• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Bought the PSN avatars to support the series. It's weird that the Zero avatar isn't included with the bundle though. Was that intentional, or an oversight?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Bought the PSN avatars to support the series. It's weird that the Zero avatar isn't included with the bundle though. Was that intentional, or an oversight?

Thanks for the support! You're only allowed 10 avatars per bundle unfortunately.

But he is available in the Nonary Game pack or individually :)

grim-tales

Even if the game comes over to the 'West' I'm nervous it won't come to the UK. It would seem weird if it doesnt but you never know...

aravuus

Even if the game comes over to the 'West' I'm nervous it won't come to the UK. It would seem weird if it doesnt but you never know...

Ah yeah, with 3DS having that fucking region lock bullshit and all, it does make me a bit concerned...

Oh well, it's still a long time away. No point in getting nervous about it now.

Thanks for the support! You're only allowed 10 avatars per bundle unfortunately.
Sony must of changed the bundle rules, some Capcom avatar bundles have way more than 10 avatars. Oh well, I just bought Zero individually, gotta have the whole set.

Are there gonna be any Zero Escape themes?

Wound up buying Sigma, Luna and Phi avatars as I could see those as being the only ones I'd use. I bought the game 4 times (Watches xD) so I didn't feel too bad not throwing in the extra 1.50 for the whole set ;)

I'd also like to know if you have any themes planned. It'd be so bought.

Jintor

I would really like to ask Uchikoshi if he thinks the suspense will be damaged by having the set-up be obvious. So much of 999 and VLR came from a complete lack of context for the Nonary Game...

According to Siliconera, Zero Escape 3 will take place between the events of 999 and VLR.

Which I think was expected.
I'm hoping 3 will go back to the gameplay style of the first one. I know VLR was made more streamlined for the US audience but it took the fun out of the "exploration" of different paths.

I liked playing the game over again to get the other paths, but the "pick where you want to be dropped off" approach was a bit formulaic.

grim-tales

I would really like to ask Uchikoshi if he thinks the suspense will be damaged by having the set-up be obvious. So much of 999 and VLR came from a complete lack of context for the Nonary Game...

I agree with this. Surely if we know when/where the game takes place a lot of the mystery is gone?
But maybe
there will be some other kind of twist as the big twist in 999/VLR was the game's location, so...

grim-tales

Also.
What do we call this game? A 'midquel'? Technichally its still a sequel if you take out the conscious-jumping stuff and say VLR takes place in 2028, the Mars mission test site was after that, in 2029... I think.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Also.
What do we call this game? A 'midquel'? Technichally its still a sequel if you take out the conscious-jumping stuff and say VLR takes place in 2028, the Mars mission test site was after that, in 2029... I think.

All the terms like prequel or sequel lost its meaning considering how
people can 'jump' all over the timelines
anyways, heh.

aravuus

Are you sure? I've completed every room on hard.

END SPOILERS

I've seen 'End... or Beginning?' but apparently there is more?

If you've seen the part with '?' character and no voice acting, you've seen it to the end.

It's possible you have elevator done on easy, check that.

CrazyDude

I only have to flow to complete,
Am I suppose to deactivate the number 3 bomb first or do the on with the computer in the directors room? I beat both k's and sigmas ending, but forgot the passwords.

Lehow

But he is available in the Nonary Game pack or individually :)

I want to support this game and buy it for 3DS(don't have a Vita), but the game is IMPOSSIBLE to find here in Brazil. There is any chance of this being published on eshop like in europe?

Thanks anyway.

I only have to flow to complete,
Am I suppose to deactivate the number 3 bomb first or do the on with the computer in the directors room? I beat both k's and sigmas ending, but forgot the passwords.

If you deactivate bombs first, you'll eventually reach Lock n.10. Luna's ending unlocks it, so it's better to just do it first!

If you want the passwords, you can jump to the endings and get them, they're marked on the flowchart. If you're lazy, there you go!
ID: GTFDM016
Password: MILKEVOLI

If you've seen the part with '?' character and no voice acting, you've seen it to the end.

It's possible you have elevator done on easy, check that.

So that's why I have no idea what people talk about when they mention ,,?'', lol. Not sure if I want to endure the rooms I did on easy again (I think one of them had a dice puzzle...) or if I'd just go straight to youtube...

So that's why I have no idea what people talk about when they mention ,,?'', lol. Not sure if I want to endure the rooms I did on easy again (I think one of them had a dice puzzle...) or if I'd just go straight to youtube...

It's easier than that. Just go into a room, put the easy password and go out. The End.
(Yeah, it's dumb... But it works!)

It's easier than that. Just go into a room, put the easy password and go out. The End.
(Yeah, it's dumb... But it works!)

Yeah, I did that. Anything specific you need for the secret ending afterwards? If not, all gold files are required after all because nothing happened.

edit: nvm, shit just appears without warning.

CrazyDude

Just beat the game, this games twist was more of a surprise to me then 999. I kind of figured 999's out ahead of time, but this was unexpected. They even set up Zero Escape 3 quite well.

I was close to being pissed at the game had
Sigma turned out to be a robot.

My mind is still coming to terms with everything.

Mistle

Nearing the end of the game finally. Been taking the slow but it's been one hell of a ride. I was initially a bit disappointed but it's really came into it's own.
Some of the hints I've been getting throughout the game are preparing me for a huge mind-blow, I can just sense it haha. All the little nods towards 999 and stuff... Pretty excited to finish it tonight hopefully (as I really want to start Luigi's Mansion, lol).

Got all endings except
Phi and the 10th lady (whose name and pass=jumpydoll was just revealed to me D: !!!)

EDIT: just realised I haven't got Luna's ending, so that means Kurashiki doesn't have an "ending", I'd assume

CrazyDude

Nearing the end of the game finally. Been taking the slow but it's been one hell of a ride. I was initially a bit disappointed but it's really came into it's own.
Some of the hints I've been getting throughout the game are preparing me for a huge mind-blow, I can just sense it haha. All the little nods towards 999 and stuff... Pretty excited to finish it tonight hopefully (as I really want to start Luigi's Mansion, lol).

Got all endings except
Phi and the 10th lady (whose name and pass=jumpydoll was just revealed to me D: !!!)

I see the real mindfuck is starting for you. Just got through the game today as well.

I am a bit confused about
What happened with Kyle and are we playing him next game are are playing as old sigma in young sigmas body or someone entirely new?

Kind of wish I didn't find this series out until the third game because it's going to be difficult for me to stay away from info. I must resist for my sake.

Can't believe I was hesitant in buying this, I thought this game would be short, but in the end it takes me 33 hours to beat.

Mistle

Just finished, and honestly feeling a bit disappointed with the ending :/ I think 999's amazing conclusion spoiled my expectations.

Still an awesome game, and I got sucked right in for the last few hours, but it never reached a climax for me.
I know this is partly because VLR sets up a sequel much more than 999 does, but still, I wish VLR had more of it's own self-contained satisfaction.

I should add that I really enjoyed the game though! Just not as much as 999. Some parts of VLR surpassed it, but on the whole it didn't grip me as much. After reading the Q&A, this section saddened me, as I preferred the mood of 999 and feel VLR would have benefited from it:

After the release of 999 we did marketing research in Japan for those who didn’t buy the game. Of the surveys that were taken there were people who stated that they refrained from purchasing because they felt like it would be too scary or gory.
As a result, the higher ups had given me orders to make the next installment more light. So with that I made the penalty of the Nonary Game “death with poison injection” as opposed to being blown up. And overall I tried to make the vibe less gloomy.
The Japanese version’s title is also made to be a bit of a pun. I also tried to make the conversation during the escape parts more light and witty.
And just between you and me…for the Japanese title, I’m honestly not happy with the higher up’s instruction on making it “light”. But if I don’t comply, they won’t allow me to make the game, so what can I do, right? This is the downside for a creator.
I heard in the movie industry there are cases where the production company will give orders and would even change an ending of a movie. (For example, “I Am Legend”). Please go ahead and think something of that sort happened with VLR.
So with that said, I’m sure you guys can conclude which mood I’d enjoy writing for more.

Just finished, and honestly feeling a bit disappointed with the ending :/ I think 999's amazing conclusion spoiled my expectations.

Still an awesome game, and I got sucked right in for the last few hours, but it never reached a climax for me.
I know this is partly because VLR sets up a sequel much more than 999 does, but still, I wish VLR had more of it's own self-contained satisfaction.
It's very Empire Strikes Back.

Mistle

Also, I've been avoiding listening to the english voice actors, so I didn't feel like I was missing out by having the PAL version.

Turns out that I much prefer the Japanese voices anyway! The way I read the text in my head, accompanied by the tone set by the Japanese voice actors, is so much better.

Also, I've been avoiding listening to the english voice actors, so I didn't feel like I was missing out by having the PAL version.

Turns out that I much prefer the Japanese voices anyway! The way I read the text in my head, accompanied by the tone set by the Japanese voice actors, is so much better.

It really depends on which you hear first. I like them both, just you gotta give credit to a good dub when you hear one, and VLR's is fantastic. Only two characters that are kinda meh in it.

CassSept

I just finished the game and well, where do I start...

NO SIGMA, YOU ARE THE ZEROS

MAI WAIFU IS A ROBOT ;_;

Right now I'm confused and my head is spinning, for now it seems like the plot was a brilliant mess but I need a while to digest it.

I guessed some of the twists ahead of time, while some genuinely surprised me. Setting being the moon was somewhat easy right from the beginning, but some were genuinely intriguing. I wanted anybody else to be a robot than Luna though, dammit. The ending completely destroyed me though, with all the time jumping and whatnot. I liked how they used 2D sprite of Akane though, hah.

I also liked how they mentioned Knox's Ten Commandments and then proceeded to pretty much destroy them one by one.

Now about the more technical details. Gameplay was obviously much much better. I think it sometimes stuttered on 3DS while scrolling through the room though. Puzzles were a definite stepup from the lackluster offering of 999. While there were some that went too far, they were generally satisfying. Felt as a much more integral part of game than in the first game, where they seemed more like an afterthought.

Time jumping and it's integration into gameplay was great, though if the exact same feature returns in ZE3 I hope they streamline it a bit. Hearing for the n-th time that OH MY GOD QUARK IS MISSING and WE HAVE SOME TIME LET'S LOOK FOR QUARK was borderline nauseating. Collapsing some of the timelines wouldn't harm the game too much and would make it slightly less confusing - besides Quark's constant running off after a while I was confused in which timeline Quark is missing, Quark is found, Quark is healed, Alice is missing, Alice is sedated, Alice committed blah-blah-blah.

Music, not much to say here as it's mostly reused from 999. Love especially that Chill and Rigour returned. VA was great.

Graphics, not much to say here, though I prefered 2D sprites to these basic, (mostly) bland models used in 999. They had more charm in my opinion, but to each it's own.

When it came to writing, I'm conflicted. Sadly due to the structure of the game we no longer these lengthy expositions - on the other hand, thanks to that we longer have to suffer through abominations like Snake's spaghetti intestines. Plot was slightly worse and sometimes jumping made the events have less impact - too many times when the plot gets going a lock is hit and you have to jump way back, thus diffusing the tension.

Sadly, cast was worse and much less memorable. I think that's my main complaint about VLR. Dio is as a magnificent bastard, but besides that, well. Alice is worse than Lotus, Clover is surprisingly more girly and kiddy than in 999, K is a significant stepdown from Seven - especially since it's a different character depending on the timeline, Quark is absent for most of the game so there's not much to him, Tenmyouji is annoying for most of the story, and so on. Sigma is bland with some pervy perv sprinkled on top. Luna is a nice subversion - the most humane character turns out to be a robot, hah. But overall it was a disappointment.

Oh, and Akane must be certifiably insane. Seriously.

grim-tales

I agree with you about:
The text repeating OH NOES QUARK IS SICK QUARK HAS COLLAPSED LET'S LOOK FOR QUARK... just really annoying.
Yeah, kind of ironic the most "human" character in the game was a robot, but I got the impression Luna had the soul/heart of a human, - remember what G-OLM said - if it walks/talks/looks/acts like a person, its probably a person. I thought Luna might be a robot when they put in the "robotic calm with a human face" line, a clue to Luna having a human heart (IMO) - beautiful :(

I figured as early as Dio's ending they could be on the moon or in space - I dont know why its just the setting seemed really "space/moon" like to me :D

CassSept

<spoilers>
I agree with you about:
The text repeating OH NOES QUARK IS SICK QUARK HAS COLLAPSED LET'S LOOK FOR QUARK... just really annoying.
Yeah, kind of ironic the most "human" character in the game was a robot, but I got the impression Luna had the soul/heart of a human, - remember what G-OLM said - if it walks/talks/looks/acts like a person, its probably a person. I thought Luna might be a robot when they put in the "robotic calm with a human face" line, a clue to Luna having a human heart (IMO) - beautiful :(

I figured as early as Dio's ending they could be on the moon or in space - I dont know why its just the setting seemed really "space/moon" like to me :D

I was so saddened by Luna's reveal, Luna end was heartbreaking.

About the moon, well, Luna's name, article about Lunar eclipse, that explosion in flashforwards also looked more like Moon surface with Earth in the background than another way around. And as the probability of it being in the distant future increased, so did it being set in outer space.

OK, now I have an important question to those who finished the game -
so I was looking through spoiler threads AND WHAT THE HELL THERE IS ANOTHER ENDING? I got all golden files and all, yet the game finished after "End or Beginning". Yet there apparently is "Another Time" beginning or something like that? What the hell? It's unlocked by completing all puzzles on hard, right? So, what happened? Is it because I didn't finish tangram puzzle 'cause I was frustrated by it and just grabbed the code from the Internet? I'm so confused.

EDIT -
Oh wow, I actually had one room completed on Easy, weird. That means more confusion for me, yay!

grim-tales

Luna's ending was heartbreaking and made me so sad - I was literally almost crying :( The best ending and some of the best writing in the game. I fell in love with Luna's warm personality through the game.
*Lots and lots of feels* :(
I hope the next game features emotion like that.

CassSept

Luna's ending was heartbreaking and made me so sad - I was literally almost crying :( The best ending and some of the best writing in the game. I fell in love with Luna's warm personality through the game.
*Lots and lots of feels* :(
I hope the next game features emotion like that.

Those feels :(

[End]
OK, I watched Another Time End and now I understand even less. Well that's just great.

Kumiorava

Neo Member
I just completed 999, and I think I'm going to order Virtue's Last Reward soon. This has probably been answered many times already during the thread, but anyway: which version would you guys recommend? The 3DS save corruption bug sounds pretty bad, but I've also heard some bad things about the controls in the Vita version (more specifically, the lack of a stylus for input). Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

grim-tales

BTW
Think we are going to play as someone new (confirmed via Twitter) in ZE3 but I did wonder if say we're playing as Young/College Junpei but he doesnt know who he is, or thinks he's someone else?

Something about K:
Did K/Kyle actually have amnesia or was he just pretending? And was he really only in the suit once when he killed Dio? The rest of the time it was Akane?

Ice Mage

Neo Member
And was he really only in the suit once when he killed Dio? The rest of the time it was Akane?

I thought it was only Akane in the timeline that leads towards the true end, and Kyle in all the others? I mean, she was kind of... dead in a few of the paths...
It's very possible that I'm just remembering it wrong though. If so, I apologize ==

Ice Mage

Neo Member
Oh, I'm just using "true end" to denote the ending the game wants you to ultimately reach (the one that leads to Sigma finding out the truth). From what I recall, it's made quite clear that all the other paths actually did happen, too, just in different timelines.

Top Bottom