• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Five other advantages to the Vita version not stated above include:

- The ability to skip the ending credits. Chances are you probably don't want to sit through them 9-10 times. (In other words, you're apparently stuck sitting through them on the 3DS.)
- Archive files that aren't chopped off due to stretching wider than the 3DS screen (clearly Word Wrap was not invented in the year 2028).
- MULTIPLE save files. Three is better than ONE.
- MULTIPLE colors to jot notes on that notebook screen (I never bothered with it personally). Once again, THREE is better than ONE.
- TROPHIES!
Yeah, but I saved on 250 dollars or whatevs!

Options for everyone!

UberTag

You can't skip the end credits in the 3DS version? I'll have to remember that when I play that version.
I'm assuming this based on seeing two 3DS owners independently complain about them being unskippable today. Perhaps it's just a non-intuitive process to skip them on that system.

Eusis

Really does add to the feel they kinda just phoned in the 3DS version during the end run. How does something like that get forgotten on 3DS?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm assuming this based on seeing two 3DS owners independently complain about them being unskippable today. Perhaps it's just a non-intuitive process to skip them on that system.
Somebody had to be the sacrifice and take the Game Over route.

Memento Mori

UberTag

Somebody had to be the sacrifice and take the Game Over route.

Memento Mori
Don't forget to check out your hit ratio on the 17 theories you threw together in your earlier post when you're done the game.
I will tell you that you got at least 1 of your guesses correct; I believe you're bang on about Alice's breast implants.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Don't forget to check out your hit ratio on the 17 theories you threw together in your earlier post when you're done the game.
I will tell you that you got at least 1 of your guesses correct; I believe you're bang on about Alice's breast implants.
My manhandles have way more sex appeal than those beach balls.

UberTag

I'm starting the end game now.
I thought that earlier this week. 5 hours later I was finally done.
KuGsj.gif

kiryogi

Banned
rewatching Luna's ending in JP. . .

Noto's a lot more emotional in comparison to Bailey, but that doesn't discount the fact that Bailey's performance was still outstanding.

Five other advantages to the Vita version not stated above include:

- The ability to skip the ending credits. Chances are you probably don't want to sit through them 9-10 times. (In other words, you're apparently stuck sitting through them on the 3DS.)
- Archive files that aren't chopped off due to stretching wider than the 3DS screen (clearly Word Wrap was not invented in the year 2028).
- MULTIPLE save files. Three is better than ONE.
- MULTIPLE colors to jot notes on that notebook screen (I never bothered with it personally). Once again, THREE is better than ONE.
- TROPHIES!
1. I don't even get why you can't do that in the 3DS version.
2.I think that is only with 1 file? I only saw it once I think. But still don't get how they didn't notice it.
3. I don't get why not unless 3DS saves have a max file size.
4. This one I don't even get at all.
5. Yea...

I loved the game but I would say at times it seems like a lazy port. Sad to say that about a game that is so good.

Just got my second Character Ending:
Clover.
Great info and all, but that very end. All of my WHAT?!? That was just so- I can't- AHGDFSLJGNDFJLNASD

I would totally stick to clearing
Quark's
path tonight, but wow... It's 4:30. I've never stayed up this late for a game. Not even for 999.... I guess that's what I get for starting down a path at 1:30am though... >.>

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?! MAKE IT STOOOPP!!! T_T

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Just got my second Character Ending:
Clover.
Great info and all, but that very end. All of my WHAT?!? That was just so- I can't- AHGDFSLJGNDFJLNASD

I would totally stick to clearing
Quark's
path tonight, but wow... It's 4:30. I've never stayed up this late for a game. Not even for 999.... I guess that's what I get for starting down a path at 1:30am though... >.>

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?! MAKE IT STOOOPP!!! T_T

A lion eating the sun.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Clover was the worst character in this game, which is a shame because I liked her in 999.
Really? I felt the opposite. She was gloomy and unsociable for most of 999 while she actually had some good moments in VLR.
In particular her behavior/dialogue in the lab puzzle room gave off a Maya (from PW series) vibe - Lord Hoppington etc.
Worst character for me in VLR would have to be quark or dio though.

Lusankya

Really? I felt the opposite. She was gloomy and unsociable for most of 999 while she actually had some good moments in VLR.
In particular her behavior/dialogue in the lab puzzle room gave off a Maya (from PW series) vibe - Lord Hoppington etc.

Yeah, puzzle rooms with Clover were always the most enjoyable for me.
The laboratory was brilliant. I bet that Dio would have given up on his mission if he had to escape from any more rooms with her. :D

Hero

I didn't mind Clover being gloomy though, she had a reason since she got sucked into a second Nonary game. This time around she seems pretty relaxed about it. Her interactions with Snake were awesome and infinitely better than "ALICE IS SO COOL I WANNA BE LIKE HER." I don't want Maya Fey in this game, it feels totally out of place and every time she made a lame joke I rolled my eyes.

Quark is mediocre but in half the scenarios
he's passed out anyway so I don't care
. Dio is bad too, sure, but
at least he has some semblance of a story
. Clover in VLR was absolutely, positively useless other than being jailbait character design.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Quark's ending is such a troll:
Well, sure, I gave out my arm, but at least I got a nice harem with that!

weeeeeeeeeeeeell nope, here's a corpse, you don't get to bang the tittymonster

This game just keeps on getting better and better! The game is too addictive! I played for like 8 hours straight! The further in you get the more you realize just how thought out and amazing the story truly is. I can’t stress enough how clever this game is!
I unlocked my first lock - the 4th lock
(I made another vial of the cure for Radical 6).
It was such a cool moment! Some of these AB voting situations are so awesome/interesting, but holy shit...what the hell
Alice!? I save your ass just so you can kill me!?

Reading the diary about
Radical 6 was seriously chilling.
And I saw a secret file that mentioned
‘Jumpy!’
Hnnnng! I’ve hardly read the others but I accidentally saw that one!
JUUUNE!
Something is definitely going on with
the way time flows from Radical 6.

Woo! Got my amazon issue addressed and started playing last night on 3ds. Comparing this to the vita demo, I do like the 999ish stylus controls better than using thumbs.

Visuals aren't as sharp, and 3d is not hot on black backgrounds( tech limitation?)

I'm a bit confused about the secret password thing. It was easily gotten for the first puzzle, but is it a lot harder to find for other ones or something?

I kinda don't wanna use easy mode, but I don't wanna miss out on tidbits :/

Also English va is really good! Wow.

Venfayth

The puzzles do get harder, but they aren't USUALLY too obscure. Some of them are. If you don't want to miss anything and you're just completely stuck, finish it on easy mode and then reload the puzzle on hard.

Clover was the worst character in this game, which is a shame because I liked her in 999.
Really? They all seemed pretty good to me. Clover may have turned into the standard character type here, but she has here moments here and there. (I for one am appreciative of all jokes, no matter how bad.)

A lion eating the sun.
Heh, yeah, I caught that part....
I just really want to know what that's an anagram for... >.> () or is it an anagram...?

So there is no way to turn off the voice acting, right? That blows.

You can turn down the volume... But I reallly don't see hy you'd want to.

Roto13

Characters in all anime-style games sound a lot better in my head than they do with the same five voice actors who voice every character in everything.

And yes, that thing is an anagram. If you don't solve it yourself (which you probably won't because it's really big), it will be solved for you later. :p

Torraz

Hooray, managed to get my hands on a hard copy in EU, finally.

Any advice/hints before jumping in, in an hour or so?

Lusankya

Yeah. It was really, really obvious that the text didn't match the voices. Also I have no use for voices I mostly can't understand. It might as well be noise.

Okay... Strange opinion, but if you think so I can't do anything about that.

Hooray, managed to get my hands on a hard copy in EU, finally.

Any advice/hints before jumping in, in an hour or so?

Just play as you like. Remember that you have to beat all puzzle rooms on hard (and I think you need to find all gold files) to unlock the very last ending.

Omikaru

Is this worth playing if I haven't played 999?
It's a good game in its own right, but if you can play 999 then you should. But I wouldn't say it's mandatory.

There's a few parts of the game where you'll go, "Oh really, okay." instead of, "HOLY SHIT!" if you don't, but on the most part Virtue's Last Reward stands well on its own.

Necrovex

Yeah. It was really, really obvious that the text didn't match the voices. Also I have no use for voices I mostly can't understand. It might as well be noise.

Well yeah, the sentence structure in Japanese is completely different from English. Plus, the JP version had a lot of word play, which only works for the Japanese language, so changes in the translation were mandatory.

Finished the Alice Ending. Now, I've got five main endings, and I've gone pretty far down almost every route.

So, spoiler filled thoughts and speculation based on most every route:

I've been trying to figure out why the old woman's body is never discovered on the right most route. The thought that occurs to me is that Dio and Luna are working together. The old woman was found in Luna's gate (although it was disguised to make it look like K's). Perhaps the reason she was never found in the right route is because Dio and Luna were able to do something different because they were together. I keep going back to the fact that Dio chose 'ally', when he always chooses 'betray' otherwise. That would mean that Luna likely killed Alice in the left route.

Ace being connected to 'Free the Soul' changes some things, too. I'm not sure how much that ties into everything, but it means that Free the Soul's goals have to do with the morphogenetic fields. It gives more explanation behind the first nonary game, and I'm guessing that the group's goals probably will include using the fields to bring humanity in line with their ideals.

Still stumped on K. I'm not sure if he's the real Sigma (with the player character being a Gaulem), or what. He's certainly connected to Akane, though, who I'm still convinced is the old woman.

For that matter, why did Zero Jr allow Dio to play the game? He didn't seem surprised by his inclusion, despite him killing the old woman to get in it, and he didn't stop it as a rules violation. Perhaps Dio killing her was foreseen by the real Zero? Maybe it is part of Zero's plan, unknown to Dio.

It seems very likely now that the characters are currently in the future, after the Radical 6 pandemic. Perhaps the goals of Zero have to do with using morphogenetic fields to stop the pandemic in the past, ala 999 where they stop Akane's death. Not sure how the lunar eclipse ties in with the date, though. Dio's ending has them emerging in the midst of an eclipse, but it seems like a lot more time than just 6 days have passed, and Dio makes some comment that sounds like it's well after Radical 6.

A lot on my mind thanks to this game. I'm sure 90% of what I've said in here is completely wrong, but it's fun to try and piece things together.

Top Bottom