• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Four Swords (3DS/DSi) |OT| Multi-player Zelda now with single-player, too!

dwu8991

Banned
StuBurns said:
While I do think it's awesome Nintendo have done this, it almost makes me wonder why the first parties don't give away games more often. If for nothing else than to attract people to the platforms. Certainly I wouldn't expect the Zelda SS/Uncharted/Gears' of the world being free, but they all do smaller downloadable games they could give away if they cared to.

Nintendo's definitely doing more to reward its fans. Not sure about MS or Sony though.

fernoca

marc^o^ said:
Edit: actually a B+, as online would have been neat indeed. 3DS can certainly handle voice chat.
Keep in mind that this is not a 3DS game, but a DSiWare one. :p

Though the DS/DSi/XL could handle online and voice chat; so maybe there are other reasons (like the game in multiplayer is about timing and acting together; so a few seconds of lag could break a puzzle..or something).

Or maybe they just didn't wanted. :p

And I don't know why so many waiting the US release at this hours. The Ambassador games were early probably because it was just Nintendo updating the accounts of the 3DS games (since it was all it was, no store front, no DSi players, no multiple people "purchasing" the games).

This one is an update to the actual store, that even DSi (aside 3DS) owners can get. Nintendo never updates the store at midnight or 5AM....so far at least. XD

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
dwu8991 said:
Nintendo's definitely doing more to reward its fans. Not sure about MS or Sony though.

Especially to the early adopter fanbase. They gave as so many great games for free!

fernoca said:
Keep in mind that this is not a 3DS game, but a DSiWare one. :p

Though the DS/DSi/XL could handle online and voice chat; so maybe there are other reasons (like the game in multiplayer is about timing and acting together; so a few seconds of lag could break a puzzle..or something).

Or maybe they just didn't wanted. :p

Or maybe it's because IT'S FREE!!! (but seriously, the game does rely heavily on exact timing in many places. Much like NSMB Wii, it just wouldn't work well online)

Mik2121

Nuclear Muffin said:
Or maybe it's because IT'S FREE!!!
There are lots of free games out there with at least basic online support :p

So no, it sounds to me like Nintendo are a bunch of lazy guys :p

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
kamorra said:
Especially to the early adopter fanbase. They gave as so many great games for free!

That wasn't a reward, just for the sake of hey, let's give something to all of our fans for supporting us through the years. That was damage control.
It was no different than Sony's damage control after the PSN debacle, or Microsoft's free Undertow when Live went down.

To be fair though, I've received free games from all three companies, and it's certainly nice when one of the big companies decides to loosen the purse strings a little, and throw us a bone.

I've never played Four Swords before, and am looking forward to checking it out.

dwu8991

Banned
The graphics feel kind of funny. It does feel like going back to the GBA days!
The frame rate is perfect, everything is so crisp and smooth.
My only complaint is that is feels to small playing on the 3DS. Wish I could play on the XL!

Provider

dwu8991 said:
The graphics feel kind of funny. It does feel like going back to the GBA days!
The frame rate is perfect, everything is so crisp and smooth.
My only complaint is that is feels to small playing on the 3DS. Wish I could play on the XL!

Well if you have a DSiXL you can play it.

Well I've been going through downloading it on my various systems.

Man..... can't believe how much nicer the DSi is just to hold than the 3DS is. And don't even get me started on how wonderful the XL's screen is compared to 3DS.

*sigh* I'm usually on Nintendo's side because they usually do that stuff so well, but the 3DS's 'feel' just doesn't do it for me. :(

I need a revision!

Plus its stupid that the game is smaller on the 3DS's screen because of the resolution (or whatever? its obviously a DSi game just running on 3DS as normal as apposed to something optimized) than it is on even the regular DSi's. Makes me just want to play on XL.

It's a DSi game man, we've always known that. Personally, I can't attest to DSi XL, but I enjoy holding the 3DS every bit as much as the regular DSi. In fact, I think its nicer - the build quality feels much classier / better.

It would have been nice if they could have hacked together a way of supporting the full resolution of the top 3DS screen... but I don't see that bothering me too much. I hope they have an ulterior motive for releasing this -- water testing or hype generating for a future four swords release for example.. maybe if it proves popular there'll be a dedicated 3DS iteration with online etc.

I'm looking forward to getting home and playing this though, the extras and single player are cool enough for me - such a nice freebie!

Elginer

I'm actually looking forward to that rather silly looking extra thumbstick simply so I can hold the damn thing well. It feels so cramped, at least to me.

Still no damn Zelda in my eShop. Will wait a bit more (not like I have any choice in the matter)

Mik2121

Uhm.. got 24,628 coins, cleared out all the NES/SNES/GB levels and got access to
an extra attack with my sword (you can throw a beam)
and I still have two levels left on the sky level, but for some reason it takes me straight into the one I already did. What the hell.. :S

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nuclear Muffin said:
Or maybe it's because IT'S FREE!!! (but seriously, the game does rely heavily on exact timing in many places. Much like NSMB Wii, it just wouldn't work well online)

really? SFIV works online, how can an adventure game need more accurate timing than that? Haven't played it, but being a zelda game won't it just be 'stand on a button at the same time' or 'flick a switch at the same time'? Game could easily internally adjust to give more leeway when playing online.

most likely it was just more complicated so they didn't bother.

I wish it had download play, as we only have one 3DS in the house, the others are 2 DS lites and a phat.

I've just never been a fan of the glossy type (not sure how else to explain it) plastic stuff the 3DS is made out of.

Plus the buttons on my system just suck, they're all stiff and the dpad isn't 'nice' to push. Maybe its just mine, I really wish I knew someone else with a system so I could compare. I'm always complaining about this and still don't know anyone else in RL with one. :(

Having said all that, one good thing in the fact that its a DSi game means I can cross play across my DSi, XL and 3DS so can play 3 player multiplayer! Just seems silly the 'better' system with the bigger (than DSi at least) screen has the smallest version of the game lol.

Oxx

Single-player seems a bit fiddly, but hopefully I'll get used to it eventually. The first boss took a lot longer than it should have.

mrklaw said:
really? SFIV works online, how can an adventure game need more accurate timing than that? Haven't played it, but being a zelda game won't it just be 'stand on a button at the same time' or 'flick a switch at the same time'? Game could easily internally adjust to give more leeway when playing online.

most likely it was just more complicated so they didn't bother.

I wish it had download play, as we only have one 3DS in the house, the others are 2 DS lites and a phat.
i don't understand people looking a gift horse in the mouth. yes, it would have required significant reworking to the game to allow multiplayer over the internet (allowing for voice chat and more open timing windows). the puzzles, espescially with four players, go beyond 'all pull a lever at the same time', and many of them require relatively precise timing where each link has to use a unique item at the right time.

they added single player mode. they added new dungeons. this was more than i think it was fair to expect from a completely free Zelda game. i'm really happy with it.

i hope you get to play four swords with four players to see what kind of chaos it creates, and what kind of co-operation it needs. i'm sure you'll agree that it's absolutely best played with everyone playing together in the same room.

Mik2121

Oxx said:
Single-player seems a bit fiddly, but hopefully I'll get used to it eventually. The first boss took a lot longer than it should have.
You will get used to it eventually. But at first it's quite hard to get used to the controls (L/R to change character, Y to use object and X to call the second Link). To be honest, it isn't the most intuitive thing, but hey..

Also, one thing I'll suggest you is to not always have both Link together. When you need to tackle big enemies or bosses, have them separate (changing using L or R) and use the second link to take the attention from the enemy, then change back to the first Link and attack. When you are not controlling a Link, he doesn't take any damage. So yeah, use it to help yourself :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oooh. Already out in Europe. Will download when I get back home. And there I was hoping I'd get it before I set off for work tomorrow.

MLH

It's about time I entered a thread which reflected my avatar... I didn't think this would be up on the European shop until Thursday.

I'm playing right now on my DSi, but also downloaded onto 3DS (Maybe I can play multi player on my own, lol.

I'm not sure why you can't play as all four links in single player, like in 4 Swords Adventures. Nevertheless, I'm really enjoying this so far.

Jackano

Oxx said:

Single player here is mostly a hack. With this first boss, I already saw a pretty stupid side-effect.

In its second form, the flower throw nuts or something at you, but you need to switch from green Link to red Link, and the flower keeps targeting the Link you don't control. problem is, this Link is invincible, so the boss attack is useless. In the original game, this is truely harder because you need to play with your friend who is not invincible.

Mik2121

Jackano said:
Single player here is mostly a hack. With this first boss, I already saw a pretty stupid side-effect.

In its second form, the flower throw nuts or something at you, but you need to switch from green Link to red Link, and the flower keeps targeting the Link you don't control. problem is, this Link is invincible, so the boss attack is useless. In the original game, this is truely harder because you need to play with your friend who is not invincible.
Eh... no it isn't a side-effect. They made the other player invincible so you can actually, you know, kill the boss. It's pretty neat. It takes a bit from the experience because you suddenly have an invencible Link, but otherwise they would have had to reworked all bosses. I think it's fine the way it is.

Anyway, does anybody know how to unlock the two extra doors on the sky world? I have finished everything, I got the 'Fin' (the end) title show up and everything, yet I can't access the other two rooms. What's the deal with that?...

Ragus

Banned
I enjoy this game very much. The idea of separated levels and kinda arcade style makes this game very interesting.

So, how many levels are in this bad boy?

Javier

Aad said:
114 on DSi
115 of 3DS
Thanks. Definitely need to move one game to the SD Card.

*Looks around* Let's see... sorry Tetris, I like you and all, but I haven't played you in a while and I need the room.

Jackano

Mik2121 said:
Eh... no it isn't a side-effect. They made the other player invincible so you can actually, you know, kill the boss. It's pretty neat. It takes a bit from the experience because you suddenly have an invencible Link, but otherwise they would have had to reworked all bosses. I think it's fine the way it is.
Yeah of course, you didn't understand me.
The side effect I was talking about is the absurd easiness of the boss.

finished the first level now but it takes me straight back to the beginning and not the map - all my rupees lost. Is that intentional - or am I missing something (probable lol). completed it a second time going for speed and it just spat me out at the start again. Hmmm.

Oxx

Jackano said:

Hmm, I could have sworn that the boss shifted targeting (albeit quite slowly) whenever I switched Links.

Tom_Cody

StuBurns said:
EDIT: Here's a better attempt for the sake of my new auto flipping option...
GTcIG.jpg
I feel stupid for asking this, but can someone tell me how to adjust the icon configuration on the bottom screen?

Berordn

The two icons next to the brightness button change the number of rows, and you can move things around by tapping and holding.

Baconbitz

Banned
Tom_Cody said:
I feel stupid for asking this, but can someone tell me how to adjust the icon configuration on the bottom screen?
On the menu screen tap one of the squares on the left hand side of the bottom screen.

Got it on my Japanese DSi. Now just waiting for it to be on the U.S. e-shop for my 3DS. I sure do hope the two versions will be compatible. Doubt it will though.

Top Bottom