• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
They said on Talking Dead they intentionally used cuts so no one could try and "Zapruder" the footage to see who it landed on.. so no...

What about the pov shots from earlier? I don't see why else they included that other than as a small tip to the identity. They also said on Talking Dead they left some hints to the identity (of which to Gimple and Kirkman definitely knew, even if the cast didn't), and those are the only shots that so far qualify to me.

Of which it leaves Daryl, Glenn, Michonne, and Rosita as the narrowed down candidates.

Daryl's or Rosita's head looks like it's in frame on the bottom left when the door opens, and are both to far forward to be the POV character. Which leaves Michonne and Glenn.

The show tends to really do well with details, otherwise it wouldn't matter.

near

Gold Member
I would have fully agreed with you, and I was feeling the same exact way...up until the credits rolled and I realized they were gonna play a fucking game with us. Literally. "Who is it" fuck you, that's who

But does it really matter who is it exactly at this point? Shouldn't it just be upsetting enough that its one of those guys on there knees? I want to know who it is as much as the next guy but does this take anything significant away from the way the episode was executed? I don't think so. That individuals death was shown from a perspective that captures that the brutality of there own death while highlighting the ruthlessness of Negan. I thought that final scene captured the loss of a character and gain of another so well, which would've been overshadowed if we was given the identity of who died. Regardless of who it was there identity will be revealed with more of a tribute than a quick hammering.

Surfinn

But does it really matter who is it exactly at this point? Shouldn't it just be upsetting enough that its one of those guys on there knees? I want to know who it is as much as the next guy but does this take anything significant away from the way the episode was executed? I don't think so. That individuals death was shown from a perspective that captures that the brutality of there own death while highlighting the ruthlessness of Negan. I thought that final scene captured the loss of a character and gain of another so well, which would've been overshadowed if we was given the identity of who died. Regardless of who it was there identity will be revealed with more of a tribute than a quick hammering.

Absolutely
it matters. It's gotta be a S1/2 character because otherwise it doesn't have the same impact on the audience. For example, if Negan brought out Tobin from Alexandria somehow and bashed his skull in, do you think his actions would carry the same weight if it were, say, Daryl or Glenn instead?

No one would give a shit if Negan essentially took someone they don't care that much about and said "ok, now back to normal, hope you learned your lesson" by killing someone no one gives a damn about after Rick/co. murdered scores of Negan's army.

It would destroy the impact/implications of that scene completely.

Kickz

If we're basing our guesses on anything logical (Which is pretty unreasonable for this show), Abraham is basically the only one that had the frame to take a hit like that and stay upright. He's got a huge body and a large head. Daryl was barely able to stay upright under his own power.

Please no, I need Eugene and Abe to continue to be the bros on the show.

Take Daryl, he has outlived his usefulness and hasn't done a damn thing in seasons.

Solo

But does it really matter who is it exactly at this point? Shouldn't it just be upsetting enough that its one of those guys on there knees? I want to know who it is as much as the next guy but does this take anything significant away from the way the episode was executed? I don't think so.

Instead of using an absolutely awfully ill-advised cliffhanger to try to hook viewers (hey AMC, you have 20 million viewers who I guarantee would still come back if you'd concluded the season as you should have) and having fans stew on "who got killed?" for the summer, it would have been MUCH more impactful and harrowing to show one of the beloved characters die brutally before cutting to black. "Oh my god, Negan killed Daryl......where the hell do we go from there and how does the group come back from that?" is a much more interesting and meaningful question to ponder until October than "#WhoIsIt?" is.

Xiraiya

While I agree some episodes this season, or I guess 1 episode of everyone saying "don't leave home" and everyone walking off into different fields, felt pretty pointless. I don't really know why people have such a problem with the finale.

Not a lot happened but I thought it was adequate display of his group's capabilities being able to just trap them at every turn, if you're up against an unknown quantity, you're going to want to hold off on making any rash moves and try to take your time, but they should have expected every road to be blocked.

About the very end, I guess really the speech could have been cut short and saved for the opening of next season instead and he could have just lead straight into choosing his victim.
I thought the first person perspective was pretty messed up and that whole moment of being hit like that resonated with me a little more strongly than I expected it to, so it was a pretty good moment.

Negan seems to prefer to make use of people and not waste them, but he also didn't say he intended to kill anyone, he's just going to beat the shit out of them.
But I guess with that weapon they may as well be dead, I sort of figure he'll either go after the weakest male or the one most likely to recover from a beating like that. Daryl was looking pretty rough and I know Norman Reedus seems to have more and more stuff going on as his career takes off, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the one, but I think Abraham is a pretty solid bet too, the female screams could have implied it was Glenn however if it was specifically Maggie yelling.

As someone who binged all of TWD before Season 6 started, I thought the Cliffhanger was fine, that stuff could always be better but I don't really take issue with them making us wait.

near

Gold Member

Absolutely
it matters. It's gotta be a S1/2 character because otherwise it doesn't have the same impact on the audience. For example, if Negan brought out Tobin from Alexandria somehow and bashed his skull in, do you think his actions would carry the same weight if it were, say, Daryl or Glenn instead?

No one would give a shit if Negan essentially took someone they don't care that much about and said "ok, now back to normal, hope you learned your lesson" by killing someone no one gives a damn about after Rick/co. murdered scores of Negan's army.

I understand that moving forward the character that's killed will need to be impactful, but in terms of how it could've changed the dynamic of this particular episode doesn't really matter other than the crave for shock and awe.

That dislike bar at the youtube TWD videos

white-kid-dancing.gif

Audiences nowadays cannot handle real cliffhangers. Offing off a beloved character in the same ep would have caused suicides. This show is maintaining my interest which I cannot say for the vast majority of TV shows. Interesting some of the dialog of Negan challenging Rick's leadership is the type of stuff a lot of folks have been thinking and saying since the show/comic started. They picked a good actor for Negan, he was good in Extant.

I would add is that they did a good job of not telegraphing who they killed. I will look at the who could've been in pov earlier. Except Rick and Carl who were excluded by dialog anybody could get it.

I understand that moving forward the character that's killed will need to be impactful, but in terms of how it could've changed the dynamic of this particular episode doesn't really matter other than the crave for shock and awe.
Well it matters greatly. Alexandrian guy or mullet man getting rocked wouldn't have much impact for one. Seeing their reactions after being so tense that entire episode would have raised the bar even higher, which will be gone once s7 is out half a year later. Seeing their reaction to the event after having that sick feeling would have made it more impactful. The point is that the show had incredible build up until the end and took the climax right under our feet while handing out the middle finger. There was no pay off for me, since the payoff and the climax was a "wait until season 7 to find out"

Some scenes and moments will lose impact when you remove the climax of it. This was one of those scenes. S3 of BB which also remains a mystery for example worked exceptionally well in that case instead, since making it a mystery made the finale better rather than worse.

Kickz

Yes, considering Aaron is one of the guys kneeling down, and he is insignificant

Nafai1123

Banned

I disagree 100%. Leaving the scene unfinished deflates all of the build up in the episode and turns an otherwise powerful scene into cheap cliffhanger bullshit. There are just SO many ways they could have done it better, and it pisses me off that they chose such a cheap trick on a viewership that's already been there and will continue to be there next season. It's just completely unnecessary.

Edit: Just to add, the scene is powerful BECAUSE of the shock that the viewer feels when they come to the realization that these characters are NOT safe. In order for it to be impactful, we need to know who that is.

justjim89

They said on Talking Dead they intentionally used cuts so no one could try and "Zapruder" the footage to see who it landed on.. so no...

Well sure, but in the actual shot where he swings the bat, I'm fairly certain you don't see the RV in the shot behind him. So that dictates his position at least a bit.

What about the pov shots from earlier? I don't see why else they included that other than as a small tip to the identity. They also said on Talking Dead they left some hints to the identity (of which to Gimple and Kirkman definitely knew, even if the cast didn't), and those are the only shots that so far qualify to me.

Of which it leaves Daryl, Glenn, Michonne, and Rosita as the narrowed down candidates.

Daryl's or Rosita's head looks like it's in frame on the bottom left when the door opens, and are both to far forward to be the POV character. Which leaves Michonne and Glenn.

The show tends to really do well with details, otherwise it wouldn't matter.
The only real hints I saw is that it's *not* Rick or Carl. Other than that I'm not sure.

Angry Fork

I hope fans talk enough shit that it forces the showrunners to say something in response.

Quoting this again because it's 100% truth.

rofl, impatient?

They literally ruined one of the most memorable moments of the series because they wanted to create a hashtag so that people get roped into the next season opener to find out #WhoIsIt

You are being played, when a show starts making concessions in it's writing and story because they want to rope people in for the NEXT season, it's time to admit that whoever is in charge doesn't actually care about the quality of the show.

Think about it, they don't actually trust their own writing or characters to simply carry the fan base to the next season. Instead of us knowing #WhoIsIt and then thinking about all the consequences of that death that will drive the next season forward as well as ENDING THE FUCKING SCENE, they chose that the story isn't strong enough to carry people over to the next season and thus literally cut in half the final scene into two seasons.

Cliffhangers usually have some form of conclusion with the cliffhanger leading into the next arc due to whatever just happened at the end of the episode/season. Good cliffhangers are S4a, S4b. Prison arc is done, everyone is scattered and we get a conclusion to the Governor character. S4b starts with everyone scattered and heading to Terminus and ends with the majority of the group united and stuck in Terminus. Clear defined story arcs that have an end goal and reach them while putting the characters in a situation to launch them on their next season arc.

A good cliffhanger doesn't literally cut a scene in two for the sake of "WHO DONE IT!?". You're not completing an arc, you're not giving characters motivation for what comes next, you're just ending a scene before it actually ends.

It's embarrassing when people can't take criticism of their favorite shows, when I like something I can admit parts are shit, but when so much of a show is shit people need to convince themselves that what their watching isn't bad at all.

Good shows take risks and let the writing speak for itself. I don't understand why AMC would think people wouldn't come back if they showed who was killed. The show keeps increasing its viewership and everyone would want to see how Rick responds in the next season, why not just show what happens? It doesn't make any sense. The level of paranoid short sighted CEO bullshit with whoever is running this show is insane.

Let's try another example that is just as infamous for being a copout.

Dynasty. The Moldavian Massacre. The entire main cast (minus one or two people) and a ton of supporting characters are together in a church when a group attacks and presumably knocks out or kills the entire congregation. The audience was left to stew over the summer, and spent months speculating who lived and who died. The following season premiere was a huge ratings winner, but then...

...it's revealed that the only people who died were a couple of extras who barely had any lines. The entire main cast is fine. That was the beginning of the end for the series, which started to drop in the ratings once people realized the showrunners were full of shit.

Anything less than a S1/S2 regular is going to be met with the same reception.

Angry Fork

Instead of using an absolutely awfully ill-advised cliffhanger to try to hook viewers (hey AMC, you have 20 million viewers who I guarantee would still come back if you'd concluded the season as you should have) and having fans stew on "who got killed?" for the summer, it would have been MUCH more impactful and harrowing to show one of the beloved characters die brutally before cutting to black. "Oh my god, Negan killed Daryl......where the hell do we go from there and how does the group come back from that?" is a much more interesting and meaningful question to ponder until October than "#WhoIsIt?" is.

Exactly. That's why I feel like this must've been a decision by the suits. Despite the amount of dumb shit on this show I refuse to believe the writers are THAT shallow and cynical towards its fans.

What if they re-air the season finale with an extended cut revealing who got lucilled this sunday?

Not a spoiler -
canceling fear the walking dead and giving us 2 wins at once.

Well sure, but in the actual shot where he swings the bat, I'm fairly certain you don't see the RV in the shot behind him. So that dictates his position at least a bit.

Not really. The shot was from the perspective of someone looking up at Negan: there is no perspective from that angle that would have had the RV in the background. There was a moment when the perspective snapped down just after impact that had nothing but woods in it which means they really didn't expect it to be analyzed that much.

But does it really matter who is it exactly at this point?
Yes man, yes. It absolutely matters who gets killed. Some characters are vital than others, but WHOEVER gets killed in this scene, is vital, all things considered.
Shouldn't it just be upsetting enough that its one of those guys on there knees? I want to know who it is as much as the next guy but does this take anything significant away from the way the episode was executed? I don't think so.
Well, I do. And so does a whole bunch of other people. Like I said, the tension was working on me, and it totally was buzzkilled when the credits rolled. And it makes matters worse that they did this just to play a goddamn game.
That individuals death was shown from a perspective that captures that the brutality of there own death while highlighting the ruthlessness of Negan.
It's fine that they wanted to show it in their perspective, it just was not fine that they didn't reveal who it was.
I thought that final scene captured the loss of a character and gain of another so well, which would've been overshadowed if we was given the identity of who died. Regardless of who it was there identity will be revealed with more of a tribute than a quick hammering.
This is an adaptation of a comic book. I didn't read the comics but I can assume that the panels did not leave the answer of who got Lucille'd until the next issue arrived.

Betty

Banned
Instead of using an absolutely awfully ill-advised cliffhanger to try to hook viewers (hey AMC, you have 20 million viewers who I guarantee would still come back if you'd concluded the season as you should have)

Now you say this, and so do many others.

But what if Daryl is the one who get's bonked? Wouldn't showing that piss people off more and lose viewers.

At least this way they guarantee everyone tunes in for season 7, plus if it is a fan favourite who dies they can spend the episode softening the blow... so to speak.

I know folks have good reason for thinking it's Abraham but i'm not convinced.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Every actor in this episode acted the tits out of their respective characters.

Cinematography was also on point, and so was the tension. The way they built Negan and how slowly but relentlessly made the Saviors look like a HUGE army without resorting to a huge display of force was also incredibly effective and well handled.

I'm just angry that what could very well be the best episode since the pilot was utterly savaged by what amounts to the cheapest ending in years. This is well beyond the worst Sons of Anarchy ever did, and that's saying something. It's an irreparable mess in terms of tension and plot development. It doesn't even matter who finds themself at the end of that bat. The damage is done.

Somebody at AMC deserves to be flogged. There's no doubt in my mind that was not the ending envisioned by Nicotero.

Catdaddy

I will say that Kirkman and Nicotero looked uncomfortable on last nights Talking Dead - maybe it was the four men squished on the couch, but it looked like they were a bit off. Then they were asked about the cliffhanger and Kirkman gave the standard reply "I love cliffhangers, I do it in the comics all the time" and Nicotero mentioned Lost and the hatch.

Not sure how it works for the live audience there, but may have gotten some negative responses prior to going live. Also, I don't think they answered any audience questions like they usually do and the Skype connection was acting up so they went to pre-recorded questions. May have been afraid of some irate fan getting through.

Nafai1123

Banned

But what if Daryl is the one who get's bonked? Wouldn't showing that piss people off more and lose viewers.

At least this way they guarantee everyone tunes in for season 7, plus if it is a fan favourite who dies they can spend the episode softening the blow... so to speak.

Retaining viewership should not be the primary concern of writers attempting to create a good story arc. I don't see Game of Thrones having any issues with viewership after killing off main characters.

border

Is there even a remote chance that the identity of Neegan's victim won't be revealed through casting announcements, on-set reports and photography?

What burns me is that they probably won't even be able to keep the identity a secret until the Season Premiere, so all this #WhoIsIt bullshit seems pointless.

Wait, what? Of course it matters.

Are you saying there is no difference in impact between, say, Aaron on the one hand, and Daryl on the other?

Betty

Banned
Retaining viewership should not be the primary concern of writers attempting to create a good story arc. I don't see Game of Thrones having any issues with viewership after killing off main characters.

Well yeah but the writers/suits on Walking Dead would totally go this route to keep viewers.

Then again if they have the cajones to wipe out Daryl I'd be amazed.

Solo

Is there even a remote chance that the identity of Neegan's victim won't be revealed through casting announcements, on-set reports and photography?

It will be confirmed probably with a month or two, whenever they start filming. The internet will know it is ____ a solid 4 months before it airs.

Surfinn

This. Who really wouldn't come back? Are you telling me that if your show is well written and of high quality people simply wouldn't return because their favorite character died? Bullshit.

This show is being written like the writers are backed into a corner and losing hundreds of thousands of viewers with each episode. Pathetic.

Huh? You're contradicting yourself. The impact is the dynamic of this particular episode. It's everything.

The ENTIRE POINT of this in the comic was to use an incredibly heart wrenching death of a main character to drive the point home: you've got something to fear.

Catdaddy

It will be confirmed probably with a month or two, whenever they start filming. The internet will know it is ____ a solid 4 months before it airs.

The crew is so large not to mention the extras and you know whoever it is (Glenn) probably already knows, since odds are they won’t be needed in Georgia when filming starts in the summer. So if someone (Glenn) is chilling by his pool all summer while the rest of the gang is filming…someone will figure that out.

Nafai1123

Banned
Well yeah but the writers/suits on Walking Dead would totally go this route to keep viewers.

Then again if they have the cajones to wipe out Daryl I'd be amazed.

The writers/suits DID go that route to keep viewers, despite the fact that they have one of the most watched shows on TV. That's why people are so upset about it. They're cheapening the show due to "concerns" which have no weight.

The ENTIRE POINT of this scene is to give the viewer a wake up call. Anyone in this universe can die at any time. That's the entire point of the scene in the comics at least.

Instead, viewers of the show are left with..."well....maybe the main characters can die.....after a full season of build up.....and only maybe..... meh I guess we'll find out next season."

They straight up butchered the scene by leaving it unfinished. It gives me very little hope they even care about what they're doing with these characters.

kingkitty

-The Carol/Morgan stuff was bad.

-Negan guy was cool.

-I liked the driving bits.

-Eugene is my hero.

-The ending was absolute cheap bullshit. You had 90 mins you motherfuckers. Thanks for nothing. This + Glenn fakeout. This season brewed some pure bull.

Have to admit, these reactions are helping to make up for the blue balls cliffhanger. As much as I enjoy it the show has way more viewers than it deserves considering the bullshit it regularly pulls.

border

I thought maybe they could get around it by giving out fake casting announcements for all the actors involved, and maybe only doing shoots on soundstages (or just a limited number of outdoor shoots).

I don't follow the Walking Dead Leaks/Spoilers thread, so I'm not sure how often it is that any character death ends up being a surprise.

Solo

It's just ridiculous that they've monetized the show so much that we now have cliffhangers like this and characters who have impenetrable plot armor because they are fan favorites.

I understand obviously that films and TV are commercial ventures and need to get good ratings/viewership to survive, and that most shows do this to some degree, but TWD is just on another level of insanity with it. If the show were a videogame, the answer to #WhoIsIt?" would be revealed in $60 DLC.

It's crazy that AMC aired Breaking Bad and Mad Men, 2 shows where storytelling was paramount, and.....this. Granted, they pulled this shit with separating BB & MM final seasons into 2 seasons too, so.....fuck AMC.

I don't understand this logic. If it is Daryl, why are people going to stay after episode 1 that would have left in the season finale?

It matters in a huge way, this is supposed to be a moment the audience and the group loses someone major. It's supposed to be painful, it's supposed to be shocking, it's supposed to make you feel disgust. Instead you feel nothing and it's probably going to be Aaron or some crap and mean very little.

Surfinn

The writers/suits DID go that route to keep viewers, despite the fact that they have one of the most watched shows on TV. That's why people are so upset about it. They're cheapening the show due to "concerns" which have no weight.

The ENTIRE POINT of this scene is to give the viewer a wake up call. Anyone in this universe can die at any time. That's the entire point of the scene in the comics at least.

Instead, viewers of the show are left with..."well....maybe the main characters can die.....after a full season of build up.....and only maybe..... meh I guess we'll find out next season."

They straight up butchered the scene by leaving it unfinished. It gives me very little hope they even care about what they're doing with these characters.

Also considering the "goodbye" scene Abraham had with Eugene, that's gotta bring your percentage up higher. When that happened, I immediately thought "wow, one of them is dying for sure".

LowParry

Ya know, if they go about starting Season 7 with Negan and how he finds out about his first group getting killed and so forth, to the point where we get to see who gets obliterated by Lucille, I'd be okay with that. But...it probably won't start that way. In fact we'll probably have 2 - 3 episodes between Morgan and Carol and Alexandria. I mean we just gotta know if Judith is A-OK first right? I couldn't watch the show if I didn't know that.

near

Gold Member
Okay so its inarguable that the cliffhanger was intended and that as a result this ending could've evoked an entirely different outlook had said individual been revealed. But how this can diminish a meaningful finale which was catered to the introduction of Negan is still baffling. This episode was about Negan, that's all we've been hearing about for god knows how long, and all I can do is tip my hat to an overwhelming introduction of he's character, like I said earlier if we knew who died, it would've overshadowed Negan who was the premise of this episode.

We've been building up to this introduction pretty much all season, we've not been completely invested in who will die next, since they've all been at risk. All characters carry the same equivalence when it comes to surviving a death. Rick and crew on there knees surrounded with Negan and Lucille waving around is intense, I just cant differentiate between why the identity is more important that the situation there in. I think that there is so much promise for the story now, and the cliffhanger does not detract how well executed the episode was.

Wait, what? Of course it matters.

Are you saying there is no difference in impact between, say, Aaron on the one hand, and Daryl on the other?

Not at all. Aaron dying would be almost meaningless compared to Daryl. But in terms of this episode someone is dead by the hands of Negan, and I think that's the point. Not that the individual who is dead shouldn't matter, but the fact that they're all facing the same vulnerability at this stage is more interesting.

Huh? You're contradicting yourself. The impact is the dynamic of this particular episode. It's everything.

The ENTIRE POINT of this in the comic was to use an incredibly heart wrenching death of a main character to drive the point home: you've got something to fear.

There is no contradiction.

Rewatched again there is no rv behind him so since it showed one when he was in front of Abe Rick Sasha Maggie Daryl safe to say it's someone outside the middle Aaron Eugene Glenn but who knows

Xiraiya

Have to admit, these reactions are helping to make up for the blue balls cliffhanger. As much as I enjoy it the show has way more viewers than it deserves considering the bullshit it regularly pulls.

I mean it's not perfect but it was still perfectly serviceable for a finale I thought, people are just being melodramatic.

It's embarrassing as someone who likes the series overall.

I mean it's not perfect but it was still perfectly serviceable for a finale I thought, people are just being melodramatic.

It's not a good look.

It was a good episode which makes it even more frustrating. There was just no need for that cliffhanger. The cliffhanger of waiting to see how the group would deal with the aftermath would have been sufficient. No ones going to care who died in a few months time. A whole season of buildup thrown in the bin for nothing. Maybe people are being melodramatic but I prefer it to the usual bending over backwards to forgive all it's flaws.

It better be one of the main cast too when it returns. Glenn, Daryl, Michonne or Maggie. Those characters have had plot armor for far too long. It'll probably be fucking Abraham or Eugene though.
I agree with this 100%.

It's not Rick or Carl. That leaves those four (Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Michonne) as being deaths that I would consider significant enough for that moment. I'll never be satisfied by how this episode ended, or by how they didn't make good on a lot of the cheap stunts they've pulled all season. If it's not one of those four characters, though, there's really nothing they can do to win me back. I'm already tempted to not stick around for Season 7 after the BS they've pulled in Season 6, but if it's a less-important character that got Lucille'd, that'll seal it for me.

But I think you're right, I'm also leaning towards it being Abraham or Eugene. With the amount of screen time they've both gotten lately, I'm willing to bet the show's staff considers them major players, and that they think the show's audience will buy that and be satisfied at that being the "price that was paid".

Every actor in this episode acted the tits out of their respective characters.

Cinematography was also on point, and so was the tension. The way they built Negan and how slowly but relentlessly made the Saviors look like a HUGE army without resorting to a huge display of force was also incredibly effective and well handled.

I'm just angry that what could very well be the best episode since the pilot was utterly savaged by what amounts to the cheapest ending in years. This is well beyond the worst Sons of Anarchy ever did, and that's saying something. It's an irreparable mess in terms of tension and plot development. It doesn't even matter who finds themself at the end of that bat. The damage is done.

Somebody at AMC deserves to be flogged. There's no doubt in my mind that was not the ending envisioned by Nicotero.
Yep, the bolded is what makes this so disappointing. It was shaping up to be one of the best episodes in the show's run, with a tremendous build-up to the conclusion. My heart was nearly beating out of my chest. And then...that. I'm still having a tough time understanding how they could screw up Negan's debut and everything else they built up, all for a cheap stunt at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom