• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist |OT|Yes, I did summon a bunch of monsters in one turn

So, those Exodia decks posted above. How can you have for example "Pot of Greed" in your deck? Isn't it banned, because I certainly can't use any decks that have that card included in SP.

Hmm, you're supposed to be able to use it in SP. From what I've played, the ban list is only for online.

Afrocious

I certainly can't. When given the option User Deck and I select it, I can only select from the ones that don't banned cards. All I see on there are premade decks.

You have to actually have the cards to use the decks. If you go into Deck Edit and see a Deck Recipe that isn't complete, you can't use it.

Afrocious

I actually modified my deck, slightly. I removed one of the Dark Monsters (Sangan) and put a Magical Mallet in it's place. I have found it lets me "reboot" my entire hand if I get a bunch of dead draws for example.

I don't have any Legacy of Yata-Garasu yet either, for now I'm using Magician of Faith as a placeholder

Here is a quick video I uploaded that shows how this specific Exodia deck works.
http://youtu.be/L6vPM9V6EvI

just got around to watching this video. that was awesome.

where can i get those dark/fiend cards you had?

Akai__

You have to actually have the cards to use the decks. If you go into Deck Edit and see a Deck Recipe that isn't complete, you can't use it.

I'll have to look into this, but I don't think that's the issue because the deck started to work, once I removed the "Pot of Greed" cards from it and I have that card like 8 times.

Will upload a Xbox DVR clip later. if it doesn't work. Thanks for the tip.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Are Jinzo decks viable? I've been using Joey's challenge deck to clear out Challenge mode and I am considering using it online. Haven't played any online matches yet but I assume it will be useful since everybody and their mother will be filling their decks with annoying cards such as Mirror Force, Call of the Haunted and Botomless Trap Hole

So for Qliphort, all the monsters are kinda expensive to summon, but I also notice they're all pendulum cards. From what I've read in this thread, there's little Pendulum support in this game, right? How's Qliphort decks in this game?

In SP, restrictions don't matter. You can run with 3 Pot of Greeds with no issue.
Fucking amazing. Qli is one of the games best archetypes by far and since it uses the January banlist stuff like qliphort scout, Saqlifice and skill drain are still unlimited

Afrocious

Fucking amazing. Qli is one of the games best archetypes by far and since it uses the January banlist stuff like qliphort scout, Saqlifice and skill drain are still unlimited

Awesome!

Who should I start beating to get the cards? What's a good Qliphort deck structure to start with?

Awesome!

Who should I start beating to get the cards? What's a good Qliphort deck structure to start with?
Use summoner's art (for searching for qliphort scout since it counts as a normal monster as well as a pendulum monster). Use qliphort scout to call other qlis (usually starting with something with a 1 pendulum scale like monolith first, but not always depending on your hand). Except the apoqliphorts, and the two normal pendulums (scout and monolith), every Qliphort can be normal summoned without tributes, but goes to level 4 and it's original attack is changed to 1800 (Unless it's effect is cancelled. Note even if it's skill reactivates, it's attack won't revert later). This also happens when they're special summoned, so you want to special summon into a tribute summon generally (The level 6 qlis also have effects to clear cards from the field when tributed, and the higher level ones generally have skills that activate when tribute summoned). Skill drain is very useful since it cancels the skills of qlis on the field as well as cripples opponent's effect monsters, which means pendulum summoned qlis will have full attack power. It's also worth noting that the Apoqliphort ace monsters (towers and skybase) are immune to spell and trap effects (Plus any monster effect from a lower level/rank monster), so if they're already on the field skill drain won't effect them and they can keep using their own skills. (However, skill drain DOES work on the Apoqliphorts if it was in effect before summoning them, so try to get them on the field first if you have a choice). Also note skill drain only applies to effects on the field, so you can still normal summon without tributes since that applies from the hand, and you can use the tributed effects of helix and carrier since those activate from the graveyard.Torrential tribute is also good since you can usually resummon all your qlis very easily through pendulum, and the only non pendulum monsters you'll have are the apoqliphorts that are immune to effects. You can look up more advice on Yugioh wikia.

Boogiepop

Going into the deck edit menu is 100% sure to save the game, and that's what I keep doing before stopping playing.

So just literally hit deck edit from the menu and then go back out? Just want to confirm since the game isn't super transparent with when it's saving, unless I'm missing something and thus making myself look dumb with this post.

Akai__

Forget what I was saying about banned cards in SP, because I think I know what happened. I probably didn't have enough "Pot of Greed" cards at that time. It works now, so sorry for the confusion.

Fj0823

Are Jinzo decks viable? I've been using Joey's challenge deck to clear out Challenge mode and I am considering using it online. Haven't played any online matches yet but I assume it will be useful since everybody and their mother will be filling their decks with annoying cards such as Mirror Force, Call of the Haunted and Botomless Trap Hole

Not sure, Jinzo got 3 support cards.
300px-JinzoJector-SECE-EN-SR-LE.png
300px-Jinzo-ReturnerLODT-EN-R-1E.png
300px-PsychicShockwave-EXVC-EN-ScR-1E.jpg

And nothing else. I don't think that makes "Jinzo" a fully fledged archtype.

However, I've seen Jinzo being very very good when used with the Monarch Archtype and their tribute summon enhancing spells

Not sure, Jinzo got 3 support cards.

And nothing else. I don't think that makes "Jinzo" a fully fledged archtype.

However, I've seen Jinzo being very very good when used with the Monarch Archtype and their tribute summon enhancing spells
Jinzo's equip spell isn't in the game?

macklelol

1) Yes, there's a single player campaign for each of the series except for Arc-V.
2) No matchmaking, it uses lobbies. In my experience, I never really had to wait that long for a duel, even playing late at night.
3) Not every card made, it's missing cards from Crossed Souls (which came out in May) and beyond. I don't know where the exact cutoff point is, though.
4) No, some cards/decks are locked behind DLC.

OmegaDL50

just got around to watching this video. that was awesome.

where can i get those dark/fiend cards you had?

Sangan = Bakura Booster
Armageddon Knight = Jesse Anderson Booster (it's rare)
Makyura the Destructor and Witch of the Black Forest = Battle Pack: Epic Dawn in Draft Mode (Even if you lose a Draft Duel you still keep the cards you bought)

Recall

I'm loving my Six Sam deck. Possible two Synchro Summons on turn one is ace though even without the god draw it can still hold it's own for that turn 3/4 win too.

Afrocious

You folks were right about Qli. Goddamn. I might actually play online with this once I figure out a good deck structure for it. I made a deck already but I don't think it's good quite yet. So far, it's allowing me to get the hang of Pendulum summoning (and see how powerful it is).

I don't have cards in it like Skill Drain yet. I know Skill Drain's effect, but I'm trying to figure out what makes it better than that one Qli continuous trap card that negates effects on monsters.

EDIT: The card is Re-qliate.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Re-qliate

-Continuous Trap Card-
If a monster is Normal or Flip Summoned, and it is a Level 4 or lower monster: Negate its effects until the end of this turn. If a monster(s) is Special Summoned, and it is a Level 5 or higher monster: Negate its effects until the end of this turn, also banish it when it leaves the field. If there is no "Qli" card on the field, except "Re-qliate", send this card to the Graveyard.

Here's Skill Drain for reference

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Skill_Drain

-Continuous Trap Card-
Activate by paying 1000 Life Points. The effects of all face-up monsters on the field are negated while those monsters are face-up on the field (but their effects can still be activated).

You folks were right about Qli. Goddamn. I might actually play online with this once I figure out a good deck structure for it. I made a deck already but I don't think it's good quite yet. So far, it's allowing me to get the hang of Pendulum summoning (and see how powerful it is).

I don't have cards in it like Skill Drain yet. I know Skill Drain's effect, but I'm trying to figure out what makes it better than that one Qli continuous trap card that negates effects on monsters.

-Continuous Trap Card-
If a monster is Normal or Flip Summoned, and it is a Level 4 or lower monster: Negate its effects until the end of this turn. If a monster(s) is Special Summoned, and it is a Level 5 or higher monster: Negate its effects until the end of this turn, also banish it when it leaves the field. If there is no "Qli" card on the field, except "Re-qliate", send this card to the Graveyard.

-Continuous Trap Card-
Activate by paying 1000 Life Points. The effects of all face-up monsters on the field are negated while those monsters are face-up on the field (but their effects can still be activated).
Skill drain also cripples your opponent, and can't be knocked off the field by it's own effect

Afrocious

Skill drain also cripples your opponent, and can't be knocked off the field by it's own effect

Might be a bit too much to ask, but could you give me an in-duel scenario example for why Skill Drain is better? I might not reading these right or may not get them at all. I basically don't see how you get an advantage over the opponent with a Qli deck with Skill Drain in play. I know with Re-qliate, the effects of the Qli cards are negated, so after doing a 4-star normal summon for them, you can bring their ATK back to their normal 2400-2800 numbers.

Might be a bit too much to ask, but could you give me an in-duel scenario example for why Skill Drain is better? I might not reading these right or may not get them at all.

I mean, it cancels all of your opponents field monster effects as well. Most decks rely on monster effects, so it can shut down a lot of strategies. For example, it can shut down Silent Honors Ark's effect to make one of your special summoned Qli into an overlay unit, as well as negate it's ability to survive longer by removing overlay material

Afrocious

I mean, it cancels all of your opponents field monster effects as well. Most decks rely on monster effects, so it can shut down a lot of strategies. For example, it can shut down Silent Honors Ark's effect to make one of your special summoned Qli into an overlay unit, as well as negate it's ability to survive longer by removing overlay material

I see. So what about the bit in parenthesis (where effects can still be activated)?

That kinda confuses me. If an effect is negated, how can the effect be activated?

I see. So what about the bit in parenthesis (where effects can still be activated)?

That kinda confuses me. If an effect is negated, how can the effect be activated?

It means you can activate them by paying any associated costs, but the actual effect won't occur. So I can activate an effect that requires me to pay life points or discard a card, but the effect itself won't resolve. Could be important if the activation cost is discarding a card, and a card in your hand has an effect that activates when discarded (Which wouldn't be impeded since skill drain doesn't affect the hand or graveyard)

Afrocious

It means you can activate them by paying any associated costs, but the actual effect won't occur. So I can activate an effect that requires me to pay life points or discard a card, but the effect itself won't resolve. Could be important if the activation cost is discarding a card, and a card in your hand has an effect that activates when discarded (Which wouldn't be impeded since skill drain doesn't affect the hand or graveyard)

Awesome explanation. Thanks! One more question: How does Skill Drain help out with Qli cards? I can see why you'd want to summon Towers or Skybase before activating Skill Drain so they can still have their effects in play.

I'm loving my Six Sam deck. Possible two Synchro Summons on turn one is ace though even without the god draw it can still hold it's own for that turn 3/4 win too.

I assume you modified the six sam build I've sent you. If you are having fun with it, I suggest you try out a yosenju deck also. You don't need the dlc as all of the essential cards can be purchased from the pendulmn pack.

Awesome explanation. Thanks! One more question: How does Skill Drain help out with Qli cards? I can see why you'd want to summon Towers or Skybase before activating Skill Drain so they can still have their effects in play.

It allows you to swarm the field with more powerful monsters, by getting rid of the effects that make them weaker if they're normal summoned without tributes or special summoned. It also doesn't affect pendulum summoning or pendulum effects, since while in the pendulum zone they count as magic cards rather than monsters. So if I have skill drain active, and my pendulum zones set, I can continuously special summon monsters with 2800 and 2400 attack points very easily. And even if they're destroyed, unless they're banished I can just resummon all of them next turn

The only Qli monster besides the Apoqliphort cards with an effect that might make skill drain hurt it all that much is Shell, since two attacks with piercing is great, but even that requires you to tribute summon it. Carrier and Helix also have great effects, but they activate when tributed, so they count as graveyard effects and aren't hurt by skill drain

Fj0823

-Continuous Trap Card-

-Continuous Trap Card-

For one, skill drain doesn't get destroyed if you lose your qli cards

also, skill negates all monsters , the other one can't stop Xyz monsters

Afrocious

It allows you to swarm the field with more powerful monsters, by getting rid of the effects that make them weaker if they're normal summoned without tributes or special summoned. It also doesn't affect pendulum summoning or pendulum effects, since while in the pendulum zone they count as magic cards rather than monsters. So if I have skill drain active, and my pendulum zones set, I can continuously special summon monsters with 2800 and 2400 attack points very easily. And even if they're destroyed, unless they're banished I can just resummon all of them next turn

The only Qli monster besides the Apoqliphort cards with an effect that might make skill drain hurt it all that much is Shell, since two attacks with piercing is great, but even that requires you to tribute summon it. Carrier and Helix also have great effects, but they activate when tributed, so they count as graveyard effects and aren't hurt by skill drain

For one, skill drain doesn't get destroyed if you lose your qli cards

also, skill negates all monsters , the other one can't stop Xyz monsters

Thanks for the explanations and even answering questions I was going to ask later on! I figured the tribute effects would be negated, too, but it makes sense they're still used since the tribute cards are no longer on the field.

Also, I didn't even pay attention to how Skill Drain doesn't care about levels at all. Awesome. I think I'm going to swap out Re-qliate with Skill Drain.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm trying to get up to speed with the current (well, March 2015) meta. Does anyone know what the reasoning was behind allowing:
1x Raigeki
2x Dark Hole
3x Mirror Force
3x MST

Is it that the abundance of special summoning needed a bigger counterbalance than 1x Torrential Tribute and 1x Mirror Force? In my mind, the amount of crazy board clear (both monster and s/t) allows for huge swings every turn and makes games less stable, but I'm unfamiliar with more recent cards that may balance that out.

Edit: Also, mass board clear also tends to drain cards fast. Are there more efficient draw engines now?

Boogiepop

Okay, almost done the non-reverse campaign. Can someone recommend me a legal deck that's also fast? Like, something I could play online and it'd be solid enough, but also it could tear through the AI opponents and wouldn't rely on stalling or anything at all. Gonna probably make an Exodia too as a nuke option, but I want a "real" deck as well, I think.

Afrocious

I'm trying to get up to speed with the current (well, March 2015) meta. Does anyone know what the reasoning was behind allowing:
1x Raigeki
2x Dark Hole
3x Mirror Force
3x MST

Is it that the abundance of special summoning needed a bigger counterbalance than 1x Torrential Tribute and 1x Mirror Force? In my mind, the amount of crazy board clear (both monster and s/t) allows for huge swings every turn and makes games less stable, but I'm unfamiliar with more recent cards that may balance that out.

Edit: Also, mass board clear also tends to drain cards fast. Are there more efficient draw engines now?

Yeah, players are able to mass summon stuff with pendulums at ridiculous rates. It makes sense to have ways to deal with waves of monsters. I dunno about how better drawing has become.

Okay, almost done the non-reverse campaign. Can someone recommend me a legal deck that's also fast? Like, something I could play online and it'd be solid enough, but also it could tear through the AI opponents and wouldn't rely on stalling or anything at all. Gonna probably make an Exodia too as a nuke option, but I want a "real" deck as well, I think.

I felt building a Qli deck was fast and easy. I bought a ton of Pendulum packs and got most of the cards I need. Granted, I use an Exodia deck to sweep everyone though. Went through the first two campaigns with my custom made deck, which was fun, but wasted a lot of time when I wanted to simply make decks and get tons of cards.

Just beat Zone in the 5Ds dlc by using Shooting Quasar Dragon. It's pretty hilarious, because earlier in the match he used Sephylon to load himself up with 5 4000 attack monsters and I was like NOPE and used mirror force, killing all of them

Top Bottom