• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Cross post from the Wii U Launch Thread, but figured people would want to know:

FYI: Newegg is shipping out my Zombi U on Friday and said I can expect it on Monday the 19th.

Here's the email I got from them:

oomgi.jpg

I know this is a joke troll post, so I agree with your sentiments that our industry is way too focused on online. It's refreshing to get a intense single player experience in the survival horror genre. I take it you are day 1'ing it?

Yup, I agree totally regarding the industry as a whole neglecting single player campaigns this gen. You're lucky to see a single player playthrough time over 6 hours these days.

What Ubisoft Montpellier have done in such a short time is pretty remarkable tbh. With a 15-20 hour single player campaign that's different every time you play it this would have been a real bitch to test. Bug regression in particular would be a nightmare. I'm expecting it to be pretty buggy tbh, although having the Club Mario team testing the game should help a great deal.

Going to be interesting to see if they've got any DLC planned too, or maybe even a patch adding online multiplayer..? :eek:)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Online multiplayer wouldn't allow ubisoft or Nintendo to talk about the unique opportunities of two separate screens, because online of course you have two separate screens, one in each location. Or maybe ubisoft didn't have enough visibility of nintendos online plans to include it.

I like nintendo's support of local multiplayer. The other two big boys can focus on online which I don't really care about, just as long as someone is still thinking about local.

With a 15-20 hour single player campaign that's different every time you play it this would have been a real bitch to test.

That's not true, is it? I thought the only difference would be in what your character looks like and whether you have any leveled skills/weapons by the end. Don't you go through the same missions on the way to the end of the game?

You might be mixing up the roguelike-ish character death situation with roguelike-ish randomness in general.

D-e-f-

Banned
Or maybe ubisoft didn't have enough visibility of nintendos online plans to include it.

Since the game has online features central to the experience and AC3 has online multiplayer, that likely wasn't the case. It seems to simply be a matter of game design over "checking a box" as that asymmetrical multiplayer component is one of the few things that survived from the Killer Freaks from Outer Space concept stage.

That's not true, is it? I thought the only difference would be in what your character looks like and whether you have any leveled skills/weapons by the end. Don't you go through the same missions on the way to the end of the game?

You might be mixing up the roguelike-ish character death situation with roguelike-ish randomness in general.

There's a randomized element in terms of zombie spawns and population in the world (mixed in with the scripted events). There are also different missions depending on who you align yourself with (there are four different preppers each with different agendas), though I'm not sure if it locks you out of the other missions completely after you chose one.

Neifirst

Cross post from the Wii U Launch Thread, but figured people would want to know:

FYI: Newegg is shipping out my Zombi U on Friday and said I can expect it on Monday the 19th.

Here's the email I got from them:

oomgi.jpg

That's great to hear - I've got ZombiU and a pro controller pre-ordered from Newegg, each with the $12 off code. I'll be happy just so long as the orders arrive before Thanksgiving.

So yeah, reviews for this, Scribblenauts and Batman are up Sunday morning.
FINALLY. Will be watching with keen interest. The first step will be critical acclaim, then commercial. I'm sure tons of publishers are watching this title as its a mature and NEW IP. If this game received glowing press only to be sent to die in the reviews, I'm gonna knock over some magazine racks lol

antonz

Channeling Zombieland in that launch ad was smart.

My most anticipated game for sure. Cant wait to get home and start on it

I've said it before but I've got a feeling in my bones that this is going to get an absolute shitload of 9/10s. The only complaints about the game we've heard in recent months from people are about the weapons and it appears those problems have been fixed.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
ONM says they will have their ZombiU review up Saturday at midnight, I imagine others will as well.

Neiteio

I've said it before but I've got a feeling in my bones that this is going to get an absolute shitload of 9/10s. The only complaints about the game we've heard in recent months from people are about the weapons and it appears those problems have been fixed.
I'm expecting 7s and 8s. It just seems like one of those games where the mechanics are promising up front but they run out of ideas and it gets repetitive and/or bland later on and fizzles to a finish. I'd love it to turn out great, though. WiiU is kind of a meh console so far, but if this turns out well, that could change.

BD1

Banned
Prediction time, GAF!

Will the game be enough of a critical & commercial success for "Zombi" to become a full fledged franchise?

Drago

So what's the longevity of the game? I've read about people being concerned about the amount of content in the game.

I remember reading it took playtesters around 15 - 20 hours to complete the main campaign. Not exactly sure where I read it though, it was somewhere on GAF.

I remember reading it took playtesters around 15 - 20 hours to complete the main campaign. Not exactly sure where I read it though, it was somewhere on GAF.

If that's the case, then that sounds much better than I would imagine. Especially since I explore every pixel of every inch of every level.

I was expecting 5-7 hours with how people were talking.

antonz

If that's the case, then that sounds much better than I would imagine. Especially since I explore every pixel of every inch of every level.

Yeah Ubisoft reports its advance play testers were about 85% done in like 15-20 hours.

Campaign initially was going to be shorter but they fleshed it out fuller

Drago

New french interview from Paris Games Week:
http://www.bamarenlive.com/2012/11/zombiu-pgwbyccz-1.html
Most veteran gamers take 15-20 hours to complete Zombi U in the tests Ubisoft run, they are very proud of the length of the game.

Found it!

It's nice to see the game has a lot of content, especially as a launch title. I probably won't pick it up at launch as I already have 3 games for the system, am a bit wary of the games quality with no reviews and all, and, in Ubisoft tradition, the game will probably be < $30 by early next year. I just hope it's a good game in the end.

Top Bottom