• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Omikaru

I'd just like to say that this thread is so good looking on it from the other side completed|not completed divide. Being free to click everyone's black bars is so good.

In fact, watching other people's reactions just solidifies the fact that this is far and away the best game I've played all year. I honest-to-god haven't enjoyed a game this much in the last 12 months or so. It's splendid!

this game is way more addictive than it should !!

it's like time is passing faster when i'm playing this game ..pfiou

*smirk*

Yes, I felt the same. Fucked up my sleeping pattern thanks to this game.

This happened to me with 999 last week. I was up late either playing or thinking about it. And 999 pushed me over the edge to get a 3DS, to see where this story goes (in addition to some of its other games I'm interested in).

^this morning*

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I went to bed at 7 AM. ;~; I kept on going "One more ending!" and got a few more "To be continued..." 's and a previously locked route.

Just went down the left path, and yeah, my mind is fucked.

Left off with the User ID and password in the Director's Office, which I have no clue about. That last hour or so was just a parade of body after body, and I'm really struggling to figure out how everything is linking together.

I've stopped trying to assume that I know anything about what is going on in this game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'd just like to say that this thread is so good looking on it from the other side completed|not completed divide. Being free to click everyone's black bars is so good.

In fact, watching other people's reactions just solidifies the fact that this is far and away the best game I've played all year. I honest-to-god haven't enjoyed a game this much in the last 12 months or so. It's splendid!
With this and Katawa Shoujo, it's easy to argue that the two best games this year are both Visual Novels.
in before someone adds School Days to the list

cj_iwakura

My heart broke when I saw that.

Now that the shock's worn off, my theory doesn't make sense, good thing too.

How can Ten be Junpei if Clover's still 18? Oh god I hope that isn't somehow possible and the dead old lady wasn't June.

I mean I knew June had a cold-hearted side, but damn that's icey to leave him hanging for decades.

So far, I don't think the core plot or tension is as strong as 999's was , but the surrounding events(namely the outside) are a lot more fascinating.

kiryogi

Banned
Now that the shock's worn off, my theory doesn't make sense, good thing too.

How can Ten be Junpei if Clover's still 18? Oh god I hope that isn't somehow possible and the dead old lady wasn't June.

I mean I knew June had a cold-hearted side, but damn that's icey to leave him hanging for decades.

So far, I don't think the core plot or tension is as strong as 999's was , but the surrounding events(namely the outside) are a lot more fascinating.

Bwahahahh

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So I'm gonna make some guesses now that I've reached every possible lock on every branch. Gonna come back here after I finish the game. Spoilers from 999 included:

-Tenmyoldy is either a Snake who got his vision back with the magic of SCIENCE! or Santa. I don't think the first one is likely as he cannot communicate through the morphowhatever fields with Clover. The point is that he's someone from the first game who grew old while Clover was in cryostasis.
-Naturally, Sigma, Clover, and Alice are in the future. Or could it be Phi, Clover, and Alice? Because~
-Sigma is a robot! A robot of K! K is the real Sigma... maybe. Sigma suffers from the Radical-6 virus in the Clover ending, so that's unlikely.
-Speaking of K, if he's not Sigma, he's Seven from 999. Just because.
-Naturally, the AB rooms are Schrödinger's Cat's boxes.
-Luna was the woman who unleashed Radical-6 to the world. It was so obviously her voice during that recording.
-They will use the IG replicator to save both Alice and Quark in the rightmost timelines.
-Alice was not murdered in the crew quarters. She committed suicide. Not sure if Luna did the same though. Why would she inject herself with the tubocurarine when she had the scalpel in front of her? She was definitely murdered.
-Alice's boobs are fake.

I already know one of those is false, per my perusion in the spoiler thread. :mad:

UberTag

So I'm gonna make some guesses now that I've reached every possible lock on every branch. Gonna come back here after I finish the game. Spoilers from 999 included:

-Tenmyoldy is either a Snake who got his vision back with the magic of SCIENCE! or Santa. I don't think the first one is likely as he cannot communicate through the morphowhatever fields with Clover. The point is that he's someone from the first game who grew old while Clover was in cryostasis.
-Naturally, Sigma, Clover, and Alice are in the future. Or could it be Phi, Clover, and Alice? Because~
-Sigma is a robot! A robot of K! K is the real Sigma... maybe. Sigma suffers from the Radical-6 virus in the Clover ending, so that's unlikely.
-Speaking of K, if he's not Sigma, he's Seven from 999. Just because.
-Naturally, the AB rooms are Schrödinger's Cat's boxes.
-Luna was the woman who unleashed Radical-6 to the world. It was so obviously her voice during that recording.
-They will use the IG replicator to save both Alice and Quark in the rightmost timelines.
-Alice was not murdered in the crew quarters. She committed suicide. Not sure if Luna did the same though. Why would she inject herself with the tubocurarine when she had the scalpel in front of her? She was definitely murdered.
-Alice's boobs are fake.

I already know one of those is false, per my perusion in the spoiler thread. :mad:
I'm going to give your hypotheses a grade so you can come back and review how well you did when you're done with the game.

And you may want to come back to this thread BEFORE you finish the game because even though you've cleared all the pre-lock terrain you've still got a fair ways to go.

But don't check your results until you're completely done.

Theory #1:
Tenmyouji is Snake or Santa.
Verdict:
INCORRECT

Theory #2:
Tenmyouji is someone from the first game that grew old while Clover was in cryostasis.
Verdict:
_CORRECT_

Theory #3:
The Nonary Ambidex edition game takes place several decades into the future... NOT in the year 2028.
Verdict:
_CORRECT_

Theory #4:
Sigma is a robot that bleeds white blood.
Verdict:
INCORRECT

Theory #5:
K is the real Sigma.
Verdict:
INCORRECT

Theory #6:
K is related to Sigma in some fashion.
Verdict:
_CORRECT_

Theory #7:
K is Seven.
Verdict:
INCORRECT

Theory #8:
The AB Rooms are Schrodinger's Cat boxes.
Verdict:
INCORRECT

Theory #9:
There is a Schrodinger's Cat box in play within the Nonary Game.
Verdict:
_CORRECT_

Theory #10:
Luna unleashed the Radical-6 virus onto the human race.
Verdict:
INCORRECT

Theory #11:
Luna is a woman.
Verdict:
INCORRECT

Theory #12:
Luna was mirrored after a woman who unleashed the Radical-6 virus onto the human race.
Verdict:
UNCONFIRMED... There's a working theory that this is the case.

Theory #13:
The IG replicator will be used to save Alice and Quark from the Radical-6 infection.
Verdict:
_CORRECT_

Theory #14:
Alice committed suicide in the Crew Quarters as a result of Radical-6 infection.
Verdict:
_CORRECT_

Theory #15:
Luna did NOT commit suicide in the Crew Quarters and was attacked with the injection gun.
Verdict:
_CORRECT_

Theory #16:
Luna was murdered in the Crew Quarters in said attack.
Verdict:
INCORRECT

Theory #17:
Alice's boobs are as fake as the ICE-9 in her bloodstream.
Verdict:
PROBABLY

NFreak

Huh, my university's newspaper had a half page review of this game. I really need to get off my lazy ass and pick it up.

I'm in five hours and liking it. Location isn't quite as cool as 999's and not all of the characters have won me over yet, but I have no doubt that it'll all unfold with time.

Sigma's personality is different from what I thought it would be and I like him more because of it, but I do have some issues with the consistency of his intelligence. Most of the time he seems fairly intellectually capable, but sometimes he just dips into ignorance or stupidity, especially during banter, which is a bit jarring. This inconsistency leads to a bigger problem -- I don't feel like his characterization is consistent or fleshed out enough (up until what I've played) for me to understand why he says or thinks the things he does. Here's a spoilerish example from the Tenmyouji path:
Sigma basically deciding before you do, as a player, that he's going to choose "Ally" with Dio. It was a very selfless action and I admired him for it, but it's a very strong decision and I don't have the full picture of what kind of person he is that would lead him to make that call beyond the player.

So my question, to anyone who's played through the story, is whether or not this issue struck you during the course of the game or if this problem is somehow solved. I assume the game will foray into Sigma's past somehow? I just feel like I don't know him and his voice isn't entirely consistent so his actions and thoughts just emerge from a sort of haze. A vague answer would be much appreciated.

Some of the text in the Gold Files goes off the screen in the 3DS version, so you can't finish reading it. :/

Does this happen in the Vita version too?

Artemisia

Banned
Starting up the game again after putting it down a couple of days ago
xufTV.gif

Let's hope shit goes down again.

Still plotting to fuck up the game for Alice.

Midou

Some of the text in the Gold Files goes off the screen in the 3DS version, so you can't finish reading it. :/

Does this happen in the Vita version too?

Nope.

Edit: Beaten.

Some of this stuff makes it seem like Vita was main platform..

Nope, Vita is fine altho the text is kinda tiny.
If I give you the two file names, would someone mind typing up the last sentences of each file? It would be most appreciated by us 3DSers.

Here they are.

File: AB Game: 2
If you choose to betray, and your opponent chooses to... (this one is pretty obvious, but I like to know your completionist sake.)

File: Principle of causality
it seems like it would be more accurate to say that the quantum...

Thanks.

Here they are.

If you choose to betray, and your opponent chooses to... (this one is pretty obvious, but I'd like to know for completionist sake.)

I've got three more gold files to get, hopefully none of them are cut off.

LiK

Thanks.

Here they are.

If you choose to betray, and your opponent chooses to... (this one is pretty obvious, but I'd like to know for completionist sake.)

I've got three more gold files to get, hopefully none of them are cut off.

AB Game 2:
...You get 0 BP.

Principle of causality:
...level is where shit gets unreal.

AB Game 2:
...You get 0 BP.

Principle of causality:
...level is where shit gets unreal.
Thanks again.

Unrelated side note, we're supposed to believe
Phi sat there and timed the security camera footage in four second intervals? Heh.

to be continued?

what the fuck is this shit

Sigma was about to
reveal who planted the bomb

Just got that one myself. Pretty crazy path, and
I have no fucking clue what's up with all that white ooze

I've now gone through each of the first two sets of doors, so I think I'll be able to start knocking out endings at a faster rate.

Artemisia

Banned
if they actually thought I was gonna convert those units into minutes and seconds by hand, they were SORELY mistaken.

Bless wolfram.

Roubjon

So I got the game, I'm 8 hours into it, and I love it. But is there a way to turn off the voice-acting completely? I have no problem with the english voice acting, and like others have said, it's really good, but I'd rather not have any. I think the lack of voice acting was part of what got me so absorbed into 999.

During the escape portions of this game I like hearing the little beeps in the pitch of the characters voice more than their actual voice acting. It allows me to take in the game at my own pace. I'm probably alone here.

L00P

Just went down the left path, and yeah, my mind is fucked.

Left off with the User ID and password in the Director's Office, which I have no clue about. That last hour or so was just a parade of body after body, and I'm really struggling to figure out how everything is linking together.

I've stopped trying to assume that I know anything about what is going on in this game.
I just finished that path a second ago. Let me find an appropriate image to convey my reaction to it...ahh, here it is:

I think I'll stay like this for a few days

Vlaphor

if they actually thought I was gonna convert those units into minutes and seconds by hand, they were SORELY mistaken.

Bless wolfram.

Bless Iphone and the Vita's ability to take screenshots. Makes the game much more manageable no matter where you are.

CrisKre

For someone interested in trying the series, how would you guys describe the games? Am I correct in assuming its like a more mature layton title?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
For someone interested in trying the series, how would you guys describe the games? Am I correct in assuming its like a more mature layton title?
Don't compare it to Layton. It's a mature choose-your-own-adventure mystery novel with escape the room puzzles thrown in. If you want to try it, definitely pick up 999 for the DS if you can. VLR is not the same without it.

I'm sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already, but is there a consensus as to which version of this game is the one to get? I have both systems.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already, but is there a consensus as to which version of this game is the one to get? I have both systems.
Vita looks much prettier, sounds better, and doesn't have the rare-ish save corrupting bug (can be avoided). The 3DS's voice acting sounds very tinny. You get used to it, but it never quite goes away.

3DS is much more convenient because it has two screens. It also controls better with the stylus. You can buy a capacitive stylus for the Vita, but you still have to switch between screens. As a 3DS player, there were times when I wished I had 3 screens for the info I wanted to display.

Basically, it's functionality or a/v. You can decide which you'd prefer while playing a 30+ hour visual novel.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dammit is there a way to skip the ending credits? I don't wanna go through the same shit nine times or more.

edit: wait what the fuck is this save corrupting bug shite? D: Am I safe in my 3DS version? This is why games should have more than one save file, dammit.

Just got K's ending, which makes four so far (along with Dio, Tenmyouji and Clover)

Um, yeah. So...The old woman is almost certainly Akane, based on this and on Tenmyouji's route. Aside from that, I don't know. Is Sigma a robot? Is K a time traveler? And where the hell were Clover and Tenmyouji (and who put Quark in the pod)? Some of Dio's actions make more sense now, coupled with what I know from his ending.

Also, K's backstory was amazing.

30 hours in, and there's still a lot of paths left to go down.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Dammit is there a way to skip the ending credits? I don't wanna go through the same shit nine times or more.

edit: wait what the fuck is this save corrupting bug shite? D: Am I safe in my 3DS version? This is why games should have more than one save file, dammit.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497204

Just don't save in the puzzle rooms. I always save before and after. It's not like they sneak up on you.

UberTag

Five other advantages to the Vita version not stated above include:

- The ability to skip the ending credits. Chances are you probably don't want to sit through them 9-10 times. (In other words, you're apparently stuck sitting through them on the 3DS.)
- Archive files that aren't chopped off due to stretching wider than the 3DS screen (clearly Word Wrap was not invented in the year 2028).
- MULTIPLE save files. Three is better than ONE.
- MULTIPLE colors to jot notes on that notebook screen (I never bothered with it personally). Once again, THREE is better than ONE.
- TROPHIES!

Top Bottom