• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Dawg

Not sure if this applies to the 3DS version as well (I play on Vita), but is it normal that the games gets a little blurry/pixely when you move around (left/right etc) in puzzle rooms? Is it because the game is 30fps?

Maybe it's just my eyes though, but this is the game where I notice it the most on my vita.

Himself

Something weird happened. Im moving along through my first play through and i get about 2/3 of the way down the path im going down and all of a sudden during one of the novel sections I get a black screen that says TO BE CONTINUED... and it loops me back to the beginning of the game. What the fuck happened? Is my game bugged or some shit? Or did i just waste 7 hours poking around this bland warehouse without a single interesting plot/story revelation and not get some sort of ending? Playing on Vita.

Something weird happened. Im moving along through my first play through and i get about 2/3 of the way down the path im going down and all of a sudden get a black screen that says TO BE CONTINUED... and it loops me back to the beginning of the game. What the fuck happened? Is my game bugged or some shit? Playing on Vita.

Nope, you have to play different path first before you can continue that path.

Himself

Nope, you have to play different path first before you can continue that path.

Argh what a pain in the ass. Nothing interesting happened in those seven hours that makes me want to spend more time with the game. Aside from the puzzles, this game is so bland compared to 999.

Argh what a pain in the ass. Nothing interesting happened in those seven hours that makes me want to spend more time with the game. Aside from the puzzles, this game is so bland compared to 999.

Well, with this game you don't need play through same scenes or puzzles again, you can jump straight to any scene you want and continue there. And you only need to play each puzzle once, every choice you make leads you to a different puzzle. And maybe the game gets better for you the more you play, some of the paths were clearly less interesting than others...

Jintor

If you played 999 you know there's gold at the end of the road. Although I appreciate the setting in VLR is waaaaaaaaay more boring than the rad-ass titanic (lol) and there's not nearly as great a sense of fear and tension. Hopefully Uchikoshi's bosses ease up on him next time around and let him freak us the fuck out.

Lusankya

I can't see how VLR's setting is "way more boring" than 999. The AB game alone is much more interesting than anything 999 had to offer and despite the premise of a sinking ship and stuff there never was a sense of urgency while playing 999.

Ok, now I sound like I didn't like 999. :( I swear I love it.

Jintor

It wasn't so much urgency... I just always felt there was a more palpable sense of dread in 999, probably at least partially because of the way the game handled death right off the bat.

Himself

The opening hours of 999 felt intriguing and dangerous. So far, VLR has elicited none of this for me. And in the 7 hours I've played nothing about any of the characters is interesting, and the setting is bland. I'm sure there's more to both than meets the eye, but after hitting that dead end I feel very little reasoin to keep dicking around with something so unrewarding. Maybe i'll come back around.

JEKKI

I've been playing this game!

like 20 hours in already,

it's awesome!!

my favorite character is Tony!!

Tony Gaku!!

I'm playing in Japanese and all the others do is talk about him!

no idea who he is tho, I'm thinking that he's
Zero

The opening hours of 999 felt intriguing and dangerous. So far, VLR has elicited none of this for me. And in the 7 hours I've played nothing about any of the characters is interesting, and the setting is bland. I'm sure there's more to both than meets the eye, but after hitting that dead end I feel very little reasoin to keep dicking around with something so unrewarding. Maybe i'll come back around.

If you have virtue, you'll eventually be rewarded!

Gotten 2 of the ''real endings'' and pretty much (more than?) half of the flowchart is revealed so I guess I'll get barrage of endings on the latter half :lol I wonder if it would have been any different if I did stuff in different order. To be fair I prefer it this way so the payoff should be better than if I just got all the better endings when possible and had a bunch of shit endings for payoff.

Dio is a great character in just how unlikeable he is. What a dick and he doesn't even try to hide it :lol. Almost reminds me of Joffrey in GOT.

I don't think he has voted ''ally'' friggin once for me :lol

grim-tales

I don't know, Dio is a good badass but IMO kinda disappointing in that he doesnt even try to hide the fact that he's a dick - (999 Spoilers)
I mean at least Ace started off jolly, happy so it was a shock he was the villain buthemadeanawesomevillan :D

I don't know, Dio is a good badass but IMO kinda disappointing in that he doesnt even try to hide the fact that he's a dick - (999 Spoilers)
I mean at least Ace started off jolly, happy so it was a shock he was the villain buthemadeanawesomevillan :D

I think it's funny when pretty much every character in 999 and VLR is set up as the kind that you can't really truly trust in the end but Dio is the only one you can trust to do the shittiest things to you and everyone else every chance he gets and be a dick about it even when it doesn't make sense :lol. He pretty much is the only character in the entire series that is introduced from the start as a dude you can pretty much trust to be untrustworthy :lol. To be honest he is so much so that he is pretty unbelieveable as a character.

Anyway,
I'm a lil dissapointed that I just got the ending where by betraying Quark you get 9 points but the other guys prevent you from escaping. LAAAAME! I was looking foreward to some payback since I had seen prolly 4-5 endings already where those assholes ditch me and successfully escape :(

grim-tales

I agree, when I had that ending, I wanted to escape and couldnt understand what was wrong, I mean I had 9 points - right???

I don't get it? :s

OT but on another board I read of another VN/adventure coming to the Eshop very soon - its called Starship Damrey:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/641334-zero-escape-virtues-last-reward/66173538

Could be interesting! :D

I think he's referring to "tonikaku", which is something that in japanese means like "anyway", and they use it a lot in the game!
As for Starship Damrey, as I wrote on Gamefaqs, I'll buy it blindly and see if it's good for myself!

grim-tales

Hope it comes to the EU Eshop soon (thought it was due on the 16th?)
Its setting does kinda remind me of 999/VLR in some ways, with the cold sleep pods, one room looked like the Gaulem Bay of VLR or 999's hospital room

The plot itself really reminds me of Theresia (DS game, US only), so I expect a similar kind of game.
If you haven't played it, give it a go! While the interface is painfully dated and uncomfortable, the plot is pretty good and it has its creepy moments.

Dawg

i got to a part in the director room where i need a pass. This is my second stop after K tricked me an escaped. How will I know when i have the pass? will it be added to pass or do i need to write something down somewhere?

i got to a part in the director room where i need a pass. This is my second stop after K tricked me an escaped. How will I know when i have the pass? will it be added to pass or do i need to write something down somewhere?
You'll know when you get it. It won't be added to your pass section, so yeah, you'll need to write it down. If you forget though, the event where you get the keys will be marked on the flow chart in the description somewhere.

grim-tales

The plot itself really reminds me of Theresia (DS game, US only), so I expect a similar kind of game.
If you haven't played it, give it a go! While the interface is painfully dated and uncomfortable, the plot is pretty good and it has its creepy moments.

I have Theresia but havent really started it yet :eek:

Dawg

I just noticed something...

upon arriving at the laboratory puzzle, Sigma made a cat pun and then said it was a small tic of him since he was young. I couldn't help thinking of the rabbit AI and the puns. Sigma's pun was only mentioned briefly, which leads me to think he has a connection to this all. But he was abducted... and while the pun was only a detail for the other people with Sigma, I can't help but feel the game did it on purpose to make me question Sigma. It probably means nothing.

Goddamn, this game. It makes me question every character all the time. While going through dialogs, I can't help but think of about a hundred possible endings and at who zero is and why character x said y and who killed that guy and... damn, haven't been hooked to a videogame story like this in years. I hope vita will get a sequel. Might get 999 on ds when I buy my 3ds for pokemon X

I've only got Dio's ending atm, but I feel like the second branch of the upper three branches of the jumping area is filled with way more info. Is this normal? When I took the left path after elevator, Quark disappeared quite fast and people died quicker as well... I think. I knew nothing about most people as well. I have most of the left branch now and took the middle. By now, I already know about clover and her previous two games (999 and?) And there's stuff like quark attempting suicide and stuff. Let's say I took the middle branch first, would it still happen that way? I mean: are the paths you take already set or do they change according to what you pick? Like, would quark sleep in the middle branch if I took that way first like the left branch? Probably not... but I feel like I'm getting more useful information in the middle branch at this point.

Also: I just realized you can enable English voice-actors? I've been playing with Japanese voices / English text the entire game so far lol. I feel like I can't change now, since I've gotten used to their voices. It's like part of their original personality would change.

KiraFA37

Got the game on release, only started playing it this week. So far I'm amazed, flabbergasted and curious at the same time. Haven't reached any ending yet, but I love how the game handles the different storylines. Especially when
I betrayed Tenyoldy? and Sigma mentioned he should have picked betray, as in when I picked ally.
I have read some of the plot online already, but only just enough to make me notice and appreciate the finer details more.

*sigh* this fuckin game. Just finished it (platinumed yay) and it's so good and so bad at the same time. I just can't.

This game has pretty much exact same problems as 999 (with the exeption of much better skipping). Like
some of the twists you see coming from a mile away like Tenmyouji being Junpei/old woman being Akane right after the Directors room thingy, Sigma being the old Zero (like wtf there were few things pointing WAYYY too much to this, especially the super obvious hiding of his face and Dio ect. calling him ''senile old bastard''. GEE I WONDER WHAT THE TWIST MIGHT BE. And what sense does it make for Clover/Alice being surprised about Junpei+being in the future if he apparently fuckin told them who he was at the fuckin beginning.

There were good ones too tho like being on the moon with the hints actually being more subtle and K armor used literally as Schrödinger's Cat box. Also Luna being the Gaulem while using Phi and Sigma as red herrings.

The biggest problem for me perhaps is that the science stuff that comes at the end just isn't as interesting as the mystery story revolving around the characters. And I just don't get what good the Zeros master plan of stopping Radical 6 is. I mean yeah, I kinda understand but even the game states that it pretty much just creates a new timeline without really changing the past. I'm afraid to even think about some of the jumping cause there probably is a million paradoxes or something.

Also I get how the timers of the bracelets and systems would be adjusted for ''radical 6 time'' but how did Dios bombs work in the same manner?

The game also is little too long I think. It could have benefitted for being a little more compact story like 999.

CassSept

There were good ones too tho like being on the moon with the hints actually being more subtle and K armor used literally as Schrödinger's Cat box. Also Luna being the Gaulem while using Phi and Sigma as red herrings.

Also I get how the timers of the bracelets and systems would be adjusted for ''radical 6 time'' but how did Dios bombs work in the same manner?

It was explained either in the game itself or writer Q&A that Akane changed the timers while Dio was asleep.

Luna ;_; I know this series keeps on subverting tropes but really, the most human character, the most emphatic person turning out to be a robot... man, it's still heart-wrenching

Shantom

This game has pretty much exact same problems as 999 (with the exeption of much better skipping). Like
some of the twists you see coming from a mile away like Tenmyouji being Junpei/old woman being Akane right after the Directors room thingy,

To me that was the reveal of the twist, and it made the
Director's Room
my favourite room in the game. It may not be explicity stated, but I think that makes it an even better reveal.

Oh BTW:
Why the fuck would Zero show himself in a hologram revealing his appearance (Sigma). I mean what the fuck is the point? Just for shits and giggles if the others saw it, Alice starting to torture him for information? Hilarious.

Lusankya

Oh BTW:
Why the fuck would Zero show himself in a hologram revealing his appearance (Sigma). I mean what the fuck is the point? Just for shits and giggles if the others saw it, Alice starting to torture him for information? Hilarious.

Obviously they don't recognize him as Sigma.

Sorry, I just totally forgot how Sigma actually looked like. My bad, I always think of him as the young Sigma. But wasn't Sigma the only one that actually saw the hologram?

Yes but my point was that there was absolutely no point in showing himself+at least as far as we know it was only a coinsidence that Tenmyouji and Quark didn't see it. Of course it could be AI controlled and only show the message if Sigma was in the room but that would be all kinds of stupid if the only real purpose of it was to give the password for the bomb (how the fuck did he even know it...)

grim-tales

If Ten didnt see it how did he know that Old Sigma was Zero as the hologram told Sigma he would be penalised if he told anyone he had seen him?

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
hey i know about the save bug, but i just had the game crash on me... was heading into the PEC (?) room looking for the kid.... this normal?

Sorian

Banned
hey i know about the save bug, but i just had the game crash on me... was heading into the PEC (?) room looking for the kid.... this normal?

That is the room where the bug is at its worst. Save before starting the puzzle and just keep trying till you get through. Clear sailing after that place (that room deleted my 14 hour save ;_;)

Dawg

Is the screen ghosting effect intentional. I'm talking about the transition between scenes. I can still see the previous scene for about 0.5-1s when it changes to a new scene. This is noticeable when the games shows you several points of a room or when it changes characters during a conversation. I feel lik it is just a tad too slow and it's kinda bothering me.

On vita btw. Just want to rule out possible ghosting on my vita or sumthin

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I was posting in the LTTP thread, but this one seems more active.
I already got 3 endings,
Dio's, Clover's, and just got K's. When K revealed his backstory, I totally expected him to be someone from 999, so that was surprising. I'm also assuming that Sigma and Phi are time jumpers of some sort, probably an extension of Akane/Santa/Snake/Clover abilities.
Or maybe their abilities are exactly like those, since K's ending shows an unstable timeloop.
Guess I have to keep playing :p

KiraFA37

Have gotten all endings except the Phi ones, the last one I just got was Luna.
Oh Luna why
did you have to die? One of the more humane players is a Gaulom... I first just though that she was a genuine good, although sightly weird, person. Kinda explains why she never votes betray, with the three laws and all that. I'm still a bit confused why she reactivated herself. Was it so she could try and help the surviving players? If so how did she do that then?

Tonight I'll tackle the Phi-ending. I'm really curious what happens there, especially how the other characters will be handled. (Especially Luna and Phi)
Real endings after that

Don't want to read too much of the posts in case of casual spoilers, so sorry if it's been answered recently: has the 3DS version save bug been fixed? I've been interested in finally getting the game.

Wichu

Yes but my point was that there was absolutely no point in showing himself+at least as far as we know it was only a coinsidence that Tenmyouji and Quark didn't see it. Of course it could be AI controlled and only show the message if Sigma was in the room but that would be all kinds of stupid if the only real purpose of it was to give the password for the bomb (how the fuck did he even know it...)

Didn't (old) Sigma ask Tenmyouji and Quark to participate in the game on behalf of Akane in the first place?
If so, they'd know Sigma was involved in the running of the Nonary Game all along, and so they wouldn't be shocked by the Zero reveal... By that time, they'd probably trust Sigma enough not to interfere with his plan (Tenmyouji knows Zero isn't necessarily the bad guy). Plus it explains why Tenmyouji doesn't trust Sigma at the start of the game; he knows Sigma's involved somehow.

grim-tales

If so, then why:

Does Tenmyouji do the luminol thing on Phi/Sigma and says "Neither of you is Zero Sr.", does he just mean "You didnt kill Akane"? Because Sigma is Zero :s

If so, then why:

Does Tenmyouji do the luminol thing on Phi/Sigma and says "Neither of you is Zero Sr.", does he just mean "You didnt kill Akane"? Because Sigma is Zero :s

I think that's right.
Tenmyouji was asked to keep quiet, wasn't he? I think he'd put up that act to keep from spilling any thing he wasn't meant to say.
At least, that's what I remember, my memory is a little fuzzy since it's been a while since I played this.

KiraFA37

Finally, I did it,... I finished all of the game. Wauw, this game has literally kept me up at night, thinking while I should be studying or sleeping instead. I've grown really fond of Φ, she's my favourite character, although it took some time warming up to her after the elevator.
I hoped she and Sigma would get together, but the age difference stands in the way there. Add to that that they have apparently ruled out them coming together in ZE3 (read that somewhere ain't gunna go source hunting.

Also about the ending:
WHO JUMPED INTO KYLE'S BODY? I suppose there are is no conclusive theory except the protagonist of the ZE3?
That is basically the only question I have. For the rest the game pretty explain everything if you play all the way to the end. Reading the entire TVTropes page helped too... Actually amazed that for a story of this size and complexity there weren't any contradictions. The integration between game-mechanics (flowchart) and a good story (jumping), the theoretical science,... Also the mention of the 10 commandments of a good mystery and then the subsequent annihilation of them while you progress through the story.

Just a shame the next part of it won't be out for atleast a year.
Why did Sigma and Phi fail? What about Tenmyouji (999-version)? The human Luna? Who will we be playing next?
I think I'm going to tackle the original, 999, in the mean time and maybe do some reading on Quantum mechanics. Also does anybody have that pre-order watch? How is it?

Reives

Neo Member
Just finished the game recently... well, the pressure exchange chamber glitch wiped out my 20-hour save so I watched the rest via a Let's Play, hahah. Great game.

I read somewhere that some wanted a simple music box version of Blue Bird Lamentation, so I made a cover for it for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU0ZSL0_LQg

^While that one's my favourite ending by far, one of the lines in the scene was so melodramatic that it totally took me out of the moment for a bit. :p Still, good stuff.

Top Bottom