• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

DC1

Huh? I guess I should have been more clear in my comment that I finished the game on Nightmare already. I found two or three Sun Stones, but I didn't find where to use them. But I'm not going for the platinum, the list didn't seem to be any fun.
o_O
Sorry.
With respect to the Sun Stones: you redeem them in Oz's town on the river at the blacksmiths shop. I believe the town is called Serey.
You need to crafT an ultra weapon for all 6 characters for the plat.

Sorry for any typos as I'm in my car.

DC1

so i just started playing the game. Is it worth upgrading weapons as you go or at the end?

Play on easy and try to go as far as you can without upgrading. You will get more powerful/buy more powerful weapons along the way.

Get as much money as you can for the 1 million dollar trophy.
And then use your resources to upgrade the ultimate weapons created through the sun stones.

Play on easy and try to go as far as you can without upgrading. You will get more powerful/buy more powerful weapons along the way.

Get as much money as you can for the 1 million dollar trophy.
And then use your resources to upgrade the ultimate weapons created through the sun stones.

hmm. I'm no normal and it doesn't seem that bad. I did cheese that big ape thing in the forest rofl. Free levels with zero risk, can't complain

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dug in a bit more, got to the Ancient Burrows. Playing on normal and haven't used flash guard or any consumables yet, intend to keep it that way. Can't say the same for flash move, but that one is kind of unavoidable.

Apart from my general complaints of "too much Ys Seven, not enough Origin/Felghana" my only real complaint so far is that I don't really like how the warp points are set up. Makes getting back to town a pain, so I never even bothered even though equipment upgrades would have been nice.

I am having a lot of fun with this, but I really detest the direction the series is going. At least once you slog through the crummy town and cut-scene sequences, they do give you a pretty good amount of time to explore and battle freely, dungeons seem decently sized as well.

Still tho, dat Kiseki influence. :-\

So this game is a must if you like jrpgs right?
No. But it's a must if you like Action RPGs.

Is the story at least decent?
No.

So this game is a must if you like jrpgs right? Is the story at least decent?

I am finding the story to be alright from what I have played. Even though people say amnesia is a cliche, I am not used to seeing the main character as the one afflicted with it. I am finding that the story and memories being revealed are done in a quality manner. Lots of awkward moments where people around you seem to know more than you do (even about yourself).

Yuterald

I think I'm right before the final dungeon now. I've got around 30 hours logged on Nightmare while trying to clear all quests and exploring everything as thoroughly as possible before I move on. I'm a bit disappointed with the second half of the game. The three "dungeons" in the second half were a bit of a let down. All three were a bit short and hardly contained any new ideas. The biggest disappointment is the fact that all three dungeons shared the same track! Nothing's worse than arriving at a new dungeon only to be greeted with a track that you've heard three times already. So unexciting. =/

Kaji

So I've got a question with the gossip mania trophy, first piece you get from Mouse states that you need to get it when

"1. After you clear the mines, and before setting out to leave Casnan."

Now I talked to some other info broker in the inn without realizing that it wasn't Mouse and left town and did a few things in the field without visiting the next town yet. Went back to town and found Mouse and spoke to him and bought the rumor about somebody liking cats and what not.

Is that the first piece of info? and therefore will I be ok getting the trophy in this play though?

Cheers

I think I'm right before the final dungeon now. I've got around 30 hours logged on Nightmare while trying to clear all quests and exploring everything as thoroughly as possible before I move on. I'm a bit disappointed with the second half of the game. The three "dungeons" in the second half were a bit of a let down. All three were a bit short and hardly contained any new ideas. The biggest disappointment is the fact that all three dungeons shared the same track! Nothing's worse than arriving at a new dungeon only to be greeted with a track that you've heard three times already. So unexciting. =/
So I'm on Hard and it's basically Baby Mode.

I'm guessing that Nightmare isn't too much better?

Also, that's disappointing to hear regarding the second half, a lot of this game feels surprisingly half-cooked.

Yuterald

So I'm on Hard and it's basically Baby Mode.

I'm guessing that Nightmare isn't too much better?

Also, that's disappointing to hear regarding the second half, a lot of this game feels surprisingly half-cooked.

Some of the bosses are pretty challenging on Nightmare, but the fact that they don't limit/stop you from spamming items on higher difficulties sort of trivializes the whole thing. I'm not one to make things harder for myself by not using items during a fight if I need to either. If the developers/programmers didn't go out of their way to place proper restrictions on Nightmare difficulty (which they've done in the past, most recently with Ys 7, right?) then it's all fair game in my book. That's not to say that I found myself spamming healing items to get through Nightmare though. There were just a few bosses towards the middle/end where I used a revive/healing item or two because I didn't feel retying the fight.

Yeah, the second half wasn't handled nearly as well as it was in Ys 7. Like a lot of Ys games, some significant things happen during the middle of the game and there's no new town/field tracks to accompany those changes. I LOVED how in Ys 6, for example, one town gets occupied by the empire/military (?) and the town's music/vibe completely changes (I believe a similar thing happens at the end of Oath too). Ys 7 treats you to a new field track too when "shit hits the fan", so to say. The "extended" dungeons you return to in Ys 7 all had great, unique tracks too. I know this has been covered to death in this thread already, but why the fuck did they reuse the same track (when they apparently had a lot of other, unused tracks they could have used) for three COMPLETELY different dungeons! So weird.

RangerBAD

Platinum-trophy.png

Done and done. Thank you for all the help, everyone.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Is not bad, dude. Cliche driven but at least doesn't feel as kitsch as other JRPG. At least you don't end hating someone of your party.

The story is pretty terrible. I'm about 20 hours in and I see the story as getting in the way of the real fun of the game, the combat. Still really enjoying the game, but the story is a zzzz fest.

Ohnonono

So I first went out into the forest to start exploring and ended up at the tent sequence were you remember a memory. After proceeding from there the monsters seemed impossible. Do I need to go back and make sure to finish the quests and upgrade gear from the first area? Does the whole game let you wander into areas that are super hard to deal with?

What's wrong with that?
I'll echo what jdkluv said: Everything.

Anyway, on the topic of Adol talking or not, that was not really cemented as "a thing" until modern Ys, starting with Ys I & II Eternal. Of course that's now out of the window with Celceta, he's talking up a storm in the awful flashback scenes and, let's face it, Duren is simply Adol's mouthpiece in all other cut-scenes. His dialogue is so hamfisted, they really should have just Adol talk if felt that they needed to force so much "story" into the game. Putting all of Adol's words into Duren is just awful writing.

Also, "This is a special door that does not unlock from the inside."

Falcom should be embarrassed.

I'll echo what jdkluv said: Everything.

Anyway, on the topic of Adol talking or not, that was not really cemented as "a thing" until modern Ys, starting with Ys I & II Eternal. Of course that's now out of the window with Celceta, he's talking up a storm in the awful flashback scenes and, let's face it, Duren is simply Adol's mouthpiece in all other cut-scenes. His dialogue is so hamfisted, they really should have just Adol talk if felt that they needed to force so much "story" into the game. Putting all of Adol's words into Duren is just awful writing.

Also, "This is a special door that does not unlock from the inside."

Falcom should be embarrassed.

Eh, Adol has talked in Ys 2, 3, and Mask. In this one, his dialogue is left in the hands of the player. He just doesn't talk much, and when he does I play him as kind of a perverted smartass. As for the overall story, better than Dawn, worse than Mask. Not one of Falcom's best in that regard. Still, I never thought it was horrible, just kinda meh, especially towards the end. The complete lack of and ending was shit though, man that was bad.

Also, anyone who doesn't have Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles needs to grab it on Steam right now, it actually won the community vote and is only $3.74, and that game is well worth it at full price.

Zafir

Exp: no. For the rest, I guess you mean, when the one who has them equipped is not in your party? I'm not sure, but I don't think so.
Well, I mean do you have to be controlling the person with the gold boost/item drop boost to get the boost? I just asked because I wanted to know whether it was pointless me giving a gold boost to one of my party members and a drop booster to another.

AniHawk

so i made this my first ys game and this is basically ys iv. not a remake of ys iv, but a brand new, now-official ys iv, right? ...so there are three ys ivs, but only this one is the one that makes it into the official series and falcom waited 20 years to do it.

Psxphile

That's pretty much the large of it, yes. The previous versions were farmed out for whatever reasons. Tonkin House did the Super Famicom version and Hudson Soft the PC-CD version, working off of Falcom's design docs for the game. While they (and MoC) share similar deets with each other they tend to go about it in different ways.

The Super Fami version played it pretty straight but was a poor facsimile of the Ys gameplay style; while Hudson Soft, being their usual fabulous selves and having experience porting the previous Ys games, put out a fantastic port making excellent use of the CD-ROM tech and with a bit of fanservice for good measure: including an actual, all-encompassing ending to Adol's journey instead of leaving things open and ambiguous being chief among them. It's no wonder Falcom considered Mask of the Sun over Dawn of Ys as the canon entry up until they finally got around to making their own.

But Dawn was the better game of the two, bar none.

JEKKI

nooooooo how do I get this treasure?!?!

IdylvKb.jpg

in the spore forest...

it shows on my map but I cant actually find it! -_-

kiriin

nooooooo how do I get this treasure?!?!

IdylvKb.jpg

in the spore forest...

it shows on my map but I cant actually find it! -_-

Bit late and you might have gotten already but warp to the marker to the right of your screenshot then just head north follow that path from there and it be directly out in the open.

JEKKI

Bit late and you might have gotten already but warp to the marker to the right of your screenshot then just head north follow that path from there and it be directly out in the open.
yes it's a bit late!

no I havent gotten it already,

and yes I got it now thank u!!

unfortunately my map % did not go up lol... still at 98.9%

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
finished this a few hours ago. Great game, loved it as much as Ys VII, 1+2 and Oath on PSP (started the series on PSP)
Art was nice, loved all the characters, boss design was great, music was fantastic and I enjoyed the story. 9/10

the only thing I didn't like about the game was the horrifyingly awful music track that plays in the first town Canan (spelling?). Just an awful track and of course it play in the biggest most confusingly layed out town :/

jdkluv

the only thing I didn't like about the game was the horrifyingly awful music track that plays in the first town Canan (spelling?). Just an awful track and of course it play in the biggest most confusingly layed out town :/

"Casnan, The Frontier Town". The original was just awesome.

I thought 'I Want To Be Kind' was much, much worse. Weakest town theme in both Ys IVs, Celceta and pretty much Ys history IMO. Doesn't help that it is actually a plagiarism of Ultraman Leo.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
"Casnan, The Frontier Town". The original was just awesome.

I thought 'I Want To Be Kind' was much, much worse. Weakest town theme in both Ys IVs, Celceta and pretty much Ys history IMO. Doesn't help that it is actually a plagiarism of Ultraman Leo.

"I want to be kind" is ok, not great, but I think I like because it reminds me of a track from FFVII

The original version that you posted of "Casnan the Frontier Town" is SOOOOO much better than what was in the Vita version

jdkluv

"I want to be kind" is ok, not great, but I think I like because it reminds me of a track from FFVII

The original version that you posted of "Casnan the Frontier Town" is SOOOOO much better than what was in the Vita version

"I Want To Be Kind" is not bad per se, but it's extremely underwhelming compared to ANY other town theme in the Ys IV's soundtrack, which has MUCH better town themes like "Beyond Reminiscence" or "Leeza". Still baffles me why they decided to bring over that one instead of these two.

Celceta's soundtrack is overall good, with some awesome new tracks ("Underground Ruins" is my jam), but there are also a lot of hit and miss songs and almost all the arranged Ys IV's songs are disappointing, although some arrangements are actually quite good. "Burning Sword" is a great overworld arrange and so far my favorite version of it, "Harlequin's Temptation" is another one of my favorites (it may be missing the choirs from the PC Engine CD version, but dat slap bass and glorious melody still hits it) and "In the Fires of Ignition" is freaking metal in Celceta.

Ys IV's soundtrack is one of my favorites in the series, so I'm disappointed for that precise reason though, as it just shows the potential Falcom did not tap by leaving out a lot of other tracks. It's just very disappointing if you were expecting anything in the quality of The Dawn of Ys or both J.D.K. Specials ("prototypes"/original compositions done with PC-98 FM synth, Genesis-like quality) though.

Top Bottom