• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zone of the Enders HD Collection |OT|

Esura

Banned
I think he might be talking about the PS2 version specifically. The game itself looks good on my LCD, too, but not the PS2 one.

Oh, I could get it to look good on a PS2 too.

I bought this multi pronged component cable that works for the Wii, PS2, PS3, and 360. Normally I use it for my Wii but I tried it on my PS2 on my TV and it looked like shit. However, hooking up the Wii and the PS2 at the same time and leaving the Wii off has the PS2 looking crispy as fuck for some reason. Persona 4 looks good on it. There are black boxes on the side but, still looks good.

Reiko

Banned

I bought this multi pronged component cable that works for the Wii, PS2, PS3, and 360. Normally I use it for my Wii but I tried it on my PS2 on my TV and it looked like shit. However, hooking up the Wii and the PS2 at the same time and leaving the Wii off has the PS2 looking crispy as fuck for some reason. Persona 4 looks good on it. There are black boxes on the side but, still looks good.

I play it on a CRT.

I would say it would look much better if the game had progressive scan.

I still can't stand the horrid screen tearing in the original.

I'm hoping that I can stand the 360 version's framerate. If its good enough it will be the "better" version for me. I can't stand screen tearing.

...I wish it was never pointed out to me in the first place. Can't un-see screen tearing.

Uraizen

Banned

Do you use any sort of special upscaler for that?

Esura

Banned
I play it on a CRT.

What's a progressive scan?

Do you use any sort of special upscaler for that?

Nope. I was looking for one but whatever shenanigans I pulled off by hooking up a Wii and PS2 at the same time did wonders. At first PS2 games were looking like blurry slideshows on my HDTV.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What parts are some of you playing where this supposed slowdown is present? I just had the screen filled with Cyclops, Mummys, Raptors and Mosquitoes and it never dropped below 30 fps.

Reiko

Banned

Nope. I was looking for one but whatever shenanigans I pulled off by hooking up a Wii and PS2 at the same time did wonders. At first PS2 games were looking like blurry slideshows on my HDTV.

Progressive scanning (alternatively referred to as noninterlaced scanning) is a way of displaying, storing, or transmitting moving images in which all the lines of each frame are drawn in sequence. This is in contrast to interlaced video used in traditional analog television systems where only the odd lines, then the even lines of each frame (each image called a video field) are drawn alternately.

Esura

Banned
Progressive scanning (alternatively referred to as noninterlaced scanning) is a way of displaying, storing, or transmitting moving images in which all the lines of each frame are drawn in sequence. This is in contrast to interlaced video used in traditional analog television systems where only the odd lines, then the even lines of each frame (each image called a video field) are drawn alternately.

So if it had progressive scanning it could improve frame rates?

Uraizen

Banned

To accompany this explanation, here's a small image to show the difference:

nE3SL.gif

Sorry it's not very big, but it gets the point across.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
What parts are some of you playing where this supposed slowdown is present? I just had the screen filled with Cyclops, Mummys, Raptors and Mosquitoes and it never dropped below 30 fps.

During my first playthrough of ZOE1 noticed that the only slowdown was the second I finish an enemy and it blows up. Almost every time, slowdown.

Loving the game again. Those years playing it repeatedly on PS2 are paying off, first playthrough on normal was ridiculously easy.

I forgot how short the first game is. I beat it in one sitting. Will beat ZOE 2 tomorrow.

Now all we need is ZOE 3 and a Fist of Mars re-release!

Edit: Slow down is prevalent during explosions(and ranged burst attacks), when flashy particle effects fill the screen. This is more so due to the engine, and not so much hardware.

Finished ZOE1, liked the mood and style of the game. The story was serviceable but with common tropes. And yes, Leo was super annoying at times.

Tomorrow I start ZOE2.

So the game is rated Mature, but how mature is the content?

I ask because I was wondering if it would cool to play this in front of my 9 year old. Figured he'd love the Mech stuff at least.

thanks parent-GAF!

Yeah the more I played the other day the more the framerate bothered me.

It's not completely game breaking by any means but god it is such a wasted opportunity.

I guess I will hope that somehow the PCSX2 guys will get it running smoothly in 10 years or so for a proper HD version. =(

Mechazawa

Holy shitballs ZoE2 is fast. And the standard enemies actually block and put up a fight this time.

I was prepared for neither coming off of ZoE1.

Holy shitballs ZoE2 is fast. And the standard enemies actually block and put up a fight this time.

Haha yeah I am loving my vanilla hard playthrough of ZoE2 even with the performance hiccups. I don't really play it below hard anymore but I usually had my PS2 save data with all the unlocks. Doing it with no homing missile spam is tough!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I play it on a CRT.

I think it can be forced to use progressive scan on PS2 using a certain disc, if I recall (there's some trick to it).

ZOE2 runs with a full framebuffer and doesn't actually rely on alternating scanlines (unlike ZOE1, which did use field rendering). It definitely ran at a higher resolution they simply didn't provide progressive scan support.

Salaadin

I ask because I was wondering if it would cool to play this in front of my 9 year old. Figured he'd love the Mech stuff at least.

thanks parent-GAF!

The ESRB says Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity

Im going from memory here but I dont recall any partial nudity in either game except for the new HD Collection intro where it shows a naked, no-nipple Ken Marinaris for absolutely no reason at all.

There are scenes violence and blood, though. One scene in particular has *minor spoilers*
a character take a gunshot wound and you seed the blood droplets floating through the air around him
. I cant recall anything worse than that but hopefully someone else can confirm.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How's the 360 version's framerate? The B3D test only had it like 7 FPS higher than the PS3 one outside of cutscenes but it sounds like the PS3 version dips even further...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How's the 360 version's framerate? The B3D test only had it like 7 FPS higher than the PS3 one outside of cutscenes but it sounds like the PS3 version dips even further...
They both run slower than the PS2 version but DO make use of vertical sync (which the PS2 version did not).

Unfortunately, the game speed is tied to the framerate so the lower it drops the slower the game becomes.

The ESRB says Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity

Im going from memory here but I dont recall any partial nudity in either game except for the new HD Collection intro where it shows a naked, no-nipple Ken Marinaris for absolutely no reason at all.

There are scenes violence and blood, though. One scene in particular has *minor spoilers*
a character take a gunshot wound and you seed the blood droplets floating through the air around him
. I cant recall anything worse than that but hopefully someone else can confirm.

Thanks man

I'll play it a bit before letting my kid sit in

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Skip all the cutscenes and you should be fine(They're all skippable. Last gen <3)

And the standard enemies actually block and put up a fight this time.

Enemies a pretty brutal at higher level ratings in ZoE1.

thanks parent-GAF!

If you don't mind explaining why Ken's boobs are so damn big, then it's really all good aside from
a single offscreen gunshot that connects.

EDIT: Ah beaten!

If you don't mind explaining why Ken's boobs are so damn big, then it's really all good aside from
a single offscreen gunshot that connects.

EDIT: Ah beaten!

lol

Shouldn't be too big of a deal. He watched Raiders of the Lost Ark a weekend or so back and that gunfight in the bar is pretty nuts (film was PG in the 80s).

MechaX

Okay, finished ZOE2 on the PS3 version.

Battleship segment and Crevasse Battle actually do run better than they did in the PS2 version. The Crevasse Battle still gets out of hand pretty quickly though, but eh, even when losing 8 LEVs, still got that S Rank.

Unfortunately, each and every Anubis battle is like playing in molasses. It's pretty disappointing when considering that the final battle with Anubis was a constant 60 fps in the PS2 version (even despite how the previous Anubis battles stuttered). Unlike most other segments in the game, the significantly decreased speed in the Anubis battles are immediately noticeable (and can even fuck up your timing at certain points).

In the end, it's playable and not an affront to all that is holy like the SH HD Collection, but it's still such a wasted opportunity and phoned-in effort on High Voltage's/Konami's part. Given how so many companies seem intent on giving teams the lowest possible budget possible, this is one situation where technical prowess and past experience would have shined in terms of getting a good transition to the HD consoles for these games (with teams like Bluepoint or even Hexadrive). Handing it off to a team like High Voltage, which not only has a pretty... mediocre track record as it is, but had no real experience in HD remasters, was a tremendously poor decision when considering that ZOE1 and ZOE2 would have been a great challenge even to the most skilled HD Remaster teams.

They must of had some serious problems during development because one of the razors when they were talking and tweeting about the game was that it was going to run at 60fps, like MGS.

In fact, Play.com is still using the original press release which specifically mentions the display. Fucking disappointment kitten. :(

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStati...-The-Enders-HD-Collection/ListingDetails.html

The series has been given a fresh new look, as the two classic titles are compiled for the Zone Of The Enders: HD Collection. Both games have been remastered with HD graphics and run at 60 fps.

I don't see why they couldn't just patch in a damn 30fps lock. Wouldn't that be better as it never dips below that?

I'd gladly take a locked image PQ/consistancy over, frankly overrated, attempts at 60fps. I mean, if you can't fucking do it, then just don't.
Like I still think they should have locked MGS2 on vita at 30.

Koroviev

I don't see why they couldn't just patch in a damn 30fps lock. Wouldn't that be better as it never dips below that?

I'd gladly take a locked image PQ/consistancy over, frankly overrated, attempts at 60fps. I mean, if you can't fucking do it, then just don't.

I agree with this 100%. Having a framerate that varies significantly and often only serves to emphasize the minimum fps.

Ridley327

"Overrated" is hardly a term to use for a game that depends on running at 60 fps to play at its most optimal. Forcing the game to run at 30 fps the entire game would just make it worse.

"Overrated" is hardly a term to use for a game that depends on running at 60 fps to play at its most optimal. Forcing the game to run at 30 fps the entire game would just make it worse.

ZOE doesn't strike me as a game that NEEDS to run at 60fps like say GT, Forza, or Street Fighter.
It's a preference/choice that the developer went for.

Salaadin

They need to wallpaper some of that art in the artbook. I want to use it as my desktop :(
Its really nice. My only complaint is that its not hardcover but Im over it.

Ridley327

ZOE doesn't strike me as a game that NEEDS to run at 60fps like say GT, Forza, or Street Fighter.

As it's been explained though, it NEEDS to run at 60 fps because the game speed is tied to the framerate. If it's 30 fps at all times, the entire game suffers as a result, as the gameplay is running at half the intended speed. It goes from being "High Speed Robot Action" to "Gently Trotting Robot Action."

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I'm inclined to agree

I mean it looks nice, like any game would

but the gameplay hardly demands it, which is why the original got away with its performance issues.

buuuuut

Since the original ran at 60fps, going to 30fps would just be a downgrade.

There's also this perspective, which is equally valid.

I think this discussion has been done to death in the previous topics though.

Wish more people had more things to say about actually playing the thngs

Eusis

And the big problem is the fact speed is tied to FPS. If it weren't for that I'd have probably kept my PS3 LE rather than keeping an eye on GameStop stock while considering if it's REALLY worth it, and it's dipping to "no" again.

Salaadin

Wish more people had more things to say about actually playing the thngs

Me too. I also wish more people would be able to look past the issues and buy it so we can get a ZOE3...but I cant blame them for not wanting to spend money on it.

But still, ZOE3 guys!

Eusis

Me too. I also wish more people would be able to look past the issues and buy it so we can get a ZOE3...but I cant blame them for not wanting to spend money on it.

But still, ZOE3 guys!
It's entirely possible ZoE3 is underway and ZoE HD is but a promotion for that, not a necessity for its existence. Especially since Konami's probably paying attention to WHY ZoE HD may not be selling.

As it's been explained though, it NEEDS to run at 60 fps because the game speed is tied to the framerate. If it's 30 fps at all times, the entire game suffers as a result, as the gameplay is running at half the intended speed. It goes from being "High Speed Robot Action" to "Gently Trotting Robot Action."

Couldn't they just reconfigure the gamespeed to sync with the framerate? Ala the Fallout 3 community made script that fixed the built in engine jutter that "iFPSClamp" couldn't do.

Ridley327

Couldn't they just reconfigure the gamespeed to sync with the framerate? Ala the Fallout 3 community made script that fixed the built in engine jutter that "iFPSClamp" couldn't do.

I imagine that if they could, they would have. A lot of Japanese action games are like that.

An update from an earlier post I made in this thread. I tracked down the single last copy of the PS3 LE in my entire state, had them hold it for me until I can pick it up this afternoon.

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about that

Ridley327

You see, I'm disinclined to believe they would have. I think High Voltage just wanted to go for 60fps, no matter what.

Oh well, they got my money either way...

Why wouldn't they have targeted 60 fps, though? The original runs at 60 fps. Why would anyone want a game to run worse than it was originally intended?

Top Bottom