• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Four Swords (3DS/DSi) |OT| Multi-player Zelda now with single-player, too!

Mik2121

Goddamn, I said it a few posts above, but.. if you guys think the game is easy (it is for the most part), wait until you unlock the 30,000 rupee tower. That place is NUTS. I had 3000+ rupees and because I died so much, I only have 500 now, and I'm not done yet with the level. fuuuuu....

Hylian7

Roto13 said:
Wow, the instructions say you don't need to use the L and R buttons in multiplayer mode. That means I can play multiplayer between my 3DS and busted DSi.
You do know you can at least temporarily fix the buttons by blowing in them right? That seriously does work.

TGMIII

Any way to get this without downloading it from the DSi itself, won't have access to wireless for another few days.

Mik2121

Ragus said:
How do you save in this game? Is it possible only after the tutorial?
It saves after you finish a world (the whole world, not one level. There are usually 3 levels per world).

Hylian7

awwyeahgurrl said:
Any way to get this without downloading it from the DSi itself, won't have access to wireless for another few days.
Sadly not, but surely "a few days" is long before February 20, 2012 though, right?

If I steal a Nintendo DSi from a friend, create a new account and download the game and then gave him back the console, I'll be able to redownload the game and play it when I'll buy a 3DS sometime next year (after march, probably)? Mind that I don't know anything about how the Nintendo downloadable game policy is, so there's a high chance that this question doesn't make sense XD.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
In case anybody was wondering the game is region locked even between US and EU versions. I just tried it with my two 3DS consoles. Really lame that Nintendo is still doing that. At the very least, English language versions should be able to interact.

Roto13

Psymon_Stark said:
If I steal a Nintendo DSi from a friend, create a new account and download the game and then gave him back the console, I'll be able to redownload the game and play it when I'll buy a 3DS sometime next year (after march, probably)? Mind that I don't know anything about how the Nintendo downloadable game policy is, so there's a high chance that this question doesn't make sense XD.
Shop accounts are tied to the consoles, so that won't work. You won't be able to get Four Swords unless you buy a DSi or 3DS before February 20th.

Glix

I know this isn't breaking news or anything, but Nintendo are idiots when it comes to online and communicating with their users.

They have an entire system set up to let us know about things, and yet Four Swords comes to the shop and I get ZERO notification.

If that wasn't bad enough, I get an email two days ago telling me all about Mass Attack, yet it is apparently too difficult to send me an email letting me know Four Swords is available.

NOT EVEN AN EMAIL.

If I didn't love their games so much, I would loathe this company.

Roto13

Glix said:
I know this isn't breaking news or anything, but Nintendo are idiots when it comes to online and communicating with their users.

They have an entire system set up to let us know about things, and yet Four Swords comes to the shop and I get ZERO notification.

If that wasn't bad enough, I get an email two days ago telling me all about Mass Attack, yet it is apparently too difficult to send me an email letting me know Four Swords is available.

NOT EVEN AN EMAIL.

Sweet Jesus, calm down. It's been up for an hour.

Boney

Banned
Just played the first tutorial.
1p works, but it just looks like multiplayer, especially 4 players is just genious.

4 Swords online needs to happen.

oatmeal

Banned
Got it.

Played the tutorial, was annoyed by it because I didn't want to just play that.

Wish I had someone to play with...

I liked the mechanics in FSA more than this, but still...FREE.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I partially agree with Glix. I went into my store a little bit ago and didn't see it. But I knew it was out from this thread, looked around, and found it. They need to find a way to keep push notifications more prominent on the home screen.

Nonetheless, I DL'd it but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm really excited for SML2, as well - so we'll see how it goes. Also, I need to finish OoT before I start something new.

Glix said:

NOT EVEN AN EMAIL.

I think it's best to let the hardcore go first to save on server bandwidth. I'm sure that they'll send notifications within the week.

[Nintex]

Finished all stages including the Realm of Memories and that makes me wish Nintendo will never ever let Grezzo design their own Zelda game. The added content just isn't fun, they've only made some boring and frustrating environments. Four Swords GBA was never good to begin with but the design in these new bits is even worse. Four Swords Adventure is superior in every way, I'm glad it's free because I wouldn't pay 99 cents for this mess.

The singleplayer, if you can call it that feels like some sort of romhack. My expectations were low but this is just a terrible product.

fernoca

Glix said:

NOT EVEN AN EMAIL.

:p
They were talking about it since the date was announced at the 3DS Conference (some weeks ago)..and if it's like the Ambassador games; the press releases, etc. will appear later during today. Though they don't need to. The game will be up until February 20, 2012...so if they want, they can talk about it on January 2012. :p

Anyway, everything's as expected. Except the second Link only attacks when needed not every time (like in FSA); but still awesome. Really like that I can choose the color of the second Link, so always pick either blue or purple. XD

donny2112

Psymon_Stark said:
If I steal a Nintendo DSi from a friend, create a new account and download the game and then gave him back the console, I'll be able to redownload the game and play it when I'll buy a 3DS sometime next year (after march, probably)?

No, but you can then use the DSi -> 3DS transfer tool to transfer the game from your friend's DSi to your 3DS. He wouldn't be able to play the game anymore on his DSi, though.

[Nintex] said:
Finished all stages including the Realm of Memories and that makes me wish Nintendo will never ever let Grezzo design their own Zelda game. The added content just isn't fun, they've only made some boring and frustrating environments. Four Swords GBA was never good to begin with but the design in these new bits is even worse. Four Swords Adventure is superior in every way, I'm glad it's free because I wouldn't pay 99 cents for this mess.

The singleplayer, if you can call it that feels like some sort of romhack. My expectations were low but this is just a terrible product.
boo hoo. free game isn't as good as you hoped. even though you liked it enough to play it for a few hours and finish it.

i get it, i get it. it wasn't free ENOUGH.

[Nintex] said:

Free.

I'm sure you'd be complaining too if they just ported over the GBA 1:1.

While the singleplayer option may not be stellar, it's at least nice that they added it since you couldn't play the GBA FS without at least one other person, a second GBA, and a second copy of the game in addition to a fuckin' link cable.

Boney

Banned
I'd rather pay and get a better game though. Even if it's free, he still thought it was a waste of time.

I'm happy, but I'd be happier if I could play it with someone :(

Boney said:
I'd rather pay and get a better game though. Even if it's free, he still thought it was a waste of time.

I'm happy, but I'd be happier if I could play it with someone :(
i'm still kind of bemused as to why he played through the whole thing if it was a waste of his time. maybe it's just me, but i don't grind through something i'm not enjoying to see a handful of new levels. i don't finish games i don't like, even if they're short.

and hell, if he didn't like the original why he'd waste time with this. most people i know highly enjoyed the original, and i know it reviewed very well at the time.

Majine

Banned
fernoca said:
There is, quite similar to the online in the Wii version. Also in Tetris Axis.
Well, that's good. I dunno, the most annoying part of Nintendo's online strategy is that more often than not, they are not even trying. Online drop-in and drop-out in NSMBWii would've been great. Just an example.

But yeah, this is free after all.

fernoca

Stretched in the 3DS doesn't look ...bad. Quite nice, maybe because the game's colorful.
1:1/native of course looks better, cleaner and sharp. But at least (unlike the GB games); I don't need to remind myself to hold Select to choose it. :p

Majine said:
Well, that's good. I dunno, the most annoying part of Nintendo's online strategy is that more often than not, they are not even trying. Online drop-in and drop-out in NSMBWii would've been great. Just an example.

But yeah, this is free after all.
Yeah. Though another thing is that people tend to remember more when Nintendo doesn't add online, than when they do.

For example, Nintendo was the one that published the most online games on the DS (along the store and downloadable games/stuff on the DSi); and published as much online games on Wii as Activision (on top of the store, WiiWare, etc.)..

Yet, most only remember that "why NSMB Wii wasn't online!" and that "Nintendo doesn't believe in online"; when at least they proved otherwise. If anything, they did the "best" they could with what they had available.

Though it seems that their mentality is like "lets add online for what we want, not to everything".

Now it's a matter of waiting and see what they learned. :p

[Nintex]

AbsoluteZero said:
Free.

I'm sure you'd be complaining too if they just ported over the GBA 1:1.

While the singleplayer option may not be stellar, it's at least nice that they added it since you couldn't play the GBA FS without at least one other person, a second GBA, and a second copy of the game in addition to a fuckin' link cable.
After playing it by myself I now understand why they made that decision back then and it was a damn good one.

plagiarize said:
just to confirm, my japanese DSi and my US 3DS will not play together. this was expected, but is still a bit unfortunate.
That's quite annoying, but I had the same problem with PSN games like Spelunker. I bought the jap. version months before my friends bought the western release - no chance to play together. It's seriously a pain in the ass and shouldn't be accepted anymore.

As for the game:
I'm really having fun so far, especially with the SNES one. That level is huuuuuuge. Just started the GB level.. dat sound <3..!

Lord_Byron28 said:
Downloading now thanks for the birthday gift Nitendo.
Happy birthday, dude!

[Nintex] said:
After playing it by myself I now understand why they made that decision back then and it was a damn good one.
well, back then there was a single player option. it was LTTP. i think adding single player to this is a good idea. many people will play it that way. i think that's better than no one playing it, but i really hope as many people as possible (yourself included) get a chance to play the game as truly intended with three other people in the same room working together and stabbing each other in the back every chance you get.

The Lamonster said:
Does this have Download Play so I could play local multi with my DS Phat?
no it doesn't. it's way too complicated to support download play. for download play all the assets and all the engine have to fit in memory at the same time. that's why most games with download play only offer a very limited section of the full game. heck, you could do gamesharing on GBA carts for some games (like Super Circuit)... but Four Swords was too complex then, and its still too complex now.

[Nintex]

plagiarize said:
well, back then there was a single player option. it was LTTP. i think adding single player to this is a good idea. many people will play it that way. i think that's better than no one playing it, but i really hope as many people as possible (yourself included) get a chance to play the game as truly intended with three other people in the same room working together and stabbing each other in the back every chance you get.
That's what Four Swords Adventures is for, this alpha version prototype of that game should've been kept locked away.

Thoraxes

Glix said:

NOT EVEN AN EMAIL.

They always send out weekly emails called the Nintendo weekly download or something like that on Thursday evenings. Game hasn't even been out for a day yet.

GeekyDad

fernoca said:
Yeah. Though another thing is that people tend to remember more when Nintendo doesn't add online, than when they do. ...

Well, with good reason, though. You have a game like NSMB Wii and don't add the option to co-op with friends online, it's a lot more frustrating than having a shitty game without that option. It's always more frustrating when you see the promise and can't touch it than when you just don't care at all. It becomes more of an issue when you see games on other systems that offer these features -- games that are perhaps not as fun, perhaps made by small teams. It makes you wonder why a mammoth like Nintendo won't add those features to hit an obvious home run on a flagship title.

In this case, as with the Ambassador Program, I don't see the content as free. I paid for it (or will pay for it) one way or the other. Write up the paper work and receipts any way you like, Nintendo aren't offering this to us out of a sense of joy to share their content with their fans. It's an incentive. That alone is worth plenty to them, be it word of mouth about a "free game," or an excuse to purchase a system for someone who's been on the fence. No one needs to make excuses for Nintendo or denounce someone for complaining, unless their points are just straight-up bullshit.

I'm sure the game is great for what it is. Considering they added new content, however, I'm guessing it wasn't beyond their abilities as a huge fucking corporation to offer online co-op.

[Nintex] said:
That's what Four Swords Adventures is for, this alpha version prototype of that game should've been kept locked away.
erm. no.

entry level for Four Swords Adventure was equally high. i've never heard anyone else call Four Swords 'alpha version' of Four Swords Adventure, and while I really enjoyed FSA, i always missed the free roaming ability that was lost in having to keep everyone on the same screen in FSA.

plus, it meant the loss of such things as blinding other players with pots.

i don't think it's cut and dry, at all, that one is better than the other. and certainly THIS version has the lowest entry requirements of all of them and that's what i was highlighting.

answer me straight... and i'll believe you either way, but did you play Four Swords with four players back in the day?

Top Bottom