• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

o-OBAMA-MCKAYLA-MARONEY-570.jpg

I have a feeling that is going to become more tiresome than "Tebowing".

:[

Sid

Frankly, I've been fully prepared for the game to have polish and balance issues. Because the complexity of what they're attempting with a launch game isn't anything to sneeze at. They shot for an original take on survival horror, intentionally went against the grain of increasingly generic FPS pacing and play models, and tried a semi-open world thing with some structural complexity. Then decided to toss a salt shaker of Dark Souls on top of everything.

So yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the zombies sometimes get stuck behind a door. There could be a worry about combat being reduced to something repetitive a lot of the time.

But I think what EC said will be the biggest factor: there are going to be intrinsically divided opinions not just on ZombiU, but on anything that leverages the Wii U's primary interface concept. Because some people just aren't going to like it, and won't be able to make themselves like it.

The only problem that will bring to reviews of Wii U games, will be a difficulty separating objecting failings in the game itself, from inherent dislike of having to play a game within the Wii U's environment. It is indeed the wii remote over again or Skyward Sword: Part 2.

The thing is, I have to wonder how publications and organizations will bother trying to account for this. For example, I don't often see console FPS reviews done, in the game console section of a site, by a PC purist who despises analog sticks. And believes they ruin games, and make them unplayable. If for instance, Halo 4 was reviewed by 50% people who refuse to play console FPSes, would that not give the impression that Halo 4 was extremely mediocre?

This is, a problem I had with Wii reviews the past generation; you'd almost inevitably get a reviewer for a site of note, who pretty clearly came into the review with a giant sigh and a shrug. "Ah damn. I have to use that wagglemote thing. I hate this. I wish it never existed."

Obviously, we need a variety of opinions, and viewpoints. My only hope is that we don't see a steady stream of reviews and press opinions slanted by an attitude of "God, why did this Wii U game have to be Upad only? I hate having to look away from the TV for any reason. Let's get this over with as fast as possible."
In the case of gamespot's review the gamepad functionality isn't his primary issue with the game,it's how the game plays regardless.

I watched the video review, and I completely agree. He was rushing through a game he was not really interested in. I mean what do you expect going through as fast as you can in a zombie infested world? Plus wasn't the game supposed to be very methodical and slow paced?
My thoughts a as well. If you play Super Mario Bros. and run into the first gumba over and over again because you are too lethargic to push the A button the game would get tedious rather fast and you would probably come to the conclusion it is a bad platformer.

Am thinking about coming back to that thread in a few months.
Generally I think those calling it a solid/good game might not find the play value their currently putting it at.

Also a reason am holding off of Blops2 Wii U. Even though the circumstances are very different and impressions have been solid, no review copy worries me.
But the European launch is well off so gaffer impressions should be in.

Yeah, I'm a Brit, so I have time to see how ZombiU plays out with people I trust and I'll keep or trash my pre-order depending on those impressions.

Right now, I'm not optimistic, unfortunately.

I have a feeling that is going to become more tiresome than "Tebowing".

:[

If she goes to play for Rex Ryan, we'll see a lot less of it.

My thoughts a as well. If you play Super Mario Bros. and run into the first gumba over and over again because you are too lethargic to push the A button the game would get tedious rather fast and you would probably come to the conclusion it is a bad platformer.

I love how everyone is blindly ignoring the actual review. He tells you exactly why he's being forced to kill all of those zombies that he doesn't want to waste his time killing.

GameSpot doesn't have standards. This is the same site that gave Sonic 2006, one of the most broken games in the history of anything, a higher score than Sonic Unleashed, a technically sound game.

I repeat: Most broken game ever gets a 4.4, not broken game gets a 3.5.

SonicGSReviewsWTF.jpg

Same writer?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In the case of gamespot's review the gamepad functionality isn't his primary issue with the game,it's how the game plays regardless.

I know. Sorry, I was just making a general observation about what EatChildren had pointed out.

I love how everyone is blindly ignoring the actual review. He tells you exactly why he's being forced to kill all of those zombies that he doesn't want to waste his time killing.

Well, not taking his word for it, will have to see more about this "claustraphobia can't escape" talk as Rich from IGN said they improved the controls so the question was not whether he could kill the zombies but rather if he should.

He also mentioned fleeing and whatnot.

I am sure some areas will be like a dead end and you'll have to tear shit up but I'm not buying that you are constantly trapped.

MYE

If this game turns out to be bad, Its Ubisoft. No surprises here.
Still (and I'll say it again and again) Gamespot is a shit gamesite with terrible reviewers and awful writing. I've been there long enough to know this.
Too long :(

Sid

I know. Sorry, I was just making a general observation about what EatChildren had pointed out.
Personally i don't think it'll be too obtrusive if at all,if the game is a good survival horror FPS we should see scores accordingly even if it has some gimmicks,we'll see what the reviewers think later.

Well, not taking his word for it, will have to see more about this "claustraphobia can't escape" talk as Rich from IGN said they improved the controls so the question was not whether he could kill the zombies but rather if he should.

He also mentioned fleeing and whatnot.

I am sure some areas will be like a dead end and you'll have to tear shit up but I'm not buying that you are constantly trapped.

He points out that escaping is hard because your run speed is shit. I'm just saying that people claiming he's blindly killing everything of his own volition are purposely ignoring the actual content of the review.

Whompa

Same writer?

He scored it lower because he's probably progressively more and more tired of bad Sonic games.

That being said, I totally can see where this review for ZombiU is coming from...It just looks like some things sound better on paper then they do in execution.

Some people are missing the point of the review too. He's saying ZombiU would be better served as a faster paced, higher action-y game, instead of what you got BECAUSE the game designers focused their attention on making the guns, which are scarce, fun to use.

If you make the game more melee centric, then they should have offered a variety of melee weapons to use.

It is what it is, the reviewer wanted a action game out of Zombie U and that's not what he got.

If it was up to him, the whole game would play like the multiplayer it seems and while that looks fun, I am glad the two different modes are very different.

One almost seems like a raw dire simulation and the other an arcadey feel.

Pineconn

^8.8 is more justified than Tom McShea's factually inaccurate review of SS.

Funny thing is, he doesn't seem to state that the game is fundamentally broken. Frame rate issues, glitches, blemishes, etc. He appears to have given the 4.5 mostly out of "I don't like slow games" and "I think this is boring." And yes, he doesn't like the prepper's chewing out of new survivors.

It is what it is, the reviewer wanted a action game out of Zombie U and that's not what he got.

No, he says that WHEN it's an action game it's more fun, not that he didn't want the survival horror aspect to work.

You're twisting his words.

Gamespot gave Zelda TP an 8.8. If there's one site I don't take seriously in reviews it's them.

A great score for a great game by a dude who hasn't worked there in 5 years. Logic, where are you?

The cricket bat being your weapon for most of the game

Not buying this.

I am sure it's plausible that you use it more than other games' melee weapons but it's possible he didn't find all the """"""""real"""""""""" weaponry and ammo and/or wasted bullets with bad aiming.

I'm not saying he rushed through it or sucks at the game but I doubt you use the cricket bat through most of the game.

wildfire

Banned
Well, maybe ZombieU is shit but its not the first time a Gamespot reviewer shits the bed. Skyward Swords review was fucking horrible regardless of the numerical score it was given in the end.

That website is just bad.

Are you sure you are talking about the same Gamepsot? Gamespot UK is very very different from Gamespot AU which in turn is nothing like Gamespot US.

No, Gamespot is all over the place with their "standards." They're the most inconsistent website in terms of reviews.

Are you making a distinction between the three different versions of Gamespot. They are consistent once you parse out the countries each team comes from.

Esque7

Gamespot gave Zelda TP an 8.8. If there's one site I don't take seriously in reviews it's them.

Not sure if serious...
But TP deserved what it got regardless. Heck, I'd give it lower. As for ZombiU, the complaints are actually legitimate and seem almost game breaking.

Nilaul

He points out that escaping is hard because your run speed is shit. I'm just saying that people claiming he's blindly killing everything of his own volition are purposely ignoring the actual content of the review.

How are you supposed to run with a huge heavy backpack on your back?

syllogism

^8.8 is more justified than Tom McShea's factually inaccurate review of SS.

Funny thing is, he doesn't seem to state that the game is fundamentally broken. Frame rate issues, glitches, blemishes, etc. He appears to have given the 4.5 mostly out of "I don't like slow games" and "I think this is boring." And yes, he doesn't like the prepper's chewing out of new survivors.
A more reasonable interpretation or way of phrasing that is that he doesn't like games that he doesn't find fun to play. There doesn't have to be anything fundamentally "broken" about the game for it to receive a really low score.

And yes, he doesn't like the prepper's chewing out of new survivors.

This is wrong for me as far as the quality of a game but I laughed my ass off and liked when the "Prepper" yelled random things that seemed not to make sense at the new survivors.

I thought it was hilarious.

It's hard to imagine them screwing that part up really.

Not buying this.

I am sure it's plausible that you use it more than other games' melee weapons but it's possible he didn't find all the """"""""real"""""""""" weaponry and ammo and/or wasted bullets with bad aiming.

I'm not saying he rushed through it or sucks at the game but I doubt you use the cricket bat through most of the game.

I hope you find lots of weapons because in a melee game variety is very important. Hitting the same enemies with a blunt object for hours on end sounds repetitive and dull.

It seems that he's playing it like dead rising. I imagine zombiu is more like walking dead the game. You either lure them out one by one and bat them to death, or you scavenge and power through, rince and repeat, just like the tv show.
Im going to wait for gaffer impressions on the game though, red steel me twice, shame on me.

When the game got a positive reception then people were excited for it but now some reviewers look at it negatively and now all that positivity is suddenly meaningless?

I never pay attention to professional reviewers in any industry now and always wait for consumer impressions.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This thread shows how gamers deserve gaming journalism. Here on GAF it's always LOLOLOL gaming journalism, all PRs, doritos, scores that start from 8.0 blablabla. Yet when they start giving some of your beloved games 7.0 or less (which you haven't even played yet), they are only doing it for attention, they are just hating. Gamers are first and foremost fanboys, what some of you really want are PRs and doritos.

Agreed in the abstract, but disagree practically. The people pushing for Dorito Reform are not the same people crying about review scores generally. I agree with your point and find it all very annoying, but I usually don't find there to be much overlap.

And even when they do complain, they aren't always the base complaint about REVIEWER DIDNT GET IT/NOT BUYING IT paranoia.

sonicmj1

Not buying this.

What gives you the authority to doubt his perspective? I don't see a lot of other reviews of the full game out there.

That's not saying his assessment of the game is the only valid one, but it's strange for you to doubt the facts of his experience with the game based on basically nothing.

When the game got a positive reception then people were excited for it but now some reviewers look at it negatively and now all that positivity is suddenly meaningless?

I never pay attention to professional reviewers in any industry now and always wait for consumer impressions.

This is the first review, is it not? All we have from ONM and Edge is a score, which is meaningless. Unless you have those magazines, of course, but I don't.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
We can still judge a review with a low score even if we're not used to seeing one for bigger games.

How are you supposed to run with a huge heavy backpack on your back?

The game is too realistic in a lot of ways for some.

It might mean some might find it fun at all but I think a lot of it is pretty hardcore and raw and it makes sense.

I said this before but the guys from Gamesradar were playing and one guy asked if the other was having fun and he really couldn't say he was but he was enwrapped with how tense and intense it was.

Seems they really enjoyed it in the rawest of ways instead of breaking out combos upon swarms of enemies.

You realize the Zelda TP Gamespot score is only .2 lower then what Eurogamer and Edge gave it right? Not using decimals, it's rounded up to the same score. That score is perfectly fine and bitching about it when other reputable places basically gave it the same score is pretty ridiculous.

This is the first review, is it not? All we have from ONM and Edge is a score, which is meaningless. Unless you have those magazines, of course, but I don't.

The gameplay is different from your typical FPS so I don't doubt some people won't enjoy it due to those differences. I fully anticipate that we won't consistently get fantastic reviews.

Pineconn

A more reasonable interpretation or way of phrasing that is that he doesn't like games that he doesn't find fun to play. There doesn't have to be anything fundamentally "broken" about the game for it to receive a really low score.

I wonder if there's any threshold for how low a review score can be for a polished, awful game. The same for a broken, fun game. Could the latter be rated more highly than the former?

Whatever, lol.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Seems to be that the tl;dr version of this whole situation is:

Game probably isn't great, but the GS reviewer spends more time on subjective bias issues, overshadowing the legitimate issues the game appears to have. Massive debate ensues.

The gameplay is different from your typical FPS so I don't doubt some people won't enjoy it due to those differences.

It's no different to that of Condemned etc which got good review scores.

I don't buy it. People are looking to say he played it wrong or wanted something different when there's no basis for that.

What gives you the authority to doubt his perspective? I don't see a lot of other reviews of the full game out there.

That's not saying his assessment of the game is the only valid one, but it's strange for you to doubt the facts of his experience with the game based on basically nothing.

It's never been mentioned before, not buying that he's not exaggerating.

I've read many previews and there even are excerpts of reviews.

It's never been said.

I was putting out there a possibility because I highly doubt you play most of the game with one weapon that is that simple.

I think olimpia84 was being rather sarcastic :p

EDIT: People are just keeping faith, we'll see what the other reviews have to say. Go on the content of what they tell you. Leave scores to metacritic.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Even if you don't agree with the score, his complaints seemed valid to me. Maybe I'll just wait for a "launch window" game instead. Wouldn't be the first time I got a new system without a game. :p

It's not the fact that they gave tp a 8.8, gamespot gave a lot of lesser games higher scores, in comparison the 8.8 seemed unfair. Jesus, after 6 years we are still talking about it.

Top Bottom