• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

RedSwirl

Lemme just ask some questions:

I'm still on my first playthrough on the path on the far left of the flow chart and I thought I was at the end of it when it extended. Do all the flow paths do this?

Second, do you really have to get EVERY ending to unlock the true ending? Or is it like 999 where you have to fulfill certain conditions?

Jintor

You can avoid some of them (most 'bad ends'), but you need to at least get every character ending and one or two bad ends to finish the game.

only some flow paths extend and we are not telling you which ones.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Lemme just ask some questions:

I'm still on my first playthrough on the path on the far left of the flow chart and I thought I was at the end of it when it extended. Do all the flow paths do this?

Second, do you really have to get EVERY ending to unlock the true ending? Or is it like 999 where you have to fulfill certain conditions?
Not every path extends but a few more will. You don't need to get all the bad ends to unlock the true ending afaik, just all the character ends (the slots on the save screen). You do have to complete every room on hard though to unlock the true end final scene/epilogue.

RedSwirl

Not every path extends but a few more will. You don't need to get all the bad ends to unlock the true ending afaik, just all the character ends (the slots on the save screen). You do have to complete every room on hard though to unlock the true end final scene/epilogue.

I read something about a time limit on the true ending. Is that true?

Jintor

No.

Don't worry, the game isn't actively trying to prevent you from reading it or anything.

You will need at least
one bad end... Acta est fabula, plaudite.

tsumineko

My copy from ozgameshop got shipped today :D Great prices for aussies, they're UK stock, but sadly their shipping is usually 2-3 weeks so I still have a bit to wait :( but it's alright as I still want to finish Tales of the Abyss before playing VLR, and if I get to it, I should be able to finish it before VLR arrives.

And then of course there's the Wii U release in a week, so I'm sure the wait wont be too hard :p

Thank you, this is good! I noticed a few on ebay too from the UK. $40 is a steal.

Just got this game a couple days ago from Gamefly. About 12 hours and have completed the left branches (well,
as much as one can on a first playthrough
). Will start working on the middle branch, and then the right branches after that.

Really liking this game a lot so far. There's some really good voice work, especially with Zero III and Dio. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
UK resident here.
Just received my copy of the game from Tesco Entertainment.
Really hope the 3DS European version doesn't suffer from the same bugs as the USA version.

Peff

So I started the leftmost branch and (Tenmyoji speculation)
is him being Junpei a red herring? They're not exactly subtle about it so far...

RedSwirl

So I started the leftmost branch and (Tenmyoji speculation)
is him being Junpei a red herring? They're not exactly subtle about it so far...

The eff?! Maybe it's because I haven'g gone down that path, but doesn't this game only take place like four years after 999? Clover and Alice alone are evidence enough of that. If that line of the story is talking about
previous nonary games, it's not like 999 was the first, and it's hinted that the one June originally participated in wasn't even close to the first nonary game. Tenmyouji could've been involved in one decades ago.

Edit: Actually I am on the leftmost branch and didn't even think for a second that
Tenmyouji might be Junpei

Peff

The eff?! Maybe it's because I haven'g gone down that path, but doesn't this game only take place like four years after 999? Clover and Alice alone are evidence enough of that. If that line of the story is talking about
previous nonary games, it's not like 999 was the first, and it's hinted that the one June originally participated in wasn't even close to the first nonary game. Tenmyouji could've been involved in one decades ago.

Edit: Actually I am on the leftmost branch and didn't even think for a second that
Tenmyouji might be Junpei

The first game was already dealing with time loops, going from there to actual time travel is not such a big leap, assuming it's really just been four years to begin with. I dunno, that dead woman in the elevator is almost certainly Akane, and the way they make a point of especifically focusing on Tenmyoji right after and tell us how apalled he feels made me think of Junpei right away.

qcf x2

I am in the Q Room, I beat the
dart puzzle
on the first try, but now there's another
hexagon
puzzle. And I am absolutely horrible with those. Somebody give me the answer.

Makonero

I don't want to read or even skim this thread for fear of spoilers, but i just finished 999 not too long ago, and I'd like to get VLR. Unfortunately, I am an American living abroad in Europe for a year, so I can't buy it at the store. Any chance the game will show up as downloadable in the 3DS Eshop any time soon? I did a quick Google search, but couldn't find anything.

Ondore

I am in the Q Room, I beat the
dart puzzle
on the first try, but now there's another
hexagon
puzzle. And I am absolutely horrible with those. Somebody give me the answer.

1. Red triangle in the lowest row
2. Red triangle in the lowest row
3. Green hexagon in the middle row
4. Green hexagon in the middle row
5. Green hexagon in the highest row, in the middle

For the record, I used this FAQ to get through tricker puzzles. No spoilers.

also

Banned
I don't want to read or even skim this thread for fear of spoilers, but i just finished 999 not too long ago, and I'd like to get VLR. Unfortunately, I am an American living abroad in Europe for a year, so I can't buy it at the store. Any chance the game will show up as downloadable in the 3DS Eshop any time soon? I did a quick Google search, but couldn't find anything.

The game is up the EU eShop (40€/£30, 3746 blocks), so maybe Aksys will eventually put it up on the American one.

qcf x2

1. Red triangle in the lowest row
2. Red triangle in the lowest row
3. Green hexagon in the middle row
4. Green hexagon in the middle row
5. Green hexagon in the highest row, in the middle

For the record, I used this FAQ to get through tricker puzzles. No spoilers.

Thank you so much! this is my last "arc" so I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear. At least, I hope so. That type of puzzle is my biggest enemy.

Artemisia

Banned
I have returned from my banned state †††

More impressions.

Clover, that conniving little bitch

I'll listen to anything you say? ch... should have seen that shit coming a million miles away

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

I'm not hating tho. Props to her

Dio is the epitome of cunt. I mean... do you ever NOT pick betray? How can I ever fulfill my duty of ending his life if he continues to play that shit?

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Ath

My UK 3DS copy just arrived. I'm still a bit miffed about the removal of the English dub but whatever. Been looking forward to this game for a very long time. After the brilliance of 999, I can't wait to see what happens here!

Got my PAL version this morning on 3DS, i'm figuring it's best if I just don't save in puzzle rooms to avoid the potential bug that may occur? Seems solid so far if perhaps a little too similar to 999 in various ways but that's the angle they're going for no doubt.

m0t0k1

I was wondering this has released today so has anyone seen it in shops today? I dont really want to buy it in eshop unless i have too.

tha_devil

ye that helps, you can even skip some parts.

Anyways, i remembered the gold file code i got when it crashed. So i put it in and safe unlocked, but i didnt remember the unlock code so had to replay the room again :(

But got it now.

I wonder is the safe code random? Or is it different per system?

Now 17.30 hours in, got four endings.

GOTY

no other game this year kept me awake at night.

Still think 999 is superior, i loved the 2d characters and environments, i think it has more charm and the experience was more fresh.

Im very curious to see how all endings and the REAL ending will be.

PKrockin

Anyone else notice notes they've written many hours of playtime ago kind of degrade? The codes I jotted down look like low-quality scans of the clear writing it used to be.

hayejin

I've been playing from left most paths to right.

I think I'm mid way through with 12 hours burnt.

I just finished the Treament center but for the first time had to look up the solution online.

How was the diagram supposed to be used with the 4 clock times?

I got the Dio ending first (well, the game over path, then I went back and got this one). And... oh man, that ending was just great. A lot of crazy stuff that seemed way more informational than the endings in 999.

Is there a specific order people recommend going in like for 999? or does it matter? I'm kind of just going and trying to get the paths from left to right now, and already hit a "to be continued..." deal. I assume I should go back to this one later?

FSLink

Banned
I got the Dio ending first (well, the game over path, then I went back and got this one). And... oh man, that ending was just great. A lot of crazy stuff that seemed way more informational than the endings in 999.

Is there a specific order people recommend going in like for 999? or does it matter? I'm kind of just going and trying to get the paths from left to right now, and already hit a "to be continued..." deal. I assume I should go back to this one later?

I completed the story from left to right and that felt most natural to me.

I completed the story from left to right and that felt most natural to me.
Having just finished the game myself, I concur that starting with the left path can make for more surprises. This may or may not have been intentional, since the "locks" in the story start in numerical order from the left. That said, I also think it's possible that players may have been intended to start from the right since that's the path where it's explicitly compared to the Prisoners Dilemma in the beginning, and where
you're explicitly told that you have time-jump abilities.

Though like Trigger says, no matter where you start the story at, you are going to see a significant amount of material that will make you scratch your head until you explore your other options.

jiggles

Banned
I've seen two people on another forum complain that their UK 3DS versions are stuck on Easy, so it's impossible to collect the gold files. Can anyone else confirm?

mxgt

Banned
Finally came out here yesterday, I'm finding it extremely hard to put down.

Loving it so far, hope to avoid the save bug. If the quality keeps up like this for most of the game it might surpass Walking Dead as my GOTY.

FatCat

Well just got as far as could all to the left and nothing is clear
to be continued at ninth lion

not exactly sure who could be behind all this...first playthrough so i guess its normal

RedSwirl

I'm in the director's office, still on my first playthrough on basically the far left of the flowchart. Am I supposed to be able to
solve the computer password puzzle in here yet or just go ahead with the "To Be Continued" screen?

Trigger

I'm in the director's office, still on my first playthrough on basically the far left of the flowchart. Am I supposed to be able to
solve the computer password puzzle in here yet or just go ahead with the "To Be Continued" screen?

You'll get that info later. It was won't make sense until you see another scene later.

Top Bottom