• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist |OT|Yes, I did summon a bunch of monsters in one turn

If you or anyone else need help with deck building or anything in that realm can pm me.
I'll probably take you up on this sometime. I'm pretty good at building decks, but it's been a while, and I'm not sure what cards are staples anymore and such.

played the demo today, I'll buy the game some time tomorrow. Yusei's story deck is trash tho man, could not beat Jack for the life of me with his default deck, it kept giving me trashy cards and luck was just on his side, the 3 times i faced him with the default deck by turn 3 he already summoned his signature monster(the white syncro dragon thing). switched to the fusion deck and gave that bitch Jack a nice spanking after.
I just finished that myself. I had to use my custom deck on him AND in the reverse duel. Once Jack got his Archfiend Dragon, I was hosed. And every time I tried to summon one of my own, he stole it. DX

played the demo today, I'll buy the game some time tomorrow. Yusei's story deck is trash tho man, could not beat Jack for the life of me with his default deck, it kept giving me trashy cards and luck was just on his side, the 3 times i faced him with the default deck by turn 3 he already summoned his signature monster(the white syncro dragon thing). switched to the fusion deck and gave that bitch Jack a nice spanking after.

I feel compelled as a fan of 5Ds to point out Stardust Dragon is actually Yusei's signature card (Though Jack does use it in that duel I guess for plot reasons). Yusei's decks get better later on as he starts getting better synchro monsters

Regiruler

Holy crap! Seeing a random vampire card in the game dredged up memories of this guy:

VampireLord-LCJW-EN-C-1E.png

Oh man, I had completely forgotten about him, but that was like one of my absolute favorite cards back in the day. And I see they've apparently made some Vampire support since. Any chance that's a valid/halfway decent deck type?

Edit: While I'm thinking of it, how's Cyber Dragon stuff nowadays, too? I got out shortly after it came out, but I had one and it was a pretty cool (and definitely powerful back at that time) card. Hit the duel in GX where you use a deck with them, and it looks like there's quite a bit of support there.
Vampires are fine as a whole, but die a little too hard to the meta. How well you use kingdom basically makes or breaks your games.

In the off chance your opponent uses the new crush card on you, you basically laugh all the way to game 2.

And remember, you should always be calling spell or trap first.

I'll probably take you up on this sometime. I'm pretty good at building decks, but it's been a while, and I'm not sure what cards are staples anymore and such.

I just finished that myself. I had to use my custom deck on him AND in the reverse duel. Once Jack got his Archfiends Dragon, I was hosed. And every time I tried to summon one of my own, he stole it. DX
glad to know im not the only one that had issues using that trashy ass deck
I feel compelled as a fan of 5Ds to point out Stardust Dragon is actually Yusei's signature card (Though Jack does use it in that duel I guess for plot reasons). Yusei's decks get better later on as he starts getting better synchro monsters

yea i know i just remembered that a few seconds ago. but still, his deck in that battle is butt.

also im curious, are the earthbound cards(those big black animal like cards with markings all over them from 5Ds) in this game or were those just fake cards made for the anime? cause if my memory serves right, they were pretty broken

Regiruler

yea i know i just remembered that a few seconds ago. but still, his deck in that battle is butt.

also im curious, are the earthbound cards(those big black animal like cards with markings all over them from 5Ds) in this game or were those just fake cards made for the anime? cause if my memory serves right, they were pretty broken
Earthbounds are real. They're honestly not that good, but you could probably work something with seal of orichalcos, which was also made real a few years back.

THey're in the game. Also they have a few major weakness, namely you can only use one at a time, and most importantly they can only stay on the field if a field spell is present, which means they're very vulnerable to magic destroying cards. The need for a field spell was actually present in the anime too, it was just never taken advantage of (Half the time because it was a turbo duel where speed world was always set, but whatever)

Earthbounds are real. They're honestly not that good, but you could probably work something with seal of orichalcos, which was also made real a few years back.

THey're in the game. Also they have a few major weakness, namely you can only use one at a time, and most importantly they can only stay on the field if a field spell is present, which means they're very vulnerable to magic destroying cards. The need for a field spell was actually present in the anime too, it was just never taken advantage of (Half the time because it was a turbo duel where speed world was always set, but whatever)

ahh okay yea that is a pretty big weakness but not one that i paid much attention to since by that time i was watching 5Ds cause i enjoyed the story and already quit the card game and like you said, they practically never took advantage of that weakness.

bumpkin

Hmm, that's that kind of weird... I'm playing on PS4 and it seems like Trophies aren't unlocking. Do things you do in Story mode duels not count? By my count, I should have gotten some of 'em like the one for a tribute summon or winning by drawing all five parts of Exodia.

FWIW, I did the "Unlock full game" choice and kept playing from there. I wonder if I have to close the Application and restart it afterwards to break the lock.

What are your current "ace" card? I been building an Amazon Deck for fun to farm credit for a Blackwing and Lightsworn deck [Also Junk & Debris - Neo Spacian build!].
Amazon are so fun, Amazoness Queen and Amazoness Village are MVP. My current deck is a hybrid Amazoness/Warrior deck (those tech in Command Knights & Marauding Captains are key).

Sandfox

What are your current "ace" card? I been building an Amazon Deck for fun to farm credit for a Blackwing and Lightsworn deck [Also Junk & Debris - Neo Spacian build!].
Amazon are so fun, Amazoness Queen and Amazoness Village are MVP. My current deck is a hybrid Amazoness/Warrior deck (those tech in Command Knights & Marauding Captains are key).
I just built a six samurai deck and it usually takes me about two turns to win due to banned cards like gateway of the six and pot of greed.

Right now my online deck is a Qli deck, so probably Apoqliphort Skybase (I didn't have towers when I made the deck, so I haven't used it yet. BUt I like the ability to steal one of my opponent's monsters a bit better anyways)

Sayah

I'm wondering if I should buy this.

Is the online populated enough?
And does the game have you buy more DLC to get good cards?

I'm wondering if I should buy this.

Is the online populated enough?
And does the game have you buy more DLC to get good cards?
Yeah, the online seems pretty healthy from what anecdotal evidence I've heard.

And nope! The DLC doesn't actually give you any exclusive cards. It's just some story duels and early premade decks iirc.

EDIT: Holy crap, that Apoqliphort is freaking crazy!

Fj0823

And nope! The DLC doesn't actually give you any exclusive cards. It's just some story duels and early premade decks iirc.

Qliphort is one of the top 5 decks of the format.

pendulum summon makes it really easy to get the 3 tributes for it. I mean look at this shit:

You can search for it with Summoner's Art and boom, instant Pendulum summon

I love how amazing Qliphorts are, though I feel the list might have hit them a bit too hard

EDIT: I decided to play YGOPro for a bit to use some newer decks....and some dude called me a coward for using pendulums and ragequitted turn 1....da fuck man

Qliphort is one of the top 5 decks of the format.

pendulum summon makes it really easy to get the 3 tributes for it. I mean look at this shit:

I love how amazing Qliphorts are, though I feel the list might have hit them a bit too hard

EDIT: I decided to play YGOPro for a bit to use some newer decks....and some dude called me a coward for using pendulums and ragequitted turn 1....da fuck man
I can imagine, especially since a lot of other top deck types seem to be based around shutting down special summons. And while pendulum special summoning is important to Qli, it's more important in that it links to tribute summoning which is where the real power of Qli monsters come out

Sayah

There are no DLC exclusive cards right now

Thank you. :)
I'm understanding this Xyz and synchro stuff but the pendulum cards are way too much info to absorb at once.

Fj0823

I can imagine, especially since a lot of other top deck types seem to be based around shutting down special summons. And while pendulum special summoning is important to Qli, it's more important in that it links to tribute summoning which is where the real power of Qli monsters come out

Correct, which is why I feel that the hit to "Skill Drain" and "Saqlifice" to 1 was a bit hard. Although the hit on Semi-Limiting Scout was fair game, I would've even limited it to 1 since you can search it with Summoner's art but that could be much too

I'm understanding this Xyz and synchro stuff but the pendulum cards are way too much info to absorb at once.
Play with the Pendulum Starter deck for a while after reading the quick guide in the OP, everything will be much easier after a few matches.

HabeeNo

Fj, for a former Roid & Morphtronic player, what's the newest archtype that involves cool Machines/Vehicles/Gadjets with funny faces? Did something within those lines come up recently, or am I out of luck?

Pendulum is actually pretty simple when you use it, but it does sound a bit complex when you first hear it. I honestly think Xyz ranks instead of levels is the stranger thing than anything about Pendulum

Skittles

Fj, for a former Roid & Morphtronic player, what's the newest archtype that involves cool Machines/Vehicles/Gadjets with funny faces? Did something within those lines come up recently, or am I out of luck?
Batterymen or deskbots are your closet things i think. Someone might correct me though
Edit:totally forgot about geargia lol. Speedroids are another thing, but they're a long way off

Sandfox

Gadgets are still the top deck in that regard and xyz only made them better.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot about Geargia lol

Fj0823

Holy shit they're PERFECT! I love them already lol

Great! They should all be In the game! Just remember you can only use 2 of their best trap.

Holy Shit at those twitch Numbers. I sometimes forget how many people play/remember this game fondly.

Pendulum might give then another huge boost

but I mentioned Geargia since he asked for something newer

I really can't wait for Pendulum to be included in more archetypes. It's probably the coolest new summoning method, since rather than explicitly existing just to summon a powerful monster like XYZ, Synchro, or Fusion, it's actually a very different type of summon, and because it's purpose is different it can be linked well with the other summoning methods. Pendulum is great because unlike how XYZ pretty much replaced Synchros for a while, and synchros replaced fusion, Pendulum lends itself to supporting any of the other summoning methods. That also means it can go well with almost any archetype

Sayah

Pendulum is actually pretty simple when you use it, but it does sound a bit complex when you first hear it. I honestly think Xyz ranks instead of levels is the stranger thing than anything about Pendulum

Play with the Pendulum Starter deck for a while after reading the quick guide in the OP, everything will be much easier after a few matches.

THanks for the advice.
I made an account on dueling network just to refresh myself with the game. Let's see how well this goes.

Another thing I want to ask is what is the main advantage of buying this game over just playing it on dueling network for free? Outside of the separate story mode stuff of course.

Some cards are REALLY hard to get. The rarity of cards in a booster pack is kind of absurd compared to tag force. Sadly we don't have a way of knowing what cards are in what pack.

Bowl0l

Boyos, any tips for my Vita and me being able to play it far away from the PS4? Whenever I go to my bedroom to play or down at the basement, I seem to struggle. I can't get further then a room away from it...

Any way to enhance this? I don't want to play it on my PS4 but stick to the Vita, this game is made for it.
Too bad Konami doesn't see Vita potential unless they plan to sell Vita version too.. I might rebuy if DLC has cross buy.

Fj0823

THanks for the advice.
I made an account on dueling network just to refresh myself with the game. Let's see how well this goes.

Another thing I want to ask is what is the main advantage of buying this game over just playing it on dueling network for free? Outside of the separate story mode stuff of course.

1) Supporting the franchise
2) Have you seen dueling network? all non ranked host are all "NO PENDULUM NO XYZ NO SYNCHROS, 1ST GEN ONLY CHARACTER ROLEPLAY, IM YUGI, NO NOOBS"
3)The game is fully automated.

And I say this as a frequent DN user myself. Not to have people quit on me when I try to explain that destroying is not the same as negating....Is well worth $20

Sayah

1) Supporting the franchise
2) Have you seen dueling network? all host are all "NO PENDULUM NO XYZ NO SYNCHROS, 1ST GEN ONLY CHARACTER ROLEPLAY, IM YUGI, NO NOOBS"
3)The game is fully automated.

And I say this as a DN user myself.

The fully automated part is what matters most to me. Will buy.

I remember using dueling network years ago and having to deal with a lot of things manually. This is good news.

I used to collect the cards and play this game a lot during middle school days. How time flies.

THanks for the advice.

Copying my earlier post:

SkullHydra said:
A lot of story based duels using the characters from the shows, sealed and draft play, remote play on your Vita, supporting the Yugioh game franchise, and... I think that's probably it.

It's not going to be as up to date or probably polished as YGOPro (I haven't played it yet), but it's some good fun.

EDIT: Dang it, beaten by Fj. Lol.

Sayah

Pardon my constant questioning, but what do you guys recommend as far as deck construction goes?

FOr "winning," should the focus be on a certain "type" of monsters or should it just be on accumulating the most powerful cards into one deck?

I don't know a lot of these new cards so wondering if things have changed. In the past, I just focused on having the most powerful cards in the deck instead of having a specific focus (e.g. Harpy deck, Amazonness deck, Dragon-monster deck, etc.).

Pardon my constant questioning, but what do you guys recommend as far as deck construction goes?

FOr "winning," should the focus be on a certain "type" of monsters or should it just be on accumulating the most powerful cards into one deck?

I don't know a lot of these new cards so wondering if things have changed. In the past, I just focused on having the most powerful cards in the deck instead of having a specific focus (e.g. Harpy deck, Amazonness deck, Dragon-monster deck, etc.).
A themed focus is better every time. Having a specific goal of what you want to do with your deck is always preferable to just trying to attack with every monster.

Walpurgis

Banned
How would that even be possible since both players would need to share the same TV, and in turn being able to see each others hand, which would throw all element of surprise or strategy out the window.

The only way I'd see for there to be offline multiplayer be functional at all is if it was a co-op tag mode.

Having two player offline duels would be no different then playing Battleship in which your opponent knows where your ship is.

It would completely defeat the purpose.
We could make it work. It would be nice to at least have the option. :p

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm liking the game thus far; though it kinda feels cheap - it makes me think of the Dueling Network but that's free lol

Top Bottom