• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Sanctuary

Ugh lost all my items, guess it's time to stop for today.

I killed one of your infected earlier. :(

I'm not sure I'll be able to finish Survival, I just don't know the game well enough.
Just died fighting the horde that triggers when trying to open the wall keypad door in the Palace. Thought I was doing well until I was struck from behind and instakilled.

Oh yeah.
As Admiral Ackbar would say: "It's a Trap!".

Zero148

is it known, that the german version doesn't let you post screenshots and you aren't shown as an owner in Miiverse?

I don't have the game, but there is a pretty long Miiverse post about that issue

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Ending spoiler/question:
so what happens if you make it to the helicopter? got swarmed and died like a little shit... ;_;

You simply fly away with the helicopter, game ends. You didn't miss anything.

is it known, that the german version doesn't let you post screenshots and you aren't shown as an owner in Miiverse?

I don't have the game, but there is a pretty long Miiverse post about that issue

Sadly, this is true. As for now, you can't use the screenshot option.

Snipes424

Ending spoiler/question:
so what happens if you make it to the helicopter? got swarmed and died like a little shit... ;_;

You get rescued and you watch "Black Angels" aka black fighter jets burn London. That's about it.

But yeah just beat it, it's not perfect but probably my GOTY so far... So intense.

Sanctuary

Does anyone else have an issue with their map suddenly looking like someone decided to put a graph paper overaly on top of it? When I first started playing the game, my map did not have a bunch of lines through it. After a few hours they just randomly appeared and never went away. I don't think it was an issue with the screen itself, because everything else in game and outside of it looks fine. Someone else just posted about having the same problem, but it doesn't seem to be widespread.

It's not an upgrade either, because starting a new game doesn't remove it.

dk_

Some other user pointed out that it worked until Friday. When you now open Miiverse ingame you're not getting into the community. The system doesn't find the game so I guess the German version has its own version number or something. Pretty dumb and I hope it's a bug and not some youth protection.

Does anyone else have an issue with their map suddenly looking like someone decided to put a graph paper overaly on top of it? When I first started playing the game, my map did not have a bunch of lines through it. After a few hours they just randomly appeared and never went away. I don't think it was an issue with the screen itself, because everything else in game and outside of it looks fine. Someone else just posted about having the same problem, but it doesn't seem to be widespread.

I have random lines at the very bottom of the gamepad screen at times. It seems like its a random glitch that comes and goes.

panda21

You got to kill the zombies attacking the safe house.

did it :)

its actually not so hard once you know how to deal with the zombies.

living in london the game is freaking me out a bit with how realistically the underground is modelled. even the texture of the fabric on the seats is perfect.

Holy shit the last chapter is damn dumb. It kills the whole game for me. Wtf is this? I died 13 times.
I don't know where to go an where to start, zombies everywhere, no guns, no ammo. I don't know if I will finish this. Up to that point I loved it.

Fistwell

Oh, right, I totally have that. Appeared suddenly and was wondering whether it had always been like that or not. Uh, guess not.

Talking about bugs and such, after
topping up the group on gas
, light came back, then disappeared, than 1/2 came back, then disappeared, etc. The quest started popping up in my quest list randomly even though I was done with it.

Fusebox

Banned
i'm really stuck and confused.

i did the first mission, but at the end when
you get rushed by punks
i died trying to get away.

then the game cut to me waking up as another survivor, and it immediately says 'hey theres zombis coming here go batten down the hatches'.

if i look around theres nothing around i can use to block the doors, and if i just stay put no one turns up anyway. if i go outside the safe area by going out of the chain link door eventually it locks me out and says i need a keycard to get in. then zombis keep coming until i end up with 3 on me at once and die.

i've just died doing this bit 3 times in a row

what am i supposed to be doing?

That's EXACTLY what happened to me so I scrapped that save and started again so I can be prepared next time.

Okay, I need some advice, because I'm having a really hard time deciding whether or not to buy this game. The game seems interesting, but, of course, there's the issue with the reviews... I'd go on word of mouth alone, but I've also watched some play throughs where there were a lot of problems with clipping. Also, it seems like the zombies themselves are very repetitive and tend to follow the exact same movements and reactions, which seems like it might get redundant.

So what's the word on those faults?

Well I finally beat normal. Last chapter is a bitch. I had massive amounts of ammo, flares and grenades
but that didn't matter. Every old area was crawling with them...exhausted almost everything by the time I made my way up the tower. The run from Buckingham was very tense!

Okay, I need some advice, because I'm having a really hard time deciding whether or not to buy this game. The game seems interesting, but, of course, there's the issue with the reviews... I'd go on word of mouth alone, but I've also watched some play throughs where there were a lot of problems with clipping. Also, it seems like the zombies themselves are very repetitive and tend to follow the exact same movements and reactions, which seems like it might get redundant.

So what's the word on those faults?

Personally I had never a problem with any clipping, I had some bad Zombie spawns in one part, but really, there are enough Zombie types and Situations to mix up the gameplay. Even though using the cricket bat follows allways the same rules, and mostly the same rythm, there are enough situations to put you under stress, and even then, mess up a single hit and it could mean instant death. The game uses very simple gameplay for each weapon, but it really gives the player the oportunity to experiment and play the game to their own strength.

Nearing the end, and I can honestly say only one part really and truly sucked from a gameplay point-of-view (story-wise, it was good):
the Arena/circus with Boris at the church
. I lost my oldest survivor at that part; it felt pretty cheap.

ozfunghi

The game would have been so much more interesting (and logical) had every new survivor you play with, started from his/her own location (at home) and not magically wake up in the same bed.
Why does your stuff disappear if you can't recover it with the next survivor? This makes zero sense.

Seriously, had they changed that, the game would be so much better.

FStop7

Banned
I can't play this game for more than 30 - 45 minutes at a time. It just really starts to get to me. I find myself tapping the radar every 5 steps and getting really anxious and uncomfortable. Fuck.

The game would have been so much more interesting (and logical) had every new survivor you play with, started from his/her own location (at home) and not magically wake up in the same bed.
Why does your stuff disappear if you can't recover it with the next survivor? This makes zero sense.

I agree with the former but not the latter. The threat of losing your stuff makes it so much more intense.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Personally, I thought thematic wrapper was that the Prepper is essentially luring an endless stream of dupes in. In other words the one-time intro section was an example of a survivor on the street being lured by him. So naturally a new one rests for a bit in the lair then heads out to do his missions, after the last one dies.

Plus starting over from a central location feels more roguelike to me, but that's preference.

I would guess one reason why you only have one previous survivor's gear at a time is for 2 design reasons:

1. make it much more dangerous to screw around when trying to recover your last bag, due to the threat of losing it if you screw up. Aka recovering your last soul stash in Dark Souls.

2. Put some control on game balance, so that there's not an infinite supply of collected items slowly building up in the game world from every one of your deaths.

ozfunghi

I agree with the former but not the latter. The threat of losing your stuff makes it so much more intense.

I disagree, because it just makes no sense whatsoever. It's a patch job to make it more intense, and that is not the right way to go about it. Besides, you having to walk over from a NON-safe house to the safe house, basically unarmed except for a 2by4 or a bat, from areas you may or may not have visited before, will more than make up for that. Will you track your previous survivor down first or hurry to the safe house?

Besides, the fact that you can't reload a save game after dying already does that trick. They could just as well limit the number of survivors you get to play with, and if you run out, it's game over. That would make a lot more sense in the gamespace and be just as much, if not more intense.

1. make it much more dangerous to screw around when trying to recover your last bag, due to the threat of losing it if you screw up. Aka recovering your last soul stash in Dark Souls.

2. Put some control on game balance, so that there's not an infinite supply of collected items slowly building up in the game world from every one of your deaths.

1. See above.

2. No need. Your new survivor starts with NOTHING, except new stuff the old survivor might have found in his journey as well. No second gun, no second backpack. Just some lumber to swing with and maybe a flashlight, or better yet, a lighter, just enough to track the infected survivor down.

I can't play this game for more than 30 - 45 minutes at a time. It just really starts to get to me. I find myself tapping the radar every 5 steps and getting really anxious and uncomfortable.

I was the opposite. Marathoned it, with little regard for the outside world - well, as much as I could considering job/family.

Here's how it played out for me from my latest respawn:

Start arena. Die.

Very, very weak game design, even brief, has hurt my impression of the title as whole overall. Should not have slipped through the cracks.
Had a survivor for about nine hours and this happened. Not gonna lie, was kinda mad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't mind that an infected survivor disappear if the existing survivor dies before recovery. It doesn't make sense but it's a leap of logic I'm okay with for the added intensity, much like the blood stains in Dark/Demon's Souls. Makes for better game.

As for the survivors waking up in the safe house, I put this squarely down to making the best of the intended design under the restrictions and pressure of it being a launch game. The whole game is pretty intelligently designed around budget/time limitations, and though I'd love for survivors to wake up in their own area, I can see they really didn't have the resources to do such things. That's a lot of extra game to design around an entirely new spawn system. Sequel maybe.

Anywho, got my shit back from the area I mentioned earlier. Turned out dying over and over didn't matter, all my stuff was still there. So now I'm armed to the teeth, again.

ozfunghi

I don't mind that an infected survivor disappear if the existing survivor dies before recovery. It doesn't make sense but it's a leap of logic I'm okay with for the added intensity, much like the blood stains in Dark/Demon's Souls. Makes for better game.

As for the survivors waking up in the safe house, I put this squarely down to making the best of the intended design under the restrictions and pressure of it being a launch game. The whole game is pretty intelligently designed around budget/time limitations, and though I'd love for survivors to wake up in their own area, I can see they really didn't have the resources to do such things. That's a lot of extra game to design around an entirely new spawn system. Sequel maybe.

Anywho, got my shit back from the area I mentioned earlier. Turned out dying over and over didn't matter, all my stuff was still there. So now I'm armed to the teeth, again.

Well, i mind because it's a cheap way to build tension. That's like people saying how the clunky classic Resident Evil controls added to the suspense. They did, but they were hardly how it was supposed to be handled. Now you get to build up your inventory and lose a lot of stuff, due to one mistake. No loading a previous save.

As for the game being designed around budget/time limitations, again i disagree that this has to make any form of impact on it. There are plenty of places where other survivors might hang out already present in this game. I can list a number of places in the first two missions alone, that would be perfect hide-outs for survivors, many of those even already have old mattresses or non-interactive backpacks lying around.

VICI0US

Had a survivor for about nine hours and this happened. Not gonna lie, was kinda mad.

the arena is a reality check in my opinion.

by that point you're relatively late into the game, probably decently loaded up with weapons, ammo, medkits, etc and maybe feeling a bit too comfortable.. then bam, you have nothing

it really tests you. can you react quickly and logically under pressure? can you use the environment to your advantage? can you discover and utilize every last resource at your disposal?

Not going to lie though, I did die my first attempt at the arena. Layed down a mine and didn't clear the blast radius in time, lost my survivor of 7~ hours. Spawned back in with a new survivor and made it through, you just have to really use what little you have at your disposal. the first wave of 3 zombies I shot the canister directly in the middle. all dead. the next wave of two zombies (1 riot squad 1 explosive) I pushed the riot zombie into the explosive tank zombie and then shot it, both dead. for the third wave I found a flare within the chain linked fence area to the side. threw the flare at another one of the explosive canisters on the ground, shot it, dead group. that's 8-9 zombies down with only 3 bullets. Just continued on in that manner. Using the fuel canisters in the environment, hopping up onto a ledge/ladder and forcing the zombies to slowly, vulnerably make their way towards you, corralling them together and luring them over a mine.

It's so completely unexpected, but it's definitely manageable

oatmeal

Banned
So I beat it.

That's the end? I thought it would show me escape a bit more :(

Reading up,thread...

I didn't see any cutscene. I ran around in the main area fighting off the horde successfully...then headed downstairs towards the church. Open the door, take a ladder down, cut to black, watch the prepper prep for the next ones. I feel like I missed something... :(

So I beat it.

That's the end? I thought it would show me escape a bit more :(

Reading up,thread...

I didn't see any cutscene. I ran around in the main area fighting off the horde successfully...then headed downstairs towards the church. Open the door, take a ladder down, cut to black, watch the prepper prep for the next ones. I feel like I missed something... :(

Wait for the credits to finish

oatmeal

Banned

I am...
I wish I got outside to escape a bit more. That ending in the main area was fucking scary as hell.

Waiting...long ass credits.

Waiiiiiting....

Still waiiiiiiting...this had more people working on it than Titanic.

My goodness....

I'm sure I could hit B to skip it, but I'm worried they're tied together.

Now I know how the prepper feels. Always waiting.

The End!!!!

Flack back into gameplay!!!!

Well fuck.

I got onto the helipad out of ammo and got killed :(

Is that it? Can you even beat that bit?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, i mind because it's a cheap way to build tension. That's like people saying how the clunky classic Resident Evil controls added to the suspense. They did, but they were hardly how it was supposed to be handled. Now you get to build up your inventory and lose a lot of stuff, due to one mistake. No loading a previous save.

The intensity is the point. You make it sound cheap, when I don't really consider it as such. The game is built around survival, and ideally you're not supposed to die at all. Players recklessly getting their stuff lost to the hoard should take note to play more carefully and tactfully, and that message is probably why infected survivors disappear.

As for the game being designed around budget/time limitations, again i disagree that this has to make any form of impact on it. There are plenty of places where other survivors might hang out already present in this game. I can list a number of places in the first two missions alone, that would be perfect hide-outs for survivors, many of those even already have old mattresses or non-interactive backpacks lying around.

Well, I don't really think it would be that easy. You couldn't have a survivor spawn, say, in the Tower of London. Not with the game's current design, which is built around Metroidvania style progression. Areas are balanced in difficulty to suit the pacing and progression, as well as the missions. My point isn't so much that it couldn't be done, but that to do so you'd need to change some other areas of the game quite drastically, including the overall pacing of the game. And given this is how the game flows as it is, I don't know if it would have been possible to make larger changes like what you're suggesting without redesigning the game, or having longer time and greater budget to accommodate a wider scope.

oatmeal

Banned
First off...a question:

If I load up my last save that I did before my final journey to the end, will it start there or spawn a new survivor? Can you reach the helicopter? When I died, I had a virucide but when the zombie got close I had no chance to use it. It was just...dead.

My final impressions...there are some spoilers...so reader beware...

The game took about 14:30 which I'm more than happy with. So many big single player games are under 10 hours so this felt beefy to me. Prior to release, I had no idea how the game worked. I had seen a lot of video from the game, but it felt like it was kind of an arcady title. Kind of a, just walk around and see how many points you can rack up before dying, and then try and beat your score.

Then it turns into this sprawling adventure throughout the London streets and underground that opens up as you gain new abilities. It really ended up being like Metroid. Kind of mindblowing that a launch title is so tightly designed. Really the only thing that sticks out as poorly designed are the underground subway areas. They are literal copy-paste of one another. Strange choice.

Technically the game is kind of blah. It's not doing anything special, it has a very cinematic coating over it that gives it a very distinct style that totally works. I'd love to see what these guys do with the inevitable sequel. Hopefully they can put some time and money into the graphics, perhaps give us more physic-based ways of dealing with a horde. Picking up gas cannisters and putting them in a good spot, blocking an entry way, stuff like that. But what's here is very well done. There are some glitches, but they were all small (for me) and nothing took me out of the experience.

The sound design I thought was great. The music was terrifying and the zombie sounds were really well done. When you're in a quiet space and you are one on one with someone, the sound is very understated and you really feel alone with this thing.

The scanning with the gamepad was surprisingly unshitty. As much as I love Metroid Prime, the scanning always felt like a chore. Perhaps it's because the scanning in this was a quick L-toggle away at all times...I don't know. But it worked for me.

The Dee Letters were the only real 'backtracking' in the game and even that wasn't boring. The pacing of the game was always solid. There is the odd "Arena" in the game, but it felt like a nice break from the rest of the game and since I didn't die in it, it didn't frustrate like I'm sure it could have.

The ending was strange. You survive for a minute and then it goes to credits...and you think it's over...and then it brings you back and you are on your way to the ending. I don't know if it's possible to actually win that, but it felt a little bit like Halo Reach's ending which was very effective. But I feel like you have to be able to beat this...I was on the helipad...I just needed to take out the last 4-5 zombies. Argh. But why wasn't that fucking helicopter helping me? Fucking assholes.

Anyway, it's a great game. The fact that it's a launch title is even more impressive. Probably ends up being my GOTY, and I can't recommend it any higher for someone who likes the OG Resident Evil titles.

ON TO SURVIVOR!!!

The intensity is the point. You make it sound cheap, when I don't really consider it as such. The game is built around survival, and ideally you're not supposed to die at all. Players recklessly getting their stuff lost to the hoard should take note to play more carefully and tactfully, and that message is probably why infected survivors disappear.

I've not had it happen yet as I'm only about 2 hours in. I've died a couple of times properly. And about 5 times consecutively at the
batton down the hatches
bit. But am only just getting things now that are worth something I'd I loose them.
just been told to find the lock picks outside of Buckingham palace
but if you do "double die" and loose all your stuff, just how much of a chore is it to re-collect everything from the random CCTV spawns? Does everything gain a location right away? Is it staggered? Do weapon upgrades persist? I'm playing SO cautiously. I just got a rifle and literally just ran all the way back to the safehouse to squirrel it away.

Fistwell

First off...a question:

If I load up my last save that I did before my final journey to the end, will it start there or spawn a new survivor? Can you reach the helicopter? When I died, I had a virucide but when the zombie got close I had no chance to use it. It was just...dead.
I don't think you can load that save. It should show as "completed," and you can only erase it or something.

The sound design I thought was great. The music was terrifying and the zombie sounds were really well done. When you're in a quiet space and you are one on one with someone, the sound is very understated and you really feel alone with this thing.
Honestly thought it was a little crap. Sounds cues were uniformly off for me. As in:
1- zombie jumps me,
2- I fight it off,
3- would be scary music kicks in.
In that order, where 3 was probably intended to happen with 1.

Anyway, it's a great game.
Yeah, thought it was pretty great overall, even though the last few hours soured me up on the game a little.

how much of a chore is it to re-collect everything from the random CCTV spawns? Does everything gain a location right away? Is it staggered?
Random and staggered. For instance, after losing the
ak, I found a new one hours later in some random dumpster
which I was not even gonna scan as I was sure it was empty. But really, for most of the game (especially early on), you can soldier on with just a few rounds and the bat.

Do weapon upgrades persist?
They do.

Sanctuary

This does absolutely nothing at all. Nothing.
I didn't wait for the credits with my first clear, and I did on the second to see if I had missed anything, or if you are somehow awarded bonus points for sitting through over ten minutes of scrolling text. Nothing is different. The credits kick in at the most screwed up time too. Why the hell would ten minute credits pop up when you're still only 90% through the game?
What is different though is the health on zombies in Survivor mode compared to Normal. After having cleared it on Normal twice without dying, I can say without question that zombies spawn on average with more health on Survivor. Most everything still dies to two headshots, but they take a hell of a lot more body shots for sure. Still, if you can finish it on Normal without dying, you shouldn't have any issues on Survivor since you most likely had a surplus of ammo with your previous clear anyway.

Mistle

Just found Neogaf user Mistle's body in brick lane. Totally just took all your loot. It'd be great if he actually lost that shit!

Just taken 'Bumhead's' shit too!
That's weird, I've died a few times since brick lane! I thought only one previous survivor appeared at a time?

I've killed heaps of friend survivors and stolen all their stuff. Sorry to those people, haha

Sanctuary

I got a message from EatChildren, thanking me for the loot, with a screenshot. That was my first attempt at my second no death run, and I died to a really stupid mistake.

In the top floor of the palace there's a zombie playing dead, propped up against the banister, and a spitter lying prone close to it. Normally I just throw a flare and a cocktail or just finish off one while the other is distracted. I was trying to line of sight the spitter and pull it to me, but I kept getting hit by the spit, then it actually lunged and caught me. I've found a much easier way to deal with that though. Simply take the silenced pistol and kill the first zombie with it before it even gets up, then rush the spitter and just kill it with the bat.

Also, mines are slightly more useful than I initially gave them credit--but not much due to how situational they still are. They are mostly good if you already know the maps and what enemies to expect.
They are best served against the riot zombies, since it destroys them and you don't have to deal with the monotony of the bat. Grenades do too, but they are much more useful and should be saved for groups that have riots mixed in.

EatChildren

So I think I finished? Endgame spoilers:
stocked up at the safe house, credits (got they went for ever), post game sequence rushing to the Tower of London. I got to the very top and the helicopter was flying overhead, then I heard a zombie and it flipped to a cut scene of shambling hoards, fire, and the chopper flying away. Did I make it out? It didn't really indicate I got on the helicopter. Maybe I died?

Top Bottom