• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCX

DCX
I live how they can try to justify the end of the story and arc upon swing of the bat and a new story and arc begins when they reveal who died.

As if it's not the same scene.

DCX

What was the explanation for how Daryl survived last week's apparent headshot?

Another reason that cliffhanger is terrible is that it gives the writers a chance to look at the internet reaction and speculation. It's never good when popular audience opinion is writing a show. Actually, the screen should've faded to black and they should have had a call-in number to vote on who died. That would've been tops. I actually would've appreciated the hilarity.

It also sucks that comic spoilers about that scene on the internet over the next few months may change the outcome of the scene on the show. I mean, we'll never really know for sure, but is terrible.

All in all, it gets a big eyeroll from me. Bad writing strikes again.

I DVR'd this due to the Royals playing last night and I planned on watching this later.

No I won't bother. What a terrible ending. I read that a cliffhanger was a strong possibility, but I held out hope that was false.

Now I am done with the show. The Glenn/dumpster shit and now this is too much for me.
See you in a few months

rofl, impatient?

They literally ruined one of the most memorable moments of the series because they wanted to create a hashtag so that people get roped into the next season opener to find out #WhoIsIt

You are being played, when a show starts making concessions in it's writing and story because they want to rope people in for the NEXT season, it's time to admit that whoever is in charge doesn't actually care about the quality of the show.

Think about it, they don't actually trust their own writing or characters to simply carry the fan base to the next season. Instead of us knowing #WhoIsIt and then thinking about all the consequences of that death that will drive the next season forward as well as ENDING THE FUCKING SCENE, they chose that the story isn't strong enough to carry people over to the next season and thus literally cut in half the final scene into two seasons.

Cliffhangers usually have some form of conclusion with the cliffhanger leading into the next arc due to whatever just happened at the end of the episode/season. Good cliffhangers are S4a, S4b. Prison arc is done, everyone is scattered and we get a conclusion to the Governor character. S4b starts with everyone scattered and heading to Terminus and ends with the majority of the group united and stuck in Terminus. Clear defined story arcs that have an end goal and reach them while putting the characters in a situation to launch them on their next season arc.

A good cliffhanger doesn't literally cut a scene in two for the sake of "WHO DONE IT!?". You're not completing an arc, you're not giving characters motivation for what comes next, you're just ending a scene before it actually ends.

It's embarrassing when people can't take criticism of their favorite shows, when I like something I can admit parts are shit, but when so much of a show is shit people need to convince themselves that what their watching isn't bad at all.
well said.

this show has had its fair share of cliffhangers, but they were conclusive. as oxymoronic as it sounds, although cliffhangers don't provide full closure, they at least properly conclude story arcs. this one did not.

The problem with the show is Scott Gimple. Since he took over from Glen Mazzara, the show has gone downhill drastically. This season was better than last, but you have to blame the showrunner for all of the issues. Honestly, every time Gimple is on the Talking Dead, I get annoyed whenever he opens his mouth.

So how do they pick up the scene next year? Since he already killed them is everyone just gonna be in shock or crying around a dead body on the ground with a smashed in head?

It seems that the Daily Beast has pretty much expressed my feelings about the finale.

But where that Lost cliffhanger inspired wonder and wild speculation—literally anything could have been inside that hatch; this was a show that believed in smoke monsters and tropical polar bears—The Walking Dead’s cliffhanger comes after it’s already worn viewer patience dangerously thin.

It is shame, because at times not only was this episode good, but the second half of the season was good. Of course that was until the last two episodes before the finale, which pretty much have been panned by most. Still I thought this is TWD's Red Wedding, they can't screw it up. Well they went from average to great (as Rick takes to the woods the level of quality jumps) to well fuck they did screw it up in the end. Also I do agree the viewer patience is thin right now. My Facebook is full of articles or friends posting about TWD, and guess what? They are all over it. I am yet to read a positive thing about it. To be clear I will be back in October, and I have a feeling a lot of them will be too. But after this, the Glen dumpster trick, and Darrell last week, I am not sure they can afford another stupid move like this.

Link to review I am mentioning:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...an-and-lucille-fail-to-deliver-the-goods.html

Catdaddy

They are right it WOULD have been one of the best introductions of a character on any show (at least that I’ve watched) – but only to screw it up by a stupid marketing ploy.. Showing the victim and leaving the implications for S7E1 would have been just as effective and less enraging than what they did. AMC did alter the audio after the first wack they distorted it, compared to the original that was circulating that wasn’t and some claim you pick out individual screams.

I remember the Dallas - Who Shot JR? and the Mr. Burns one and they mentioned the hatch on Lost on Talking Dead, the big difference is the showrunners have been setting up Negan and the fact a main character will get killed since early in the season and then failed to follow through as a cliffhanger (and there is the comic). The other shows while you though some of the things may happen, you didn’t find out until episodes before there was going to be a huge event. The Dallas episode still to this day is the #2 highest ranked network episode of all time(MASH ending is #1) – sounds like they are trying to kick off the next season with record high numbers (at least for the series).

I usually don’t complain about writing, but it seems like the B part of the season, anytime two characters get together they are trying to foreshadow the possible death of any and all of them- hell last night: Coral – Enid fight; Abe – Sasha and baby thing, Abe – Eugene making peace, Rick saying they stay together they will be fine and Coral echoing it only. Prior episodes had them to, but too tired to try and recall.

I’m not done with the series, I can say I’ll stop but I won’t – I do enjoy it cause when it works it works real well, just sometimes the showrunners or AMC make poor decisions (at least to me). With the exceptions of the small talk I mentioned and the ending – I liked the episode – and hoping that Steven Ogg / Trevor remains on the show and appears he may be Negan’s #2. Maybe I’ll just start rooting for Negan and gang – I mean they have Trevor!

All said, next season could shape up pretty good, lost in the shuffle is Carol/Morgan and the armored dudes
Kingdom?
if introduced should at least make it interesting. The Walkers are now just more of an annoyance instead of the main threat and I'm liking that angle.

The problem with the show is Scott Gimple. Since he took over from Glen Mazzara, the show has gone downhill drastically. This season was better than last, but you have to blame the showrunner for all of the issues. Honestly, every time Gimple is on the Talking Dead, I get annoyed whenever he opens his mouth.

Really? Glen Mazzara is a fucking hack.

Season 2 was literally one of the worst things on TV at the time, everything most people hate with TWD are in S2.

Season 3 was also pretty shit for the most part, and I'm pretty sure he was outed at the end of S3.

S4-S5 were great for the most part, while there will always be TWD peaks and valleys it's gotten really fucking bad this season.

Jacob4815

I agree.

Was Mazara fired after the disgusting season 3 finale? I hope Gimple deserves the same fate.

So how do they pick up the scene next year? Since he already killed them is everyone just gonna be in shock or crying around a dead body on the ground with a smashed in head?

As someone else said don't be surprised if they do a Negan/Saviors origin episode to the start the season, and we still don't know who died after the first episode (I have a feeling another show coming back this month is going to make viewers wait several episodes before they answer a question everyone has been asking, but hope I am wrong). Maybe the backlash from this episode will keep the TWD writers from doing that.

As someone else said don't be surprised if they do a Negan/Saviors origin episode to the start the season, and we still don't know who died after the first episode (I have a feeling another show coming back this month is going to make viewers wait several episodes before they answer a question everyone has been asking, but hope I am wrong). Maybe the backlash from this episode will keep the TWD writers from doing that.
Was there not a ton of backlash for the Glenn bait bullshit they pulled in the first half?

I would expect more of this fucking shit, not less.

JawzPause

What a pile of horse shit. Didn't think they could fuck that up but somehow they did. Wouldn't be surprised if they cop out and a side character dies

Was there not a ton of backlash for the Glenn bait bullshit they pulled in the first half?

I would expect more of this fucking shit, not less.

Probably too late to change it that much. That said I am willing to bet a $100 the blacklash over Glen was the reason they put that line in from Dwight ,that let you know that Darrell should be ok, at the end of last week's episode.

Gimple isn't the problem. This was absolutely an AMC decision.

Probably too late to change it that much. That said I am willing to bet a $100 the blacklash over Glen was the reason they put that line in from Dwight ,that let you know that Darrell should be ok, at the end of last week's episode.
I meant they're gonna probably do more shit with the writing and pacing to piss off the hardcore audience.

chick next to me at work saying that after gimple's explanation... it makes sense. some people are just very easily swayed, and satisfied, i guess.

Tv show spoilers

So how did the saviors know they needed to head to hilltop? Is the girl likes their spy? Did she poison Maggie?

En-ou

that eps was junk. at least they're consistent. there was like 5 mins worth of plot moving scenes in that hour. they really need to stop showing nonsense with stupid characters. I cannot tell you how annoying it is to watch morgan and carol. and then there's the dumb teen girl with carl. nothing compelling at all with this show.

and the other thing that's so annoying is them using the word "shit" for some dialogue to make the characters 'tough'. it is so distracting since we all know they cant say anything worse on AMC.

Downhome

I watched it last night before bed. I'm pissed, but part of me is also fine with it. I dunno, I loved the entire episode and that final scene was one of my favorites in the history of the show...until the non-reveal.

I'm not sure why anyone is saying that it can't be Rick or Carl. The comment he made, it could apply to either one of them at that point, no matter if they would be dead or dying.

There are other obvious reasons to make you think it wouldn't be them, but what he said there at the end shouldn't be taken as proof of anything. Heck, it would make him sound even that much more demented if he said that after picking one of those two.

This is gonna be a long, long Summer, haha.

QUESTION
So how long is the rundown with the Saviors in the comics? After Glenn's death, how long until the war & stuff?

Will it translate to the whole of season 7 and the finale would be Negan's imprisonment? Or would the story arc carry into the 8th season?

ZeroCDR

I'm not sure why anyone is saying that it can't be Rick or Carl. The comment he made, it could apply to either one of them at that point, no matter if they would be dead or dying.

It could still be Carl I guess, but Negan said (paraphrasing) if anyone does anything he'll feed Carl's remaining eye to Rick.. Which would be silly if Rick's head is caved in. So it can't be Rick, and very unlikely Carl under that context.

I'd also suggest Maggie is off the table as someone would have brought up the pregnancy after he made his final decision.

Fury451

Banned
QUESTION
So how long is the rundown with the Saviors in the comics? After Glenn's death, how long until the war & stuff?

Will it translate to the whole of season 7 and the finale would be Negan's imprisonment? Or would the story arc carry into the 8th season?

I forget exactly the comic length because I read the trades, but-

it could easily be carried out in one season of pretty tight episodes, but more likely it would need to be a season and a half, which means at least two. But considering they drug out the finale to the Governer arc way longer than necessary (should've ended with season 3), I would not be surprised to see it to go longer than that even.

It's just how AMC does it.

Compbros

QUESTION

Season 8? I wouldn't be surprised if it went into season 10

Even though I've been frustrated at times, I've been the happiest with Gimple out of the showrunners. There's been a lot more character depth with the show, along with a sensible amount of incorporating comic plot whilst still leaving the TV show as its own thing. (Like with adapting GoT, it's a case of if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.) Outside of TWD's incredible pilot, Darabont was trying to make a show that was extremely different from TWD's core, ie. the first season finale. The characters under Mazzara were about as logical and deep as a shallow puddle. Both of them of them were trainwrecks when it came to the treatment of their female characters, too - Carol and Michonne immediately become more fleshed out under Gimple's reign. (Poor Lori and Andrea, urgh. When your two female leads are universally hated, you've fucked up.)

That being said, at least the show used to keep the character death turn over from the comic book, which gave the first three seasons a momentum to the show that it currently lacks. I don't know if it's a decision from AMC or Gimple, but it's making the show sag under its own weight. The show is supporting Daryl, Carol, Morgan, and kinda-sorta Abraham/Sasha with large amounts of screen time where they didn't exist and/or had entirely different roles in the comics. On top of this, they've now added Negan and Jesus to the cast, who are huge characters going forward. It seems absurd that we spend an entire season building up to just one main character's death, when the second season took out multiple main characters in succession with no dramatic build-up. The show's only going to get bigger next season, and if they can't handle the screen time juggle now, it'll only get worse from here on out. I'm still annoyed by the treatment of Aaron and Eric all season, what was the point of adding Eric if they're just going to ignore the character?

the fact that he rolled with the decision makes him guilty too.

Considering everything that went down with AMC and Darabont, it could possibly be a do the cliffhanger or leave the show decision. That being said, the Glenn dumpster rubbish earlier this season probably didn't come from AMC, so who knows!

Downhome

It could still be Carl I guess, but Negan said (paraphrasing) if anyone does anything he'll feed Carl's remaining eye to Rick.. Which would be silly if Rick's head is caved in. So it can't be Rick, and very unlikely Carl under that context.

I'd also suggest Maggie is off the table as someone would have brought up the pregnancy after he made his final decision.

Well, like I said, it would make sense still if he meant it just in a very demented way to threaten the others. To show them how crazy he is and how far he is willing to go by even humiliating them.

I don't think it would be Maggie either, but it would make the most sense out of all of them concerning her condition, and he wants them to pretty much work for him. She isn't of much use as she is right now.

Oh well, we shall see!

Compbros

How far into the comics is the TV show at this point? No spoilers, just a general idea is fine.

I look at it like there's sagas and there's arcs: sagas are the all encompassing story and arcs are sections within. The governer was a saga while them trying to figure out who was the murderer in the prison was an arc. We're in the Negan/savior saga is entering what I'd say is the 3rd arc in about 5 or 6.

I live how they can try to justify the end of the story and arc upon swing of the bat and a new story and arc begins when they reveal who died.

As if it's not the same scene.

DCX

It's true tho, I was thinking the reason for the cliffhanger was that- so hearing Kirkman actually say it was kinda funny. The moments/events directy after are...well I'm not going spoil it.

RDreamer

QUESTION

I haven't read the comics, but that probably depends. How many episodes are they going to piss in our mouths with a shitty cliffhanger and call it good writing?

Ensirius

rofl, impatient?

They literally ruined one of the most memorable moments of the series because they wanted to create a hashtag so that people get roped into the next season opener to find out #WhoIsIt

You are being played, when a show starts making concessions in it's writing and story because they want to rope people in for the NEXT season, it's time to admit that whoever is in charge doesn't actually care about the quality of the show.

Think about it, they don't actually trust their own writing or characters to simply carry the fan base to the next season. Instead of us knowing #WhoIsIt and then thinking about all the consequences of that death that will drive the next season forward as well as ENDING THE FUCKING SCENE, they chose that the story isn't strong enough to carry people over to the next season and thus literally cut in half the final scene into two seasons.

Cliffhangers usually have some form of conclusion with the cliffhanger leading into the next arc due to whatever just happened at the end of the episode/season. Good cliffhangers are S4a, S4b. Prison arc is done, everyone is scattered and we get a conclusion to the Governor character. S4b starts with everyone scattered and heading to Terminus and ends with the majority of the group united and stuck in Terminus. Clear defined story arcs that have an end goal and reach them while putting the characters in a situation to launch them on their next season arc.

A good cliffhanger doesn't literally cut a scene in two for the sake of "WHO DONE IT!?". You're not completing an arc, you're not giving characters motivation for what comes next, you're just ending a scene before it actually ends.

It's embarrassing when people can't take criticism of their favorite shows, when I like something I can admit parts are shit, but when so much of a show is shit people need to convince themselves that what their watching isn't bad at all.

I came here to post my feelings about the terrible finale and the awful cliffhanger, but you just expressed everything miles better than I could ever do.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How far into the comics is the TV show at this point? No spoilers, just a general idea is fine.

This was Issue 100 and Issue 152 came out last month. So there is still plenty of material, Kirkman is pretty good about getting it out on time consistently.

Considering the show has the ability to mix in original material, it may never catch up. They could condense things if they wanted, but I don't see the point in that.

SyNapSe

I saw that if you go through Eeny, meeny, miny, moe based on their order Daryl is it.
I don't know if they'd go by that or not

zer0das

Banned
I think this is the moment I jump off the train. The comics just don't translate well to TV, or they're doing a terrible job of doing it. I'm supposed to believe they have potentially hundreds of people, and they covered every single route from point A to point B? How would you even go about doing that? The whistling was dumb too, after a point no one was whistling but they kept having it play over and over again. And the red paint rolling down at the end. Oh god.

WarMacheen

Garbage episode, garbage season finale, garbage cliff hanger. Can we just get the entire next season summed up into one webisode and put this show out to pasture.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Other than the cliffhanger it was pretty accurate. Loved that pee pants city made it through.

But shit, I had a negan voice in my head and Morgan just didn't fit.

Diablos

What kind of fucking finale was that? It didn't even need to be 90 minutes. So many stupid drawn out scenes.

Really getting tired of the writing on this show. I think there are some big issues internally with the writing and this "finale" is proof.

Honestly part of me wonders if they don't even know who to kill off yet. Do they copy the comic or do they get rid of Daryl? Doesn't Norman Reedus want out so he can do other things? Maybe they're all weighing it and trying to make the best decision.

Either way, that they would basically waste the better part of a finale for Twitter hashtag masturbation and other misc. hype shows how much they don't care about having a respectable plot.

It just gets harder and harder to watch this show and it seems like a lot more people are coming to this conclusion as well.

Blatz

Really? Glen Mazzara is a fucking hack.

Season 2 was literally one of the worst things on TV at the time, everything most people hate with TWD are in S2.

Season 3 was also pretty shit for the most part, and I'm pretty sure he was outed at the end of S3.

S4-S5 were great for the most part, while there will always be TWD peaks and valleys it's gotten really fucking bad this season.

Agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom