam them in boss fights, even on Nightmare difficulty, and it feels like some boss fights were designed with this in mind. It makes boss fights more boring, which is a shame, because those are usually the highlight of Ys games.
And the status effects. They really went overboard with those in this game, at least I don't remember them to occur so often in earlier games and there are some additional ones. Misfortune is probably the most annoying and stupidest one I've ever seen in an RPG.

Still, I enjoyed the game, it's probably even going to be on my GOTY list (certainly not near the top, though, where I'd usually expect Ys games to be), but I'd consider this one of the weaker entries in the series.

One question: How can I get my reward for
100% map completion? It seems you get your final few tenth of a % in the volcano area, but when you're there, you can get warp anymore. Does map completion carry over to New Game+?

Tohsaka

Finished the game today. I feel a bit disappointed. It's a good game, it really is, but that's not the expectation I have from an Ys game.

First the good things: I really like all the characters, the art (even for the random NPCs) and the writing. Choosing mean remarks often leads to some funny commentary, I greatly enjoyed doing that in almost every possible situation, which is why it's great that choosing them doesn't affect the game in any way, it's just a little bit of fun on the side. I even enjoyed the main story, I thought the parts about
. Amnesia is never a good plot point, though, stop using that, Japan! I also didn't play any of the Ys 4 games, so I don't now and don't care how close the story is to those.

I was a bit disappointed with the music, it's still good, but it's just not as good as in earlier games. Combat is good, adding the Flash Dodge was a good idea, since I usually like to dodge more than to guard, but it's also a bit overpowered, maybe if they reduce the slowdown time, it would be better. I also didn't quite like the weapon and armor upgrading system. Mostly because you have no way to get back the resources you put into weapons, they don't even sell for more if you tempered with them. And as you get new weapons quite frequently, it's rarely really worth it to invest. It gets you some neat bonuses, though. Healing armor is quite useful for your idiotic party members who tend to get hit by everything within a hundred mile radius. That way, they can at least participate in battle again after a few seconds.

As for the stuff I really didn't like: My main gripe is the inventory. In earlier games the amount you can hold of one item was pretty limited (and even significantly reduced when playing on higher difficulties, at least in Seven). Celceta doesn't seem to have this kind of restrictions, you can easily buy 50 units of one healing item and spam them in boss fights, even on Nightmare difficulty, and it feels like some boss fights were designed with this in mind. It makes boss fights more boring, which is a shame, because those are usually the highlight of Ys games.
And the status effects. They really went overboard with those in this game, at least I don't remember them to occur so often in earlier games and there are some additional ones. Misfortune is probably the most annoying and stupidest one I've ever seen in an RPG.

Still, I enjoyed the game, it's probably even going to be on my GOTY list (certainly not near the top, though, where I'd usually expect Ys games to be), but I'd consider this one of the weaker entries in the series.

100% map completion? It seems you get your final few tenth of a % in the volcano area, but when you're there, you can get warp anymore. Does map completion carry over to New Game+?

It does carry over, but you can get 100% before then.

Tohsaka

You're missing parts of the map somewhere. There's actually a bit more than 100% you can get, the game won't recognize more than that however. You can have 100% by the time you enter the final dungeon you're capable of leaving.

This game is just not pulling me in like Oath and Origin did. I'm only like an hour or so in but already starting to get bored. Why would they get rid of jump button? Why do I already regret buying this full price?

pa22word

Did anyone else get massive old school Ys blue balls when they played the final boss? Man, if they'd switched to an overhead perspective I'd have been in heaven :D

This game is just not pulling me in like Oath and Origin did. I'm only like an hour or so in but already starting to get bored. Why would they get rid of jump button? Why do I already regret buying this full price?
It's based on Ys 7 so it was no surprise. Different gameplay compared to Oath and Origin.

demonkaze

To be honest, finding the same thing myself which is strange because I really enjoyed Seven too and I don't mind more focus on storytelling in games but for some reason I keep putting off playing this (Up to exploring the forest for the first time).

teiresias

So far I like this Ys better than 7, but I do prefer Oath and Origin-style gameplay more than than 7 and Memories style gameplay. Honestly, the crafting and stuff is too complicated and laborous for me to give a crap about so I've basically been ignoring it - so hopefully that doesn't come back to haunt me when I get even later in the game (though I'm no playing on an elevated difficulty anyway).

I played through VI PC, Oath, and Origin a few weeks ago and enjoyed them a lot more than what I have played of Celceta. They just felt like tighter games. Not altogether sure I like the direction that Seven and Celceta have taken. Not to say I don't like the game, but it has changed things up a bit much for my liking. I also find the bosses to be less interesting because of how you can stock up on healing items.

DC1

Study the map and hug the edges where there is light discoloration.
It's important to get it before your new game plus as you get a bonus artifact
Ares Seal
that increases your SP dramatically. You can redeem it from Griselda (General) in Casnan after your first side mission post map commission.

Also please be sure to get at least three Sun Stone Super weapons and accompanying armor upgraded to 72+ with 9's across the board. It makes the nightmare run a breeze and saves you a lot of money in the long run. Don't defeat the final boss without doing this.... that is, if you're going for the platinum. Oh! and have fun grinding!

It's based on Ys 7 so it was no surprise. Different gameplay compared to Oath and Origin.

Yep, I knew that before going in but I just hadn't ever played 7 so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm gonna keep at it hoping it clicks but as of right now it's a disappointment.

Also the graphics look like some hideous muddy PSP/3DS tier shit. I'm positive its sub-native res so why the hell couldn't they get 60fps? I know Asian devs are behind on the tech said of things but come on. Oath/Origin on Steam have spoiled me.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Also please be sure to get at least three Sun Stone Super weapons and accompanying armor upgraded to 72+ with 9's across the board. It makes the nightmare run a breeze and saves you a lot of money in the long run. Don't defeat the final boss without doing this.... that is, if you're going for the platinum. Oh! and have fun grinding!

Huh? I guess I should have been more clear in my comment that I finished the game on Nightmare already. I found two or three Sun Stones, but I didn't find where to use them. But I'm not going for the platinum, the list didn't seem to be any fun.

Damn it, 100%ing these treasure chests is a pain. I'm trying to get all the chests available before Iris and I think I'm missing a couple. I have no idea where they are though, so I'm trying to find them with absolutely no luck. This 81.6% will probably be haunting me for a while. =(

kiriin

Also the graphics look like some hideous muddy PSP/3DS tier shit. I'm positive its sub-native res so why the hell couldn't they get 60fps? I know Asian devs are behind on the tech said of things but come on. Oath/Origin on Steam have spoiled me.

You're comparing a 3d rendered perspective game based on relatively old hardware to 2d/sprite model on pc.

Even with the lowres texture quality and the internal rendering of a lower resolution, the vita has obvious hardware limitation. It become especially when youre fighting 4+ monster on the screen; throw in the particle effects and you'll have a lovely sub 30fps drop.

jdkluv

It starts getting good once you arrive to the Underground Ruins.

Top Bottom