• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

G.O.O.

Having watched the review, he gives points that have been known for a while (little ammo, reliance on melee weapons, randomized head blows). But I'm surprised that he considers "need to play safe" as a flaw. The game is pretty much about this.

My biggest concern now is about the feeling of progression and accomplishment. If the game fails at that, then I'll have to sell it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It's not a troll. I'm just saying people were in disbelief that the game was getting low review scores.

Not really. Hands-on from E3 2006 and onward were mostly negative on the controls and/or game itself. Even Wii IGN wasn't optimistic about it, and they were gung-ho for everything Wii. Basically, if you thought Red Steel was going to be good at launch you would of had to basically ignore everything else.

ONM: 92%
EDGE: 7/10
Gamespot: 4.5/10
Fixed. Not to be snobby but ONM doesn't really carry any weight to be compared alongside Edge or GameSpot. Those official rags are generally in a lower ball park.
No. And besides, this isn't the same team that worked on Red Steel.
Point still stands as it was an exclusive launch title, there was a lot of hype for the game pre-release and a lot of people got burned.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not really. Hands-on from E3 2006 and onward were mostly negative on the controls and/or game itself. Even Wii IGN wasn't optimistic about it, and they were gung-ho for everything Wii. Basically, if you thought Red Steel was going to be good at launch did you basically ignored everything else.
There were still people who wanted to believe even with the terrible E3 hands on. Neogaf believe.

I hope ZombiU is good.

The red steel comparison was more for the suspension of disbelief that people have here sometimes. Not related to dev team.

sonicmj1

Not really. Hands-on from E3 2006 and onward were mostly negative on the controls and/or game itself. Even Wii IGN wasn't optimistic about it, and they were gung-ho for everything Wii. Basically, if you thought Red Steel was going to be good at launch did you basically ignored everything else.

The controls in ZombiU are functional, so that already makes it better than Red Steel.

CaLe

With this not being the system seller I thought it would be, Epic Mickey getting bad reviews, and no third party exclusives at launch other than ZombiU and NG3.... This launch is a lot less exciting than I thought it would be...

I'm not sure I'm willing to shell 400$ (with tax) only for Mario...

I like red steel. My love of red steel is well documented. Don't be so sensitive, Baka.

You were having a laugh which I have no problem with but the other user was obviously trying to throw shit about.

Red Steel comparisons are the same as comparing BLOPS Declassified to BLOPS2.
Different console, different developer and different circumstances.

Certainly Ubi haven't out-right misled, which they did do with Red Steel.
Whether either game is good or bad is purely subjective in the end though.

MThanded

You were having a laugh which I have no problem with but the other user was obviously trying to throw shit about.

Red Steel comparisons are the same as comparing BLOPS Declassified to BLOPS2.
Different console, different developer and different circumstances.

Certainly Ubi haven't out-right misled, which they did do with Red Steel.
Whether either game is good or bad is purely subjective in the end though.
My comparison to red steel is that people like to believe what they want to believe. Purchasers attempt to justify their preorders. No one wants to pour money down the drain. We all do it.

I want this game to be good. I was genuinely interested after the E3 impressions.

Dicer

Banned
I still say Red Steel was good, Janky but good, and really a looker in some places...It was just a subject of new controls and reduced hardware specs...

Gamespot can basically suck it when it comes to Nintendo coverage. Here's an idea for everybody: go to Gamespot, and ignoring the ads, glance through the coverage at the front page. Do you see any reason to believe the Wii U is launching in less than 24 hours? OK. Now go to the Wii U page and do the same.

Now go do the same thing at IGN (or just about any major gaming media outlet for that matter.)

If they can't be arsed to make the first home console launch in 6 years a priority in their coverage then I see no reason to take anything they say seriously.

Calling out a good review is just as bad as calling out a bad one.
Its worse when the ONM one isn't readily available so theres nothing to really discuss or take away from it; other than they think its a really good game.

Atm its just an indication, not a review.

There's no way in hell Zombi U got a 3.5 out of 10. Gamespot doesn't know what va 3.5 apparently is. There's nothing in the videos that could justify a score lower than 6. I can understand a 7, maybe. But 3.5? Have they played Cursed Mountain for example? 3.5 is a troll, historically speaking

There's no way in hell Zombi U got a 3.5 out of 10. Gamespot doesn't know what va 3.5 apparently is. There's nothing in the videos that could justify a score lower than 6. I can understand a 7, maybe. But 3.5? Have they played Cursed Mountain for example? 3.5 is a troll, historically speaking

It got a 4.5 though!!!!!

From the release thread, not sure if OG from here, so here you go:

Not sure if this is old news but it looks like a ZombiU demo is coming to the eShop.

Source: https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers/status/269842469275959296
Source: https://twitter.com/Onejos/status/269808463947915264

My comparison to red steel is that people like to believe what they want to believe. Purchasers attempt to justify their preorders. No one wants to pour money down the drain. We all do it.

Fair enough. Your post wasn't clear, thanks for clarifing; still don't think its helpful to bring it up in. The reaction is never going to be good :D

(although its interesting to hear people liked Red Steel, rare creatures :p)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
There were still people who wanted to believe even with the terrible E3 hands on. Neogaf believe.

I hope ZombiU is good.

The red steel comparison was more for the suspension of disbelief that people have here sometimes. Not related to dev team.

My point is ZombiU has had generally positive impressions leading up today, so I don't think the mindset of blind faith is present (in large portions) here. In fact, I would say more people then not are pessimistic about ZombiU specifically because of the Red Steel situation.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The reaction to the review in this thread is example #1 on why the game playing audience is why game's press and reviews are basically broken.

If you hate reviews/reviewers this much don't read them. Love a game that is rated 4/10 great! Hate a game that is rated 10/10, sorry you had a bad time oh well.

Acting like a spoiled child who had their blankee taken doesn't do anything for anyone, just makes you look like an idiot.

Gross.

MYE

Me being a big Zelda fan aside, Skyward Sword is a pretty good example of where Gamespot's place is in the quality ladder of the game review world. There are many others but this one will do.
You would have to read Tom McShea's review and then watch the post-review HotSpot video made only to damage control or milk traffic over that controversial subject though.

But I'll just leave you with this amazing comment by McShea made on that HotSpot video:

"One of the biggest issues with the game are the controls, but I would have given it the same score if the controls were fine"

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
The people insulting the people complaining about the review are even more annoying than the actual people complaining. So just because they gave it a low score and supposedly validated GARMZ JURNALISM we're supposed to sit and take it?

moonbox

Banned
Not buying this.

I am sure it's plausible that you use it more than other games' melee weapons but it's possible he didn't find all the """"""""real"""""""""" weaponry and ammo and/or wasted bullets with bad aiming.

I'm not saying he rushed through it or sucks at the game but I doubt you use the cricket bat through most of the game.

You don't. The bat is mainly for when you run out of ammo and for a short period after you die when you need to retrieve your backpack. Other than that, it's okay for one-on-one but is entirely useless for any other situation. Seemingly, the pistol alone is a one-shot-kill to the head. Why would anyone prefer the bat? It's just dumb.

Theoretically, you could use the bat for most of the game if all you ever did was lure one zombie at a time, but in some situations you would die a lot before all of the zombies were dead. And even then, every time you die, the character becomes a zombie so for each death another zombie appears, effectively.

There are quite a few weapons in-game, but you need to find them through looting. A video I watched earlier had the player find a crossbow at what appears to be very early in the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZQ_ofA3-w&t=1m18s

Personally, i'm looking forward to trying the game out myself when it hits UK shelves. It looks good.

MThanded

The people insulting the people complaining about the review are even more annoying than the actual people complaining. So just because they gave it a low score and supposedly validated GARMZ JURNALISM we're supposed to sit and take it?
No you are supposed to form your own opinion like any reasonable person would do. Come on Eggman, I know you are better than this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At the end of the day, what I'm mainly asking from the game is that it's decently long and meaty with some replayability (which its basic structure seems to account for), and is a good proof of concept for combining the Upad with primary game play.

Whether or not the Gamespot reviewer is suffering a case of "I done played the game the wrong way", doesn't matter so much, because if someone doesn't like the idea of a slow game and just wants Left 4 Dead, there's nothing to be done about it.

Though it will be kind of funny if the other reviews are all good to great, do turn out to be accurate towards that end of the scale, and Gamespot gets to wear the "I reviewed Godhand for IGN" hat and sit in the corner this time.

MasLegio

Banned

im sorry did the review offend you in any way?

must there be retribution for offending your self esteem as a Wii U fanboy?

I tend to agree with this but everyone in this thread is an annoying piece of shit, especially me.

4.5 is less than average. 4.5 is not total shit
Fuck that noise.

4.5 = don't spend your hard-earned money or lifetime. It's going to affect sales if a lot of reviews don't balance this out. If it's an accurate reflection of the quality of this game, I'll thank GS for saving me money.

Me being a big Zelda fan aside, Skyward Sword is a pretty good example of where Gamespot's place is in the quality ladder of the game review world. There are many others but this one will do.
You would have to read Tom McShea's review and then watch the post-review HotSpot video made only to damage control or milk traffic over that controversial subject though.

But I'll just leave you with this amazing comment by McShea made on that HotSpot video:

"One of the biggest issues with the game are the controls, but I would have given it the same score if the controls were fine"
There was nothing out of line about his review other than mistaking aiming using IR. Which was corrected. Stop being mad that he gave it a 7.5. That's still a good score.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
No you are supposed to form your own opinion like any reasonable person would do. Come on Eggman, I know you are better than this.

I know at the end of the day we're all going to have to form our own opinion, but at the mean time I can criticize it through other means. I've seen, read and heard a lot of information on this game, and can tell the review is pure exaggeration, and an extreme use of Gamespot's number scale.

this is all because steelo picked a really fucking dumb title for the ot

There was nothing out of line about his review other than mistaking aiming using IR. Which was corrected. Stop being mad that he gave it a 7.5. That's still a good score.

this is a dumb as hell derail but after two playthroughs i never got that bizarre "constant aiming at the ground when you switch items" thing or whatever that he insisted other players would have

sonicmj1

Sit and take what? How is this score an affront to you?

Top Bottom