• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zone of the Enders HD Collection |OT|

Yuterald

How many more VR missions were there in the non-NA versions for ZOE2? I still have my 100% VR Mission save data for my PS2 copy, hah! Some of that shit was tough. Are these more difficult than what was already included with the game?

Got my copy today. Pretty decent condition considering amazon has been fucking these limited edition boxes up lately due to poor packaging.

Anyways, kind of excited to check it out, so I might pop it in after I finish up my pre-Skyfall Bond marathon.

heyguysitsme

Neo Member
As I understand it this HD release is to see what the market interest is in a possible 3rd Zone game.

I like when companies do this because it always goes:

*puts out crappy version with bad framerate which doesn't sell due to bad word of mouth*

"See?! No one likes Zone of the Enders!"

geebee

Banned
At last! Join us brother!

cn6hC.jpg

Still waiting on my KonamiStyle PP to come in.
Why?

Coconut

Banned
I like when companies do this because it always goes:

*puts out crappy version with bad framerate which doesn't sell due to bad word of mouth*

"See?! No one likes Zone of the Enders!"

I really don't think framerate is the problem with ZOE. It's pretty weak on game play. As a beat'um up or a mech sim or even as an arcadey mech game. It lacks a gimmick to produce big sales numbers. With that said, Konami would be taking a pretty decent risk in producing, publishing, distributing ZO3 and it bombing.

My wife picked up my copy for me since I'm a bit under the weather. There's no way I'm going in to work tomorrow, so I'll be sure to give it a go.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot how hard ZoE2 is on hard lol

When in doubt, spam gauntlet lol

Homing Missiles and Decoy are really good as well in higher difficulty

Can't wait to play that again. Soon as I'm done with exams I'm in there

cj_iwakura

By the by, for you SMT fans, supposedly Kaneko doing the design work for a character and his frame was how they managed to get Dante in Nocturne.

special_01_01.jpg

special_01_04.gif

Eusis

By the by, for you SMT fans, supposedly Kaneko doing the design work for a character and his frame was how they managed to get Dante in Nocturne.
... If I didn't know better I'd think you were doing one of those Capcom/Konami jokes.

Anyways, no, ZoE is a Konami property, the Dante thing is due to doing some of the Devil Trigger designs for DMC3.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see the relation between the two

... If I didn't know better I'd think you were doing one of those Capcom/Konami jokes.

Rofl yeah that's what I thought

Anyways, no, ZoE is a Konami property, the Dante thing is due to doing some of the Devil Trigger designs for DMC3.

That too

cj_iwakura

Oh yeah. Ah well. We could've had Dingo in SMT3!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
maybe it's just for the japanese version

also, made it up to the second nepthis fight and i really can't play this game. :(
i didn't think it would be that bad but the framerate really is killing it for me especially after just recently playing it on ps2. it never seems to hit 60fps for more than a few seconds and it just feels sluggish and terrible. goddamnit.

maybe it's just for the japanese version

also, made it up to the second nepthis fight and i really can't play this game. :(
i didn't think it would be that bad but the framerate really is killing it for me especially after just recently playing it on ps2. it never seems to hit 60fps for more than a few seconds and it just feels sluggish and terrible. goddamnit.

I'm played the 360 version for about an hour and feel it's an improvement over the PS2 original in just about every way. Graphics are gorgeous and I have zero complaints about the framerate so far.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm played the 360 version for about an hour and feel it's an improvement over the PS2 original in just about every way. Graphics are gorgeous and I have zero complaints about the framerate so far.

comparing it to the original version of zoe2/anubis, perhaps it would be. the rereleased special edition of anubis has a lot of performance optimizations though, and runs much better.

frankly, a consistently middling framerate in a game like this feels a lot worse than frequent 60 with occasional big dips given how the engine updates logic. a LOT worse. can't speak for the 360 version though, but looking at the numbers it's only marginally better.

CronoShot

So I picked up the collection today and for the first time ever started to play ZoE1. Played for probably an hour and a half.

Ehhhhhh.....

It's not bad, but it's not particularly good either. Controls are kind of awkward (especially the camera), environments are bland and empty, Leo is the whiniest of whiners, and there just doesn't seem to be any real hook to the game.

Also, ranged shots (other than burst shots) are borderline useless. They're weak, they usually miss, and when they don't they're blocked. Sub-weapons don't seem to fair much better so far. Eventually I just started to boost into crowds and melee everyone to death. Seems to work 95% of the time.

Hopefully it gets better.

BLCKATK

The remix CD that came with the LE is literally a dubstep album, Wahahaha.

ZoE2 on 360 is great so far. I'm pleased. Just hit Mars. Honestly it's great just be playing these again. Lost my copies so long ago..

ZOE1: Interesting ideas. Some promise if expanded further. Dammit kid, lighten up. Kinda lacking.

ZOE2: OMGBBQQ! This is so badass! Ken's tits are huge!

Yeah I can still enjoy ZoE1 to an extent but it does get old fast especially when you know you are just a quick reboot away from the awesomeness that is ZoE2.

I might try to finish ZoE1 for the first time in years but I guarantee I will play this version of ZoE2 a dozen times. It is fun doing an actual vanilla hard run which I haven't tried in a long time.

The performance problems are too bad however. I can play without being distracted too much but it really should have had better treatment.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Also, ranged shots (other than burst shots) are borderline useless. They're weak, they usually miss, and when they don't they're blocked. Sub-weapons don't seem to fair much better so far. Eventually I just started to boost into crowds and melee everyone to death. Seems to work 95% of the time.

Hopefully it gets better.

Homing laser and burst charge shot are really good. Your main tools against the bosses in the first game.(I like the bosses in 1 better than in 2, which are more melee/gimmick focused)

but yeah the sub weapons are mostly bad. In 2 they're alot better.

Esura

Banned
Ok, I see what people mean by the stark difference between ZoE1 and 2. ZoE1 is ok but average to me, a 7 out of 10. But ZoE2 is awesome! Hell, the control tweaks, multi aiming, and more enemies on screen makes ZoE2 better already. It looks fucking gorgeous too for a PS2 game. Also...that opening. Found myself humming it at work. Really catchy. Nice song choice to use for the HD opening too.

Also, Ringo in just this first hour is much better than Leo. Much, much, much better.

One issue I have is that it feel considerably harder than the first one.

But if ZoE2 stays awesome like this for the whole way through this could be one of my favorite games of the year. I want a ZoE3 now so people need to buy this!

NateDrake

Ok, I see what people mean by the stark difference between ZoE1 and 2. ZoE1 is ok but average to me, a 7 out of 10. But ZoE2 is awesome! Hell, the control tweaks, multi aiming, and more enemies on screen makes ZoE2 better already. It looks fucking gorgeous too for a PS2 game. Also...that opening. Found myself humming it at work. Really catchy. Nice song choice to use for the HD opening too.

Also, Ringo in just this first hour is much better than Leo. Much, much, much better.

But if ZoE2 stays awesome like this for the whole way through this could be one of my favorite games of the year. I want a ZoE3 now so people need to buy this!

ZoE2 is a much harder game than the first. But it's too damn awesome to care.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

use your subweapons a lot. they're actually super useful this time and a lot of enemies have traits that makes certain weapons more effective against them. if ada suggests a weapon for the current fight, you can click the left stick to agree and she will select it for you automatically.

its actually a fun addition that not many people know about. any time anyone talks to you, you can click L3 to respond positively or R3 to respond negatively. in ada's case if you are overly positive or negative it will alter her attitude towards you somewhat, or she can stop giving you suggestions entirely.

ZOE2 is essentially the premise of the first game realized to awesomeness. I gladly bought PS2 game at release for full price. Team Kojima did some kind of unholy deal to manage ZOE2 on the PS2, they just threw everything at you on screen in an eyegasm of visual delights and speed.

Top Bottom