• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

PKrockin

Wow, you were stumped for whole minutes? Poor baby. lol

I just spent an entire hour failing at a bullshit boss in Sonic and the Black Knight, but that's just my video game masochism. Use a walkthrough or switch to easy if you can't figure out the puzzles I guess.

Anyway, none of the puzzle rooms lead to just bad ends. They all lead to at least one character end, and you need all the character ends to complete the game. And the character ends are not intended to stand on their own, you absolutely need to get the final end.

also

Banned
Yes but I got burnt a bit by the rec room in which I didn't read the back of the photo, which was necessary to get the records and finally the darts box. I spent entire minutes just thinking and looking around. That's why it slowly got on my nerves.

Going through another round of this bullshit, let alone seven or eight ? No thanks.

Why don't you play on easy then? You team mates drop a lot of really helpful hints.
Don't give up! It's really worth it to see the whole story.

Wow, you were stumped for whole minutes? Poor baby. lol

You know, you being an ass certainly won't help rekindle his interest in the game. We need to attract more Zero Escape (and visual novel) fans not chase them away.

PKrockin

You know, you being an ass certainly won't help rekindle his interest in the game. We need to attract more Zero Escape (and visual novel) fans not chase them away.

I would tease him for complaining about being stuck for "entire minutes" (and implying he no longer wants to play the game because of it) whether it were on Zero Escape, Halo, Monkey Island or Mario. :p

Tizoc

Just sharing my thoughts for starters-
Right so I beat 999 on NDS when it was released and watched all Endings.
I didn't read much of the Q&A that was on the website until recently, after having played the
1st Ambidex Room
Before then I assumed that VLR took place years after Junpei and co.'s experience, and that Sigma was a grown up Junpei, I was rather surprised that the events of this take place 1-2 years since then. ...and even with my knowledge of Junpei's experience I am still unable to tell what's real and what isn't! The entire thing is like yet another mystery.
It also doesn't help how the names of the characters are for the most part 'unconventional'; Sigma? Phi? Dio? A kid called Quark?

Non the less, i am still enjoying the game as much as I did 999, but I'd like to ask who else
chose Betray at Luna the FIRST time they played? Phi really managed to get to me and forced me to choose Betray, damnit it video games!

Tizoc

Well just got 2 endings:
1 Bad ending and Dio Ending.
...and uh WTF, I dunno how much of Dio's ending I could believe TBH, but Phi talking about timelines and jumping...
Ah well for this next playthrough I'll Ally with Luna and see where that'll lead me

Just curious but is getting the True ending an end result of seeing all possible endings? I don't need to also find a certain item in one of the rooms like in 999?

Chris R

Can I get a simple yes/no answer from someone? Early branch issue I'm having, nothing story related but I'm still going to spoiler tag it just in case.

I've solved the first safe combo in the infirmary but I'm kinda stuck trying to get the second combo. I'm thinking the solution will come from using the "Colorful Note" along with the ADAM scanning machine, spelling out a specific phrase or word, even though Sigma says that he's already solved this one when I back out from using the machine. Yes or No? No hints about what the actual solution is please

PK Gaming

Yes but I got burnt a bit by the rec room in which I didn't read the back of the photo, which was necessary to get the records and finally the darts box. I spent entire minutes just thinking and looking around. That's why it slowly got on my nerves.

Going through another round of this bullshit, let alone seven or eight ? No thanks.

Don't forget about the difficulty mode toggle! There's no shame and dropping the difficulty if you're stumped on a hard puzzle.

EDIT:

@rhfb: Yes.

Kenka

Why don't you play on easy then? You team mates drop a lot of really helpful hints.
Don't give up! It's really worth it to see the whole story

I second you statement bro, I didn't give up and I did well because...

I fucking unlocked a puzzle without hints !
It was just pure luck: I got in front of a locker and decided to type the combinaison for the number "6213". I was amazed when the screen displayed " c o m p l e t e d".

So excited that I turned on my computer and posted this on GAF right away.

Still haven't finished even one branch but man this is a great game. I love Zero Jr's voice actor as well.
Same here bro. Same here.

Use the power of gamefaqs some of the riddles are weird and not worth wasting time.

Is the save glitch on the Vita version, or is it just the 3DS one? I seem to remember reading that it was only in the 3DS version but some clarification would be nice.

Tizoc

Right so far I got the following:
1 Bad end by Allying with Clover and Dio escaping
Dio ending, which I'm taking it's info into consideration in later playthroughs
'To be continued' ending where Tenmyoji and Clover disappear, Dio dies from asphxyation and Dio's bracelet is crushed
Right now I'm just playing through the game to view as many endings as possible =p

In my Current playthrough I just met
G-OLM! Now that was surprising and I really liked his accent, though I felt that most of the scene with him dragged really long with no purpose...unless G-OLM just wanted to speak with someone, in which case I don't blame the fella.
The Chinese Room thing though...maybe I'm not trying to think too hard about it until I've seen more of the game.
Glad to see Luna isn't dead this time but why kill Alice?

Oh and this was adorable Look at how cute he is!

English voices are growing on me atm =)

Kenka

It's so satisfying to solve some of them though :T

I had roughly one chance in a million to get the code right when I randomly pushed the keys of one of the lockers in the generator room and I got it. That's the most satisfying feeling you can get in any puzzle game. I got the golden file two minutes after I entered the room, speech included, ha ha. I felt like Superman. This game is awesome.

That said, the puzzles are rather easy, even on hard mode.

I will never ever feel that way again I reckon though :-'(.

Jintor

That's seriously amazing lol

The golden file for the generator is right there though, but the actual puzzle is annoying as heck

Tizoc

BTW what's up with Clover's model ALWAYS smiling? Like when she learns she's in the Nonary Game her model reverts to smiling, WTF is up with that?

Lusankya

BTW what's up with Clover's model ALWAYS smiling? Like when she learns she's in the Nonary Game her model reverts to smiling, WTF is up with that?

I guess it's a bug, but it never came up in any interview (and there are a lot of) with Uchikoshi or Aksys.

Kenka

3DS only. Never save in the escape rooms and you will be fine.

"Escape room" ? What do you mean. Theoretically, you always save either during a speech in a warehouse or in one of the locked rooms, the latter possibly being unlocked by other characters already. That's what you meant ? But then you're fucked cause it's normal to save during an attempt to escape a room.

Tizoc

Oh and Clover and Alice look like prostitutes!

"Escape room" ? What do you mean. Theoretically, you always save either during a speech in a warehouse or in one of the locked rooms, the latter possibly being unlocked by other characters already. That's what you meant ? But then you're fucked cause it's normal to save during an attempt to escape a room.

An escape room is the room with the puzzles, i.e. the ones where you must 'Seek a way out'. So apparently, never save when solving puzzles.

also

Banned
An escape room is the room with the puzzles, i.e. the ones where you must 'Seek a way out'. So apparently, never save when solving puzzles.

Yes, that's what I meant. As long as you save during the novel parts (when there's speech), you should be fine. 3 or so puzzle rooms have been confirmed to be problematic, but better safe than sorry.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not really feeling this. The story just isn't interesting to me and the characters don't really grab me. I know it's attempting to be the "Saw" movies but the Saw movies didn't grab me either.

I'd kill for Capcom to bring Phoenix Wright to the Playstation Platform. :(

Tizoc said:
Oh and Clover and Alice look like prostitutes!

I dunno about Clover, but that necklace(?) thing being the only thing covering Alice's tits? Mmmm-hmm.

Jintor

I'm not really feeling this. The story just isn't interesting to me and the characters don't really grab me. I know it's attempting to be the "Saw" movies but the Saw movies didn't grab me either.

Zero Escape is a very, very very end-heavy experience. But, hey, if you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it.

Kenka

Yes, that's what I meant. As long as you save during the novel parts (when there's speech), you should be fine. 3 or so puzzle rooms have been confirmed to be problematic, but better safe than sorry.
Oh shoot, I didn't know of such a flaw. I was spared so far, thanks god.
I know I would restart the game if my save file is wiped but I don't want to reach that point nonetheless.

also

Banned
Oh shoot, I didn't know of such a flaw. I was spared so far, thanks god.
I know I would restart the game if my save file is wiped but I don't want to reach that point nonetheless.
Phew, good for you. For me there are few things in gaming as soul crushing as losing save data.

Finally got around to playing this. Half through ish.

In the Director's Room with Tenmyouji.
He has a picture of Akane, someone he's been looking for for a long time.
:eek:

Tizoc

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
WHY AM I AT WORK WHEN I COULD BE CHARING MY VITA WHILE EXPERIENCING THE OTHER PATHS?!?!?!?!

Right got 'two endings'
One where Luna trusts me to Ally with her but I chose Betray... Oh god poor Luna ;.;
Tenmyoji finds Quark and they both leave the Game in the end...interesting.

The other ending...well it's not really an ending; I assume this is Sigma's true ending; Sigma goes dizzy after I finish the Security Puzzle Room, then we find everyone is dead, Quark is still missing, and then I need to enter a password and ID, then suddenly...FLASHES OF VARIOUS ALTERNATE ENDINGS AND PATHWAYS!

I swear if it weren't for my backlog and me wanting to trade games off I'd put more time into this baby ;.;

Kenka

The soundtrack may be a bit spoilery but there is one track I wanted to share, called Confession:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8E20i-dLBI

It is so well inserted in the game, it succeeds in transmitting this feeling of tragedy to the player when one of the protagonists lifts the veil about his/her motivations. Taken out of context, it does not have the same impact, far from it. But in the game, it's like a brief ray of light in a sea of fog.

The soundtrack may be a bit spoilery but there is one track I wanted to share, called Confession:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8E20i-dLBI

It is so well inserted in the game, it succeeds in transmitting this feeling of tragedy to the player when one of the protagonists lifts the veil about his/her motivations. Taken out of context, it does not have the same impact, far from it. But in the game, it's like a brief ray of light in a sea of fog.

Same as Blue Birds Lamentation. I warn people when I link it.

Tizoc

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight so I just got the
Clover Ending...
WHAT THE FUCK MAN?!?! WHAT DA FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?! THIS ISN'T THE ENDING I THOUGHT I'D SEE!

EDIT: OH MY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
To get the Clover ending I had to 'Betray' Tenmy, so in my current playthrough to unlock more endings, etc., I choose to Ally with him instead, and he chose 'Betray'
In all previous playthrough his first choice was always Ally...AND THE GAME RECOGNIZED IT!
Mind fucking blown!

So I just platinum'd this game, played it a ton since it became free on PS+. Needless to say my mind has melted. Amazing stuff. I'm surprised that I understood it all, no real questions. Maybe the one thing I'm hazy about is this
Kyle person, or at least what consciousness is inside him at the complete end of the game.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So I just platinum'd this game, played it a ton since it became free on PS+. Needless to say my mind has melted. Amazing stuff. I'm surprised that I understood it all, no real questions. Maybe the one thing I'm hazy about is this
Kyle person, or at least what consciousness is inside him at the complete end of the game.
It's quite simple actually, MEGA SPOILER
it's not Kyle, it's you
Personally, it'd have been better
if it had been the opposite, with Sigma voiced throughout the game and voiceless at the end. That would have made the age reveal pointless though

Chris R

Stuck again, but I was able to solve the last thing after a night of not playing. Stupid
Pressure chamber... hoping I don't have to brute force the color code to open the door!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The opening hours of 999 felt intriguing and dangerous. So far, VLR has elicited none of this for me. And in the 7 hours I've played nothing about any of the characters is interesting, and the setting is bland. I'm sure there's more to both than meets the eye, but after hitting that dead end I feel very little reasoin to keep dicking around with something so unrewarding. Maybe i'll come back around.

I thought the same at first. VLR starts rather slow. By the end however, your mind is blown several times in quick succession.

Tizoc

My god this game is psychic...
"Not even Jupiter can find a lost opportunity" I chose Betray the first time...wonder what the dialog'd be if I started with Ally...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My god this game is psychic...
"Not even Jupiter can find a lost opportunity" I chose Betray the first time...wonder what the dialog'd be if I started with Ally...

Its not as impressive unfortunatly, IIRC she reacts the same way.

But man,
I did choose Betray the first time
and my reaction was electric.
Even with the hints that
Phi knew some of what was going on with the alternate timelines
I still got socked out of the blue because the game had just spent so much time
teaching me to treat timelines as disposable and decisions as consequence free. To suddenly seemingly have consequences for flippantly choosing Betray to see what would happen
...well...its easily one of my favorite game moments of all time.

Tizoc

Wait hold up, let's say I start a new game save, and I chose to go with Alice the very first time, what happens when I reach that part of the game in the Flow?

Chris R

Stuck again, but I was able to solve the last thing after a night of not playing. Stupid
Pressure chamber... hoping I don't have to brute force the color code to open the door!

Argggggghhhhhhh sooooooo stupid...

You would figure they could at least draw Clover behind the glass or something to let me know to click there sooner instead of accidentally clicking on it out of frustration.

Dear lord, this game is too long (nearing 29 hours, probably a bit past 3/4 through). It was frustrating in 999 having to repeat puzzles, but the story was always interesting. As I get closer to the end of VLR there are more and more segments that are the same as before but with different people so I can't skip them as they're technically "new" and it's just a drag.

Top Bottom