• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Jintor

VLR is roughly speaking a 30 hour game

Although... like... 5 hours of that is fucking corridor running animations

(I'm exaggerating. A little)

Labrys

Can't you speed them up? I remember being able to.
It is pretty annoying. Served a purpose in the end, though.

PKrockin

Can't you speed them up? I remember being able to.
It is pretty annoying. Served a purpose in the end, though.

I think you can only if you've seen the exact same map animation before. In other words, if you've seen the animation taking you from the crew quarters to the lounge, the next time you go from the crew quarters to the lounge you'll be able to speed it up.

Labrys

I think you can only if you've seen the exact same map animation before. In other words, if you've seen the animation taking you from the crew quarters to the lounge, the next time you go from the crew quarters to the lounge you'll be able to speed it up.

Ah, okay. That would make sense. Thanks.
I really should go back and replay the game, but my backlog says otherwise at the moment.

RedSwirl

So what you're saying is, I'm going to be unlocking all the endings in a span of like five hours?

So what you're saying is, I'm going to be unlocking all the endings in a span of like five hours?

Depending on how many locks you've hit... Yeah, probably... But each of the endings take some time, so I'd guess ~10 hours? Depending on how fast you read/play.

RedSwirl

Okay so I got my first ending after like 25 hours - the Tenmyouji ending. To me that even further suggests that
he's actually Junpei. Him busting out in cahoots with Clover might suggest that she knows. If that's true, then the huge age difference suggests she IS somehow time-displaced. He must've told her at some point during this game, not sure. There's also the letter from Quark which from the background suggests that he grew up in some kind of post-apocalyptic world. That would corroborate Tenmyouji's recount of the Radical-6 virus.

Dawg

Just started this game and finished my first voting poll.

Damn, where has this game been my entire life? It's like Saw (the movie) but even better! I like the way this game has a very mature feeling to it, with people dying and stuff. It just feels so awesome.

There's not many games these days with a mystery like the one in this game. All these questions I have... I like it! And I've only just started, this gon b gud.

Also, I probably would have never played this game if it wasn't for PS+. Thank god for PS+, because this game - to be honest - looked like some kind of niché jp game when I saw it in the story and I know I'm not alone... a lot of people I know (with PS+) don't download this game because they a) think it looks like a weird game (from trailers etc) b) never heard of it and c) think it's a very difficult/hard to get into game.

RedSwirl

Oh man. I don't know if this is a spoiler since it shows up literally as soon as you start playing the game, but I just noticed how the Memo section says
"Brain Memory" at the top.

Actual spoilers:
I also already got to the part where Sigma's hand bled white. I've also seen the explanation about Gaulems and the Chinese Room.
Also one time while googling images of this game a screenshot showed up of
Sigma with an eyepatch and robot hands.

Frost_Ace

Oh man. I don't know if this is a spoiler since it shows up literally as soon as you start playing the game, but I just noticed how the Memo section says
"Brain Memory" at the top.

Actual spoilers:
I also already got to the part where Sigma's hand bled white. I've also seen the explanation about Gaulems and the Chinese Room.
Also one time while googling images of this game a screenshot showed up of
Sigma with an eyepatch and robot hands.
I'll just say it's not what it seems...

PKrockin

Just started this game and finished my first voting poll.

Damn, where has this game been my entire life? It's like Saw (the movie) but even better! I like the way this game has a very mature feeling to it, with people dying and stuff. It just feels so awesome.

There's not many games these days with a mystery like the one in this game. All these questions I have... I like it! And I've only just started, this gon b gud.

Also, I probably would have never played this game if it wasn't for PS+. Thank god for PS+, because this game - to be honest - looked like some kind of niché jp game when I saw it in the story and I know I'm not alone... a lot of people I know (with PS+) don't download this game because they a) think it looks like a weird game (from trailers etc) b) never heard of it and c) think it's a very difficult/hard to get into game.
Please tell me you've played 999.

If not, wtfareyoudoing go get it right now. That's an order, soldier. Import if necessary, DS games are region free. If you don't have a DS or 3DS, wtfareyoudoing go get one right now.

999 does the whole Saw-esque horror atmosphere/setting much better than VLR, and you really should play 999 first.

RedSwirl

I don't think the people who made this game realize how shitty American math and science education is. They're throwing out shit that's supposed to be "junior high level" that I never ever learned in school.

Not even puzzles, just the storyline. Half the characters here seem like geniuses.
The password decode puzzle after getting the key from Dio's end. Also, once you've started that puzzle, you can't review the directions.

Yeah, in 999 too the characters were very good with numbers. I'd need pen and paper in order to figure stuff out they were doing easily in their heads.

RedSwirl

So this is looking like another situation where Zero is actually
the Big Good and not the Big Bad?

Edit: So I guess this is a trend...
Sigma's ending is more or less a game over like Alice's.

grim-tales

Yeah, in 999 too the characters were very good with numbers. I'd need pen and paper in order to figure stuff out they were doing easily in their heads.

Yeah especially
all that hexidecimal stuff
- That really flew over my head.
I did work out
the code for hacking the computer in Alice's ending (in VLR) myself, I thought I got it quite quickly :D

Lusankya

It's hexadecimal and I don't know why you're writing it in spoiler tags.

Anyway, the characters did all the calculations so fast in their head, because otherwise the narrative would drag. And seriously, it's not even complicated math.

grim-tales

It's hexadecimal and I don't know why you're writing it in spoiler tags.

Anyway, the characters did all the calculations so fast in their head, because otherwise the narrative would drag. And seriously, it's not even complicated math.

Ooops, sorry!
Fair enough re the tags, but I'd never heard of hexadecimal or learnt it so it was quite tricky for me.

corn_fest

Well crap. I gott a password from
Sigma's
ending but can't look at it again anywhere.

Yeah, some of the passwords you have to physically write down somewhere (or in the game's notes). You should be able to look it up if you don't want to replay the ending, the codes are the same in every copy.

RedSwirl

Yeah, some of the passwords you have to physically write down somewhere (or in the game's notes). You should be able to look it up if you don't want to replay the ending, the codes are the same in every copy.

I'll just use the "notes" section in the back of the manual.

RedSwirl

What's this "
Four pieces for the first password" crap? I got all the other clues.

Edit: Well the evidence for
Tenmyouji being Junpei is just pilin' on up, but then wouldn't Clover be able to instantly accept that she's time-displaced?

Edit 2: I just got
Clover's end. Ended with what appeared to be the mass suicide. But where's K?

Edit 3: Quark end. The evidence is mounting...

Edit 3: K's ending...

Miszt.png
Miszt.png
Miszt.png
Miszt.png
Miszt.png
Miszt.png
Miszt.png
Miszt.png
Miszt.png
Miszt.png
Miszt.png
Miszt.png

Edit 4:
Wait why the fuck did Luna and K wait till now to give me the messages? I understand K since he only just recently regained some of his memory, but what about Luna? She could've said that shit at any time.

Edit 5: Boom.
Luna was the first person I suspected of being a GAULEM after finding out about them.

RedSwirl

Looking back, it's probably best I started this game doing the leftmost path
(the one that leads to the Lion lock and Luna's ending).
It's the most significant path and is also the most confusing for someone just starting the game.

Need a hint if someone can help! I need to get the file password for a safe in at the
GAULEM Bay. Room with multiple robots. You get the normal password for the tablet from the red eyes+poster but I cannot figure out how to get the other 12 digit pass. I tried with the black eyes but it was all just jibberish.

Edit:Never mind I got it.

Looking back, it's probably best I started this game doing the leftmost path
(the one that leads to the Lion lock and Luna's ending).
It's the most significant path and is also the most confusing for someone just starting the game.

I did the same, maybe it's designed to be the path most people would take.

Lusankya

I did the same, maybe it's designed to be the path most people would take.

Yes, because in order to reach that path you have to
choose Luna as your partner two times and always need to ally with her.
If you don't do this you're a monster!

Once I saw a guy asking for help in the
pantry
. He also said it's his first path. I cried a little on the inside and gave him false hints. ;_;

RedSwirl

Okay, after all is said and done the only plot twists that got me were the ones concerning Sigma himself. All the other ones had enough clues leading up to them beforehand.

Okay, after all is said and done the only plot twists that got me were the ones concerning Sigma himself. All the other ones had enough clues leading up to them beforehand.

There were plenty of hints of Sigma being older than 22, but I think most people ignored those because it was just too weird. Alice saying that Sigma must have worked for his college degree for a long time always seemed weird to me, but I never imagined that Sigma would be an old man.

Not even Luna's ending?
I guessed she was a gaulem, but the way she died just... That hit me pretty hard.

Still, it was hilarious watching you slowly get blown away as you hit all the endings!

grim-tales

I thought she might be a Gaulem/robot when she started talking about robots..
But man, Luna's ending really moved me.. the feels... :( It seemed the ultimate irony that the most human character in the game isnt actually human.. the "robotic calm with a human face" line was probably a big clue... it was beautiful :( I was crying :(

I remember my reaction to K's ending was hilarious
Wasnt expecting that! :D :eek:

wouwie

I'm currently about 25 hours into the game and i only reached one real ending so far. I still have a lot of paths to take. Which makes me wonder if i actually played the game "the right way" (i'm new to the franchise)? I can't see myself finishing all the paths to get to the "real" ending, unfortunately.

Anyway, the first 18 hours or so were amazingly fun, interesting and fascinating but the whole multiple paths system is draining my enthousiasm a bit. There's a lot of parts that overlap and it's rather hard to know which part to skip. Also, the "going through door's/walking from one part to the other" sequences are getting a tad annoying. There's just too much stuff that needs to be skipped. I'd rather have less paths that are more original (although i do understand that each characters has it's "path" so to speak).

All in all though, this game was a great surprise to me, in a positive way. If ever there is a new game in the franchise, i'll be there day one. It's a fascinating and quite original game worth checking out.

wouwie

You're fine, you'll hit a cascade of full endings in a moment, it's deliberately designed that way

@Jintor: just wondering: do i need to finish all paths to get to some sort of ending? Or is there one (or more) particular path that i need to do? I really want to reach some sort of ending but the amount of paths to be done seems to indicate i'll need plenty more hours to go.

Omikaru

@Jintor: just wondering: do i need to finish all paths to get to some sort of ending? Or is there one (or more) particular path that i need to do? I really want to reach some sort of ending but the amount of paths to be done seems to indicate i'll need plenty more hours to go.

I'd beat them all. Some are bad endings, some are required endings. Part of the fun of VLR is discovery, so you'll want to experience as much as possible to flesh out the characters. Also make sure you unlock both sides of the safe in each puzzle room on Hard before you beat the game. Trust me. It's worth it. Doing this will also net you one of the easiest Platinum trophies you'll ever earn, if you're playing on Vita.

It took me about 30-40 hours to beat the game, for what it's worth. You say you're 25 hours in, so you're probably most of the way through, though it probably doesn't feel like it until you start unlocking endings. As Jintor said, the game is designed to be super heavy towards the end; it throws so many twists and surprises at you that you'll be dizzy by the end, but also hungry for more.

Haha at RedSwirl! Reading+seeing reaction posts to the plot twists will never get old!

I thought she might be a Gaulem/robot when she started talking about robots..
But man, Luna's ending really moved me.. the feels... :( It seemed the ultimate irony that the most human character in the game isnt actually human.. the "robotic calm with a human face" line was probably a big clue... it was beautiful :( I was crying :(

The feels! The 1:48 mark is beautiful. One of gaming’s most touching moments! ;_;

Wow, got to my first two endings

The two at the right, one where you betray Phi to get 9 Points, but then get knocked out, it said "Game Over...."
The other one where Phi betrays you, says she got "back" on you for betraying her the first time and then escapes and kills you all, ends with "To be continued...."

So, I guess they repeat a cycle over and over? Or are aware of alternate realities? Wow, this game really does it right, now I need to see the other endings :D

Wow, got to my first two endings

The two at the right, one where you betray Phi to get 9 Points, but then get knocked out, it said "Game Over...."
The other one where Phi betrays you, says she got "back" on you for betraying her the first time and then escapes and kills you all, ends with "To be continued...."

So, I guess they repeat a cycle over and over? Or are aware of alternate realities? Wow, this game really does it right, now I need to see the other endings :D

Those aren’t even the ‘proper’ character endings. Just you wait, start clogging up your ears from now. We don’t want your brain to splatter all over the floor now do we?

Riposte

This game is stumping me way more than 999 did (which may have been 2 or 3 times at the most). I'm surprised people told me it had worse puzzles. Or maybe they meant the game poorly explained it puzzles, because maybe that's true. I've been able to hunker down and think my through most of them, but I'm completely stumped by this one in the
control room
. The last one in the room I bet. It is funny, because I found the "secret" answer within a minute of first entering the room and touching items. Thought it was going to be such an easy room.

I don't want anyone to tell me the answer, but I'd like to know if there is any clue found elsewhere (like a file) I may have missed that is suppose to explain the logic of
filling in the four circles while scanning the plant

EDIT: Damn thought I had it there for a second... struggling to put the meaning of the three "layers" together. My last attempt had to be it! Nothing else makes sense...

Riposte

I finally figured it out. I had the right idea for the most part, but I guess I did something wrong while I was doing the math (or using a calculator, anyway) and I didn't double check. Paying a little too much attention to some other things you pick up in the room certainly didn't help. Ultimately a fair puzzle, I suppose.

The 3DS doesn't have a built-in calculator does it? That would be nice. Also it seems you can't take screenshots and add them to your "game notes". That be more convenient than me writing down information I find on walls and whatnot using the game's "memo".

Anyway, about the game... what is the best way to enjoy the story? Entire paths at once or skipping around constantly? I'm more inclined with the former.

Another thing, which is somewhat related to that question:
Sigma is aware, or at least partially aware, of something that happened in another timeline (one that I personally played, unlike the flashbacks in the beginning) and becomes bothered when choosing a different choice causes someone else to pick a difference choice. To be clear I chose "ally" with Alice who chose "betray", then I later went back and chose betray and she picked ally. This makes Sigma go a lengthy monologue about how it wasn't like the "last time". The thing is, I'm curious if that only appears if you've played the choose-ally route, the one he is clearly referencing, first. If so, I'm also curious if picking betray first, then ally will make him instead do a monologue in the ally route

Anyway, about the game... what is the best way to enjoy the story? Entire paths at once or skipping around constantly? I'm more inclined with the former.

You're somewhat forced to do the latter really. As for best way to enjoy it, personally, I'd say that leaving the path on the right (Alice's) until the end/when there is nowhere else for you to go is recommended.

Riposte

Controls went inert... so I had to turn it off. Now I have redo a lot of fucking talking with only a little of bit being covered with skip.

EDIT: Heh, doing three conversation rooms in different order made me miss out on a really useful clue which happened in another timeline. Well, I got to see it anyway I suppose.

EDIT: And now the game crashed... not far after where it messed up last time. (At least now my save is closer.)

EDIT: So it is a common thing eh? Good thing I never save in the escape rooms.

Top Bottom