• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Effect

Reviews are personal opinions people. If you are interested in the game remember why you are. If the reviews show that person doesn't like the ideas in the game then don't use it to determine if you buy the game or not. Look to see if the things that interest you are broken or not or not what was being advertised.

Personally I feel reviews should be used to help determine if there is something broken in the game. Are there frame rate issues? Are there bugs? Do the controls work as intended from the instructions? Does the game crash? Things of that nature. The personal like of the game from the reviewer shouldn't be important as we all have different taste.

What ZombiU is has been known. Ubisoft has been very clear about what type of game it is and how it plays. There has been more then enough videos and interview. If a person gives it a low score because they don't like what it is and wish it was something else (knowing full well what it is and was going to be), knocking the game for it is suppose to be, why do you give any weight to that review and person? Would you hold highly a review that hits a Spider-man game because the reviewer wanted to damage Hulk style? Or a reviewer that complains that you spend to much time leveling up in Final Fantasy game!?Why give any weight to a review when the reviewer clearly does not like that style of game and doesn't normally review this style of game based on his past reviews? I question not the review but why GameSpot even assigned the damn game to him?

It's why I'm curious to see what IGN's review is going to be like. They gave it to Greg Miller because he asked for it and because he likes Zomibes. Not because he's a fan of survival horror or hard games like Demon/Dark Souls. Those weren't the justifications for having it him review it. Understanding where the reviewer is coming from is very important I feel if you are going to hold reviews so highly.

Personally I only care if the game runs well, has bugs or not. Things that can be viewed objectively. If it functions as it should that's all I need from a review. I already know I like what is being advertised in terms of the content and gameplay. I'll make up my own mind when I play the game if I like how they've done it.

This is why I'm against scores at all. Even for games that are being reviewed favorably. Scores give reviews to much power and importance. Power and importance they absolutely should not have. However they aren't going away. They help influence sales as well. Wait until more are out in the end if they're going to be important. There is one low review and two good scores. 2 to 1 favorable. The low one is actually very questionable.

In short calm the F down people!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I know at the end of the day we're all going to have to form our own opinion, but at the mean time I can criticize it through other means. I've seen, read and heard a lot of information on this game, and can tell the review is pure exaggeration, and an extreme use of Gamespot's number scale.
You haven't even played the game... I haven't either but I am also not saying the review is way off base... I'm saying lets see. Put the pitchforks down.

"I saw that movie trailer and poster. No way the movie could have gotten a 25% on rottentomatoes"

You know how many games look favorable in previews and prerelease information? A bunch.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't even know what it means, but it's annoying me. Wiiu wiiu wiiu wiiu? Is that like the sound of a siren?

The indignity, duh.

Actually, I've seen a lot of people in RL mocking the console without knowing anything about it due to the name - the most common dumb thing to say is to go "WiiYOO WiiYOO WiiYOO!" making it sound like a siren. So yeah.

I don't even know what it means, but it's annoying me. Wiiu wiiu wiiu wiiu? Is that like the sound of a siren?

My title had a decent shot at being the thread title until that evil one became the fan/poster favorite.

If mine was the title, the reviews would have been considerably different.

I even liked the one by the poster above me.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Sit and take what? How is this score an affront to you?

"Accept" is how I should have worded it. I'm all for stricter and better reviews and hate gushing (e.g. IGN's Halo 4 review) but this review doesn't exemplify that.

MYE

There was nothing out of line about his review other than mistaking aiming using IR. Which was corrected. Stop being mad that he gave it a 7.5. That's still a good score.

Its a complete SHIT of a review and it has nothing to do with the score. It goes beyond the embarrasing part I quoted right into factually incorrect territory, sprinkled with the game not meeting his well know expectations of an open world Zelda that plays like Zelda 1.

Its garbage

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
You haven't even played the game... I haven't either but I am also not saying the review is way off base... I'm saying lets see. Put the pitchforks down.

"I saw that movie trailer and poster. No way the movie could have gotten a 25% on rottentomatoes"

You know how many games look favorable in previews and prerelease information? A bunch.

You know games are different than movies. You can't reveal a lot about a movie pre-release because it lasts ~2 hours and it'll spoil a lot. That analogy doesn't work.

MasLegio

Banned
Fuck that noise.

4.5 = don't spend your hard-earned money or lifetime. It's going to affect sales if a lot of reviews don't balance this out. If it's an accurate reflection of the quality of this game, I'll thank GS for saving me money.

why should anyone spend their time and money on less than average games when there is more than enough really good games? unless you have a specific interest in zombie games or owning all wii u games.

so, 4.5= not shit game but less than average

MThanded

You know games are different than movies. You can't reveal a lot about a movie pre-release because it lasts ~2 hours and it'll spoil a lot. That analogy doesn't work.
It works perfectly because in either case you haven't consumed the media.

honestly i'll laugh if the game comes out and it turns out that later enemies are ghosts or aliens or demons or whatever because at least it'll be a zombie game where it's not just a mysterious virus out of nowhere or some jerk in sunglasses

I'm still buying it. I don't generally listen to Gamestop reviews. ZombiU looks like the type of game I would enjoy. I like that it's a different take on the Zombie genre and reminds me of Demon's/Dark Souls.

One more day!

totowhoa

Banned
Wow! I just woke up and came in to see if any ZombiU impressions made it out yet... damn, what a shit show this thread is :p Right now I'm just glad I was reluctant about getting this at 60 bucks. The reviews haven't exactly done anything to turn me off of this game completely yet, and I'm still looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

G-Fex

How can you be mad about a review score for a game you haven't even played yet? SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

My guess is that people were super optimistic for this game, and maybe pre-ordered and purchased. They want justification for their purchase.

I had some mild hopes for this too, but somethings in the preview videos always seemed off to me.

That and swinging the tablet controller is stupid.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It works perfectly because in either case you haven't consumed the media.

You can know much more about a game than a movie, before experiencing them. I just feel a 4.5 is an extreme score, and we all know it's not that bad. Especially if Gamespot is going to be the only reviewer giving it a score lower than 5-6.

KissVibes

Banned
How can you be mad about a review score for a game you haven't even played yet? SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

People love catching feelings when a new device from their company of choice is being released. They NEED the validation that the $300+ they're dropping at launch is okay because all the hyped games are hot fire, when reviews challenge that it's time to get defensive and pull out old ass arguments to cover up the secret shame.

MThanded

You can know much more about a game than a movie, before experiencing them. I just feel a 4.5 is an extreme score, and we all know it's not that bad. Especially if Gamespot is going to be the only reviewer giving it a score lower than 5-6.
You haven't played the game. I don't understand this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
honestly i'll laugh if the game comes out and it turns out that later enemies are ghosts or aliens or demons or whatever because at least it'll be a zombie game where it's not just a mysterious virus out of nowhere or some jerk in sunglasses

Spoiler alert: I'm hoping this is the case. Yeah really.

I'm mainly interested in it because of the game play concept and inerface. I'm tired of the same old zombie stuff, zombies are very played out.

Now if it gets weird and batshit halfway through... I realize some people don't want that, but my enjoyment of it will go up measurably.

that comes off as desperate (your turn)

i mean, not quite as desperate as "Ad-Hoc Summary: Not Terrible!" but still

Don't you watch Fringe? In the parallel world, Red Steel was game of the generation and the franchise is bigger than COD.

Ridley327

Be careful what you wish for when dealing with a company whose flagship franchise centers around peering into the genetic memories of your ancestors in the hopes of stopping the 2012 doomsday conspiracy while being aided by ancient AI; you just might get it.

moonbox

Banned
My guess is that people were super optimistic for this game, and maybe pre-ordered and purchased. They want justification for their purchase.

I had some mild hopes for this too, but somethings in the preview videos always seemed off to me.

That and swinging the tablet controller is stupid.

Swinging the tablet controller?

Whompa

Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/perfect-dark-zero/reviews/perfect-dark-zero-review-6140242/

perfect dark zero was a shit fps and a shit sequel of a great game and it tooks 9.0.

What we are talking about?

The reviewer of Perfect Dark Zero, left GameSpot over 6 years ago.

"I left GameSpot nearly five years ago to pursue my lifelong dream of getting into game development. I've worked on several games in that time but Bastion is the one that's far and away the most personal since our team was so small. It's also the first game I've worked on as writer and creative director. If you have a chance to try it, please let me know what you think."

He became the writer and creative director to Bastion. You can stop your conspiracy theories now.

what if zombi 2 suddenly takes place in japan and the main character is Scott-san and instead of a cricket bat you draw your hanzou steel and BOOM it's the real Red Steel 2

Like that Walking Dead one-off where Rick finds out that aliens seeded the zombie virus on Earth in preparation of an invasion and all his friends are like straight out of OG Battlestar Galactica suddenly.

Calling out a good review is just as bad as calling out a bad one.
I don't think so, not when people's money is on the line. It's pessimistic but I prefer to be that way. I suspect it's going to be remembered as one of the better launch titles in a long while, but not one that we'll look back on in 5 years fondly. Official magazines exist to sell this kind of shit.

MThanded

I do have some knowledge on the game though. Enough to judge some of the review's claims.
Eggman, grace us with your review of the game based off of pre-release material. I just think its pretty hard to judge a reviews accuracy when you have not played the game.

MasLegio

Banned

less than average is not an extreme score

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Eggman, grace us with your review of the game.

Sure, I'll give some impressions tomorrow.

less than average is not an extreme score

Maybe not, but it is compared to the scores they give out to other games.

From their guidelines,
4.0-4.5: Poor
Games that just don't work right and maybe didn't spend enough time in production tend to fall in to this category. They simply lack the cohesion and quality that make other games fun.

Even calling it a "poor" game is kinda far-fetched.

Top Bottom