• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Gamespot haven't really been relevant since the PS2 era quite frankly.
Since then they've just been irrelevant to any discussion.

Review isn't quite as bad as the IGN Gaiden one though; and its not 'up' yet so its kind of unfair to criticise what could be a work in progress.

Am looking forward to the IGN/Destructoid reviews the most.
IGN have a reviewer whose thoughts will be very interesting and Jim Sterling may or may not be in love with the game.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Uh I think the big complaint was how boring the combat was because it posed no challenge. If true that "most of the time is spent fighting with the cricket bat" that is a real issue with the game.

I seriously doubt that. It takes three-four whacks from the cricket bat to kill a zombie (from personal experience). One-on-one then yes they would pose basically no challenge, but even three or more would probably equal instant death with that method (it did for me at least with my hands-on time). Also, Edge and ONM didn't even mention such a complaint in their review, yet Gamespot did. In fact, it's the first time I have even heard such a complaint about the game. I'm not going to completely dismiss it, but I need to hear it from more reviewers before I take it completely serious.

This sucks because ZombiU was really satiating my lust for a dark hardcore game at launch (already have Batman and I didn't like the first DS).

Lol, yep. "LOOK AT US WE'RE SO STRICT, GIVING GAMES SHITTY SCORES."

Black Ops 2 - 8
Halo 4 - 9
Paper Mario 3DS - 7.5
NFS: MW - 7.5
XCOM - 8.5
Dishonored - 9
Borderlands 2 - 8.5

I could go on, that's just from the first two pages of their most recent reviews. Stop being such a delusional person, please. They rate good games highly and bad games low, as it should be.

If you want an honest review of a game that I know isn't influenced by anything other than the reviewer's experience, I go to Gamespot as well as Giant Bomb.

If you're looking to have your pre-purchase justified, then yeah, sometimes they can suck, but I'm not an idiot so I'm not looking for that in reviews.

I'm one or two reviews away from cancelling my pre-order and switching to Scribblenauts, I think.
even if what you say is entirely true, which I seriously doubt, I definitely rather ZombiU not be reviewed by one of the new wave of gamers that killed Silent Hill, made Capcom turn RE into a scripted shooter, or makes EA to say Dead Space should change the direction.

Basically, yes, you can have an idiot review a game like ZombiU and genuinely find him not liking the game at all.

-Eddman-

Gamespot had good reviews around the PS2/GC/Xbox generation, but it's been a long time since and their good writers are now in Giant Bomb anyway.

syko de4d

one year ago ZombiU was Killer Freaks and Killer Freaks looked like ultra Crap. No wonder that, one year later, we get a medicore game.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Black Ops 2 - 8
Halo 4 - 9
Paper Mario 3DS - 7.5
NFS: MW - 7.5
XCOM - 8.5
Dishonored - 9
Borderlands 2 - 8.5

I could go on, that's just from the first two pages of their most recent reviews. Stop being such a delusional person, please. They rate good games highly and bad games low, as it should be.

7 games don't really help the website's credibility. I'd rather watch GT reviews than GS.

even if what you say is entirely true, which I seriously doubt, I definitely rather ZombiU not be reviewed by one of the new wave of gamers that killed Silent Hill, made Capcom turn RE into a scripted shooter, or makes EA to say Dead Space should change the direction.

Basically, yes, you can have an idiot review a game like ZombiU and genuinely find him not liking the game at all.

They gave Resi 6 a 4.5 for being so rubbish, so I'm not sure your point here stands.

I'm not saying I always 110% of the time agree with Gamespot, but if they give a game a shitty score, it's a big warning sign to me the game will be shitty.

A lot of paranoid/bitter fanboys buying in to the hype of the game in this thread and crying foul where there really is no controversy. GAF is at its worse when reviews hit and people are confronted by the fact the game they really want to play might be rubbish.

I say this as someone who posted this two days ago:

ZombiU is so the first game I'm going to play when I get it on launch day.

Sorry Mario, NintendoLand and Sonic Racers!

So I'm definitely not a "hater" or anything.

7 games don't really help the website's credibility. I'd rather watch GT reviews than GS.

7 high quality games getting high quality scores in the last few weeks does prove credibility, actually, as does awful games like F1 Race Stars and Resi 6 getting bad scores. Like I said, I could keep going back further and further, but at this point it's clear you're not going to listen, so I'm giving up. You can live in your fantasy world.

The GS reviewer's complaints sounds like they could possibly not be a big deal, maybe the game is a good survival horror and it's just not his thing. Doesn't sway me either way. But damn that melee combat just looked bad.

Kikujiro

This thread shows how gamers deserve gaming journalism. Here on GAF it's always LOLOLOL gaming journalism, all PRs, doritos, scores that start from 8.0 blablabla. Yet when they start giving some of your beloved games 7.0 or less (which you haven't even played yet), they are only doing it for attention, they are just hating. Gamers are first and foremost fanboys, what some of you really want are PRs and doritos.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Gamespot said:
ZombiU is a game trapped in the wrong genre. The run-and-gun multiplayer modes emphasize the game's competent shooting mechanics and ability to create interesting enemy encounters. However, these two aspects are discouraged in the single-player campaign for the sake of survival. To compensate, there's the bare minimum of a story and a few simple puzzles. And so much cricket bat. ZombiU could have been an enjoyable action game, but instead it is a poor entry in the survival horror genre.

This is what makes me question his review. It sounds like to me the guy ran through the game, dying over and over, barely collecting resources which resulted in him losing the limited allotment of bullets given to each new character and getting stuck with using the cricket bat as a result. Maybe the puzzles do suck, as well as the story. I don't know. But what it sounds like he did is basically the same as running through Dishonored acting like it is an action game instead of a stealth game, which would give you a completely different result in enjoyment levels.

As for the complaints towards the game being better tied to a traditional gamepad instead of the Gamerpad, I've play enough to know my personal preference on the aspect will be completely different.

This thread shows how gamers deserve gaming journalism. Here on GAF it's always LOLOLOL gaming journalism, all PRs, doritos, scores that start from 8.0 blablabla. Yet when they start giving some of your beloved games 7.0 or less (which you haven't even played yet), they are only doing it for attention, they are just hating. Gamers are first and foremost fanboys, what some of you really want is PRs and doritos.

So much truth in this.

Nice to have another sane person along for the ride.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This thread shows how gamers deserve gaming journalism. Here on GAF it's always LOLOLOL gaming journalism, all PRs, doritos, scores that start from 8.0 blablabla. Yet when they start giving some of your beloved games 7.0 or less (which you haven't even played yet), they are only doing it for attention, they are just hating. Gamers are first and foremost fanboys, what some of you really want are PRs and doritos.

I remember when I was one of the first reviews on the net for Epic Mickey, and gave it a six.

Good times.

Nilaul

What struck me as weird was that it sounded like he wanted to kill every single zombie, even if it meant going through them one by one with the cricket bat.

I'm not sure I'd play the game like that, unless the objective at hand specifically involved killing every zombie.

Gwa ha ha ha , lol

Kill every zombie, is he that dumb?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You hit the nail on the head with this one.

People hate when reviews don't live up to their lofty expectations.

MYE

If they're garbage then IGN and Gametrailers are shit found in garbage.

Just as bad. IGN maybe has even worse writing but its all bad really.

And btw, my opinion of GS has nothing to do with ZombieU being given a low score.
I was never really on the hype train. Its Ubisoft

Whether I think the review is poorly done or not, why the fuck do they do video reviews with guys who are less exciting as watching paint dry???

I mean, I guess they have to show the game hence the video review but it's tough to make it through such monotone unprofessional sounding presentations.

Do a few shots before you video it or something!!!

Downhome

I'm gonna toss this out one more time...

Are there many examples of GS, or that one reviewer, giving good/great games awful scores this low?

Whether I think the review is poorly done or not, why the fuck do they do video reviews with guys who are less exciting as watching paint dry???

I mean, I guess they have to show the game hence the video review but it's tough to make it through such monotone unprofessional sounding presentations.

Do a few shots before you video it or something!!!

They lost the good video personalities to Giant Bomb years ago ;)

This is what makes me question his review. It sounds like to me the guy ran through the game, dying over and over, barely collecting resources which resulted in him losing the limited allotment of bullets given to each new character and getting stuck with using the cricket bat as a result. Maybe the puzzles do suck, as well as the story. I don't know. But what it sounds like he did is basically the same as running through Dishonored acting like it is a action game, which would give you a completely different result in enjoyment levels.

As for the complaints towards the game being better tied to a traditional gamepad instead of the Gamerpad, I've play enough to know my personal preference on the aspect will be completely different.
I watched the video review, and I completely agree. He was rushing through a game he was not really interested in. I mean what do you expect going through as fast as you can in a zombie infested world? Plus wasn't the game supposed to be very methodical and slow paced?

sonicmj1

I doubt the same people say both, but you're still right.

People have to learn to accept that some reviewers won't like the things they like. Or the things they expect to like.

MasLegio

Banned
Is all this about one review?

Did everyone forget IGN frothing over this title a few weeks ago? Calm down people!

just like they were frothing over Dead Island?

never ever take an IGN preview seriously

they are too easy to impress at events and with wining and dining

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Frankly, I've been fully prepared for the game to have polish and balance issues. Because the complexity of what they're attempting with a launch game isn't anything to sneeze at. They shot for an original take on survival horror, intentionally went against the grain of increasingly generic FPS pacing and play models, and tried a semi-open world thing with some structural complexity. Then decided to toss a salt shaker of Dark Souls on top of everything.

So yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the zombies sometimes get stuck behind a door. There could be a worry about combat being reduced to something repetitive a lot of the time.

But I think what EC said will be the biggest factor: there are going to be intrinsically divided opinions not just on ZombiU, but on anything that leverages the Wii U's primary interface concept. Because some people just aren't going to like it, and won't be able to make themselves like it.

The only problem that will bring to reviews of Wii U games, will be a difficulty separating objecting failings in the game itself, from inherent dislike of having to play a game within the Wii U's environment. It is indeed the wii remote over again or Skyward Sword: Part 2.

The thing is, I have to wonder how publications and organizations will bother trying to account for this. For example, I don't often see console FPS reviews done, in the game console section of a site, by a PC purist who despises analog sticks. And believes they ruin games, and make them unplayable. If for instance, Halo 4 was reviewed by 50% people who refuse to play console FPSes, would that not give the impression that Halo 4 was extremely mediocre?

This is, a problem I had with Wii reviews the past generation; you'd almost inevitably get a reviewer for a site of note, who pretty clearly came into the review with a giant sigh and a shrug. "Ah damn. I have to use that wagglemote thing. I hate this. I wish it never existed."

Obviously, we need a variety of opinions, and viewpoints. My only hope is that we don't see a steady stream of reviews and press opinions slanted by an attitude of "God, why did this Wii U game have to be Upad only? I hate having to look away from the TV for any reason. Let's get this over with as fast as possible."

I doubt the same people say both, but you're still right.

People have to learn to accept that some reviewers won't like the things they like. Or the things they expect to like.

It's worst when it's a new piece of hardware. People are throwing down a LOT of money and they want to have it be justified by great games. A few reasonable posters aside who I know I can trust, I won't even be able to trust the general GAF consensus for a while on Wii U games because some people are so invested in their new system they delude themselves into thinking they like something and that reviewers are lazy/corrupt/playing it wrong etc.

The Vita is the prime example of this lately when the awful CoD scores hit.

Pretty much.
The worst is the idea that anything ~7 is bad is what I hate the most.

Base reviews on the content not the score. The IGN Gaiden review is well enough evidence of thist. The 4's from other sites gave more reason for their scores.

Dissecting the internals of a review is fair game though. You have to work out why they gave it that score and what went wrong. Then see if its a pattern and not just one opinion. I don't see why people have a problem with that.

The last few pages are hardly as bad as 'certain' review pages where telling a game is good is considered horrendous as its actually 'awesome squasome'.

The 'there looking for attention' line is bollocks though. I've never understood the reasoning some put behind this.

None of this stops Gamespot being generally a poor site for coverage and whether an individual feels it reflects their tastes though.

A review is just a review and whether you find yourself agreeing to it or whether its a good review is up for discussion and should be up for discussion.

The Vita is the prime example of this lately when the awful CoD scores hit.

Am thinking about coming back to that thread in a few months.
Generally I think those calling it a solid/good game might not find the play value their currently putting it at.

Also a reason am holding off of Blops2 Wii U. Even though the circumstances are very different and impressions have been solid, no review copy worries me.
But the European launch is well off so gaffer impressions should be in.

Dabanton

This is the hilarious thing and especially after that giant journalsim thread you think people would step back and see how dumb moaning about scores is. Do people want bullshit platitudes and safe scores so we don't upset touchy and heavily invested gamers or the real opinion of the writer no matter how badly you may disagree.

I remember when I was one of the first reviews on the net for Epic Mickey, and gave it a six.

Good times.

o-OBAMA-MCKAYLA-MARONEY-570.jpg

Top Bottom