• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zone of the Enders HD Collection |OT|

son of a...

so I have a "We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. It will ship separately. You can cancel at any time." On my Amazon order for my 2 PS3 LE copies....I don't know if it is because of Sandy or because I wont be getting my copies. I preordered when it went live too. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise lol.

Yeah, softcover is a bit disappointing, but so is everything else.

Anyways, my copy of the PS3 LE has not shipped, but I do have Nov. 1 as an estimated delivery date. I don't know what this means. I was the second batch, when they brought up more pre-orders. I thought they might not have had enough, but based on your post and cancellations due to not being a great port, who knows.

I have never had anything ship from anywhere other than Kentucky, but I suppose it is possible Sandy has somehow affected these at a hub point, although unlikely.

If I don't get it I don't get it, and Amazon makes the decision easy. We'll see.

Picked up my copy after our AC3 midnight launch. Sold a surprising amount of ZOE too. PS3 seems to be the most popular too!

The gamestop preorder bonus is a reversible poster, one side is the anubis image used for the collector's edition, the opposite is of Metal Gear Rising. I can get a picture if anyone is curious.

Pretty tired atm, will play it in the morning

Picked up my copy after our AC3 midnight launch. Sold a surprising amount of ZOE too. PS3 seems to be the most popular too!

The gamestop preorder bonus is a reversible poster, one side is the anubis image used for the collector's edition, the opposite is of Metal Gear Rising. I can get a picture if anyone is curious.

Did you get the limited or standard edition?

Jawmuncher

I'd love a picture!
Since I didnt even know a poster was a preorder bonus at gamestop.

Ah, so its more...arcade-y. Cool. Its something I wish more mech games did instead of making me feel like I'm controlling a tank with boosts although I've gotten used to those over the years. I understand why they do that since its more "realistic" I guess.

I miss Virtua On Ontario Tangram...no hope for a re release on that I wager....
Get Gundam Extreme VS.

Bumhead

Banned
Would be interested to hear some hands on impressions from Gaffers regarding the PS3 version. Really interested in this game but the technical issues are a little offputting.

Disclaimer: I bought and enjoyed Bayonetta on PS3 in spite of it's own problems. Maybe I have low standards but if baring that in mind will I still enjoy ZOE?

Jawmuncher

Would be interested to hear some hands on impressions from Gaffers regarding the PS3 version. Really interested in this game but the technical issues are a little offputting.

Disclaimer: I bought and enjoyed Bayonetta on PS3 in spite of it's own problems. Maybe I have low standards but if baring that in mind will I still enjoy ZOE?[/QUOTE]

Yes you will

So I cancelled my PS3 LE in time, but had forgotten that I also apparently placed an order for the standard version from Newegg when they had it for $29.99... Oh well fuck it ill give it a shot.. That soft cover book looks cheap as fuck anyways.

I really wanted the LE myself and probably stood for 5 minutes holding it in my hands and debating the price at the store.

I love the ZOE series so much but I just couldn't afford the price this month.

I am sure I will find a super cheap copy in the corner of some Japanese game store in a few years so I will just buy it then. lol

Excellent advice!

Video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io80BReQZiE&hd=1
Watched it like right now, holy shit at that Strike Noir o_O

D4FGn.png

Yeah, Strike Noir was on point there. :O

Also, my copy just shipped. Hopefully Hurricane Sandy can send it faster across the Atlantic to me. :S

Goddamn even if the LE art book is paperback I am still disappointed that I couldn't afford the LE this month. Goddamn is there such thing as reverse buyers remorse... I WISH I PAID MORE AND GOT MORE! lol

JKTrix

Play-Asia just shipped my Konamistyle version.

+1 for getting people to buy/play Gundam Extreme Vs, if they want the other best mech game out there.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Credit goes to cj_iwakura for the cool series origins write-up added to the OP

JKTrix

Also don't forget to click L3 and/or R3 (or their Xbox equivalents) to respond to ADA in ZOE2. Because it always seems someone is surprised that that feature exists.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Click Right for Yes Click Left for No should have been the subtitle

Naked Lunch

So would you say it's better than Armored Core For Answer? I love the shit out of that game. Only mech game that made me feel like I was in an episode of RahXephon or something.
ZOE2 is no doubt one of the greats. They are completely different games - but I find For Answer has way more replay value and is way more difficult. Builda mecha cannot be matched either. I could only find myself able to play thru ZOE2 once. Its still a great game though.

Definitely, different kinds of games though. AC is big stompy(if boosted) mechs, ZoE is lightning fast.
For Answer is at least 10 times faster than ZOE, sorry. You might be thinking about the other AC games - but not For Answer. I would even say ACFA might be the fastest 3rd person game ever.

Tobe

So I posted this on the buy/sell/trade thread. Please gaf help me out.

WTB
Zone of enders Limited Edition for 360.

(I usually buy from amazon and ship it to a friends house since I can't do that cause there is no stock on amazon I have to buy from GameStop problem is that GS doesn't allow international credit cards, I'm actually just wanting someone help me buy it NEW and ship it to my friends house.) I can pay pal the money immediately

Kaibutsu

*sigh* I guess it ultimately comes down to what's more important to me. Pressure sensitive buttons and preferred controller on the PS3 or a consistent +10 frame rate on the 360. My PS3 LE version should arrive today from Amazon but I just called my local Gamestop and they have the 360 LE version in-stock. I watched the entire comparison video and the differences didn't bother me too much but there's something about having the best version of a game.... A serious question though, in everyone's opinion, if the frame rate for a game on average is 30+ is there really much of a difference from an avg 32 fps to avg 42 fps? Just curious on what people thought about that.

Eusis

*sigh* I guess it ultimately comes down to what's more important to me. Pressure sensitive buttons and preferred controller on the PS3 or a consistent +10 frame rate on the 360.
Was there confirmation of pressure sensitivity on the PS3?

EDIT: Nevermind, saw that this was confirmed by the person asked earlier. Late thanks for that!

Hopefully Gamestop.com will ship my 360 LE version soon. I'm extremely excited as I have (somehow) never played ZOE. Actually, I've never watched a trailer or looked at more than maybe 5 screenshots through the years. This is coming from someone that owns multiple copies of nearly every MGS game, has Snatcher for Sega CD, and has watched playthroughs of the translated Policenauts.

I'm super excited!

DeVeAn

Damnit why is the ps3 version gimped? Also that collectors edition is weak don't understand the excitement for it. Maybe I should pass on this since my PC can run my ps2 copies.

scy

Hearing about the issues with the PS3 version almost got me to switch to the 360 version.

Then I remembered I have no idea where my 360 is. And my PS3 version shipped already anyway.

Well, I went to my EBGames this morning to grab a copy of NFSMW and mentioned that I wasn’t going to pick up my PS3 Zone of the Enders LE that I had waiting for me. Thankfully, they had an extra 360 LE which I grabbed instead. I just couldn’t miss out on the art book and it’s nice to know that I have the "best" version (aside from my original ZOE 2 PS2 copy). Feels good.

IMAGE_21ADD947-884D-4891-BD04-705685EBB1E5.JPG

IMAGE_3D047274-3241-42BB-8A15-B89AE7329EE2.JPG

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
My other Gamestop has an extra X360 LE. I'll be switching from the PS3 to X360 version. Not sure if I'll still keep it though, lol

Tizoc

Well, I went to my EBGames this morning to grab a copy of NFSMW and mentioned that I wasn’t going to pick up my PS3 Zone of the Enders LE that I had waiting for me. Thankfully, they had an extra 360 LE which I grabbed instead. I just couldn’t miss out on the art book and it’s nice to know that I have the "best" version (aside from my original ZOE 2 PS2 copy). Feels good.

IMAGE_21ADD947-884D-4891-BD04-705685EBB1E5.JPG

IMAGE_3D047274-3241-42BB-8A15-B89AE7329EE2.JPG

Could you provide your impressions once you've played it please? I don't own a 360 but just want to know how the ports are on 360.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Got mine

The soundtrack is the Remix tracklist I posted earlier in the thread

CE takes more after the Peace Walker collector's than the MGS collection, but the artbook itself is still really high quality. Alot better than what came with Peace Walker.

Pretty satisfied with it as something I just put on my shelf under my MGS one and plan tonot touch anytime in the foreseeable future.

Not a bad bonus for what is otherwise no different than a full price game price wise.

Installing Rising Demo while making a sandwhich. Prolly gonna play that a bit before diving into ZoE1

JKTrix

I'm actually curious how different/not different the art book will be from this, which I already own and was the first thing I ever imported.

LA801l.jpg

Good thing I know the version I'm getting also has other books that should be newer.

Salaadin

Installing Rising Demo while making a sandwhich. Prolly gonna play that a bit before diving into ZoE1

This cracks me up considering thats what I did when ZOE1 first came out....bought the game, played the MGS2 demo before anything else.
No real point to this post. You just brought back some memories :p

cjkeats

I knew I should've pre-ordered. I was gonna do the trade deal at Future Shop for the regular version, but that collectors edition looks sexier than I thought.
Won't get to the stores till late, maybe I'll get lucky. I don't think there were many pre-orders in my area anyways.

Muffdraul

There *ARE* actually games which requires a Dual Shock 2 in order to run.

Silent Hill 2 won't even start without one and I'd imagine MGS2 would fail to run as well (it's impossible to play on PS2 without those buttons).

The Bouncer required DS2. Its combos were dependent on pressure sensitivity, triggered by pressing the buttons soft or hard. Pretty cool once you got used to it.

Debating if I want to pick up the LE from Amazon or just do the B2G1 free from Target.

Could basically pick it the regular version and AC3: Liberation and get Pokemon Black 2 free...

Cheska

Debating if I want to pick up the LE from Amazon or just do the B2G1 free from Target.

Could basically pick it the regular version and AC3: Liberation and get Pokemon Black 2 free...

Well I believe both the LE's from Amazon are out of stock for now, the PS3 version says it'll ship in 1-3 months...you may have better luck finding a copy at Gamestop.

Well I believe both the LE's from Amazon are out of stock for now, the PS3 version says it'll ship in 1-3 months...you may have better luck finding a copy at Gamestop.

It's for PS3 and that's what I'm debating on... Since I probably won't be playing the game in the near future.

Was just wondering if it was worth it is all.

Playing ZOE1 (PS3) now.

The Good:
-HD and pretty damn smooth for the most part. Hard to divorce what might be slowdown versus the simple fact that you get none of the best toys from the sequel, but it feels better
-You can press start at any time to skip cutscenes
-Obviously Jehuty plays a bit clunky compared to ZOE2 but I pretty much got the hang of it within 10 seconds or so

The Bad:
-Obviously they didn't figure out the proper game flow until ZOE2; can't say anyone enjoys hunting down robot mobs for passcodes
-The original script is awful, not sure if they re-recorded lines or not but it sounds about the same. Pretty sure in an ideal world they would have retranslated it.
-Inexplicably Konami decided to pony up the money for a brand new ZOE1+2 anime cutscene when the disc boots up, but *didn't* spend anything on bringing ZOE1 cutscenes up to even last-gen standards. Which is a shame because the game badly needs it; every cutscene is lacking tremendously in polycount, textures (this is before toon-shading folks) and VFX. It not only looks noticeably worse than the real-time graphics, but as best I can tell they just 2x'd the original video files and maybe applied a bit of after-the-fact filtering to smooth it out. (To me it basically looks like when you switch to an SD channel on your HDTV)

Just a shame since the new cutscene is both a spare part and nowhere near as good as the E3 ZOE2 video it shares the music with.

Not really bad, but a missed opportunity:
-ZOE1 and ZOE2 are basically bookends of a short term, multi-game story, so it's really kind of a shame they just went for the quick-and-dirty HD remix and not the Criterion "here's the vision" approach. In an ideal world (yeah, budgets, I know...) they pretty much could have recoded the particle engine, merged the two games into one, and add in the extra content (web, ZOE 2171 IDOLO, maybe even FoM) to fill in the gap.

But by dropping all of the extra stuff there really isn't even context anymore; you just get your two games on one Blu-Ray and if you really wanted to know how the two games connect, head to Google.

I'm actually curious how different/not different the art book will be from this, which I already own and was the first thing I ever imported.

I'd have to spend some time later to look through the pages to see what is different but my initial impression is certainly that the Anubis book has a lot more content. That being said this is easily the best CE art book I can remember owning; it's full-size, has a significant number of pages and seemingly half the book is in color. The CE box itself is a bit fragile (nowhere near as sturdy as FFX-2) and the CD is in a cardboard sleeve but otherwise still feels like good value.

Okay, I never knew about the OVA and anime. Should I watch the OVA and the anime before playing the game?

It seems like the OVA and the first twelve episodes of the anime are a prequel to the first ZOE. Do the rest of the anime episodes take place between ZOE 1 and 2?

I'm so confused :(

EDIT: Also, just before I get into the story of the games, is it all wrapped up at the end of The 2nd Runner, or are things left open (i.e. does it pull an MGS4 or an MGS2)?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does ZOE 2 compare to the first game? I only ever played the first one and loved it, but although I was amazed by the graphics and presentation of the sequel, I never bought it. I think at the time I read that the style of combat had changed and I preferred that of the first game.

Top Bottom