• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Nicktals

Banned
Watching that boss fight video posted a couple pages back was probably the worst thing I've seen about this game. That's a boss fight? And it was completed using nothing but the same melee attack. And the boss appeared to do nothing but charge directly at you.

I hope this turns out alright...but I feared there was a reason they pushed the NDA on reviews to Sunday.

Poor AI in GS review is quite legitimate just by judging the footages; it was apparent from some previous previews too, but I thought it will be fixed in the final release.

Or maybe it's just that the reviewer is playing on an easy difficulty or something

Well, maybe ZombieU is shit but its not the first time a Gamespot reviewer shits the bed. Skyward Swords review was fucking horrible regardless of the numerical score it was given in the end.

That website is just bad.

---
but seriously, GS is shit, I don't remember the last time I read more than a paragraph of their reviews.

I live to try these games myself i don't read reviews because then i'll try to focus on the negative aspects that were said about it and it will spoil the game for me before it even begins..i rather just find out for myself and i can't wait to give it a shot.

I mean for Xbox 360 condemned was repetitive killing bums time after time and i had a blast with that.

As others have said, I don't doubt that he's given is honest opinion of the game. Right now, with only a few reviews to look at, people are going to unfairly try to argue why his opinion doesn't count or try to make out that everyone is going to feel the same way.

Either of us could feel the same way. Hopefully we won't, but the problems he highlights with the combat sound like things that would be problems in a survival horror game. If you do just lure zombies away one by one and then hit them repeatedly with the bat, and if they don't recover between hits, then the fact that sometimes it takes lots of hits to kill them will just make killing them a tedious chore.

I love survival horror. Slowly killing something with a blunt object that poses no threat to me while I'm doing it, isn't just something that sounds bad, but it's something I know I don't like from Silent Hill 2. Watching him die a bunch of times in the video makes me hope that the zombies DO pose a threat and can kill you easily even if you make a small mistake, because that would help maintain tension for me, and would probably have made me like fighting regular enemies in SH2 more. small mistakes there generally only cost you the smallest sliver of health. If he's right though... yeah, that could be a killer for me personally.

I'm glad that even a bad review likes the multiplayer. I'm really looking forwards to playing that.

But, is killing every zombie necessary in order to progress, now if triggers are rampant and your stuck bashing in heads in order to advance to the next area then I may agree with reviewer.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Poor AI in GS review is quite legitimate just by judging the footages; it was apparent from some previous previews too, but I thought it will be fixed in the final release.

Or maybe it's just that the reviewer is playing on an easy difficulty or something

Yeah, like I mentioned on the prior page watching the review there were definitely undeniable criticisms such as the AI looking completely dumb. The reason it's becoming controversial is because people wanted this to be the 3rd party game for Super Wii adopters to get and it got a review that seemed to go a little too far in the other direction because he took some legit criticisms and mixed it with undertones of "why can't I just shoot everything?", a sentiment that seems odd considering that the game didn't seem to be marketed as a shooter.

Had the review only mentioned the legit criticisms, or had mentioned certain criticisms as opinions/YMMV instead of straight up "facts", there'd be less calls for torches and pitchforks (being hyperbolic, obviously).

Ridley327

I'm reposting this from the EDGE review thread, since it contains relevant information (thanks for the write-up, Visualante2!):

Sure.

"ZombiU makes the relationship between TV and GamePad screens feel fresh, and - displaying a clear awareness of horror gaming conventions - it toys with you brilliantly [...] and contribute to sophisticated shocks. The GamePad's new way to play also presents new ways for you to be played, and the resulting surprises are often delightful."

They go on to lament a back tracking section towards the end of the game, and a loss of "earthy realism" in the cheaper, fantastical enemies as the game progresses.

edit. I noticed they also said that the game fails to capture London's ethnic diversity, which was a concern of mine from the trailers also. Minor point, but a missed opportunity for Montpellier.

Next month maybe. Even the PS vita got a cover on the new Edge format.

Downhome

The thread title has gone from a hilarious pun to a possible indicator of reviews...

I still have it on preorder at Game Stop, and as of right now I still plan to take it home with me. If, by chance, the reviews come in on Sunday morning and they are just awful, at the time of pickup on release day, can you transfer your payment to another item in the store?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm reposting this from the EDGE review thread, since it contains relevant information (thanks for the write-up, Visualante!):

Yeah I trust Edge much more, and that is about what I expected from my playtime with ZombiU. Good concept with tons of potential, shines at some points, some not. Backtracking elements to pad the length, technically the game is simply ok.

This game definitely accounted for a majority of my launch hype. I'll be pretty disappointed if the reviews continue to trend downwards.

warerare

How can people complain about the AI being dumb in a Zombie game, are Zombies meant to act intelligently? I though they would just keep coming at you until they eat your brains. I am sure its been mentioned before that the Zombies improve as the game progresses, climbing ladders and such.

I'm reposting this from the EDGE review thread, since it contains relevant information (thanks for the write-up, Visualante2!):

I was really excited that this was set in England, so if all we see is Beefeaters everywhere and cups of tea, I'll be pretty pissed. They should be playing off this!

I just listened to the gamespot review, I don't get it though. For the first half he's talking about things I expected and wanted from the game, as if they were bad. I"m sitting here thinking, well that's what a survival horror is.

Survival horror is hitting zombies with a cricket bat over and over and over again while they offer little to no resistance?

Ridley327

Yeah I trust Edge much more, and that is about what I expected from my playtime with ZombiU. Good concept with tons of potential, shines at some points, some not. Backtracking elements to pad the length, technically the game is simply ok.

I'm guessing that the complaint about the fantastical enemies in the back part of the game suggests that the supposed sci-fi twist has some truth to it, then?

Social

When I played this game yesterday I did notice the zombies were getting stuck behind things like doors a lot. So AI isn't really clever but then again, they are zombies

wait, so people care about gamespot now?

im still just as excited to play this. i enjoy experiencing new ground being tread and approach games with as few expectations as possible. Two of my fav games last gen were Fragile Dreams and Shattered Memories, and I know that I will enjoy this game, on some level at the very least

Yeah, like I mentioned on the prior page watching the review there were definitely undeniable criticisms such as the AI looking completely dumb. The reason it's becoming controversial is because people wanted this to be the 3rd party game for Super Wii adopters to get and it got a review that seemed to go a little too far in the other direction because he took some legit criticisms and mixed it with undertones of "why can't I just shoot everything?", a sentiment that seems odd considering that the game didn't seem to be marketed as a shooter.

Had the review only mentioned the legit criticisms, or had mentioned certain criticisms as opinions/YMMV instead of straight up "facts", there'd be less calls for torches and pitchforks (being hyperbolic, obviously).
Exactly what I meant. If the AI is indeed as dumb as it seems, it can't be an excellent game [like >9 scores], but GS is shit and I do not even know unless a game is totally broken, how their standard scoring resulted in a 4.5; probably they haven't got enough ads from Nintendo

CronoShot

Definitely a bit concerning. I may cancel my preorder tomorrow, and just wait for some more opinions before I jump in. The video review did ultimately sound like "Why is this not a shooter? Bleh." But repetitive melee was something I was concerned about while watching videos. Is the cricket bat your only melee weapon?

Personally, if I find the regular story mode as lackluster as that Gamespot dude did(highly doubtful), I still would eventually get this game because the multiplayer(sucks it's not online) looks fun and funny as fuck.

I want to see the soccer stadium arena.

Oh yeah, Wii remote support too, one of the most important aspects.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Survival horror is hitting zombies with a cricket bat over and over and over again while they offer little to no resistance?

If you waste your (limited) resources, which results in you having to melee your way through zombie hoards (with one mistake equaling death), I really don't see how that is a negative in the survival horror genre. If anything, it makes it sound more realistic/immersive.

But once again, that comes down to personal preference.

Hmmm. Makes me consider switching my purchases around.

I think the most concerning thing is the fact that ZombiU scored a 4.5 from one of the better known websites. We're not talking a 6 or 7, something many wold assume to still be worth playing but ultimately flawed. No, we're talking bottom of the barrel here. That really concerns me.

Downhome

Wait what?! 4.5? 0_o

Is this for real?

Do you guys remember those "fake" reviews people here were writing just for laughs? That video review, it comes across just like those. If someone put that together and it wasn't actually from a normal review site, I'd have laughed at it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck Gamespot, the dream goes on; it'll be my GOTY

Ok. That's it!

I will cancel my Zombi U Wii U pack over here in The Netherlands.

I'm dead serious and very disappointed! This game should be THE killer APP at launch.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Exactly what I meant. If the AI is indeed as dumb as it seems, it can't be an excellent game [like >9 scores], but GS is shit and I do not even know unless a game is totally broken, how their standard scoring resulted in a 4.5; probably they haven't got enough ads from Nintendo

GameSpot doesn't have standards. This is the same site that gave Sonic 2006, one of the most broken games in the history of anything, a higher score than Sonic Unleashed, a technically sound game.

I repeat: Most broken game ever gets a 4.4, not broken game gets a 3.5.

SonicGSReviewsWTF.jpg

kunonabi

Fantastical enemies? God fucking dammint. Why is Dead Rising the only game that gets a zombie game right?

Aside from that, I still haven't heard anything that sounds like a red flag to me.

zoukka

Thing is... It's a launch game. People want to get hyped and belief is through the roof in these times. The game might be great, but keep that in mind.

sonicmj1

As others have said, I don't doubt that he's given is honest opinion of the game. Right now, with only a few reviews to look at, people are going to unfairly try to argue why his opinion doesn't count or try to make out that everyone is going to feel the same way.

Either of us could feel the same way. Hopefully we won't, but the problems he highlights with the combat sound like things that would be problems in a survival horror game. If you do just lure zombies away one by one and then hit them repeatedly with the bat, and if they don't recover between hits, then the fact that sometimes it takes lots of hits to kill them will just make killing them a tedious chore.

I love survival horror. Slowly killing something with a blunt object that poses no threat to me while I'm doing it, isn't just something that sounds bad, but it's something I know I don't like from Silent Hill 2. Watching him die a bunch of times in the video makes me hope that the zombies DO pose a threat and can kill you easily even if you make a small mistake, because that would help maintain tension for me, and would probably have made me like fighting regular enemies in SH2 more. small mistakes there generally only cost you the smallest sliver of health. If he's right though... yeah, that could be a killer for me personally.

I'm glad that even a bad review likes the multiplayer. I'm really looking forwards to playing that.

Did you know that you can kick enemies when they're down in Silent Hill 2 to kill them instantly? It makes the combat way faster, and combat sucked before I figured that out.

BD1

Banned
Is all this about one review?

Did everyone forget IGN frothing over this title a few weeks ago? Calm down people!

GameSpot doesn't have standards. This is the same site that gave Sonic 2006, one of the most broken games in the history of anything, a higher score than Sonic Unleashed, a technically sound game.

SonicGSReviewsWTF.jpg

Gamespot actually has very high standards. When they give a low score I get worried.

Your example isn't really that relevant... two shit games got two shit scores.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I'd like to know how many times the guy died while playing. Honestly, it sounds similar to the complaints given towards Dishonored when players run'd and gun'd their way through and complained about how short it was along with it not being fun/long enough.

If so, you are playing it wrong people (or either the game just isn't for you).

Uh I think the big complaint was how boring the combat was because it posed no challenge. If true that "most of the time is spent fighting with the cricket bat" that is a real issue with the game.

sonicmj1

If you think a 4.4 makes sense for a fundamentally broken game, that already shows how pointless the entire rating scale below 5 is anyways, given how most game reviewers score.

Is all this about one review?

Did everyone forget IGN frothing over this title a few weeks ago? Calm down people!

Actually, Rich went from "let me make one thing very very clear, forget about Mario and Call of Duty, ZombiU is shaping up to be THE must have title for the launch of the Wii U".

Then hours later, he said Mario was better.

Muhahahahahahaha.

He only played ZombiU for two hours but that made him look really silly, the sudden turn around after such a bold statement.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Gamespot actually has very high standards. When they give a low score I get worried.

Your example isn't really that relevant... two shit games got two shit scores.

No, Gamespot is all over the place with their "standards." They're the most inconsistent website in terms of reviews.

Hmmm. Makes me consider switching my purchases around.

I think the most concerning thing is the fact that ZombiU scored a 4.5 from one of the better known websites. We're not talking a 6 or 7, something many wold assume to still be worth playing but ultimately flawed. No, we're talking bottom of the barrel here. That really concerns me.
That is actually why you should ignore it; it's like the Famitsu 10s; I don't remember Edge giving a game a reasonable score but it turning out to be shit

I'm not buying a Wii U. But for those who are actually giving text / typing / ranting time to Gamespot -- Don't. They long ago ceased being a legitimate reviewing organization. They're desperately trying to fix their review curve and their past review shenanigans by giving high attention games absurdly low scores, and using the full curve whereas in the past they never did.

It's all fairly transparent.

I'll wait for a few more big website reviews before I cancel my pre-order but damn. I was really hoping this game would be high across the board. Like a Rogue Squadron II but for Wii U (that's a game this launch could have used).

No, Gamespot is all over the place with their "standards." They're the most inconsistent website in terms of reviews.

If you want an honest review of a game that I know isn't influenced by anything other than the reviewer's experience, I go to Gamespot as well as Giant Bomb.

If you're looking to have your pre-purchase justified, then yeah, sometimes they can suck, but I'm not an idiot so I'm not looking for that in reviews.

I'm one or two reviews away from cancelling my pre-order and switching to Scribblenauts, I think.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not buying a Wii U. But for those who are actually giving text / typing / ranting time to Gamespot -- Don't. They long ago ceased being a legitimate reviewing organization. They're desperately trying to fix their review curve and their past review shenanigans by giving high attention games absurdly low scores, and using the full curve whereas in the past they never did.

It's all fairly transparent.

Lol, yep. "LOOK AT US WE'RE SO STRICT, GIVING GAMES SHITTY SCORES."

I'm guessing that the complaint about the fantastical enemies in the back part of the game suggests that the supposed sci-fi twist has some truth to it, then?
The fuck, that sounds bananas. Didn't get that impression from the review at all, but I suppose it fits. They name dropped John Romero. lmao @ Ubisoft if true.

Top Bottom