• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

XaosWolf

Got my copy secured today! ShopTo confirmed my ZombiU bundle would be getting to me for launch day. And now I have a good reason for the Pro Controller being bundled in!

Cannot WAIT to get more hands on time with this one! =D

Malvingt2

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy
ZombiU review goes live on @ign at 9 am PT Sunday. I'll be in the comments, so come talk to me. Bring your love and/or soul crushing hate!

Maybe we will hate him because Wii U isn't supposed to have games rated above 9.5

Got my copy secured today! ShopTo confirmed my ZombiU bundle would be getting to me for launch day. And now I have a good reason for the Pro Controller being bundled in!

Cannot WAIT to get more hands on time with this one! =D

You do know you can't play Zombi without the gamepad, right? It's required for the campaign mode.

Effect

It's this going to be end up being anyone's only launch day purchase/order (not counting Nintendo Land if you are getting the Deluxe version of the system)?

Anything you are getting with it if not to balance out the content in ZombiU?

Have this coming but reconsidering Black Ops 2 and thinking of getting something else instead. Just can't make up my mind at all. Tekken, Mario, buggy Assassin's Creed 3, etc? Gotta decide by Sunday. Something with multiplayer would be nice but it doesn't even have to be shooting. Maybe Trine 2 from the eShop instead. Decisions.

dock

I hate zombies and I never buy Ubisoft games, but I find myself considering buying this. D:

what's wrong with me? launch disease?

I hate zombies and I never buy Ubisoft games, but I find myself considering buying this. D:

what's wrong with me? launch disease?

Yeah, that sounds like launch disease, but hey, maybe it means you'll take a chance on something you normally wouldn't and find yourself surprised?

Teknoman

It's this going to be end up being anyone's only launch day purchase/order (not counting Nintendo Land if you are getting the Deluxe version of the system)?

Have this coming but reconsidering Black Ops 2 and thinking of getting something else instead. Just can't make up my mind at all. Tekken, Mario, buggy Assassin's Creed 3, etc? Gotta decide by Sunday. Something with multiplayer would be nice but it doesn't even have to be shooting. Maybe Trine 2 from the eShop instead. Decisions.

Mario. You cant get a Nintendo system at launch and NOT get a Mario game if its available.

Hawk269

Anyone else feeling a litte uneasy that only SMBROS U is the only game that has been reviewed so far? I am hoping that Zombi U is the shit, but you never know and a review would be nice before launch like all other MAJOR launch titles.

Jtrizzy

it's the only game I'm getting till more reviews come out. Ign has a scribblenauts review, and there are some Ninja Gaiden reviews as well. But yeah it's kind of sketchy.

AzaK

I am going to get CoD along with my Deluxe but Zombi U is way up there as a second title to pickup. I'll just wait for reviews.

Social

ZombiU is a game trapped in the wrong genre. The run-and-gun multiplayer modes emphasize the game's competent shooting mechanics and ability to create interesting enemy encounters. However, these two aspects are discouraged in the single-player campaign for the sake of survival. To compensate, there's the bare minimum of a story and a few simple puzzles. And so much cricket bat. ZombiU could have been an enjoyable action game, but instead it is a poor entry in the survival horror genre.

Ok apparently there is a Gamespot video review up on Xbox Live which is not good. The score is also already in their database: 4.5

I really hope this is not another Red Steel.

Edit: Here is the text of the review.

Not getting a WiiU for a few months at least, but I'm really hoping this is a case of "the game just didn't agree with the specific reviewer" and that we see some other more competitive scores (7+ would be nice) for this game. A 4.5 on the GameSpot scale is pretty damn disheartening.

- J - D -

The review is so brief, it felt like while chunks of detail that would normally constitute a review were missing. Still, not gonna call it out til I see more reviews.

Not a good first sign, though.

Score and verdict aside, Do Twitter posts count as written Reviews these days? Seriously, that's it? That's a review? I've seen more detailled customer reviews on Amazon.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Score and verdict aside, Do Twitter posts count as written Reviews these days? Seriously, that's it? That's a review? I've seen more detailled customer reviews on Amazon.

I think it might be just a transcript of the video review (?) I haven't watched it, but apparently it's what went out accidentally, so maybe the text of it went up too.

antonz

I think it might be just a transcript of the video review (?)

Thats exactly what it seems to be. he basically says it word for word. Strange ass review. Hates the game for trying to be more survival horror than run and gun basically and he admits he prefers run and gun.

Then saying touchscreen based inventory and weapon selection is less ideal than pushing buttons to cycle through shit. Its like the Wiimote launch all over again. Hating on stuff that makes things easier because its different.

Thats exactly what it seems to be. he basically says it word for word. Strange ass review. Hates the game for trying to be more survival horror than run and gun basically and he admits he prefers run and gun.

Then saying touchscreen based inventory and weapon selection is less ideal than pushing buttons to cycle through shit. Its like the Wiimote launch all over again. Hating on stuff that makes things easier because its different.

He basically used the review as a plattform for his own ego, more than anything.

Donnie

I don't expect the game to be universally loved, its not a cliche'd first person shooter after all. But I'm expecting some very good reviews, and some bad, probably not much in the middle.

Then saying touchscreen based inventory and weapon selection is less ideal than pushing buttons to cycle through shit.

I played the Game for about 20-25 Minutes at GC this year. And I have to say, its true. Maybe it was because you stood there and always had to look down at the screen to see the map or the inventory, but I thought it really was more immersion-breaking, than to add some immersion.

It was more of a chore to look down, put things in the inventory or just look at the map.

melee sure looks dull; the whole AI is apparently designed to watch you after you attack them; I first noticed this in one of the trailers where a zombie attacked you in a vent [if I remember correctly] and pushed you out into another room, but then would stay there and watch you too kill him.

Compared to for even Silent Hill, the melee combat, well the AI part at least, looks quite bad.

Sure it is.

The question is just, if its really "fun" like that. If it would be some kind of "Survival-Simulation", I could see how that would be a good addition.
But the Game played more like a harder Dead Island to me.

We will see how the customers will think about that soon, I guess. Just to me it was not really "fun" to always look at the Tablet, since you are normally totally focused on the TV-Screen.

Chopper

So, how does melee work? Is it just smashing a button to wield your cricket bat? Do the zombies defend themselves from cricket bat swipes? How is is game hard?

Striek

Its really hard to tell whether his complaints are legitimate (ie. overreliance on 'boring' melee, lack of enemy variety/interesting enemies), or simply him not appreciating the style of 'realistic zombie apocalypse' that Ubisoft has targeted. The story inconsistencies seem like a shame but I guess it would be hard to fully 'reset' the story mode for each new character and not frustrate the hell out of players.

This is definitely a title where I need to see something like a streamer going at it for an hr or two rather than rely on reviews.

Malvingt2

yeah, the review is a joke..

So, how does melee work? Is it just smashing a button to wield your cricket bat? Do the zombies defend themselves from cricket bat swipes? How is is game hard?

If I remember correctly from what I played at GC, I just clicked a button. The hard thing about is was, that you were attacked by 4 or 5 different Zombies at the same Time and you die, when you were hit twice.

Bumhead

Banned
This is the perfect example of a game where the written content of the review is king, rather than the score. And I'll be keeping a close eye on written reviews and impressions to see whose ideas of good survival horror line up with mine.

Still hoping for some strong reviews.

Rehynn

Its really hard to tell whether his complaints are legitimate (ie. overreliance on 'boring' melee, lack of enemy variety/interesting enemies), or simply him not appreciating the style of 'realistic zombie apocalypse' that Ubisoft has targeted. The story inconsistencies seem like a shame but I guess it would be hard to fully 'reset' the story mode for each new character and not frustrate the hell out of players.

This is definitely a title where I need to see something like a streamer going at it for an hr or two rather than rely on reviews.

He says the GamePad breaks the immersion... I actually found it to be the other way around during my time with the demo.

Of course, he can only speak for himself, as can I. I can definitely see this game getting anything from 4s to 9s.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
eatchildren.cz gave it 1.7/100.

This feels like Skyward Sword's combat all over again as far as polarized opinions. I loved it, and there are some who think it was the worst thing ever.

Saty

Looking forward to see if reviewers will completely ignore the issue of the second screen undermining survival-horror.

Gamespot review gives hope they won't.

Top Bottom