• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

freddy

Banned
This is going to sound funny .... but wrong thread :/
Was mixing up this with the Wii U Release Day thread :/

Nah it's all good I just had a quick look through and couldn't see which ones so I was curious. Will check that thread out too soon :p

Twinduct

Nah it's all good I just had a quick look through and couldn't see which ones so I was curious. Will check that thread out too soon :p

Well it was mostly along the lines of 'Oh well, one less game to pick up!' territory. Which I just found funny considering it was one review.

Neifirst

Just finished listening to the Game Informer podcast posted yesterday and the reviewer on ZombiU implied that it pretty much reminds him of Red Steel. They're still under embargo, so he didn't go into detail, but that was disappointing to hear. It's in the last 10 or 15 minutes or so of the show if you want to give it a listen yourself.

SpokkX

Well.. Hoped this would be ok but guess it is standard ubi soft quality

Rayman will be great though.. Too bad it was pushed back

As I said in the other thread I think most people missed the concept of character progression in this game. The longer you survive the better your shooting and swinging the faster you can move.
But people just picking up the controller and waking up a new survivor finding out they are not Badass so the melee must suck and not getting headshots the controls must suck. They forget that these characters are not suppose to be badass and gain skills as they progress Ubi even showed when a skilled survivor dies it becomes a stronger Zombie because those skills carry over that is why they track how many kills your Zombies get when they enter your friend's game. smh

moonbox

Banned
As I said in the other thread I think most people missed the concept of character progression in this game. The longer you survive the better your shooting and swinging the faster you can move.
But people just picking up the controller and waking up a new survivor finding out they are not Badass so the melee must suck and not getting headshots the controls must suck. They forget that these characters are not suppose to be badass and gain skills as they progress Ubi even showed when a skilled survivor dies it becomes a stronger Zombie because those skills carry over that is why they track how many kills your Zombies get when they enter your friend's game. smh

I didn't know that part; that's actually amazing. :O

what is that?

unpolished as hell,controls are cumbersome the menu system on the pad feels off,game looks average at best

i liked the concept and i have still have my preorder for the zombiu pack ( gonna cancel it) in the hope of the final build solving these problems,but seems unlikely

i still get why people get hyped by this game,new game on a new nintendo system,a "hardcore game" from a third party,a good concept,etc etc

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
ZombiU HD gameplay footage:
Zombies on Aisle Five

Don't know how long they'll be up for.

I wonder if the player has done this section before, because he's running quite quickly through it without doing any looting. Then again, he had to look for the objective and was surprised by the zombie at the top of the stairs (which seems like a scripted thing because I noticed the same surprise zombie in another vid).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The "continually looking down at the gamepad breaks the immersion" thing is one of those arguments you can't really negate, as it's really subjective. Like, I get that's the point of ZombiU, and integral to the design, but for some people it just might not work. And in those cases, they don't really have any other metric to judge the game by. It's kind of like people who struggle with analogue sticks in a shooter, or can't manage motion controls for vehicle steering. It's not really a case of does/does not work, but a matter of preference. If somebody feels, for them, it breaks immersion, there's no way to 'prove them wrong' or fix it. As that's what it does: it breaks immersion, for them.

I feel that aspect alone is going to be hugely divisive among people.

unpolished as hell,controls are cumbersome the menu system on the pad feels off,game looks average at best

i liked the concept and i have still have my preorder for the zombiu pack ( gonna cancel it) in the hope of the final build solving these problems,but seems unlikely

i still get why people get hyped by this game,new game on a new nintendo system,a "hardcore game" from a third party,a good concept,etc etc
I still think it could have been awesome. Easily.

Pezking

But people just picking up the controller and waking up a new survivor finding out they are not Badass so the melee must suck and not getting headshots the controls must suck.

Yeah, but that all fails if melee is way too easy. According to the Gamespot review, no zombies ever pose a serious thread. You can just expolit the fighting system and bash everyones skull in one after another.

This reminds me all to much of "Assassin's Creed", where you can always kill any number of enemies with mind-numbingly easy and tedious grab-kill-grab-kill-combos. Just slice everyones throat one by one, and no enemy force will ever stand in your way.

I can live with that in AC, because I'm just there for the awesome historic settings. This series is like sightseeing to me, and I'm actually glad that these games are so easy, because I can quickly move forward the plot and enjoy the view.

But a broken fighting system like that in a survival horror game?

Boom, headshot. That would ruin the entire experience.

The "continually looking down at the gamepad breaks the immersion" thing is one of those arguments you can't really negate, as it's really subjective. Like, I get that's the point of ZombiU, and integral to the design, but for some people it just might not work. And in those cases, they don't really have any other metric to judge the game by. It's kind of like people who struggle with analogue sticks in a shooter, or can't manage motion controls for vehicle steering. It's not really a case of does/does not work, but a matter of preference. If somebody feels, for them, it breaks immersion, there's no way to 'prove them wrong' or fix it. As that's what it does: it breaks immersion, for them.

Too bad almost no one is judging those things as personal gripes but mostly states them as broken beyond repair, and extrapolates their personal taste as some form of universal metric.

How often do you see someone say: Well I don't like Motion Controls, but I've seen others do just fine with them, so take that as a personal gripe more than anything.

Reviews too often state things as universal truths, and what's more problematic, they're interpreted that way even more.

One review and you guys have lost your erections? C'mon! There have been so many instances when one review has put me off a game, but I've played it later and it's been fantastic. Jim Sterling giving Kid Icarus a 5.0 is one of those times. Sometimes a game doesn't click with a reviewer, and that's fine. Doesn't mean it's trash.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Then saying touchscreen based inventory and weapon selection is less ideal than pushing buttons to cycle through shit. Its like the Wiimote launch all over again. Hating on stuff that makes things easier because its different.

this is the reason why I barely read wii's reviews in the last years.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Too bad almost no one is judging those things as personal gripes but mostly states them as broken beyond repair, and extrapolates their personal taste as some form of universal metric.

How often do you see someone say: Well I don't like Motion Controls, but I've seen others do just fine with them, so take that as a personal gripe more than anything.

Reviews too often state things as universal truths, and what's more problematic, they're interpreted that way even more.

I know, just saying I expect this to be a common complaint in reviews. And regardless of how aggressively that opinion may be pushed as fact, I hope people are able to look beyond it and realise that whole gamepad/screen thing is something they won't know is right for them until they experience the game first hand.

One review and you guys have lost your erections? C'mon! There have been so many instances when one review has put me off a game, but I've played it later and it's been fantastic. Jim Sterling giving Kid Icarus a 5.0 is one of those times. Sometimes a game doesn't click with a reviewer, and that's fine. Doesn't mean it's trash.

Had it been only a written review then ok, but the video was making all the reviewer's complaints evident to me. I am not saying it will be a 4'5 game, but I will be surprised if it ends up having anything more than 7's. And for me to spend 50-60 euros on a game, that game needs to be a 9 game at least.

Twinduct

I know, just saying I expect this to be a common complaint in reviews. And regardless of how aggressively that opinion may be pushed as fact, I hope people are able to look beyond it and realise that whole gamepad/screen thing is something they won't know is right for them until they experience the game first hand.

But that's the whole problem with reviews. There seems to be large percentage of people who take reviews as objective truths.

Objectively the game uses the gamepad to create immersion (As that was the goal of the team who created this). Subjectively the reviewer felt it broke his immersion.

guek

Banned
I never understood the control gripes. I played 2 demos, the nursery demo and the buckingham palace demo. The 2nd had a much more stable framerate and better lighting. Both felt like they controlled absolutely fine. And apparently this is before they "fixed" the controls according to ign (i think?).

I mean, you can't play it like CoD but you're not meant to either.

I never understood the control gripes. I played 2 demos, the nursery demo and the buckingham palace demo. The 2nd had a much more stable framerate and better lighting. Both felt like they controlled absolutely fine. And apparently this is before they "fixed" the controls according to ign (i think?).

I mean, you can't play it like CoD but you're not meant to either.

I don't know. The character is weighted rather strangely, sometimes feels like I was just sliding along the ground.

But that's the whole problem with reviews. There seems to be large percentage of people who take reviews as objective truths.

Objectively the game uses the gamepad to create immersion (As that was the goal of the team who created this). Subjectively the reviewer felt it broke his immersion.

Well, let's just say, the video review alone at least makes me want to wait before making any kind of impulse buy. Are they going to be releasing any demos for ZombiU? That would be the easiest.

Pezking

I don't really care about the score. Usually, I never even read or watch reviews and just trust my instinct.

But what makes me really cautious about "ZombiU" is the fact that you can easily exploit the fighting system and just get rid of every Zombie with using melee weapons. And that with that strategy, no Zombie will ever pose a threat to you. That's just like if "FIFA" featured some spots on the pitch from where you will score every single time. That would be just a broken game.

What I need now would be another review that claims that you can not expolit the fighting system like that.

guek

Banned
I don't know. The character is weighted rather strangely, sometimes feels like I was just sliding along the ground.

Weird.

I don't doubt people's testimonies. They are what they are, and experiences will vary. I just a different one it seems.

Neff

I had my doubts when I saw the Gamesradar guys standing on that crumpled fence clubbing zombies with a bat for 5 minutes, but I'm not willing to write the game off because of one review. I do want relatively high scores to convince me to buy the game, though.

neoanarch

I don't really care about the score. Usually, I never even read or watch reviews and just trust my instinct.

But what makes me really cautious about "ZombiU" is the fact that you can easily exploit the fighting system and just get rid of every Zombie with using melee weapons. And that with that strategy, no Zombie will ever pose a threat to you.

What I need now would be another review that claims that you can not expolit the fighting system like that.
I've seen a few videos of zombies being stuck behind barriers to know its true enough.

Erethian

But what makes me really cautious about "ZombiU" is the fact that you can easily exploit the fighting system and just get rid of every Zombie with using melee weapons. And that with that strategy, no Zombie will ever pose a threat to you. That's just like if "FIFA" featured some spots on the pitch from where you will score every single time. That would be just a broken game.

You can easily exploit the enemy AI/combat in all sorts of great games (like luring zombies in Remake onto stairs), so I wouldn't hold that against ZombiU unless the design was especially bad.

Pezking

You can easily exploit the enemy AI/combat in all sorts of great games (like luring zombies in Remake onto stairs), so I wouldn't hold that against ZombiU unless the design was especially bad.

Yeah, but it shouldn't be that simple and obvious.

As I said before, "Assassin's Creed" is by far the worst example for me in that regard. That might be tolerable in a rather casual action environment, but definitely not in a survival horror game.

Are there different difficulty settings in "ZombiU"?
Could that explain the highly exploitable fighting system shown in the Gamespot review?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

And people can't filter those comments based on their experiences, because the gamepad is such a new thing

I agree. Reviews are guidelines to make informed decisions, not premade decisions.

The looking at the gamepad stuff is surely going to be a much disputed feature, and I would agree with the Gamesradar preview, that I myself wouldn't call it "FUN" outright, but a great element of tension that a normal menu screen overlay is not able to replicate.
It's a novelty but it is integral to the games design and not a tacked on bucket list feature.

I maintain that people treating it the same way as tacked on motion controls are doing it a disservice.

It got a 7 in EDGE!

Sounds like a reasonable score given my own impressions. Any link to the review?

Conor 419

Banned
The only legitimate criticisms I took from that Gamespot review was

1| Having a (generic) guy you're always in contact with seems pretty counter intuitive to the entire genre.

2| Melee combat gets repetitive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The only legitimate criticisms I took from that Gamespot review was

1| Having a (generic) guy you're always in contact with seems pretty counter intuitive to the entire genre.

2| Melee combat gets repetitive.

1) I think the generic guy makes sense, you're a survivor and he's looking to get in touch with survivors. The odd part comes from him seemingly talking to you as though you are a continuing character. When you restart as a new survivor the context is odd.

7 is an ok score from edge, but you really need the review text

Conor 419

Banned
1) I think the generic guy makes sense, you're a survivor and he's looking to get in touch with survivors. The odd part comes from him seemingly talking to you as though you are a continuing character. When you restart as a new survivor the context is odd.

7 is an ok score from edge, but you really need the review text

I think he should have been removed full stop, imagine him in Dark Souls? Ughhhhh

Top Bottom