• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zone of the Enders HD Collection |OT|

Eusis

You see, I'm disinclined to believe they would have. I think High Voltage just wanted to go for 60fps, no matter what.

Oh well, they got my money either way...
I think if that were the case this would instead become notorious as a sub-HD, non-v-sync'd compilation. Well, if the v-sync actively lowered FPS, I can't remember that being the case on PC but then most reasonably modern PCs can easily do 60 FPS+ reliably on many games.

Eusis

By the way: has anyone tried playing this in 480p to see if it fixes the framerate problems? If that actually manages to work I think I'd be content treating this more like a Wii-style port, going from sub 480i 4:3 to 480p 16:9.

Why wouldn't they have targeted 60 fps, though? The original runs at 60 fps. Why would anyone want a game to run worse than it was originally intended?

Targeting it is fine, but if you can't hit that and your frame dips actually affect the gameplay, than why would you be okay with that?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Playing for the ZOE1 Platinum makes the slowdown oh so much more apparent. 2 Rescue missions with Rank A done and 3 more to go. Really forgot how short this game really is. I've leveled ADA up to 7 and the 2 Rescue missions in an hour and a half. Another hour and I'm done.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure your problem is universal

I most definitely do not have slowdown every time an enemy dies, or for the majority of the game for that matter

and last 3 rescue missions are cake compared to the first two, so sounds like smooth sailing for you

RedSwirl

These HD collections are reminding me why we even like Japanese video games in the first place.

Maybe this is just because it's Kojima and all, but this and the MGS collection manage to have a shitload more personality than any of the shooters we're playing on current gen systems. I know we probably thought Leo was whiny back in 2001, but to be honest he's far more likable than any of the mass murderers of today's action games. Maybe that's just me feeling a breath of fresh air when he talks about how he doesn't like killing people towards the beginning of ZOE1, and then actually sticks to his beliefs when arguing with other characters.

Maybe it's better that we just have banter and such during gameplay or little walking scenes between battles instead of the long-ass, un-pausable cut scenes that plagued the PS1 and PS2 eras, but you gotta admit they were an easy way to inject games with personality.

Eusis

Grabbed it, was giving ZoE1 a shot again, only for it to lock up upon beating Tempest.

Well, at least the Rising demo was amazing! Not that I won't jump back in, it's just kind of annoying to try to dive in, enjoy yourself, and before very long the dumb thing crashes on you. Just ironing out those and dumb glitches would be appreciated in a patch, even if they can't do much about the framerate (though I hope they can do something at least.)

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I'm not sure your problem is universal

I most definitely do not have slowdown every time an enemy dies, or for the majority of the game for that matter

and last 3 rescue missions are cake compared to the first two, so sounds like smooth sailing for you

Just finished the rest of the missions with ease and got my gold trophy for all A ranked. Off for the platinum.

Another weird issue I've encountered is I switched TVs as I'm at work. Both TVs I've played on were 1080p anyways on the work TV the frame rate seems a lot more choppy. I dunno. Still loving the game.

Back I go for that Platinum.

george_us

ZOE2 on PS2 is the only game in existence where the slowdown enhanced the experience. Every time the game slowed down it was because 347 lasers were headed your way.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Yay! Got my Platinum.

Continues: 0
Difficulty: Hard
Time: 3:31
Saves: 21
Enemies Killed: 779
Rescue Missions: AAAAA

Esura

Banned
Ken Mayonaise is the hottest robot pilot in video games/anime ever. With Rei Ayanami not too far behind.

I forgot how fast you can beat ZOE2 on Easy, Naked Jehuty, and infinite Homing Missles... only took 1h:20m.

I didn't even bother to heal the LEVs in the big battle and they all still survived.

Yay! Got my Platinum.

Continues: 0
Difficulty: Hard
Time: 3:31
Saves: 21
Enemies Killed: 779
Rescue Missions: AAAAA

You have to beat it on Hard for the platinum?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I forgot how fast you can beat ZOE2 on Easy, Naked Jehuty, and infinite Homing Missles... only took 1h:20m.

I didn't even bother to heal the LEVs in the big battle and they all still survived.

You have to beat it on Hard for the platinum?

Yup. All I did was level up ADA to level 7 on the first area (Factory 1). Took me about an hour and a half. Then I played the game skipping all the sub weapons besides the Bouncer. Hard is barely any more difficult than Normal. Didn't die once legitimately.

To get the Overall A Rank trophy you need to beat the game on Hard in under 5 hours and have all rescue missions ranked A with no more than 4 continues (if more than 5 you get an Overall Rank of B;-) ). Remember that building damage in the first boss fight carries over to the first rescue mission.

Yup. All I did was level up ADA to level 7 on the first area (Factory 1). Took me about an hour and a half. Then I played the game skipping all the sub weapons besides the Bouncer. Hard is barely any more difficult than Normal. Didn't die once legitimately.

To get the Overall A Rank trophy you need to beat the game on Hard in under 5 hours and have all rescue missions ranked A with no more than 4 continues (if more than 5 you get an Overall Rank of B;-) ). Remember that building damage in the first boss fight carries over to the first rescue mission.

Meh, not going to go for it then.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. You can only get the overall A trophy via a Hard playthrough.

Why is that?

Can you only get an A rank on Hard?

Edit: oh I see. DIdn't know the time requirements. Figured you just had to A rank all rescue missions.

Glad I found out before getting too far into my 2nd run

Remember that building damage in the first boss fight carries over to the first rescue mission.

Isn't it the 2nd?

and any tips for minimizing damage in this fight. I ended up just spamming light shot and staying centered around buildings it already destroyed, then pulled back to the bridge area for the 2nd phase of the fight.

Not sure if that was enough though as I didn't play that far

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
For those that still want the limited edition, Amazon reopen their back-order with estimate delivery at Nov 9 - 14.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
and any tips for minimizing damage in this fight. I ended up just spamming light shot and staying centered around buildings it already destroyed, then pulled back to the bridge area for the 2nd phase of the fight.

Not sure if that was enough though as I didn't play that far

Stay close that he only uses his flamethrower attack as of doesn't harm buildings and like you were doing, lure him to the bridge area. When I fought him her destroyed a couple buildings but I cleared the rescue mission with 8.6% damage so I still got the A rank.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I must've spent 20 minutes in traIning mode alone just to listen to the music. Fuck western videogames. Otaku forever.

Is the Limited Edition worth 3x the price of the standard? Looking at importing it as EU don't appear to have the option of an LE.

I personally only got it for the art book, and it was only $20 more here. I can not recommend importing it for 3x the price. Just get the standard edition.

Tain

How many 360 games run better in lower resolutions? I know some Tomb Raider game does, but I think it's crazy rare overall.

Oemenia

Banned
How many 360 games run better in lower resolutions? I know some Tomb Raider game does, but I think it's crazy rare overall.
As somebody else has said, it depends if it downscales or actually renders at a lower res.

I do remember a number of early-gen games running better at a lower res.

Caesnd

I must've spent 20 minutes in traIning mode alone just to listen to the music. Fuck western videogames. Otaku forever.

Agreed. I just love everything about ZOE, from the frantic gameplay to the unique visual style and soundtrack. Here's to hoping Enders Project gets realized sooner rather than later!

Eusis

How is the framerate on a lower resolution?
Doesn't seem to improve, unfortunately, but I didn't do very serious testing. Then again I'd probably have immediately noticed in the early part of ZoE2 if it helped.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the FPS can be fixed just by adding an option to disable v-sync and AA? I know the original ZoE lacked AA, though ZoE2 did add it. Still, if it's not a low cost AA it might be an easy way to get the FPS closer to PS2's heights.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I really don't remember ZOE2 having this much motion blur. Seems that every light leaves a highway sized trail/smear. Tried on two different TVs.

I really don't remember ZOE2 having this much motion blur. Seems that every light leaves a highway sized trail/smear. Tried on two different TVs.

Wouldn't it be faster to just find some videos of the PS2 gameplay? The light trails are probably just more noticeable because of the slowdown.

Hmmmmmm i should have waited on this.

Never played the series before but heard good things and i actually bought it for the MGS rising demo (stupid i know :p)

First game is just , idk how to describe it, its just the same every stage lol but its ok, im doing the radar part at the moment and im lost at the second one so i gave up for a bit

Just starting the second game and its so much better then the first its crazy, i should have played that first

CE is nice though

JohngPR

Sorry if this has been asked before but is the whole pressure sensitive button thing missing from the 360 version that big of a deal? I've been playing AC3 so I haven't even opened up my copy. If it's that much of a deal breaker, I'll change it out for the PS3 version...even if that's the "inferior" of the HD versions performance wise.

Llyranor

Playing ZoE2 properly for the first time (played a little bit of the missions at a friend's a while ago - and that sold me on it). Just got to Mars and beat
Vic Viper
. That was a surprisingly tough fight, even on Normal (took me at least 5+ retries; very satisfying to finally win.

Amazing game so far. Gameplay is fast-paced, incredibly fluid and lots of fun. The framerate (360, installed) hasn't been a bother so far, although I did notice some slowdowns once too much stuff was going on in that last boss fight. So far, it hasn't impacted my experience, though. I actually quite enjoy the anime feel of the game, too; it actually doesn't grate on my nerves!

Top Bottom