• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

CrazyDude

OK, I understand. ^^ Thank you.
That kinda makes 999's bad endings even worse - maybe they all happened too! :(

It is bad for Junpei's living in those timelines but not the one we are playing as since his consciousness jumps around until the true ending.

CassSept

BTW
Think we are going to play as someone new (confirmed via Twitter) in ZE3 but I did wonder if say we're playing as Young/College Junpei but he doesnt know who he is, or thinks he's someone else?

Something about K:
Did K/Kyle actually have amnesia or was he just pretending? And was he really only in the suit once when he killed Dio? The rest of the time it was Akane?

Well as said before, I believe Akane was only in K's armor in the rightmost timeline, where Sigma and Phi pair up with Alice. In others she is dead and it's Kyle in the armor.

His amnesia, well, that's tricky. I'd go for faking it for the game, but I can't be sure.

I think the hero of ZE3 will be someone completely new, maybe only inhabited by ? or whatever.

OK, I understand. ^^ Thank you.
That kinda makes 999's bad endings even worse - maybe they all happened too! :(

Well, they did, that was kinda a point :(

Jintor

All of it. None of it. Bits of it.

Play on and see.

Any answer I could give you would be a spoiler so what did you expect

Gregorn

All of it. None of it. Bits of it.

Play on and see.

Any answer I could give you would be a spoiler so what did you expect

Yeah, I don't know why I asked...

I'm just annoyed I saw it, because now it's all I'm thinking about whenever they say anything.

aravuus

Yeah, I don't know why I asked...

I'm just annoyed I saw it, because now it's all I'm thinking about whenever they say anything.

If you got spoiled, you'll appreciate the foreshadowing more. If you got fakespoiled, the revelation will have an even bigger impact.

I personally have recent experience on both so really, it's true. I knew what happens in Bioshock Infinite beforehand, and it made me enjoy, no, LOVE the foreshadowing. I thought I knew who Zero is in VLR and when I found out, it was a bigger surprise than it would have been had I known nothing.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well as said before, I believe Akane was only in K's armor in the rightmost timeline, where Sigma and Phi pair up with Alice. In others she is dead and it's Kyle in the armor.

His amnesia, well, that's tricky. I'd go for faking it for the game, but I can't be sure.

I think the hero of ZE3 will be someone completely new, maybe only inhabited by ? or whatever.

Well, they did, that was kinda a point :(

Didn't
Akane say that K really had amnesia due to having a huge amount of the sedative injected
?

CassSept

Didn't
Akane say that K really had amnesia due to having a huge amount of the sedative injected
?

True, over the weekend I replayed some of the scenes and actually caught that part. I might have forgotten it among information overload at the time.

How much of a spoiler is it when I know that Alice is the princess from the secret ending of 999 before playing VLR?
Got the game yesterday and wanted to refresh my memory about what happens at the true ending of 999 and accidently clicked on the Alice/Allice article on the zeroescape wikia page and read the first sentence where it says that she is in the VLR game.
I'm around 3 hours into the game and I think I somehow ruined the game for me knowing that :(.

tumblr_m4rrd0U3NS1r05tymo1_250.jpg

I've been playing 999 for a couple of evenings. and I'm really liking it. I haven't seen an ending yet, and the plot has been pretty interesting, even after being spoiled by VLR. Controls are bit worse, and puzzles not quite as good (or hard), but other than that it's still very good.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't think this is of any importance, but I have just started 999, so I don't know about
a princess
. It doesn't seem to play any big role in VLR anyway.

Lusankya

How much of a spoiler is it when I know that Alice is the princess from the secret ending of 999 before playing VLR?
Got the game yesterday and wanted to refresh my memory about what happens at the true ending of 999 and accidently clicked on the Alice/Allice article on the zeroescape wikia page and read the first sentence where it says that she is in the VLR game.
I'm around 3 hours into the game and I think I somehow ruined the game for me knowing that :(.

It's not a spoiler at all.
Also
she
isn't a
princess
anyway.

SappYoda

I'm starting this.

I hope
Clover doesn't kill me again for the first ending lol

Truth is the first thing I got is
a blocked path wtf
i hope its not common.

grim-tales

RSG told me (via Twitter) that bringing ZE3 to the UK is "definitely something they want to be involved in" though its too early to say anything for sure yet.

Lusankya

RSG told me (via Twitter) that bringing ZE3 to the UK is "definitely something they want to be involved in" though its too early to say anything for sure yet.

So I guess that means the sales in the EU were according to their expectations.
While I did buy the US Vita version back in October, I also bought the EU 3DS version just to support them (although I wasn't happy that there was such a delay in Germany).

grim-tales

Yeah, it probably means it sold as many as was expected at least (or possibly more, I don't know?)
I'd like to have an option of original Japanese track and US dub this time please.

Omikaru

I tried playing the UK version of Virtue's Last Reward which I got via PS+ last night. I can't do it. The English dub was so good, I just can't do the Japanese one (more often than not, it's the English dub that's insufferable). The fact that RSG dropped it, and then spun it as "keeping it as authentic to the original Japanese version" was a crime. A goddamn crime.

So glad I imported from the US with this one.

grim-tales

Yeah, it did seem a shame - from what I heard of the US dub on Youtube, it was really very good (Luna and Zero III were excellent). I hope this is rectified next time, as I cant afford the expense of a US 3DS (or Vita) JUST for the dub.

Jintor

Well, they probably couldn't afford licencing the english audio for all the countries in PAL or whatever. NA release has it easier. Dunno though, bth

Playing game at the moment. God, I want to punch the person who decided to make 'travels' from location to location unskippable. Also Sigma's "three...two...one" at the end of each escape is driving me crazy. This way of prolonging the gameplay time is very cheap. Love the story though.

grim-tales

Yeah the 3.. 2... 1... stuff started to annoy me after a while, but
Do you know something, I've just wondered right this second, if thats foreshadowing/a clue as to where they are, because he always does a countdown and after Dio's ending I wondered if they were on the Moon, so maybe its a clue to the gang being in space etc

SappYoda

Damn.
That big Zero ballon in the PEC room got me.

Clover tried to seduce me, lol, fat chance. I also got my first ending, I got killed by Phi... I guess... I donno. That ending kinda sucked.

Stop speaking in spoilers, dammit! D: I want to highlight and read them but since I'm 13% through...

Finally listened Clover's story about her
previous abductions
. It's kinda weird that she hid this from everyone. Like, guys, come on, I think it's quite important for people to know this kind of stuff.

Also I love how sinisterely wicked the story is. In 999 you had to 'end' game at least 1 time. There I've 'finished' it like 8 times already.

Just finished 999, got all the endings. All the puzzles were quite easy compared to to VLR, I didn't have to cheat even once during the puzzles, unlike VLR, where I had to google a thing or two. I got pissed off after getting the same ending twice in a row even after picking different doors, and decided to rely on a guide for getting all the endings. Playing the same rooms over and over did get a bit boring, and having to fast forward tens of minutes of dialogue many times over.

I'd say VLR improved on all things that were problematic in 999, and if Zero Escape 3 manages the same, it's going to be amazing. Well, one thing where 999 was better was that it was a bit more believable. The virus and eye things in VLR just reguired too much suspension of belief.

SappYoda

I finally found
the credits after going by many different paths.

Also (Spoiler) : This

Clover ending get! RIP Lord hoppington.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Total newcomer to this, literally started playing it two days ago and I've never played 999. Just made it up to the first "....to be continued" screen and I have two questions.

1. Looking at the progression tree the very first room in the Elevator says it is on Easy, will this affect the outcome of completing it on hard if I leave it on Easy or can it not be changed? I would like to go back and do that room as I only have 6/8 archives.
  2. From where I am currently at, do I click the next part to carry on or am I supposed to go back and do a branching section?

Cheers

Total newcomer to this, literally started playing it two days ago and I've never played 999. Just made it up to the first "....to be continued" screen and I have two questions.

1. Looking at the progression tree the very first room in the Elevator says it is on Easy, will this affect the outcome of completing it on hard if I leave it on Easy or can it not be changed? I would like to go back and do that room as I only have 6/8 archives.
  2. From where I am currently at, do I click the next part to carry on or am I supposed to go back and do a branching section?

Cheers

1) You can replay it on hard and it is updated to the tree. Actually you can just open the safe with the old password and it updates to hard... You don't need to redo the whole puzzle.

2) You can go back to any branching section you want and choose different path than before...

I finally found
the credits after going by many different paths.

I know that feel. Found my first truish ending just this night, after 21 hours of playing. God this game is amazing.

Quick question for those who finished the game: is old lady =
June
? Y / N. Please, I hope she's not.

I know that feel. Found my first truish ending just this night, after 21 hours of playing. God this game is amazing.

Quick question for those who finished the game: is old lady =
June
? Y / N. Please, I hope she's not.

This is a difficult question and the answer is pretty spoilerish and you'll eventually find out in the game. But if you want it, there you go!

Y

Ok, if it's spoilerish
I found her ID btw
I guess I can wait a bit more without looking under the spoiler. Boy, this game can't cease to entertain me. Just 2 more endings...

PKrockin

Stop speaking in spoilers, dammit! D: I want to highlight and read them but since I'm 13% through...

Finally listened Clover's story about her
previous abductions
. It's kinda weird that she hid this from everyone. Like, guys, come on, I think it's quite important for people to know this kind of stuff.

Also I love how sinisterely wicked the story is. In 999 you had to 'end' game at least 1 time. There I've 'finished' it like 8 times already.

999 spoiler:
In 999 she hid that she was abducted and involved in another nonary game as a kid, too.

999 spoiler:
In 999 she hid that she was abducted and involved in another nonary game as a kid, too.

I believe Snake
woke up with a letter in his pocket in which Zero prohibited him from telling others about previous Nonary Game

Also why the hell Clover is smiling all the time? Even in scenes with
Alice dead

edit: I remember there was one of the devs visiting 999 threads. Where is he now? I want to ask him to punch the guy who decided to make map movement unskippable. This stuff is irritating.

edit: Luna! I knew
she's a robot! I knew it! Finally it is making sense now.

oh man this must be the most spoiler warning'd thread ever :D

anyhoo, just started the game via PS+ and got to this "TO BE CONTINUED..." phase in the game and then it just restarts the game? is this one of the "bad endings"? i cant continue because i did something wrong?

i thought this was a game i play the way i do and eventually get to an ending, now it just stops midgame and forces me to restart/skip to a previous chapter? seems abit silly, why not just play out till gameover like Heavy Rain/Walking Dead.

oh man this must be the most spoiler warning'd thread ever :D

anyhoo, just started the game via PS+ and got to this "TO BE CONTINUED..." phase in the game and then it just restarts the game? is this one of the "bad endings"? i cant continue because i did something wrong?

Nah, you just don't know enough to continue playing. Save the game and start exploring other ways of walking through (doors / AB Game). I think you'll figure out the rest eventually.

PKrockin

This game is like Metroid. When you hit a dead end you have to backtrack, choose another door, and find the Wave Beam before you're able to continue.

Aaaand done. 28 hours of portable gameplay, damn Japanese, I love them. Feels are all over me. I don't really see how they will impress me with ZE3, but I have no doubts they will do it fabulous.

Teggy

So, is VLR significantly different than 999? I played through 999 recently, and after getting a bad ending I used a guide to start doing the playthroughs I would need to get the good ending. After a little while I decided to just watch the 2nd to last ending on YouTube, which turned out to be well over an hour of "cutscenes". After that I read about the true ending, which I thought was very interesting, but I to be honest I would have rather seen it as an anime or read it as a book, since the puzzles weren't really anything special.

So does VLR have better gameplay such that I'm likely to like it better, or is it really just more of the same?

emag

So, is VLR significantly different than 999? I played through 999 recently, and after getting a bad ending I used a guide to start doing the playthroughs I would need to get the good ending. After a little while I decided to just watch the 2nd to last ending on YouTube, which turned out to be well over an hour of "cutscenes". After that I read about the true ending, which I thought was very interesting, but I to be honest I would have rather seen it as an anime or read it as a book, since the puzzles weren't really anything special.

So does VLR have better gameplay such that I'm likely to like it better, or is it really just more of the same?

More of the same. The puzzles are arguably better, but they're still terribly simple and tedious. No one in their right mind would recommend VLR for its "gameplay."

Spoiler to the end of VLR...
I don't remember all the details, but could it be possible that Akane has somehow perfected both time travel and cryogenics, and after the ending of VLR replaced Alice's blood with Ice-9, froze her, and then sent her to the past? For some reason several hundred years to the past, at least. Maybe Clover didn't want to do the same, or her body hasn't been found yet.

grim-tales

Re: Ice 9
Didn't Alice say she was taking the piss when she told that story near the start? She was just an ordinary human with no Ice-9 in her body, and started laughing (to be honest I cant remember fully myself)

Top Bottom