• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Re: Ice 9
Didn't Alice say she was taking the piss when she told that story near the start? She was just an ordinary human with no Ice-9 in her body, and started laughing (to be honest I cant remember fully myself)

Yeah, but at that point she would be an ordinary human, she'd get Ice-9 after the ending and would be then sent back in time, for her to be found in Egypt, and she'd end on Titanic and Gigantic. And then disappear. And for a while there would be two Alices living in the same time, until the original Alice was kidnapped, frozen and sent to the moon.

Yeah, but at that point she would be an ordinary human, she'd get Ice-9 after the ending and would be then sent back in time, for her to be found in Egypt, and she'd end on Titanic and Gigantic. And then disappear. And for a while there would be two Alices living in the same time, until the original Alice was kidnapped, frozen and sent to the moon.

That seems like a possibility to me. I doubt they introduced Ice 9 without reason to use it later.

Spoiler to the end of VLR...
I don't remember all the details, but could it be possible that Akane has somehow perfected both time travel and cryogenics, and after the ending of VLR replaced Alice's blood with Ice-9, froze her, and then sent her to the past? For some reason several hundred years to the past, at least. Maybe Clover didn't want to do the same, or her body hasn't been found yet.
This is really cool theory. It would fit very nicely.

SappYoda

So I got the final ending
I think... That talk with Akane and ? is the ending? Because if so then I'm a bit dissapointed. This whole game feels like a cocktease for a possible sequel... The first game gave such a satisfiying ending that I didn't care about the cliffhanger. Still... I coldn't stop playing until the end. I got platinum and all, only lacking a few bad ends that I don't feel like doing. Good game. But I didn't like the ending. Don't get me wrong I liked all the misteries and all the twists.

Time to read 149 pages of spoilers.

By the way...
In the final scape room, the cursor color changed to magenta. Has that some kind of significance? It reminded me of the final puzzle from 999. Did I miss something if I played the Vita version?

Hela

Man, I'm on
Luna's
ending - so close, but yet so far.
I so anxious join the discussion and you guys are really tempting me with all those spoilers.

CrazyDude

I don't get why,
Setting up a sequel in this game is any more particularly worse then every other game/story with a planned sequel. Seems like a pointless complaint. It's like complaining about game of thrones ending because they didn't resolve everything in that one book.

I don't get why,
Setting up a sequel in this game is any more particularly worse then every other game/story with a planned sequel. Seems like a pointless complaint. It's like complaining about game of thrones ending because they didn't resolve everything in that one book.

I think it has to do with the fact that both endings in 999 and ZE aren't Good per se. Yeah, every one is alive and shit, but there's no Happily Ever After which is lets be honest a bit disappointing for a person who spent dozens of hours in both games. You feel emotionally attached to characters and just want a good life for them after all they've suffered. At least that's how I see the situation.

I think it has to do with the fact that both endings in 999 and ZE aren't Good per se. Yeah, every one is alive and shit, but there's no Happily Ever After which is lets be honest a bit disappointing for a person who spent dozens of hours in both games. You feel emotionally attached to characters and just want a good life for them after all they've suffered. At least that's how I see the situation.

That's why they're so good, especially Junpei's jumping off Team Esper there. Every ending but that went went badwrong, and that ending wasn't going to produce a safer, non-post-apocolyptic nightmare Earth.

I had a dream last night that they showed off a trailer for the third game. I actually remember it really clearly too. Slight spoilers?

It started out with a black screen and
June
saying in Japanese
“Can we finally be together?” Junpei
replies
“It’s time for us to be together!”
**a remix of the main themes begins** It then shows a blood splat and then begins to show the new characters art work. It shows
Sigma, June, Junpei, Lotus,
a new skinny/lanky character in a black suit with a pony tail looking really sharp, a new sweet/shy looking girl with short red hair.....that’s all I remember. Then it shows some environments that look much more darker and similar to the atmosphere of 999 as apposed to VLR.....it shows an environment that is heavily booby trapped with TNT stuck to walls, spikes coming up from the floor, a dungeon looking area with massive razor blades swinging. I also remember the hook of the game was that if you ‘lose’ the game, a creepy robot thing with a massive axe is automatically activated and hunts you down in the complex and kills you. It’s all very grim looking. Oh, and the game had 3D character models with 2D backgrounds.

So yeah, just thought I’d share what I dreamed about LOL. Hopefully I’m not far off – because it sounds freaking awesome to me!

I had a dream last night that they showed off a trailer for the third game. I actually remember it really clearly too. Slight spoilers?

It started out with a black screen and
June
saying in Japanese
“Can we finally be together?” Junpei
replies
“It’s time for us to be together!”
**a remix of the main themes begins** It then shows a blood splat and then begins to show the new characters art work. It shows
Sigma, June, Junpei, Lotus,
a new skinny/lanky character in a black suit with a pony tail looking really sharp, a new sweet/shy looking girl with short red hair.....that’s all I remember. Then it shows some environments that look much more darker and similar to the atmosphere of 999 as apposed to VLR.....it shows an environment that is heavily booby trapped with TNT stuck to walls, spikes coming up from the floor, a dungeon looking area with massive razor blades swinging. I also remember the hook of the game was that if you ‘lose’ the game, a creepy robot thing with a massive axe is automatically activated and hunts you down in the complex and kills you. It’s all very grim looking. Oh, and the game had 3D character models with 2D backgrounds.

So yeah, just thought I’d share what I dreamed about LOL. Hopefully I’m not far off – because it sounds freaking awesome to me!

I'm considering this to be the official trailer until proven otherwise. Why, you ask? Because
Morphogenetic Field hax, that's why!

-Horizon-

Since this is the official thread, I'll just ask this here then:
Is there any news about them putting VLR on the North American eshop? I know it's on the European one but I haven't heard anything for the US and its been a while since release.

Tricky, you're making me dream and I love you!

-Horizon-, it seems that Aksys doesn't really like Nintendo of America, or viceversa...
I don't think they'll ever release VLR in the e-shop!

RedSwirl

I just got back on this game but have still gotten no endings. I just gotta ask this question:
Are we on a space ship? Or a ship of any kind? Even a replica ship?

Edit:
So we are, in fact, not on Earth.

RedSwirl

Okay, I'm still sort of early-on. Haven't gotten to any endings, but I just to got to
K's autobiography

From all that I've seen so far, an overarching theme of the game seems to be
machines' failure to imitate man or something like that. There's this, the Gaulem's, the explanation of the Chinese Room, etc. I'm still going with my theory that one or more of the game players is themself a Gaulem, but may not know it themselves. I also think the participants who keep showing up dead in fact killed themselves (or at least their bodies did, or something).

I'm going even further in this direction now since the whole
"my body doesn't feel like my own" feeling being expressed by multiple characters.

DR2K

Banned
I managed to snatch a copy at a Gamestop not too far, came complete. How confused will I be if I skipped 999?

Jintor

Hmmm... I think you'll be missing on a few ground rule concepts that will prove problematic for a bit, but you should be able to power through. More to the point, though, you will be depriving yourself of an incredible experience.

I managed to snatch a copy at a Gamestop not too far, came complete. How confused will I be if I skipped 999?
You won't be confused, but certain reveals/twists are more fun if you have played 999.

That said, play 999 first, if possible. I can't imagine 999 being as incredible after finishing VLR.

wouwie

Just started playing this game and i'm not sure if i was ready for this :) I had heard good things about this game and i like adventure/puzzle games but never got around to buying this. Since i got it on PS+, i decided to check it out.

I'm still early in the game but it got me hooked. It seems like a facinating, weird and interesting game. I have no background knowledge on this game or franchise so it's all rather new for me.

One thing that i noticed straight away is that i really like the soundtrack. I've listened to a few tunes from the start of the game on Youtube and i think they are great. Pity that the soundtrack isn't on iTunes or i would have bought it straight away.

Anyway, i'm curious to see and play more of this fascinating game.

Just started playing this game and i'm not sure if i was ready for this :) I had heard good things about this game and i like adventure/puzzle games but never got around to buying this. Since i got it on PS+, i decided to check it out.

I'm still early in the game but it got me hooked. It seems like a facinating, weird and interesting game. I have no background knowledge on this game or franchise so it's all rather new for me.

One thing that i noticed straight away is that i really like the soundtrack. I've listened to a few tunes from the start of the game on Youtube and i think they are great. Pity that the soundtrack isn't on iTunes or i would have bought it straight away.

Anyway, i'm curious to see and play more of this fascinating game.

Only a very select group of people actually are. Going in blind was great for me.

see5harp

Went in blind with all of the intention of enjoying this game but I'm not. I've seen like 3 endings not including the incredibly boring game over sequences. I don't think the voice acting, writing, puzzles or anything in this game is great.

EDIT: Okay Sigma end is hilarious.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Been plugging away, I have most of the first and second tree done - just the parts where there is a "lock" and the
red lion password terminal
remain in those trees. How do the locks work? Can I just go back there after completing most of the 3rd tree?

I feel guilty because I had to look up the solution to the
dice puzzle in the Archives - didn't realize that you start counting from "1" every time you move a space
. So far the puzzles definitely seem more challenging than 999. But there hasn't been anything mindblowing in the story... yet... I'm dying to see how everything ties together, being a veteran of 999 and all its endings.

Saprol

Been plugging away, I have most of the first and second tree done - just the parts where there is a "lock" and the
red lion password terminal
remain in those trees. How do the locks work? Can I just go back there after completing most of the 3rd tree?

Locks should turn green when you've seen the right scenes to progress, so just keep on going through stuff. :)

So far the puzzles definitely seem more challenging than 999. But there hasn't been anything mindblowing in the story... yet... I'm dying to see how everything ties together, being a veteran of 999 and all its endings.

353unx.jpg

wouwie

At some point in the security room, you need to form a sentence but not every word is needed. It says that those not needed should be erased. But how do you erase words? I tried everything. Is this also part of the puzzle or is it just something i'm not seeing?

Saprol

At some point in the security room, you need to form a sentence but not every word is needed. It says that those not needed should be erased. But how do you erase words? I tried everything. Is this also part of the puzzle or is it just something i'm not seeing?

Kill the power to the screens.

wouwie

Kill the power to the screens.

Ah, it was part of the puzzle then. I was convinced it was a gesture i needed to do. Shame as i hoped to solve the game without any help. But i'm not sure i would have found that one if i had known it was part of the puzzle.

Frost_Ace

Holy shit, that's a good theory.

RedSwirl

Wait, so now Sigma is explicitly aware of the
probability space that he's manipulating? First time that's happened in the time I've been playing the game, and I haven't had to use any information from one path to influence another yet.

wouwie

At this point, i think i need to know a bit more of the structure of the game. I was just sent back to the beginning of the game and i'm not sure what it means and how i should proceed. I'm aware of the flow chart and the different routes that one can take depending on the choices made but i was under the impression that each route leads to an end? Can someone give a spoiler free quick explanation? I don't want to google since i might run into big spoilers that ruin the game.

RedSwirl

At this point, i think i need to know a bit more of the structure of the game. I was just sent back to the beginning of the game and i'm not sure what it means and how i should proceed. I'm aware of the flow chart and the different routes that one can take depending on the choices made but i was under the impression that each route leads to an end? Can someone give a spoiler free quick explanation? I don't want to google since i might run into big spoilers that ruin the game.

I've been playing this game for almost 20 hours and have also gotten no endings, only "to be continued" messages.

I did take a bit of a peek at a completed flowchart and found that only two of the endings (out of the nine you need to complete the game) don't require some kind of information or item from another path. You just have to keep plugging away at the paths until you either get one of those endings or get what you need to go back into another path and reach that ending.

Jintor

Once you get an ending you'll unlock certain squares - they'll turn green on the map if you ran into them before or you'll just flow right past it if not. From there endings will cascade until you reach the 'true end'

Sorian

Banned
Once you get an ending you'll unlock certain squares - they'll turn green on the map if you ran into them before or you'll just flow right past it if not. From there endings will cascade until you reach the 'true end'

There is no end,
there is only a beginning

RedSwirl

Son of a bitch. I get past one "to be continued" lock only to run into another on the sale flow line.
I know Phi's ending requires you to get everyone else's first,
but goddamn.

Himself

I forget, is there some sort of branching diagram thing that lets you jump to certain parts in 999 like in this game? Or how tedious is it to replay 999? I only played it once and if it has something like VLR's option to jump to any point in the story I'd like to play more 999.

RedSwirl

Well shit. One of the first posts in this thread speculated that
Tenmyouji = Junpei and Old Dead Lady = Akane, but I called bullshit.
I guess the clues I've seen up until now pretty much confirm it. Nobody's come out and said it outright but the evidence at this point is overwhelming. I've seen
the lady's body Tenmyouji's reaction to seeing the dead body, Tenmyouji's picture of Akane, the knife labled "Myrmidons," Alice's explanation of her past, and Dio's confession to having killed the old lady in order to take her place in the game while under duress.

Now I'm just trying to work out who in the party is
time-displaced from everyone else. Most likely Sigma, Clover, and Alice. I'm pretty sure this game actually takes place decades after 999 (30-40 years maybe?). Where I'm at, only the three aforementioned characters have confirmed they were abducted in 2028. I also got to the part where Tenmyouji said three of the characters were probably in cryosleep for an unspecified amount of time. No one else has noted when they were abducted or what year they even think it is, though Phi expressed surprise upon reading a note marked with the year 2038, suggesting she was abducted before then. Also, if Tenmyouji = Junpei, then why didn't he recognize Clover? Maybe he did but just hasn't spoken up. I also got to another part where he explained what happened with the Radical-6 outbreak.

Am I even remotely close here?

Also, I'm nearing 25 hours on this game and have gotten no endings.

DaBoss

I guess the clues I've seen up until now pretty much confirm it. Nobody's come out and said it outright but the evidence at this point is overwhelming.

time-displaced from everyone else. Most likely Sigma, Clover, and Alice. I'm pretty sure this game actually takes place decades after 999 (30-40 years maybe?). Where I'm at, only the three aforementioned characters have confirmed they were abducted in 2028. I also got to the part where Tenmyouji said three of the characters were probably in cryosleep for an unspecified amount of time. No one else has noted when they were abducted or what year they even think it is, though Phi expressed surprise upon reading a note marked with the year 2038, suggesting she was abducted before then. Also, if Tenmyouji = Junpei, then why didn't he recognize Clover? Maybe he did but just hasn't spoken up. I also got to another part where he explained what happened with the Radical-6 outbreak.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not gonna tell you. :p

I guess the clues I've seen up until now pretty much confirm it. Nobody's come out and said it outright but the evidence at this point is overwhelming.

Yes. No. Most probably. Not possibly. Unbelievably likely. Abhorrently unlikely. You're on the mark. You're way off base. You're more right than wrong. You're more wrong than right.

Maybe if you carry the 1.

Top Bottom