• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zone of the Enders HD Collection |OT|

Chamber

love on your sleeve
How does ZOE 2 compare to the first game? I only ever played the first one and loved it, but although I was amazed by the graphics and presentation of the sequel, I never bought it. I think at the time I read that the style of combat had changed and I preferred that of the first game.

ZOE2 blows the original out of the water in every conceivable way and I'm actually a fan of the first game unlike most.

Salaadin

ZOE2 blows the original out of the water in every conceivable way and I'm actually a fan of the first game unlike most.

Im a fan of the original too and I agree with this statement.

Its hard for me to imagine anyone that loved ZOE1 not liking ZOE2. Its an improvement in nearly every way.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I enjoyed ZOE1, and ZOE2 blows it away 100 times. ZOE2 is a FAR FAR better game. Also, Dingo is awesome.

Having to wait an extra month for the UK version is quite frustrating. Even to the point that I'm not sure if I'll still be interested in the game by then. (Importing is too much of a hassle as well)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How does ZOE 2 compare to the first game? I only ever played the first one and loved it, but although I was amazed by the graphics and presentation of the sequel, I never bought it. I think at the time I read that the style of combat had changed and I preferred that of the first game.

I disliked the story in 2 alot more than the first, but other than that two is the better, more focused action game

I like both games about the same really. Not the biggest fan in the world of this series but I'd play a new one if it ever saw the light of day

Okay, I never knew about the OVA and anime. Should I watch the OVA and the anime before playing the game?

It seems like the OVA and the first twelve episodes of the anime are a prequel to the first ZOE. Do the rest of the anime episodes take place between ZOE 1 and 2?

I'm so confused :(

EDIT: Also, just before I get into the story of the games, is it all wrapped up at the end of The 2nd Runner, or are things left open (i.e. does it pull an MGS4 or an MGS2)?

From what I remember, the anime completely takes place before the events of ZOE1. As for the ending of ZoE2, there's definitely a sense of finality.

It has a transformable Vic Viper!

My order just shipped. Can't wait. Briefly played ZOE1 to the first boss. Didn't even touch ZOE2, so this is almost like a whole new experience.

DeVeAn

Went out no one carries the ZOE collection. Why aren't all games digital downloads? I would love never having to go to a best buy etc. ever again.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Went out no one carries the ZOE collection. Why aren't all games digital downloads? I would love never having to go to a best buy etc. ever again.

Yeah, this seems like a limited release almost. Maybe have to start pre-ordering any HD collection that doesn't have a Metal Gear/God of War level fandom.

SkyOdin

Okay, I never knew about the OVA and anime. Should I watch the OVA and the anime before playing the game?

It seems like the OVA and the first twelve episodes of the anime are a prequel to the first ZOE. Do the rest of the anime episodes take place between ZOE 1 and 2?

I'm so confused :(

EDIT: Also, just before I get into the story of the games, is it all wrapped up at the end of The 2nd Runner, or are things left open (i.e. does it pull an MGS4 or an MGS2)?

Alright, the OVA, ZOE: Idolo, was originally packaged with ZOE 1 in Japan (maybe as part of a LE set). It is set several years before the events of ZOE 1, and is somewhat tied into it. The anime, ZOE: Dolores, i, is a sequel to Idolo, and takes place around the same time as ZOE 1. The events of ZOE 1 take place about halfway through the anime, and the anime thus references the events of the first game, but the main characters of the game don't appear in it.

I would actually recommend playing ZOE 1 before watching either Idolo or Dolores, i. I think that makes the story of ZOE 1 more effective.

For the record, there was also a GBA game called Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars produced after ZOE that takes place between it and ZOE 2. Unlike the PS2 games, it is a strategy RPG very similar to Super Robot Wars in gameplay and tone. It takes place chronologically after the end of the anime series. It is pretty disconnected from the other parts of the ZOE story, though.

There was also a series of short stories published online leading up to ZOE 2's release on the ZOE 2 website, that helped explain the gap between the two PS2 games. You can still find those here if you click on "story between".

Timeline wise, ZOE 2 brings the plot established in ZOE 1 to a definitive close, but I think that there remains quite a bit of room to establish a new story set in that world. ZOE concludes the current conflict, but doesn't resolve the underlying causes for it, which are deeply rooted in the setting. After all, the two anime productions have their own, completely independent story, while the GBA game has its own self-contained story, all of which draw upon the same fundamental roots as the PS2 games' story. So the universe has already demonstrated a certain flexibility.

edit: BTW, ZOE: Dolores, i is a pretty fun anime series. I would recommend it as a really good entry anime. The moe-averse in particular don't have to worry, since the main lead of the anime is a man in his 50s with two grown children. It is really fun.

Yuterald

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but are the PS3 versions worse (performance wise) than the PS2 versions? I know the games aren't optimal, but just how bad could it be? Basically, does the framerate fall below what the PS2 games could handle? I also read that ZOE2 is a lot worse off than the original.

I already own both of the original games and completed them in their entirety back in the day, but I love these two games and I really want the MGR demo, lol! I have a PS3 LE reserved, but I'm not sure if I should pick it up if it's truly a terrible port. Does anyone know how rare these are going to become?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

Second Runner is better than the original in every single way. No comparison.

What are the odds that the 360 LE will increase in value? I'm on the fence whether I should open this.

It will but not as much as the PS3 version. The PS3 version of MGSHD LE is a perfect example.

overcast

Brother just bought the collection on 360, haven't played these games before so this is great. Though I won't get around to it for a while, I'll watch bits and pieces.

2nd Runner may be my favorite game from last gen. The 1st game was good considering it was just a game to buy to get the MGS2 demo but the 2nd is better in every way.

Yuterald

Second Runner is better than the original in every single way. No comparison.

Second Runner is definitely a better game, but I still love the original game and I don't think it's without its merits. I mean, there wouldn't be a second game if the first one didn't exist, right? There was good groundwork laid out in the original ZOE. Also, the intro scene was fucking awesome in the first game. I don't think I would have enjoyed some parts of ZOE2 if I didn't play the first one. Story/Character Spoilers:
Seeing Leo grown up for the first time in ZOE2 was an amazing moment for me.
I really enjoyed the characters/universe/plot in the original game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the questions the ending ZoE1 left me with more than I liked the answers ZoE2 provided :x

ZoE2 didn't live up to the potential of its parts. Sending a dying/dead guy on what is supposed to be a suicide mission without his knowing is a really cool premise. ZoE2 doesn't fully commit to either idea though.(Jehuty's suicide mission or Dingo being mortally wounded) No idea why with how morbid the first game was but whatever

Got A rank on first SOS mission. 4 more to go

My strategy is to get as many groups targetting me as possible so more of them randomly shoot at me in the sky instead of buildings.

MormaPope

Banned
Welp I'm about to pick up a copy for the 360. Played Zone of Enders 2 way back when it was released in 2003. Never played the first. Loved ZoE 2 though and for the first time we Americans get all the extra content that wasn't in our version.

It will but not as much as the PS3 version. The PS3 version of MGSHD LE is a perfect example.

Although in the case of the PS3 version of MGSHD LE - it was not the inferior version. I think that we'll see as much if not more demand for the 360 LE this time around.

Anyhow - I'm glad to add this to the Kojima stuff that I've picked in the last year:

IMAGE_592E8D0F-8F16-4A7C-92A4-98563D205757.JPG

Apparently the GS near my workplace has a good amount of LE copies for PS3, so I'll probably swing by and see if I can snag one after work (which ends in less than 2 hrs.)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I guess this is my luck. I got Dishonored, Dead or Alive 5, XCOM and Assassin's Creed early. Like 3 or 4 days each. Now, I can't find this anywhere on the day it comes out :(

SkyOdin

I liked the questions the ending ZoE1 left me with more than I liked the answers ZoE2 provided :x

ZoE2 didn't live up to the potential of its parts. Sending a dying/dead guy on what is supposed to be a suicide mission without his knowing is a really cool premise. ZoE2 doesn't fully commit to either idea though.(Jehuty's suicide mission or Dingo being mortally wounded) No idea why with how morbid the first game was but whatever
I share your sentiments. I think the first game had somewhat more effective and powerful story-telling than ZoE 2. It was a lot more immediately horrifying in terms of what was going on, more mysterious, and more focused (despite the meanderings of the middle section).

While ZoE 2 was a lot more refined in terms of gameplay, and was all-around awesome, ZoE 1 has all of the good boss-fights. In particular, the fight against Neith in the warehouse is the best boss-fight in action videogame history.

legbone

It has a transformable Vic Viper!

wait, what the fuck? why have i never heard this before. i loved the first zoe but never got to play the 2nd one. i have been tempted to pick this up. i think that statement right there sold me.

that should be a quote on the box:

TRANSFORMABLE VIC VIPER!!! YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT, YOU HEARD ME!

Sushigod7

Just got mine and I'm impressed with the packaging nice reflective orange not a great pic but you get the idea.

edit: So opening this up was interesting the art book was damaged on a corner and since its a sleeve over the book and game that looks like someone at the factory about ripped it before shipping. So I take it back not impressed with the cheap packaging. The exterior is pretty but inside it's a mess much like a hot high end hooker with daddy issues.

cj_iwakura

Really love the LE package. Shame about the port, otherwise I might've been all in for it.

ZoE2 really is a wonderful game, hope the newcomers love it as much as I do.

Just picked up the PS3 Limited Edition from Gamestop. Damn that's a hot looking box.

Now I will just let it sit shrink-wrapped in my gaming collection wall for eons.

MechaX

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but are the PS3 versions worse (performance wise) than the PS2 versions? I know the games aren't optimal, but just how bad could it be? Basically, does the framerate fall below what the PS2 games could handle? I also read that ZOE2 is a lot worse off than the original.

The performance issue is strange; on average, the PS3 version is a bit slower than the PS2 version. However, the gameplay quirk is that the entire game slows down to the point where Jehuty is still very responsive (I don't know if that is an engine quirk or just a side-effect of Jehuty having such insanely fast recovery times for all of its moves). However, even despite this, the PS3 version never performs as poorly as the PS2 version performed in certain spots. In other random spots, the PS3 version performs better than the PS2 version did in the same areas.

Not quite the best solution, but even after an ungodly amount of hours spent on PS2 ZOE2, PS3 ZOE2 is still perfectly playable.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Really? That's the first I've heard of that. Oh well, no way I was going for anything else because of the Transfarring with the Vita version (which is a great feature BTW).

I own the PS3 versions as well since their PS2 games to me.

But I heard that the 360 handles parts better where the PS3 game chokes up.(Volgin lightining, graznygsgsdfsdf grad.)

It doesn't really matter though.(I'm of the same opinion with ZoE collection)

I think people get too caught up in needing to think these things are the penultimate versions instead of just replaying and enjoying fun games

Ramune

wait, what the fuck? why have i never heard this before. i loved the first zoe but never got to play the 2nd one. i have been tempted to pick this up. i think that statement right there sold me.

that should be a quote on the box:

TRANSFORMABLE VIC VIPER!!! YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT, YOU HEARD ME!

Yeah, huge Gradius fan and I didn't know about this. Re-sold me on a game that's already on its way! ;)

This little boy in ZoE 1 and his whining annoys me. I hope he isn't the pilot in the second one.

Whiny little boys as mech pilots is a standard of the mecha genre.

Thanks for kicking it off Amuro Ray!

He actually is pretty cool in ZOE2 and his mech is BAD ASS

Top Bottom