• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadtruck

-The rest of the roadblocks were also dumb and with each additional roadblock, my eyes rolled further back. Were they going to just sit out there all fucking day, all fucking week? What if Rick and co. hadn't piled into the RV? Were they all just going to be camping until maybe one day the group finally came out again? Seems pretty dumb. Seems like they want viewers who don't analyze anything to sit there with their mouths open going "Oh man, look it all them guys thar! Rick an' them is outnumbered, I tell you what!"

-The whistlers in the woods. We had a few hundred Saviors just sitting out in the woods, in the dark no less, not being seen or heard by Rick's group, and just waiting for their moment to emerge and start whistling? That was duuuuuuumb. Whistling is for the guy chasing the lone girl through the woods in some slasher flick. This just seemed like more "how dey do dat?" kind of stuff for simpletons to be impressed with. Sure, the whistle itself sounded creepy, but everyone out there doing it? You can barely get people to sing the chorus of a popular song in time at a concert. And all of them are ninjas? Are they same ninjas who threw the guy off the bridge and laid lumber across the road? Which one of them is Dwight's sensei? Clearly they've all been trained in the shadow jitsus, so Rick and friends might as well all die now.....Wait....unless Rick somehow discovers scrolls of the shadow jitsu at Negan's compound next season! Then it'll be a battle of the ninjas for jitsu supremacy! OH! I take it all back, Gimple and AMC! You've clearly done it again!!!!

Walkie-talkies.

The Saviors knew they were at Alexandria, it was mentioned by one of them a while back (was it Dwight?) So it is believable to me that they could have people planted around the place watching. Seeing a sick woman being loaded up in the RV basically only means one thing, they need a doctor, and only one is available.

The RV part Im still trying to figure out myself. I kinda wonder if Eugine squeeled. I recall Rick giving him a pissed off glare when they were captured and he seen Eugine sitting there.

The guy who pitched the series in the first place. He was let go by AMC, largely as a cost-cutting measure because he either (a) didn't like the fact that the budget was being reduced, or (b) some speculate that he was screwing with AMC by turning in "unusable" footage for the second-season premiere.

Glen Mazzara took over from him, but he was replaced by Gimple at the end of season 3. It has been suggested that Gimple took over in the first place because Mazzara botched Andrea's death and they had to reshoot it to make it more suspenseful and meaningful.
Oh I see. I'll have to look into it myself to further understand all this drama. What's your opinion on all this?
you are coming from a place of having read the comics already, and thus a place of entitlement to have SEEN WANT YOU SEEN'T and been satisfied, etc. I never read the comics and the finale felt like a very old school finale. You call it a cheap/shock value/gimmick but I saw it as the show runners using the material as an opportunity. Whatever.
I'm someone who didn't read the comics and was vastly disappointed with season 6, let alone the fucking finale.
Hardwick should have settled for : " I understand why the fans are upset" and peaced out. He's not doing himself any favors.
Agreed. I didn't read everything he said but there is no way fans were gonna go out quietly.
Now as for the episode, it was dishonest and it reeks of business decisions taking over creative and good story telling. that was one of the most important moments in the series and it was shat on. Negan coming in and taking someone the fans love without hesitation serves as a great reminder how unexpectedly dreadful this world is and the episode needed that moment. Instead, we are left with producers ensuring advertisers that an audience is returning next season.
yeah, although i'll say i still enjoyed it would semi-agree with you that it was quite slow and kinda dragged. i might even go so far as to say it didn't even have to be 90 minutes, the way they shot it, anyway. showing how powerful the saviors were was necessary but they had so many goddamn commercial breaks and it did kinda feel like it was dragging.
how so? Would seeing one of the characters beaten to death w/ a bat REALLY have made the scene better?
yes? you do realize that this whole scene is still going to come, right? what are you trying to say?
Would seeing Negan's other men burning to death (w/ Carol) have made her any more badass?

imo, it's just that people wanted to be sickly satisfied w/ the payoff of SEEING everything...
we are going to SEE everything eventually but because of literally a pathetic excuse to cliffhanger (a hashtag) we don't get to see it for 6 months.
so you haven't read the comics yet you are complaining about how the show 'cut' the comic reveal and left you dissatisfied? o_O

anyway, cut the whining.
what exactly are you gonna do to make everyone stop complaining? you seriously think we should just change our minds because some guy on the gaf who we never met (you) is telling us to?

Damn what a waste of a pretty good episode. I loved the tension and the mind games the saviors where playing on ricks group. And Rick slowly realizing that he fucked up. I even loved Negan's intro and the actor playing him, I though he dragged on a bit but that was part of the physiological torture. But that damn cliffhanger just left a really bad mark on that episode and the series for me. Yea i'll watch the season premier to see who dies (Glenn) but i'm not going to be that invested in the show that much anymore,that was pretty much the last straw for me.

I haven't caught up with this show at all. I'm about a season behind.

I used to love it, but weird pacing and cliffhangers have really muted it's interest for me. That said, I feel like just waiting for multiple seasons of this show to come out and then watching it has been much better. The pacing is much easier to swallow when you don't have the silly cliffhangers and mid-season suspense.

Honestly feels like they are trying to match Game of Thrones most recent cliffhanger. However, that one at least had some closure to it in a sense.

you are coming from a place of having read the comics already, and thus a place of entitlement to have SEEN WANT YOU SEEN'T and been satisfied, etc. I never read the comics and the finale felt like a very old school finale. You call it a cheap/shock value/gimmick but I saw it as the show runners using the material as an opportunity. Whatever.
That doesn't apply me, that was a garbage finale. I felt tense and incredibly nervous. Once the cop out happens, I don't care all that much who dies. The entire scene was fucked up. It's like ending Game of Thrones season 1 a few minutes before episode
ends. Many shows like GoT, BB have done them and people have not had huge issues with it.. but you know I guess that crowd is not part of the now now NOW crowd.

giphy.gif

Inception ends on a fucking cliffhanger and I don't see anyone complaining about it. One of the best endings I've ever seen in a movie. This was just bullshit. You liked it fine, but don't go around pointing fingers that the people not liking it was because they are part of the now mentality. The entire intensity of the scene is gone now, and I sure as hell am not going to feel the same once the premiere airs half a year later.

anaron

I also love how Negan's introduction hinges on him killing someone major and so brutally but the show can't commit to it (after building it up) therefore completely deflating his intro.

Oh I see. I'll have to look into it myself to further understand all this drama. What's your opinion on all this?

That it wasn't Gimple's fault. He knows very well how to do major moments from the comics in a slightly-altered or remixed way without sacrificing the spirit or impact of the original (the Hunters or "Too Far Gone", from what I know). Gimple stepped up in the first place because someone else (Mazzara) screwed the pooch with a major character moment. This had to be an AMC gimmick.

how so? Would seeing one of the characters beaten to death w/ a bat REALLY have made the scene better? Would seeing Negan's other men burning to death (w/ Carol) have made her any more badass?

imo, it's just that people wanted to be sickly satisfied w/ the payoff of SEEING everything...

What!?

A scene was literally destroyed for no reason. Even IF they decided to show the victim who the victim was without the actual beating itself, that would've been fine. It would've meant we actually get closure on a season. It leaves us with the gravity of the new reality these characters we know are going to have to live through.

That it wasn't Gimple's fault. He knows very well how to do major moments from the comics in a slightly-altered or remixed way without sacrificing the spirit or impact of the original (the Hunters or "Made to Suffer", from what I know). Gimple stepped up in the first place because someone else (Mazzara) screwed the pooch with a major character moment. This had to be an AMC gimmick.
it's just the thing is...if I were him and I was a self respecting story teller, I just would not agree to do that, you know? and if it means risking losing my job then what are they gonna do, hire someone else to approve that ending? at least if something like that happened the controversy of gimple's hypothetical leave would've been bigger and caused more heat for AMC. and it wouldn't be the end for gimple...he's a part of the most popular tv show (of our time), so he wouldn't have a problem finding work elsewhere.

cbox

Funny my heart wasn't racing at the end because I don't care who he kills/doesn't kill. The cliffhanger? Whatever.

I'm more appalled at the use of on screen blood they seem to have latched onto this season.

It's gonna be interesting to see how they promote season 7 while avoiding showing a good chunk of the cast in the next seasons trailer.

it's just the thing is...if I were him and I was a self respecting story teller, I just would not agree to do that, you know? and if it means risking losing my job then what are they gonna do, hire someone else to approve that ending?

Yeah, that's the thing. They did it twice. Have a problem with AMC? You're gone. There were even articles written around the time Darabont was fired that made it clear that the cast were terrified of speaking out because they didn't want to lose their jobs.

It's pretty much a given that the network does whatever it can to protect its biggest investments, to the detriment of everything else around (and even within) it.

It's a prestigious position. I'm not exactly surprised that Gimple is towing the company line, and this is coming from someone who actually defended AMC's decision to cut Darabont in the past.

how so? Would seeing one of the characters beaten to death w/ a bat REALLY have made the scene better? Would seeing Negan's other men burning to death (w/ Carol) have made her any more badass?

I agree with some of points and I've stated it before there is no winning in this for amc. Whining would commence regardless of how they finished the scene:

Oh they killed Daryl how stupid obviously just for ratings then they would lose viewers

They killed Aaron how cowardly of them. Same can be said for Eugene then they would lose viewers

Really they killed Abraham man amc doesn't have the balls to kill the Atlanta five then they would lose viewers

I even heard plenty of whining if they killed Glenn they would stop watching.

I'm not defending the cliffhanger I think they should have finished it. However the Internet and fans were ready to rage regardless of who it was or how it was executed .

It's gonna be interesting to see how they promote season 7 while avoiding showing a good chunk of the cast in the next seasons trailer.

don't worry the death will be spoiled in like two months when they start filming and all the pics lack whoever gets the bat

Yeah, that's the thing. They did it twice. Have a problem with AMC? You're gone. There were even articles written around the time Darabont was fired that made it clear that the cast were terrified of speaking out because they didn't want to lose their jobs.

It's pretty much a given that the network does whatever it can to protect its biggest investments, to the detriment of everything else around (and even within) it.

It's a prestigious position. I'm not exactly surprised that Gimple is towing the company line, and this is coming from someone who actually defended AMC's decision to cut Darabont in the past.

Pretty sure that Dale got a zombie to the tummy because he was pissed Frank got canned.

That it wasn't Gimple's fault. He knows very well how to do major moments from the comics in a slightly-altered or remixed way without sacrificing the spirit or impact of the original (the Hunters or "Too Far Gone", from what I know). Gimple stepped up in the first place because someone else (Mazzara) screwed the pooch with a major character moment. This had to be an AMC gimmick.
Considering how faithful he's been to the comics recently, and how he said the Negan arc and character were some of his favorite parts of the comic, I definitely think it's more on AMC than Gimple

I'm pretty disappointed that they teased the bashed-in heads in Nicotero's last episode, and then he directs the finale and we don't get the payoff. You just know Nicotero would have loved to make some gruesome prop

I agree with some of points and I've stated it before there is no winning in this for amc. Whining would commence regardless of how they finished the scene:

Oh they killed Daryl how stupid obviously just for ratings then they would lose viewers

They killed Aaron how cowardly of them. Same can be said for Eugene then they would lose viewers

Really they killed Abraham man amc doesn't have the balls to kill the Atlanta five then they would lose viewers

I even heard plenty of whining if they killed Glenn they would stop watching.

I'm not defending the cliffhanger I think they should have finished it. However the Internet and fans were ready to rage regardless of who it was or how it was executed .
They should have killed one of the untouchables and it should have been shown. People would have complained that they did but accepted it just like they have with Game of Thrones that only gets more popular every single year.. and they've killed far more main characters.

Pretty sure that Dale got a zombie to the tummy because he was pissed Frank got canned.

Yep. He asked to be written out because of what happened, then had a change of heart and tried to stay on, but his character's fate had already been written out and the network refused to budge.

I'm pretty disappointed that they teased the bashed-in heads in Nicotero's last episode, and then he directs the finale and we don't get the payoff. You just know Nicotero would have loved to make some gruesome prop

Yeah, that was some bullshit right there.

I knew it was going to happen and wanted to enjoy it but that ending just let all of the air out of the balloon. The episode does a great job of building up tension and dread and just when it peaks they undercut it, and you're left with a mix of annoyance and apathy. Cliffhangers can work well but they're supposed to leave you wanting more, not feeling like you've been cheated. This was handled poorly.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Absolutely. The built up tension was great and actually showing Negan take out one of the cast members in such a brutal way would have been an amazing holy shit moment. But instead we are being asked to hold on to all that tension for 6 months just to find out who got killed. It doesn't work as good that way.

They should have killed one of the untouchables and it should have been shown. People would have complained that they did but accepted it just like they have with Game of Thrones that only gets more popular every single year.. and they've killed far more main characters.
Then what we're eventually left with Rick and everyone's favorite Carl ?

border

I talked with some of my more casual-minded friends about the mystery death today. I am surprised how many of them are absolutely convinced that a major longtime character is going to bite it.

I think it will be Eugene, Sasha, or Rosita at the absolute worst. I have no idea how they can plausibly get Maggie out of the situation she's in.....not that plausibility has ever stopped this show's writers anyway #dumpster-armor

xaosslug

I know enough about it. That's a tired and old fallacy.

Again, cut the trolling. You make yourself look worse and worse every time you post.

yes because you

1) Have a fucked up scene that is shocking

2) Know who is dying

3) Complete the scene

It doesn't take much to figure out why they did what they did #WhoIsIt

Yeah, you are, because the comic did this scene perfectly and its impact became an instantly classic moment in the story.

Copping out removes a lot of the importance of Negan's introduction, which immediately set the tone for the next story arc.

They didn't accidentally miss the opportunity, they chose to. It's almost the inverse of the miracle dumpster, where this time we get to find out who actually dies, and who knows if they'll even follow through in the first episode.

They've designed it this way not for the story, but for the viewership, which is puzzling because last time I checked, this is the number one show on television and ratings haven't dropped.

It was a needless copout and an all out failure for fans and creators/writers alike.

again, what peeps are whining/complaining about (once again) is their dissatisfaction w/ how the scene/story played out. There is nothing inherently wrong w/ the episode - great action, no wonky editing, etc. Y'all just stay mad, because it didn't go how you want/think.

get it together.

i mean months later and peeps are STILL butthurt Glenn's not dead? Seasons in and peeps STILL don't get Carol?

I can't say that I'm upset, I'm more peeved at all the hype going into the finale if they were just going to do a cliffhanger. I understand that comic fans and fans of the show had certain expectations but I'm anticipating the season premiere more than I would be had the choice been more obvious. The tension and dread in this episode out weigh the massive carrot on the stick dangling in front of us at the end.

Sendero

Haha, finally managed to see it, and I can see why the thread exploded.

Now, to be fair, the chapter was pretty damn good (with just a couple of caveats). They really made a great job showing how powerful, well coordinated and resourceful this group is. Complete different scale from Alexandria or any other enemy in past.

Also, loved how Eugene seemed to have found "a way out", a slight ray of hope... just to be thrown in their collective faces a moment later. And boy, did Rick finally found how much of a cretine and dumb ass has been. Sure, this outcome might have eventually been unavoidable, but his decisions could have led it to full extermination. Which is part of my critic. Anyway, some thoughts:

1) Carol once again spelled the reasons for leaving. For those that (for some odd reason), were still confused. And as almighty as she is, she sure didn't manage to go that far.

2) Wonder if people changed the opinion of Morgan, after this chapter. Some might think that he broke his rule or something. He did not. He never seemed to be opposed to violence. He however, was full adamant to not do it, if there were other alternatives. In that case, it was either that guy, or Carol. And he did warn him. So, fair is fair.

3) I do not know whom those armored guys are, but if Rick had killed that guy in the farm (and from the back, the fucking coward), Carol would have died here. So, once again, Morgan comes on top. As a side note, I totally expected Carol to met another faction, and perhaps becoming their leader (even if briefly). So, will see how that goes.

4) When Rick met the 1st barricade, he acted incredibly cautious. Was thoroughly surprised when he decided to retire. By the time they found the 2nd (larger) one, it should have become apparent that they were being tracked even during road.

5) The only sane and intelligent decision should have been to return to the camp at that point. They had 4 people unaccounted for + Carol/Morgan missing. They weren't even certain that Hilltop still existed. And for all they knew, the Saviors might have been already invading Alexandria. Pushing forward was just idiotic (from their point of view).

6) As a side note, I never understood why they didn't come back to Hilltop to discuss the incursion, and how would they proceed in the future, etc. Hell, even to see if they could get more info on other communities to start trading. Had they had done it, they would have found pretty quick how the Saviors were not done yet. They truly believed they were the king of the area. Quite an oversight.

7) Negan's actor seemed taller than I expected. And while his jacket was cool, he didn't seem to rock it well enough. A bit too slim and slick for my taste. His speech was pretty amazing, and truly made a point to show how utterly hopeless the situation was. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing Rick drawing blanks with his face. Yes Rick, you fucked up.

8) I didn't expect Negan to be so.. sane. While we do not know his past (high ranking military, prepper?), he didn't seem to be mad angered or lusting for senseless violence. His explanation was coherent, and his personality is of someone collected, and intelligent.

9) Disappointed that he only decided to kill 1 person. His reasoning is flawless (he needs them alive to work), but given how many people they murdered, I think he should have punished them with 2 deaths.

10) Also, disappointed that he used that game to decide whom should be killed. I totally expected him to say: "Hey Rick, since you are the leader, and since you take good care of them.. you will be the one that will decide whom will die. You can't pick up yourself. And if you don't choose, I will kill 2 instead". You know, to make a point.

And it goes without saying that NOT showing whom died, is the most stupid thing the show could have done, for myriads of reasons. Can't believe they went that way. Pretty infuriating. Now the moment is gone. But the leaks will come. And no one will care. This could and should have been one the best chapters.

Surfinn

again, what peeps are whining/complaining about (once again) is their dissatisfaction w/ how the scene/story played out. There is nothing inherently wrong w/ the episode - great action, no wonky editing, etc. Y'all just stay mad, because it didn't go how you want/think.

get it together.

i mean months later and peeps are STILL butthurt Glenn's not dead? Seasons in and peeps STILL don't get Carol?

Just because people have valid criticisms doesn't mean they need to "get it together".

If you can't grasp those criticisms (whether or not you actually agree with them), that's on you, not anyone else.

There's nothing to "get" over Carol; they actively turned her character upside down with little to no development in order to get her there.

Anyway, there's plenty to be disappointed with. I for one loved the build up, dread and tension built over the course of the episode with Rick/co. and the saviors/Negan (some of the best footage created yet), but my god, what an absolute waste with some of the worst 20-30 seconds I've ever seen on the show. Looked incredibly fake and silly, total opposite of brutal, which is the ENTIRE point of that scene. To wake you up and bring forth the realization that Rick/co. aren't the only group who has successfully overcome the zombie apocalypse.

iNvid02

all that tension gradually building up throughout the episode, pulsating and throbbing, rising.. and the climax just dribbles out onto the floor

wtf was that, why

jett

D-Member
That ending is such abject garbage. Bullshit designed for the marketing machine to hype the mystery of who got killed for the next season.

Sendero

Wait, the person who got beaten will die? It sounded like Negan wanted to keep all of them alive.
They found pictures of heads smashed in the 1st compound they raided (when they went and silently murdered those guys while sleeping). We now know it was Negan's work.

Also, everytime we saw the Saviors, they would randomly say "we might need to kill one of you". Seems they weren't lying.

ElyrionX

They found pictures of heads smashed in the 1st compound they raided (when they went and silently murdered those guys while sleeping). We now know it was Negan's work.

Hmm ok. And who was the guy they were chasing across the woods and eventually hung?

Nafai1123

Banned

get it together.

The ending is what's inherently wrong with the episode, which is arguably the most important part of a season finale. It's literally the last thing people see of a show before a long hiatus. If you shit the bed (which they did), it tarnishes everything that came before it.

The episode was not bad, but the ending was so bad that it made the entire finale worse due to it. You can defend it as much as you want, doesn't change the fact that it was one of the cheapest and worst cliffhangers I've ever seen.

Sendero

Hmm ok. And who was the guy they were chasing across the woods and eventually hung?
I honestly think he was the horse owner (the one that Rick almost killed). But not sure if it's the case. The 1st Barricade team said that he was from the Librarian community (where Carol and Morgan incidentally stayed). It's unclear if Carol killed them, or he had already left.

In any case, they only got him to teach a lesson to Rick's group (they were closely tracking them, so they prepared it as a little show).

I think a majority of this anger also comes from how stupid amc thinks we are. The whole skype not working debacle was so cowardly on their behalf. Why not own your decision and stand by. Put on your big boy pants instead of force feeding kirkman and company dialogue that they clearly felt uncomfortable saying. No one believes any of the questions the skype users asked last night would be the questions asked after that episode.

Betty

Banned

What they're doing with Carol is dumb as all hell.

I know she carries a lot of guilt at times but when it comes to doing what needs to be done she's always been there.

Everything from when she found that crucifix has been a character assassination and she should have died several times by now as a result of the writers causing her to make mistakes she'd never, ever make.

I said this a few weeks ago when rumors of a cliffhanger started appearing. Someone needs to splice the baseball bat scene from Inglourious Basterds into this episode. Photoshop Negan's face over Donny Donowitz's.

Sendero

I think a majority of this anger also comes from how stupid amc thinks we are. The whole skype not working debacle was so cowardly on their behalf. Why not own your decision and stand by. Put on your big boy pants instead of force feeding kirkman and company dialogue that they clearly felt uncomfortable saying. No one believes any of the questions thebskype users asked last night !
Is this about the Talking Dead? Did they promise to response user questions, but only accepted bullshit ones?

Is this about the Talking Dead? Did they promise to response user questions, but only accepted bullshit ones?
They said they were having problems with skype live I believe so they took pre recorded question . One being will we ever get a shirtless Norman reedus scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom