• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

007: Senior Hamas official killed by professional Hitmen in Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

goomba said:
IF this was an Israeli or American official, there would be outrage....

You are bemoaning a lack of outrage over the killing of a Hamas official ?

Or you are just prodding GAF and seeing what kind of argument you can stir up.

The first is absurd, the second juvenile. In neither case are you on good form.

slider

woodchuck said:
no security team + the hitmen were waiting for him at the terminal? i bet Hamas set him up.

More likely the team had a source close to the target. If Hamas wanted rid of him they'd do it back home. Easier no?

EDIT: Actually all they seem to have had was his flight details. Flight manifests aren't difficult for an intelligence service.

What was this buy's background? I see that Hamas had admitted he was involved in the killing of two Israeli soldiers. In the grand scheme of things that's not the worst shit coming out of that region (Hamas would of course argue military = legit target).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sounds like something out of Mission Impossible.

Clearly co-ordinated by some agency/government...

Some of those passport photos ought to have been dead giveaways. The first two irish ones, in particular, look very fake. The woman looks very 'made up' and like she's in a disguise. I believe passport photo guidelines also forbid strong expressions - her smile would have invalidated her application if it were a real passport.

edit - same with one of the british ones - big smile, squinted eyes. eyes are meant to be clearly visible. One of the french ones looks very photoshopped too.

I guess passport control really don't pay much attention...

xbhaskarx

Awesome, I love this Raid on Entebbe type shit, can't wait for the movie.

goomba said:

Right, and if the US military was using Predator drones to kill Japanese or Canadian officials instead of Al Qaeda members, there would also be outrage... what's your point?

Are you not familiar with Hamas?

The governments of Canada,[5] the European Union,[6][7][8] Israel,[9] Japan,[10] and the United States[11] classify Hamas as a terrorist organization. The United Kingdom[12] and Australia,[13] classify only Hamas' independant military wing, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades as a terrorist organization.

woodchuck

slider said:
More likely the team had a source close to the target. If Hamas wanted rid of him they'd do it back home. Easier no?

EDIT: Actually all they seem to have had was his flight details. Flight manifests aren't difficult for an intelligence service.

What was this buy's background? I see that Hamas had admitted he was involved in the killing of two Israeli soldiers. In the grand scheme of things that's not the worst shit coming out of that region (Hamas would of course argue military = legit target).

this way they can blame mossad

bluemax

Banned
Clearly they didn't learn the number one lesson of the Oceans 11 movies: stay away from fucking security cameras.

slider

woodchuck said:
this way they can blame mossad

Ah sorry, think I was missing the point. So when you said set him up you mean they did it themselves? Or offered him as a dangle? I mean it's not as if his death adds greatly to any Hamas PR campaign against Israel, right?

Deku

Banned
Update:
It appears some of the killers stole the identities of real people, even if the passports were forged
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...iller-and-mystery-of-forged-UK-passports.html

Grinning-Gail-Foli_1579888c.jpg

A woman named as Gail Foliard, wearing a black wig over her blonde hair, seen on hotel CCTV at the time of the killing.

The Foreign Office was investigating how the identities of six innocent Britons — at least three of whom lived in Israel — came to be used by the alleged hit team.

Hamas, the Islamist group that controls Gaza, blamed Mossad, the Israeli intelligence service, for the killing of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, who was found dead in a hotel room in Dubai last month.

Israel refused to comment on claims that the 11-strong hit squad were its agents, but any admission that it was behind the assassination would threaten Britain’s fragile intelligence-sharing agreement with Mossad.

As police in Dubai released CCTV footage of the suspects yesterday, some of the Britons whose identities were stolen voiced their anger after waking up to discover that they had been named in the plot.

"I have not left Israel for two years and I certainly have not been to Dubai recently," said Kent-born Paul Keeley, 42, a builder who has lived on a Kibbutz in northern Israel for the past 15 years.

"When I first heard about this I immediately looked to make sure my passport was still there and it was. It has not been stolen, so I don’t know what on earth has happened.

"I woke up this morning and suddenly my life is like an espionage movie. It is all very worrying but I know I have not done anything wrong.
"

zon

It seems very odd to use so many people to murder one man. Must've upped the risk of getting caught a whole lot.

slider

A law unto themselves. What does the Israeli constitution say about illegal entry into property?

I know a young lady who worked at the American Embassy in Tel Aviv. Her apartment was "broken into" practically every day. Coincidentally sometimes they'd leave her passport on her bed. Anyway, one day she left a note on her door saying "please don't let my kitten get out..."

Well . . . it wasn't all that perfect. You know about it and you are looking at the pictures of the alleged killers. If the operation was that great, we really wouldn't know any of this.

Edit: Damn it . . . beat by the post just before mine.:lol

Brera said:
If they were so professional and good...how come we know exactly what they did, who they are etc.

Well they did pull it off and successfully kill a man in a way that made it look like natural causes. Once the authorities knew who the man who died really was they decided to look more closely at the case. Once that happened it was all downhill for the agents. It's pretty difficult to hide from cameras nowadays.

Jin

zon said:
It seems very odd to use so many people to murder one man. Must've upped the risk of getting caught a whole lot.

Agent 47 was unavailable at the time.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Pretty neat story about how it was all set up. Wonder who the political influence was who paid for all the hotels and flights. I'd assume these hotels in Dubai are a little more expensive then your Best Western or Super 8 motels.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Interesting story, but these people were fucking terrible at their job if their photos are splattered everywhere.
As others have said it's nearly impossible to avoid security cameras these days without looking suspicious.

Canova

Banned
I don't need no stinking investigation, by the sheer of badassness, I knew it's Mossad, pretty much the only secret force who could pull this off.

Brera said:
If they were so professional and good...how come we know exactly what they did, who they are etc.

they only know it days after the fact.

canova said:
I don't need no stinking investigation, by the sheer of badassness, I knew it's Mossad, pretty much the only secret force who could pull this off.

Mossad are better than this. This was obviously a freelance job. Whether or not it was Mossad who initiated it is anyone's guess.

Jin

Smokey said:
who is mossad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossad

The Mossad is responsible for intelligence collection and covert operations including paramilitary activities. It is one of the main entities in the Israeli Intelligence Community, along with Aman (military intelligence) and Shin Bet (internal security), but its director reports directly to the Prime Minister. Its role and function in Israel is similar to that of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) in America and Great Britain, respectively.

Cruzader

Banned
Munich 2???

Seriously though, it seems to me the guy was set up by his own crew. Why didnt he have security and the hitmen knew before hand where he was gonna be at.

Tim the Wiz said:
Mossad are better than this. This was obviously a freelance job. Whether or not it was Mossad who initiated it is anyone's guess.

How would Mossad have disabled the cameras? Once the police knew who the guy was they assumed it was murder, even though the autopsy said otherwise. Once they had the video from the hotel they just followed the dead guys movements from when he got to Dubai and matched up the people from the hotel video. With the amount of security cameras everywhere nowadays there really wasn't much they could do to prevent being seen. There only hope was that his death would be ruled natural causes then quietly go away.

This is probably going to be a wake up call for groups like Mossad that they cant go about things the way they have in the past.

R2D4

Banned
goomba said:

Don't worry. I'm sure some American's will die in Afghanistan this week. Maybe that will make you feel better.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Agent 47 references in this thread
:lol

Dubai

Total Kills: 1
Shots Fired: 0
Shots Hit: 0
Close Combat Kills: 1
Accidents: 0
Head Shots: 0
Bodies Found: 1
Covers Blown: 0
Witnesses: 0
Caught On Camera: Yes

Ranking: Professional

devilhawk

So pretty much the passports were of other people, the killers were in disguise, and there won't be anything international about the manhunt at all.

I <3 Memes said:
How would Mossad have disabled the cameras? Once the police knew who the guy was they assumed it was murder, even though the autopsy said otherwise. Once they had the video from the hotel they just followed the dead guys movements from when he got to Dubai and matched up the people from the hotel video. With the amount of security cameras everywhere nowadays there really wasn't much they could do to prevent being seen. There only hope was that his death would be ruled natural causes then quietly go away.

This is probably going to be a wake up call for groups like Mossad that they cant go about things the way they have in the past.

Oh, it was effective, alright. And there's little chance their real identities will ever be found out. But the methodology was somewhat crude and took more than ten people. Plus, the intel on his whereabouts was extremely good, almost too good... I'm just saying: (1) Mossad would likely be quieter or less incidental unless their intent was to instill terror, in which case (2) an elite outfit needing so many people is odd; and (3) there's a strong chance this was an inside job by Hamas utilized as a way to kill two birds with one stone - take care of an untrustworthy official while sniping away at Israel's international reputation. Personally, I think it was a freelance operation hired by either Mossad or Hamas or another interested party.

If it was indeed Mossad, they have a great make-up department.

Deku

Banned
plenty of Caucasian soldiers of fortune floating around out there. No need for make up.

But the woman smiling right at the camera, does indeed indicate the killers knew they were being filmed and didn't care because they had fake passports and their disguises would not really reveal who they were.

Sealda

Banned
The people saying they were not pros because they got caught on cameras do not know what they are talking about.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I would say awesome but 11 people for a strangle that left behind mad evidence....na son.

unless it was the mussad then it's awesome again because they will leave some evidence and dare you to say somethin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom