• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH, Morgan's "no killing" rule is pure lunacy in a world of Governors, Wolves and Saviours.

Still, remember when everybody was pointing guns at each other every few minutes? For all the bad writing in this show, S1 had the worst of it.
The no killing rule is for their (mental and emotional) benefit, and isn't meant as the best route for survival. So in that way Morgan could be seen as being interested in preserving their humanity.

Rick on the other hand is interested in survival at any cost, and would turn into an absolute dictator if left unchecked.

I think Negan will be what Rick could be in the worst possible circumstances. Encountering him and maybe Morgan's influence might steer him onto a more moderate path.

embalm

And when early negotiations failed, Rick -unabashedly- said something like "we came for supplies. And we will get them (one way or another)". Jesus then had to intervene.

Another point that sometimes is forgotten, is that Negan base(s) are not that close to Alexandria. I mean, Hilltop is like a day away already. So, even if they were a threat, it was not an immediate one. In the past, Rick has had to kill humans mostly in self defense, on the spur of the moment.

But here, is a deliberate plan to preemptively kill people, that apparently don't even know about their existence. Quite a difference, I think.
He is leading a community that is running out of food supplies, it's pretty important to make sure they know how desperate you are to trade. If he would have taken action against them, after all talks ended with nothing, who would have blamed him. It didn't come to that though. Instead Rick is risking his life and the lives of his family to live up to these trade agreements.

Negan isn't that far away. Daryl, Abe, and Sasha ran into his group while returning home from leading the walkers away. It's also obvious that the Saviors roam looking for new settlements, and if Alexandria are going to be opening a trade route with another town, this is going to increase their visibility 10 fold.
Not to mention that Negan would find out about them immediately from the people at Hilltop. There is no escape from Negan at this point.

Acting only in self defense has lost Rick a lot of things. He has grown to understand that at times you need to be ruthless and proactive. In their terrible world it's the only to protect the things you love.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The no killing rule is for their (mental and emotional) benefit, and isn't meant as the best route for survival. So in that way Morgan could be seen as being interested in preserving their humanity.

Rick on the other hand is interested in survival at any cost, and would turn into an absolute dictator if left unchecked.

I think Negan will be what Rick could be in the worst possible circumstances. Encountering him and maybe Morgan's influence might steer him onto a more moderate path.

It may make sense for Morgan, but not for the rest of the gang. His pacifism has resulted in the death of dozens of people and strained their resources.

Shit is going to get ROUGH if Negan finds about Alexandria, which at this point is barely defended. Rick put all his eggs in the same basket.

Sendero

He is leading a community that is running out of food supplies, it's pretty important to make sure they know how desperate you are to trade.
Again, not that I do not agree on the macro level, knowing what we know.

But.
a) Rick's team assumed that they were facing a relatively small group (otherwise, they wouldn't have gone, at least not like that). Which means that there was no reason to consider them THAT big of a threat to Alexandria. Which again, might be 1.5 to 2 days of distance. And they are well armed/experienced, contrary to Hilltop.
b) None of them even entertained other plans or possibilities. What if Hilltop are the bad guys? What if Hilltop decided to feed us to Negan for their own gains, and are leading us into a trap? What if their camp is full choke of non violent people, with kids and all?

And thanks for bringing the whole running out of food thing. Did they had already scavenged their whole area and could not find anything? Was the Sorgum place, gas station and the farm a very lucky occurrence? What about the truck in the lake? I mean, if Hilltop was a day away via car, does that mean they hadn't found anything else in all directions and had a 100% need to do the deal no matter what?

The closest I got, was that "today is gonna be a good day" bit (implying that they hadn't had that much luck before). But nothing else. It felt to me that they still had a lot to cover, and thus, alternatives. But the show is not about that, of course.

Acting only in self defense has lost Rick a lot of things. He has grown to understand that at times you need to be ruthless and proactive. In their terrible world it's the only to protect the things you love.
There is always someone worse.

Rick's overconfidence will cost him. In fact the "we've never had much of a problem with confrontation" was the biggest WTF moment from episode 11. Especially so after the governor ran rampant over them and destroyed their home.

Amikami

Banned
There is always someone worse.

Rick's overconfidence will cost him. In fact the "we've never had much of a problem with confrontation" was the biggest WTF moment from episode 11. Especially so after the governor ran rampant over them and destroyed their home.

I took that as "we never had a problem initiating conflict or going through with it when the time called for it." Which is also somewhat a false statement but they've been pretty okay with confrontation since the governor (terminites, alexandrians to an extent, wolves, huge horde). Even if they have had some casualties along the way, they have been proactive for awhile.

Whereas Hilltop are being completely decimated due to their inaction or fear of conflict. Understandably since as Jesus said, they have no real fighters. Alexandrians are trained killers at this point.

I took that as "we never had a problem initiating conflict or going through with it when the time called for it." Which is also somewhat a false statement but they've been pretty okay with confrontation since the governor (terminites, alexandrians to an extent, wolves, huge horde). Even if they have had some casualties along the way, they have been proactive for awhile.

Whereas Hilltop are being completely decimated due to their inaction or fear of conflict. Understandably since as Jesus said, they have no real fighters. Alexandrians are trained killers at this point.
Perhaps their actual fighters were all killed.

I also never bought into the idea that the Alexandrians (who I do not remotely consider trained killers) and Hilltop people are that weak. I mean they both spent a long time building up walls, so they're bound to have come across a large amount of zombies before they were up (the Hilltop group certainly did not benefit from a convenient quarry / zombie funnel). Painting them as naive and as ineffectual as infants when it comes to survival always seemed incredibly odd to me.

embalm

Perhaps their actual fighters were all killed.

I also never bought into the idea that the Alexandrians (who I do not remotely consider trained killers) and Hilltop people are that weak. I mean they both spent a long time building up walls, so they're bound to have come across a large amount of zombies before they were up (the Hilltop group certainly did not benefit from a convenient quarry / zombie funnel). Painting them as naive and as ineffectual as infants when it comes to survival always seemed incredibly odd to me.

This is not talked about anywhere, but I have wondered if zombies would flow in the path of least resistance when not influenced by outside factors. Something like a river more or less. I don't think a walker would purposefully walk up a steep hill unless it was attracted by noise or lights. Even if it was going that direction I would think it would naturally turn to a direction that is not directly up, so they never get tot he top of the hill.

So just by being at the top of a large hill is it possible that they are living mostly walker free?

I'm not sure how much research has been done on zombie migration patterns, but I'm sure that I'm not the first person to think of this.

Wasn't Negan's guy going to kill Sasha and Abraham just for asking who Negan is when he said no more talking? True that he might be a Merle to a potentially solid leader, but that's a terrible first impression. The next impression is that A hilltop guy comes back to kill his own people because they took his brother and forced him to do it.

Hearing the story of beating the 16 year old to death might be bs true, but those two points give a clear picture. Rick and Darryl had their truck with supplies stolen by Jesus and they let him live, in contrast to Darryl's & Co. interaction with Negan's men. I do think they should have taken 1-2 days extra to scout them, possibly before they decided to kill and maybe see them perform some atrocities before going in like Rambo.

It depends, and that's the interesting part.

If you are by yourself(or have a son), and not Jesus? Sure. Just keep your head low, and contribute in what you can to improve the situation. If you are the leader of a sizable group and are responsible for their well being? No chance. I would avoid it as much as possible. Everyone is forgetting what happened when Woodbury and Prison tried to make peace. There can be only 1 sheriff in town.

If you have a wife or a daughter that happens to be pretty? Well, ask Pete what he thinks.And when early negotiations failed, Rick -unabashedly- said something like "we came for supplies. And we will get them (one way or another)". Jesus then had to intervene.

Another point that sometimes is forgotten, is that Negan base(s) are not that close to Alexandria. I mean, Hilltop is like a day away already. So, even if they were a threat, it was not an immediate one. In the past, Rick has had to kill humans mostly in self defense, on the spur of the moment.

But here, is a deliberate plan to preemptively kill people, that apparently don't even know about their existence. Quite a difference, I think.
That doesn't mean Rick would have killed them though. He would likely give them a choice again and if they attacked, the ones attacking would get killed.

The Saviours are the only group that he actively went to kill based on two horrible experiences with them and one story about how bad they are.

It may make sense for Morgan, but not for the rest of the gang. His pacifism has resulted in the death of dozens of people and strained their resources.

Shit is going to get ROUGH if Negan finds about Alexandria, which at this point is barely defended. Rick put all his eggs in the same basket.

Wait who died because of Morgan's pacifism? The Wolves would have found Alexandria even if Morgan killed the first two he came across because of Aaron's dropped bag in the Wolf trap.

And even if the two Wolves Morgan let live were directly responsible for the Alexandria attack with no other way the attack happens, there's an argument that looking at the information Morgan had at the time he made a reasonable decision to let the two Wolves live.

At the time Morgan didn't know of the existence of Alexandria, didn't know that the two unarmed Wolves were part of a much larger group, and couldn't know that letting two Wolves live would lead to the attack on Alexandria (if that even was a factual cause of the attack). They were only a direct threat to himself, and that threat was minimal because of Morgan's skills.

Is there something I'm missing?

Sendero

This is not talked about anywhere, but I have wondered if zombies would flow in the path of least resistance when not influenced by outside factors....So just by being at the top of a large hill is it possible that they are living mostly walker free?
That's a good point. I still think their community is hiding something. Every one Rick has visited, has had some sort of twisted secret, with the exception of Alexandria (and the Vatos fellas, I guess).
That doesn't mean Rick would have killed them though. He would likely give them a choice again and if they attacked, the ones attacking would get killed.
Which is a kind way to say that he would have ransacked, if not straight up murdered them (in self defense, of course) if the occasion raised.
Now imagine if he was truly desperate (like to get medicine for Coral). Poor Shane; wrong time to live.

Surfinn

Yup, which is why his character has totally gone to shit. Who can even relate to the path he's chosen? His decisions continue to plague the group, and in reality, he'd never have made it this far with such a blatantly obtuse perspective.

Morgan was literally SAVED because someone gave him the courtesy he wants to extend to others. I'm not saying he is right. He isn't. But I understand why he acts the way he does and I don't hate him for it. He was a batshit psychopath killer in his clearing days. A guy any normal person would off in a split second. He was saved by someone who treated him like he now wants to treat others. He'd be dead if it weren't for SOMEONE having that attitude.

It's really not that stupid that he is the way he is. With that said, of course he's wrong. It isn't worth the risk and Morgan is probably a better man than the wolf or negan or anyone else they ran into or will run into. But that's impossible to know and that's a risk he thinks is worthwhile because again, he'd be dead if someone didn't take that risk with him.

Kinyou

Morgan was literally SAVED because someone gave him the courtesy he wants to extend to others. I'm not saying he is right. He isn't. But I understand why he acts the way he does and I don't hate him for it. He was a batshit psychopath killer in his clearing days. A guy any normal person would off in a split second. He was saved by someone who treated him like he now wants to treat others. He'd be dead if it weren't for SOMEONE having that attitude.
Not to forget that his mentor guy sacrificed himself for Morgan. Morgan would probably feel like he'd betray him if he strays from the pacifism path.

dyergram

The thing I want most from the comics is
them to build the slopes behind the walls of alexandrea
for some reason...

Amikami

Banned
Yeah. Like people are saying, I think Morgan's path makes sense for him but him only. He can't expect others to follow and I don't think he does. Rick is being surprisingly democratic by giving a vote to the community and it seems to me that Rick can tolerate his viewpoint. At the same time, Morgan didn't give a fight after the majority ruled for Rick's plan. They're in pretty good standing considering how different they've become. As long as he contributes to the community in some way he's fine but there's a serious issue when he's hiding and nurturing enemies in the basement. I'm not sure why that hasn't come to light. Why are they keeping that a secret again?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

It's really not that stupid that he is the way he is. With that said, of course he's wrong. It isn't worth the risk and Morgan is probably a better man than the wolf or negan or anyone else they ran into or will run into. But that's impossible to know and that's a risk he thinks is worthwhile because again, he'd be dead if someone didn't take that risk with him.

Exactly how I feel about it. Morgan is trying to replicate his experience to save others. The issue is that sometimes that will put other people at risk.

dustyherb

Yep bingo he's literally the proof that his new philosophy can actually work. He was just as bad as those wolves killing anyone he saw and not to mention almost killing Rick in season 3. Maybe he isn't completely right but he's not completely wrong either. People can still be saved just not everyone.

He definitely needs to come to terms with the fact that sometimes you are going to have to kill people. I understand why he doesn't want to go back down that path tho since he almost lost everything he was. But I think that might happen overtime. I'm hoping his character is redeemed in some way cause right now I hate seeing everyone in Ricks group not like the guy.

Sendero

..there's a serious issue when he's hiding and nurturing enemies in the basement. I'm not sure why that hasn't come to light. Why are they keeping that a secret again?
I'm not clear on that either. Think because that would also implicate Denise, whom was aware about the Wolf, and willingly cured him.

Sort of a betrayal of confidence, but nothing too terrible (to me)

dustyherb

Seriously though has anyone's death been directly caused by Morgan's pacifism?
No not that I can think of. Closest thing would've been him letting the two head wolves go when he first met them. But like you said he had no idea of Alexandria or anything at that time. So can't really blame him in that instance.

Amikami

Banned
I'm not clear on that either. Think because that would also implicate Denise, whom was aware about the Wolf, and willingly cured him.

Sort of a betrayal of confidence, but nothing too terrible (to me)

Oh I see. Yeah, they kept bringing Denise up and I wasn't sure what that was about. It's obviously a excuse for Carol though. I'm guessing keeping Morgan a secret is her way of dealing with her guilt over the death of Sam, seeing as she played somewhat a part in his death. No one knows about the things she said to him. Think it's killing her on the inside.

LycanXIII

TBH, Morgan's "no killing" rule is pure lunacy in a world of Governors, Wolves and Saviours.

Still, remember when everybody was pointing guns at each other every few minutes? For all the bad writing in this show, S1 had the worst of it.

I wonder how he would have turned out if he had stayed with Rick from the beginning and experienced the Gov.

The five (I think?) Wolves who immediately tried to kill Rick died because Morgan let them go, technically.

Is that really it? I did forget about those Wolves, but obviously they don't count (we are looking for situations where if Morgan had killed it would have saved lives). Did Rick like get delayed coming back because of those five or something? Would he have maybe been in a position to save someone back at Alexandria if he got back sooner? That seems pretty tenuous. Like there were four or five people over the past couple pages that said Morgan's pacifism was responsible for dozens of deaths, where did that come from?

Is that really it? I did forget about those Wolves, but obviously they don't count (we are looking for situations where if Morgan had killed it would have saved lives). Did Rick like get delayed coming back because of those five or something? Would he have maybe been in a position to save someone back at Alexandria if he got back sooner? That seems pretty tenuous. Like there were four or five people over the past couple pages that said Morgan's pacifism was responsible for dozens of deaths, where did that come from?
The plan was to use the RV to draw the part of the horde that had been attracted by the horn away from Alexandria. So technically, because Morgan let those Wolves live, Nicholas, the Anderson family, Deanna, and other Alexandrians died

The plan was to use the RV to draw the part of the horde that had been attracted by the horn away from Alexandria. So technically, because Morgan let those Wolves live, Nicholas, the Anderson family, Deanna, and other Alexandrians died

Did the Wolves break the RV or something? I thought Rick just offed them pretty easily or offscreen but I'm not remembering that scene well.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nothing tenuous about what happened. Morgan letting those Wolves live critically delayed Rick, made him lose the RV and nearly pulled the plug on Alexandria.

It was as complete cock-up. People at this thread were rightfully seething.

Edit: Here's the RV being shot to shit.

3zNzVd4.gif

Nothing tenuous about what happened. Morgan letting those Wolves live critically delayed Rick, made him lose the RV and nearly pulled the plug on Alexandria.

It was as complete cock-up. People at this thread were rightfully seething.

Edit: Here's the RV being shot to shit.

3zNzVd4.gif

Then don't let Morgan make those kind of decisions then.

However turning on Morgan is ridiculous. The man was positively deranged in a way that makes Rick's psychotic breaks and the wolves look like nothing. So he walks the pacifism path for himself more than anything.

With that said what do people want him to do? Descend back into that madness?

Nameless

I've shat on Morgan plenty and will continue to do so until he snaps out of this BS, but if we're being fair, saving Father G looks like a great move.

And just to play Devil's Advocate for his plan to approach The Saviors...you know, as bad as Negan might be, or can be, he has a massive, organized, mixed gender force that spans multiple outposts. You don't build that by automatically murdering everything and being completely unreasonable. Maybe, just maybe, Negan would have wanted to avoid a war. Doesn't matter much now because that ship was stabbed in its sleep.

#bloodscomin

I've shat on Morgan plenty and will continue to do so until he snaps out of this BS, but if we're being fair, saving Father G looks like a great move.

And just to play Devil's Advocate for his plan to approach The Saviors...you know, as bad as Negan might be, or can be, he has a massive, organized, mixed gender force that spans multiple outposts. You don't build that by automatically murdering everything and being completely unreasonable. Maybe, just maybe, Negan would have wanted to avoid a war. Doesn't matter much now because that ship was stabbed in its sleep.

#bloodscomin
I mean, we don't really know how big his group is

#bloodscomin

I think once Rick and the others get a dose of reality then the kick some ass attitude that fans have may taper off quite a bit.

Personally I don't like Rick at all at this point. And I'm glad the show isn't being subtle about drawing similarities between his "kill 'em all" attitude and the governor. In addition the "I never want it to happen again" line of dialogue during the church scene reminds me a little of Terminus' "Never Forget. Never trust." mantra they had going.

Also, I think there is a middle ground between where Rick and Morgan are.

Amikami

Banned
Ah, OK. Got it!

Edit: wait wasn't the RV already broken? Rick was like stranded trying to get it to start

Naw. I'm pretty sure, if I remember correctly, Rick had retrieved the RV, which was being used to barricade and direct the walkers away from Alexandria. He then preceded to drive to a point destination he new the walkers would be intercepting. He had stopped there to wait. Then the wolves came in, shot everything to shit, and it would not start after that.

Nameless

I mean, we don't really know how big his group is

it's just an assumption based on

-The size of the Comcast base
-the Biker Brigade
-The big group of guys who Daryl and the couple who jacked him encountered in the woods.

I think once Rick and the others get a dose of reality then the kick some ass attitude that fans have may taper off quite a bit.

Personally I don't like Rick at all at this point. And I'm glad the show isn't being subtle about drawing similarities between his "kill 'em all" attitude and the governor. In addition the "I never want it to happen again" line of dialogue during the church scene reminds me a little of Terminus' "Never Forget. Never trust." mantra they had going.

Also, I think there is a middle ground between where Rick and Morgan are.

Yeah I definitely think a line was crossed with the group this episode. But I spent the multiple seasons not liking Rick and will never make that mistake again.

mujun

Debating over whether Morgan is legally at fault for anyone's death seems like a pointless argument to me.

Either way he is a liability as a pacifist and should either go and live on top of a mountain where there are no people or pull his weight as the member of a community that can't avoid situations where it is kill or be killed.

it's just an assumption based on

-The size of the Comcast base
-the Biker Brigade
-The big group of guys who Daryl and the couple who jacked him encountered in the woods.

Yeah I definitely think a line was crossed with the group this episode. But I spent the multiple seasons not liking Rick and will never make that mistake again.

Almost every encounter they've had with another community has screwed them over. Hard to be trusting.

How would they approach a group that kills one person from any other group they meet as a message as to how they aren't to be fucked with.

I think the only two viable options for the Alexandrians were running or preemptively attacking.

Exactly how I feel about it. Morgan is trying to replicate his experience to save others. The issue is that sometimes that will put other people at risk.

'Swhat I was saying earlier too! It may not be right but there's damned good reason for Morgan to be this way. I hope he and Rick can find middle ground.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Then don't let Morgan make those kind of decisions then.

However turning on Morgan is ridiculous. The man was positively deranged in a way that makes Rick's psychotic breaks and the wolves look like nothing. So he walks the pacifism path for himself more than anything.

With that said what do people want him to do? Descend back into that madness?

It's cool and everything that Morgan has found peace, but his new way of life is literally ending others. I mean, I couldn't really hate on Morgan IRL, but as a show character, he's fudging things up real good.

It's cool and everything that Morgan has found peace, but his new way of life is literally ending others. I mean, I couldn't really hate on Morgan IRL, but as a show character, he's fudging things up real good.

As opposed to Rick who is preserving life? The man has quite literally started a war.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
As opposed to Rick who is preserving life? The man has quite literally started a war.

Hey now, I've been saying Rick is a murderous beast for quite a while ;) As for starting a war, I see both camps as competing species, with Rick being the lesser evil. Rick knew that the Saviours would come to mess with them soon enough, so they took the initiative. Rick has made a ton of bad choices that costed a lot of lives, but taking on the Saviours was not one of them. Going in blind definitely was.

Whatever happens, Rick and Co just captured a shit ton of weapons and ammo if they can make a run with it.

Maggie and Carol are getting capped if Rick's gang do as much as to move an inch, so I don't quite see that.

They brought the war to us. If there's even a 1% chance that he is our enemy, we have to take it as an absolute certainty.

Holy shit, Rick is Batman!

You know what the big difference between those two is? Batman knows what he's getting into. Rick knows nothing but arrogantly proclaims they can handle it anyway.

He'll get people killed because of it.

It would certainly be interesting to see how far Rick could go before fans started moving away from him.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
You know what the big difference between those two is? Batman knows what he's getting into. Rick knows nothing but arrogantly proclaims they can handle it anyway.

He'll get people killed because of it.

That and Batman has millions of dollars worth in gadgets and resources, Rick is getting by with scraps.

On the other hand, Rick is prepared to kill. Something Batman has a thing against, which has gotten thousands of people killed over the years due to continuesly escaping Arkham-convicts....

That and Batman has millions of dollars worth in gadgets and resources, Rick is getting by with scraps.

On the other hand, Rick is prepared to kill. Something Batman has a thing against, which has gotten thousands of people killed over the years due to continuesly escaping Arkham-convicts....

I'll be honest. I don't like Rick. I think his arrogance is the arrogance of a big fish in a small pond, but now his pond has gotten bigger he's going to find out there are far bigger and scarier fish swimming nearby.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'll be honest. I don't like Rick. I think his arrogance is the arrogance of a big fish in a small pond, but now his pond has gotten bigger he's going to find out there are far bigger and scarier fish swimming nearby.

I don't like him either. He did what he had to survive and I respected that, but now, it seems like he can't go back to what he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom